Grand Ducal House of Oldenburg

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, Ducci.
Does anybody know where the marriage will be held? In Germany or in France?

I think it is such a shame that the marriage between her and Prince Jean never happened, all because she wouldn't convert to Cathlocism, now both have married non royals.

Not royals,but nobles ;)

Marc 23: Is Philomena de Tornos part of the Spanish nobility? I don't believe so... except very distantly, perhaps.

Fearghas: Is it documented that the reason why Tatjana and Jean didn't marry is because she refused to convert to Catholicism? If so, I would appreciate knowing the source. There have been rumors, of course, but people can say all kinds of things without foundation. And, in a world in which Catholic Archduke Georg of Habsburg could marry Lutheran Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg without any problem (and without her renouncing her Protestant faith), it's difficult to understand why the difference in their denomination -- which is not a difference in religion, since they are both Christian -- would prevent Prince Jean from marrying Duchess Tatjana.

Marc 23: Is Philomena de Tornos part of the Spanish nobility? I don't believe so... except very distantly, perhaps.

No, but her mother is an Austrian noble, and through her father she descends from various Spanish nobles. Her anscestors are listed here:

Ancestors of Philomena de Tornos y Steinhart

Fearghas: Is it documented that the reason why Tatjana and Jean didn't marry is because she refused to convert to Catholicism? If so, I would appreciate knowing the source. There have been rumors, of course, but people can say all kinds of things without foundation. And, in a world in which Catholic Archduke Georg of Habsburg could marry Lutheran Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg without any problem (and without her renouncing her Protestant faith), it's difficult to understand why the difference in their denomination -- which is not a difference in religion, since they are both Christian -- would prevent Prince Jean from marrying Duchess Tatjana.

There is no definate proof as none of the people involved said much about it in the press. However it was reported that that was one of the reasons. Still, I do believe that Jean once made a remark about it, and it was something along the lines that they just didn't have that much in common ... and Archduke Georg didn't have the formidable countess of Paris as a grandmother of course (or the Duchess of Montpensier as mother) :whistling:.

On Nettys forum someone seemingly in the know said that while religion played a part (the habsburgs allowed brides to retain their religion but the Orleans wouldn't) but also that there were compatability issues. So a combination of both really. Better that they didn't marry, I just want more royal/royal marriages. Oh and having a noble mother doesn't make you a noble, unless the title an be inherited through the female line, as some of the Spanish and Scottish titles can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and having a noble mother doesn't make you a noble, unless the title an be inherited through the female line, as some of the Spanish and Scottish titles can be.

I don't believe I ever said that it did :flowers:.

I think the fact that A/D Georg was not the heir played a large part is his quest for acceptance of a Protestant wife. Karl's wife, Francesca, was Protestant and had to convert.

Duchess Tatjana von Oldenburg and her fiancee Count Axel de Chavagnac were married at the Chapel of Schloss Eutin yesterday.
Duchess Tatjana wore a classical long white dress with a small train and she had a bouquet of pink flowers.
About 200 guests were present.
Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia was very impressed by the beautiful ceremony.
Present were also Archduke Georg and Archduchess Eilika of Austria, sister and brother in law of the bride.
Szofia, Ildiko and Karoly Konstantin of Austria, nieces and nephew of the bride were flowergirls and page

for more pics: see Nobiliana MAG 2010

No, but her mother is an Austrian noble, and through her father she descends from various Spanish nobles. Her anscestors are listed here:

Ancestors of Philomena de Tornos y Steinhart

One more interesting thing is that Jean and Philomena are related in several ways...they have both descended from several noble families such as Dobrzensky von Dobrzenicz,Martinic and Sternberg families...

HH Duchess Rixa of Oldenburg (b. 1970, daughter of Duke Friedrich August of Oldenburg and of his first wife, née Princess Marie Cecile of Prussia) got married to Stephan Sanders on Saturday 13 October 2012 at Hamburg.

Among the guests were the bride's mother Princess Marie Cecile of Prussia, Prince and Princess Michael of Prussia with his daughters Micaela and Nataly, Prince and Princess Christian Sigismund of Prussia with their children Prince Christian and Princess Irina, Duchess Helene of Oldenburg, Andreas and Kira-Marina von Bismarck (she is a cousin of the bride, daughter of the late Princess Kira of Prussia), Patrick and Sebastian Lithander (cousins of the bride, sons of the late Princess Xenia of Prussia) and their wives, Duchess Marie-Alix of Schleswig-Holstein, Prince and Princess Dimitri of Russia, the Prince and Princess zu Salm-Salm, Count and Countess Matthias zu Castell-Rüdenhausen.

La duchesse Rixa d'Oldenburg, remise de ses fiançailles ratées, s'est mariée

It seems that the Prussian relatives who did not attend the wedding of Georg-Friedrich are all here (and vice versa). Her father & stephmother didn't attend the wedding either? Neither do I see pictures of her sister Bibiane or brother Paul Vladimir & his wife Pilar. Of course the photographer may have 'missed' them.

I believe Duchess Rixa is/was a fashion designer, she used to be in Point de Vue magazine from time to time, usually pictured while attending a social event in Paris.

Last edited:
I imagine the reason for the divide lies mostly in the legal battle that resulted over Prince Louis Ferdinand's will, but I wonder if the remarriage of the bride's father Friedrich August to his former sister-in-law Donata played a part as well.

