Grand Ducal Houses of Mecklenburg (Schwerin and Strelitz)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hassan Sayed Kamil emigrated to Canada sometime after his wife was killed.

Hereditary Grand Duchess Karin of Mecklemburg-Schwerin, née von Schaper, passed away on 26 January 2012, five days before her 92nd birthday.
She was the widow of Hereditary Grand Duke Friedrich Franz of Mecklemburg-Schwerin, the eldest son of the lase reigning Grand Duke Friedrich Franz IV; they married in 1941, divorced in 1967 and then re-married in 1977 until his death, in 2001. When Hereditary Grand Duke Friedrich Franz died, the male line of the Grand Ducal House became extinct.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f265/royal-deaths-announcements-2012-a-32277.html#post1366229
Erbgroßherzogin Karin von Mecklenburg : Traueranzeige - SHZ Trauer - SHZ Trauer

It seems that the service is in the chappel of Castle Gücksburg. The castle still belongs to the Duke of Schleswig-Holstein.

I am researching Karin Elisabeth's maternal ancestry. Her great-grandfather was Baron Maximilian von Johnston of Niederrathen (now Ratno Dolne in Poland). In August 2011, I was fortunate to travel to that beautiful area, formerly Silesia, Prussia, and visited the old castle. I am trying to find family photos of that line, and appreciate any suggestions you may have. My great-grandfather claimed to be related to the Baron, so this is very interesting to me for my genealogical research. May Grand Duchess Karin Elisabeth rest in peace...
Thank you,
Joy from USA

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you post us her ancestry from both sides from what you have?Thank you...

Hi Marc, Here is a public link to a genealogy site that lists most of Karin Elisabeth's ancestors. It has not been updated with her death, however. Karin-Elisabeth von Schaper

Are you familiar with the noble family, von Johnston? I have traced them back to the 1500's in Scotland where they originated before immigrating to Poland and Germany. It was helpful that Baron Max v. Johnston published his family history in 1891 - and I found it in the World Catalog online. It was still available from the State Library in Berlin. The v. Johnstons are also related by marriage to the "Red Baron" Manfred von Richthofen. Fascinating!
Joy

I have just heard about them,but don't know anything further :(

Thank you for this link...

Saturday the 19th of March a plaque in memory of Grand Duke Adolf Friedrich VI was unveiled at the canal bridge in Neustrelitz close to where his body was found in 1918.

Adolf Friedrich VI memorial and Hohenzieritz seasonal opening - News - House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz - www.mecklenburg-strelitz.org

What I would like to know: Why did Duke Carl Michael never marry? Was he gay? He adopted the Count of Carlow- but this would not have been necessary if he had married and fathered heirs himself. Perhaps he could not find a dynastic wife in such turbulent times? Any takers?

Duke Borwin of Mecklenberg is the direct male-line descendant of the Princes of the Obotrites. The male line of his family is actually Slavic not German. His family is one of the only surviving tribal slavic dynasties which originally ruled large parts of Eastern Europe including Poland, Pomerania & Mecklenburg. The Polish Piasts are officially extinct in the male line.

Trying to find out about husband and child of Helena of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1924-1962). She was killed in air accident but had a child by husband Hassan Sayed Kamil (1918 - ????). The daughter was named Sheila Kamil, born July 28, 1958 in Chur, Switzerland.

I made some enquires about Hassan Sayed Kamil and was told he died sometime in the 1990s but not sure of the exact date, however with this I managed to find a death record for a Hassan Sayed Kamil, who died 19 September 1991, Sidney, British Columbia aged 72 which matches with his date of birth, where he emigrated to and what I was told regarding his death so I'm quite certain it is the widow of Duchess Helene.

Sheila Kamil was living in the USA.

