The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-22-2019, 08:47 PM
Heir Apparent

On this day, November 23, 1609 - Birth of Sophia Eleonore of Saxony, Landgravine of Hesse-Darmstadt, the wife of Landgrave George II of Hesse-Darmstadt

Old 11-24-2019, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

On this day, November 25, 1868 - Birth of Ernest Ludwig, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine

Old 11-25-2019, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

On this day, November 26, 1647 - Birth of Maria Hedwig of Hesse-Darmstadt, the spouse of Bernhard I, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen
Old 11-26-2019, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

On this day, November 27, 1676 - Birth of Friedrich Anton Ulrich, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont in Waldeck
Old 11-27-2019, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

On this day, November 28, 1811 - Birth of King Maximilian II of Bavaria in Munich
Old 11-29-2019, 04:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

1329- birth of John I, Duke of Bavaria. His father Henry XIV was briefly considered for the German crown when Louis IV, Holy Roman Emperor considered resigning. His mother was Margaret of Bohemia. Margaret's siblings included Bonne of France (wife of John II) and Charles IV Holy Roman Emperor

1690- birth of Christian August, Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst. Best known as father of Sophie Auguste aka Catherine the Great of Russia. His son would die childless and Anhalt-Zerbst was divided and ceased to exist.

1253- death of Otto II of Bavaria. He was father of Louis (Ludwig) II known as the Strict of Bavaria. Ludwig beheaded his first wife Marie of Brabant on false charges of adultery, and later founded an abbey in penance.Ludwig's son Louis IV would be Holy Roman emperor. Another grandson of Otto II would be king of Hungary. Bavaria was devided between Ludwig and his brother Henry. Henry married Elizabeth of Hungary who was a daughter of Bela IV of Hungary. Due to his maternal grandfather, Henry's son Otto was offered the vacant Hungarian throne.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

On this day, November 29, 1918 - Birth of Prince Friedrich Josias of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
Old 11-30-2019, 01:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Nov 30 977 Otto II (Holy Roman emperor, King of Germany) lifts the siege on Paris after his rearguard is defeated by the Frankish forces of Lothar III. The two men were brother in laws. Lothar was married to Otto's older half sister Emma (Emma was the daughter of their mother Adelaide's first husband Lothar of Italy, Otto was her son from her 2nd husband Otto I Holy Roman Emperor). The French troops were under the leadership of Hugh Capet who would later become King of the Franks (he was a nephew of Otto's father).

Adelaide actually supported her son in law over her son, and left Otto's court to move to the court of her brother Conrad who was King of Burgundy.

1310-Birth of Frederick II, Margrave of Meissen, known as the serious.

912- Death of Otto I of Saxony called the Illustrious. He was the great-grandfather of the above Otto II through his only son Henry the Fowler.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

On this day, December 2, 1767 - Birth of Leopold I, Prince of Lippe in Detmold, County of Lippe-Detmold
Old 12-01-2019, 11:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

1848 following the abdication of his Uncle, Emperor Ferdinand, Archduke Franz became Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria. He chose to go by his first two Christian names (had gone simply by the nickname Franzi growing up) as a nod to his great-grand uncle Emperor Joseph II who was known as a great reformer. Ferdinand should have been succeeded by his brother, Franz's father Franz Karl. Franz Karl though was unambitious and gave up his claim in favor of his son. Franz Joseph's mother Sophie had always known her son would be emperor, and had trained him from a young age. He grew up idolizing the rule of his grandfather.

1463- death of Albert VI, Archduke of Austria. He was the brother Frederick III, Holy Roman Emperor. The two brothers feuded over land for decades, with Albert being the stronger military leader of the two. He often kept his brother having to constantly move his court. Albert would die childless though and his lands reverted back to his older brother anyways.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

On this day, December 3, 1764 - Birth of Augusta of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel. She was the first wife of the future King Frederick I of Wurttemberg.

On this day, December 3, 1838 - Birth of Luise of Prussia, Grand Duchess of Baden, the spouse of Grand Duke Friedrich I of Baden
Old 12-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
912- Death of Otto I of Saxony called the Illustrious. He was the great-grandfather of the above Otto II through his only son Henry the Fowler.

Otto was buried at Gandersheim Abbey in Lower Saxony,Germany however his tomb has not been preserved as most of the abbey's statues/monuments and altars were smashed up during an iconoclastic riot in 1543 during the Reformation .

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Old 12-04-2019, 08:56 PM
Heir Apparent

On this day, December 5, 1916 - Demise of Augusta of Cambridge, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Old 12-05-2019, 04:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

1757- Battle of Leuthen. The Prussian army of Frederick the Great won a victory over the Austrian Netherland's army under the command of Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine during the seven years war. Though a victory for Frederick, he suffered major losses including 2 of his main generals.