Her Father Friedrich August did not attend ?
Her Uncles Princes of Prussia are looking old and are wearing sunglasses, do they have eye-ilnesses ?
Rixa is not royal at all , but her Mother still is.

It seems that the Prussian relatives who did not attend the wedding of Georg-Friedrich are all here (and vice versa). Her father & stephmother didn't attend the wedding either? Neither do I see pictures of her sister Bibiane or brother Paul Vladimir & his wife Pilar. Of course the photographer may have 'missed' them.

I believe Duchess Rixa is/was a fashion designer, she used to be in Point de Vue magazine from time to time, usually pictured while attending a social event in Paris.

The bride's brother Duke Paul was there as he was the one who gave her away.
I imagine the reason for the divide lies mostly in the legal battle that resulted over Prince Louis Ferdinand's will, but I wonder if the remarriage of the bride's father Friedrich August to his former sister-in-law Donata played a part as well.

At the Wedding of Duke Paul both Princess Marie Cécile and Duke Friedrich Auguast and Duchess Donata attended and the same for the Wedding of Duchess Eilika and Archduke Georg so i think it has more to do with the prussian Family Rift.
But interesting that almost nobody from the Oldenburg Family attended with the exception of Duchess Helene.

Last edited:
I think that Rixa due to her several previously unsuccessfull engagements with rather low profiled commonors and her frequent presence in the media ( mostly local/ regional media) as well as her eye catching look is not much beloved by the very discret and rather brash grand ducal family. And then - of course - the family fight is still going on.

If Rixa holds hand with her mother instead of her father, it doesn't wonder me, that Georg Friedrich didn't attend, as his mother is married to her father, who went on divorce.
AND Sophie is pregnant by the way. She has a job and is definitely stressed out with all the representative duties. Maybe that's another reason they didn't attend ( assumind they were invited).

Last edited:
the battle is largely over, but there may be some lingering issues. The Uncles and aunt did not attend Georg Friedrich's wedding, nor did the Oldenburg children although Rixa had kind remarks to say about Georg and Sophie. Georg's cousins, the children of Friedrich Wilhelm and Christian Sigismund, did attend his wedding.

Friedrich August was apparently not thrilled with his son's conversion to the RC faith (several years before his marriage), and his children have been denied the HH because they are not being raised Lutheran, apparently.

:oldenburgflag: Princess Cecilia of Sweden (1807-1844) was the daughter of King Gustav IV Adolf and Queen Frederica of Sweden.
She married Grand Duke Augustus of Oldenburg.
As Grand Duchess of Oldenburg, Cecilia composed the melody of a hymn for Oldenburg. The hymn was later added with lyrics by Theodor von Kobbe and named "Heil der, o Oldenburg".
In 1833 Grand Duchess Cecilia supported the founding of The Oldenburgisches Staatstheater (The Oldenburg State Theatre) in the city of Oldenburg.
The Oldenburg Institute was founded by Duke Alexander of Oldenburg and his wife, Princess Eugenia of Leuchtenburg.
Its purpose was to teach two thousand boys and girls trade and technical education.
Half the boys and girls were lodged at the Institute at the expense of the Duke and Duchess of Oldenburg.

HH Duchess Tatjana of Oldenburg (1974), daughter of Duke Johann of Oldenburg (19400 and Ilka zu Ortenburg (1942), sister of HIRH AD Eilika of Austria (1972), and her husband Count Axel de Chavagnac (1967) had a second daughter, Astrid in Paris on 31 January 2014; a sister for Alexandrine, who was born in September 2011.

Royal Musings: More babies!!!

Congratulations to the couple, Astrid and Alexandrine are lovely names for siblings. :flowers:

And their father's name is Axel, so also beginning with an A. Only their mother is Tatiana.
Congrats to them!

Delighted for them, what a pity we never see any pix of them !

Death of HH Duke Anton Günther, Head of the Grand Ducal House

Oldenburgsmall2.jpg

HH Duke Anton Günther, Duke of Oldenburg
Head of the Grand Ducal House of Oldenburg

(1923-2014)

HH Duke Anton Günther, Head of the Grand Ducal House of Oldenburg, passed away on September 20, age 91.

He was born in 1923, the son of Nikolaus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Oldenburg (1897-1970) and Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1899-1948).
He succeeded to the Headship on his father's death in 1970.

He is survived by his wife, née Princess Ameli of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg, their children Helene and Christian (who now succeeds his father as
Head of the Grand Ducal House), his four grandchildren, and his younger siblings and their families.

Source: Royal Musings: The death of Duke Anton Günther of Oldenburg

Her Royal Highness Duchess Ameli of Oldenburg, née Princess zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg, passed away at Eutin on 26 March 2016, aged 93.

She was born on 4 March 1923 as the eldest child of Fürst Udo zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg and of his wife, née Countess Margarete zu Castell-Castell.
She was married from 1951 until his death in 2014 to H.R.H. Duke Anton Günther of Oldenburg, Head of the Grand Ducal Family from 1970 to 2014, by whom she had one son, Christian, and one daughter, Helene.

AMELI HERZOGIN VON OLDENBURG : Traueranzeige : Kieler Nachrichten / Segeberger Zeitung

Back
Top Bottom