VIEW - SEARCH BC ARCHIVES

Last edited:
I just love being updated and reading about the Mecklenburgs...Until this site and a great work of someone who is running and maintaining it,they seemed to be a bit forgotten!So,thumbs up as they were my favorite family :)

I just have to add that I tried to view the avatar portrait picture of Grand Duke Adolf Friedrich V(which one can see in Grand Dukes section),but just couldn't as one can't find it when you enter the text below(read more) or when I enter flickr pictures...

I also think that some portraits(if pictured) should be seen in whole,just to show whole artistry of the painting and the glitter of those former rulers we,in fact,know so little about...

Last edited:
Is the Family Catholic? There were a few catholic wives recently (Austria and Hohenzollern). Any idea about potential bride for Pr Alexander? Duke Borwin married not equally - isn't it considered as morganatic marriage with no succession rights?

Is the Family Catholic? There were a few catholic wives recently (Austria and Hohenzollern). Any idea about potential bride for Pr Alexander? Duke Borwin married not equally - isn't it considered as morganatic marriage with no succession rights?

I dont think the remaining Mecklenburg branch would worry about morganatic marriage as they themselves descend from a morganatic branch.

They have been Catholic since 1920 when Duke Borwin’s grandfather Duke Georg converted, his first wife converted in 1921 a month before their first child Duke Georg Alexander was born. Its up to the head of the house if a marriage is considered morganatic and Duke Borwin’s father approved his marriage as dynastic.

Duke Johann Albrecht (John Albert) of Mecklenburg-Schwerin was regent for Grand Duke Friedrich Franz IV. Why was Johann Albrecht chosen regent for the Duchy of Brunswick?

Hereditary Prince Alexander has continued a tradition going back eight generations to his ancestor Duke Carl (1708-1752). Duke Carl was a son of Duke Adolf Friedrich II. A member of the House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz in every generation has attended university.:flowers:

Adolf Friedrich VI of Mecklenburg-Strelitz was subsequently reported to be engaged to various European princesses. One princess was Princess Viktoria Luise of Prussia. Who were the other princesses?

Duke Borwin and his son Michael looked very diplomatic in the Flickr photos of the Grand Ducal visit.

:previous:
Because he did such a professional job as Regent of the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin some years previously.
In 1907 the Diet of the Duchy of Brunswick elected Duke Johann Albrecht as Regent to replace the late Prince Albrecht of Prussia. He accepted the offer, became Regent of the Duchy of Brunswick and remained in that position until November 1913 when the rightful Hanoverian heir was finally allowed by Prussia to ascend the Ducal throne.

Another Princess considered as a possible bride for him was Princess Patricia of Connaught, the youngest daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Connaught.

On 8 May Duke Michael met H.E. Dr. Kyriacós Kouros, Ambassador of Cyprus to the Netherlands at a Diplomats Meet & Greet at the Carlton Ambassador Hotel in the Hague.

https://twitter.com/MecklenStrelitz/status/465610503151431680

The Duke and Duchess of Mecklenburg, along with Duke Michael and Duchess Olga attended the 2014 Bernadotte Art Awards in Stockholm on Monday

Bernadotte Art Awards 2014 - 42-59101880 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis

Bernadotte Art Awards 2014 - 42-59101882 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis

The Duke and Duchess of Mecklenburg, Duke Michael, Duchess Donata and her husband Alexander von Solodkoff, Prince Heinrich XI Licco Reuss and his wife Princess Ulfa attended the reopening of Schloss Mirow on Saturday 7 June.

https://www.mecklenburg-strelitz.org/news-reopening-schloss-mirow.html#.U5cJm_ldWSo

Earlier today Duke Michael of Mecklenburg represented the grand ducal house at a memorial service marking the centenary of the death of Grand Duke Adolf Friedrich V.

News - Grand Duke Adolf Friedrich V memorial service in Mirow | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mecklenburg-strelitz/sets/72157645216692533/

It was interesting to learn that the burial of Adolf Friedrich V on June 18, 1914 marked the last gathering of the European aristocracy before Archduke Franz Ferdinand's demise.

Back
Top Bottom