1969- the death of Princess Alice of Battenberg, mother of Prince Philip. Born in Windsor, she spent her childhood between Hesse (her maternal grandfather was Grand Duke), London and Malta where her father was stationed.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

On this day, December 6, 1820 - Birth of Alexandrine of Baden, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. She was the spouse of Duke Ernest II of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

983- death of Otto II, Holy Roman emperor and king of Germany.He was the third son of Otto I The Great, and Adelaide of Italy. His three older brothers, having a half-brother from his father's first marriage, all died and he was crown prince by the age of two. He was succeeded by his 3 year old son Otto III. Henry II (The Quarelsome), a cousin of Otto II was the closet male relative to the toddler king. Henry was imprisoned at the time, after rebelling against Otto II. He was released from prison to serve as regent. Henry kidnapped Otto III and tried to usurp the throne. Otto III's mother Empress Theophanu and her mother in law got him to surrender.Theophanu would serve as regent for her son until her death. His grandmother Adelaide would serve as his final regent until he came of age.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Heir Apparent

On this day, December 8, 1875 - Demise of Leopold III, Prince of Lippe
Old 12-07-2019, 11:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

1699- Birth of Maria Josepha of Austria, daughter of Joseph I, Holy Roman Emperor. She was Electress of Saxony and final queen of Poland. Cousin of Empress Maria Theresa. Due to her grandfather Leopold, Josepha actually was heir to the throne (Theresa's father Charles succeeded Joseph but on the understanding Joseph's daughters came before Charles') but gave up her claim to marry. Her younger sister Amalia and Amalia's husband laying claim to the throne led to the Austrian war of succession.

1708- coincidentally enough it is also the birthday of Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor, eventual husband of Empress Maria Theresa. He was the son of Leopold, Duke of Lorraine. His grandmother was a Hapsburg.

1780- and to keep the birthdate rolling in that family, you get Archduke Maximilian Franz, the youngest of 16 children of Francis I and Maria Theresa. He was archbishop-elector of Cologne. He is best known as the second patron of Beethoven.

1722- death of Elizabeth Charlotte of the Palatine. Granddaughter of Elizabeth Stuart, she was first cousins of George I of Great Britain. Her father was Charles I Louis, Elector Palatine. She married Philippe I, Duke of Orleans, younger brother of Louis XIV. Her son Philippe served as la Regent to Louis XV in the period known as the Regency.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

On this day, December 9, 1806 - Demise of Franz Friedrich Anton, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld
Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

1482- Birth of Frederick II The wise, Elector Palatine.

Frederick II had quite the interesting love life. Frederick was a figure at the Hapsburg court. In 1514 Christian II came looking for a wife. Eleanor of Castille was sought, but as the eldest child, she was thought too valuable as she or her kids may see the throne. Instead her younger sister Isabella was chosen by their grandfather, and became queen of Denmark. In 1517 Frederick was caught having a love affair with Eleanor. He was exiled by her furious brother Charles V. A year later Eleanor married Manuel I of Portugal, and later Frances I of France. Frederick would remain single for 18 years before he married Dorothea of Denmark who just happened to be Eleanor's niece. He and Dorothea had no children.

Frederick was his father's fourth son. He only became Elector on the death of his eldest brother Louis in 1544. Louis and his wife Sibylla of Bavaria had no children. The next brother Philip never married and died in 1541. The third brother Ruprecht had died in 1504, but he had two living sons. Frederick served as guardian to his nephews Otto Henry and Philip. Since he died childless, he was succeeded by his nephew Otto Henry.

1117- death of Getrude of Brunswick. She was the daughter of Margrave Egbert I of Meissen. She was married three times, Countess of Katlenberg by her first husband and Margravine of Frisia by her first two husbands. She served as regent for her sons by both husbands, till they came of age.

Gertrude's father was succeeded by her brother Egbert II. Egbert though quarrelled with Henry IV and his position as Margrave of Meissen was stripped and given to Henry the Elder. His remaining lands though had gone to Gertrude and her second husband. In 1102 Henry married the widowed Gertrude to cement his rule as Margrave. He was succeeded by his son Henry II who was born posthumously. Henry II would die childless.

Gertrude had a daughter Richenza (who inherited the lands of her half brother Henry though not the titles) by her second husband. Richenza married Lothar III, Holy Roman emperor.

1437- death of Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor. Sigismund was known as the founder of the Order of the Dragon which was founded to fight the Turks. His first wife Mary was Queen of Hungary in her own right. Her sister tried to claim the throne when Mary died, but Sigismund remained king. He later married Barbara of Cilli and had one child, Elizabeth. Elizabeth's husband Albert V, Archduke of Austria would succeed his father in law as king of Hungary, Germany and Bohemia.