Grand Ducal House of Baden (Zahringen)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Being cousins doesn’t neccessarily mean knowing each other very well nowdays… Just saying…

QEII and Philip may have known them but that doesn’t automatically mean that Charles and Anne does…

Who could they honestly have sent? The Gloucester’s aren’t close to the Baden royals, The Cambridge’s had an engagement today, Charles had an engagement today, Anne had an engagement today also and I already mentioned the Wessexes weren’t close to them. Plus they never invited or went to the weddings of the late Margraves children

It's a 1 hour flight, 2 maximum. So an angagement today is not a good excuse.

I’m sure the House of Baden understands why they couldn’t come and I’m sure condolences were sent. Which of them could have gone? I don’t think the Wessexes were close to them plus William and Kate had an engagement today.
Who could they honestly have sent? The Gloucester’s aren’t close to the Baden royals, The Cambridge’s had an engagement today, Charles had an engagement today, Anne had an engagement today also and I already mentioned the Wessexes weren’t close to them. Plus they never invited or went to the weddings of the late Margraves children
The Windsors are free to do what they want, but I don't think anyone would have objected if an engagement was cancelled for the funeral of a first cousin. Other royals has no problems with cancelling engagements or splitting up a double engagement to go to funerals of close friends and relatives. For instance on Monday King Carl Gustav & Queen Silvia has pulled out of a planned luncheon with the members of the previous government to go to King Constantine's funeral and Princess Beatrix has cancelled one of her planned engagements.
But I guess the Windsors are always going to Windsor.

Last edited:
"the Wessexes weren’t close to them"? We don't know about their personal relationship, but by blood, Edward, Earl of Wessex was Max's first cousin
They never went to events hosted by them and they weren’t at Edwards wedding either. Them being first cousins isn’t that big of a deal because Max is literally old enough to be Edwards father, he’s much closer in age to the late Margraves son than the Margrave himself. Margrave Max is more of Anne and Charles’s age mate than Edward.

They never went to events hosted by them and they weren’t at Edwards wedding either. Them being first cousins isn’t that big of a deal because Max is literally old enough to be Edwards father, he’s much closer in age to the late Margraves son than the Margrave himself. Margrave Max is more of Anne and Charles’s age mate than Edward.

Yeah, as I said, we don't know for sure how their personal relationship. But they didn't need to be in a "very close" relationship in order to attend the funeral. Edward or any descendants of Philip, could attend as the representative of the family of Max's uncle (a.k.a Philip).

Yeah, as I said, we don't know for sure how their personal relationship. But they didn't need to be in a "very close" relationship in order to attend the funeral. Edward or any descendants of Philip, could attend as the representative of the family of Max's uncle (a.k.a Philip).
I don’t know but sometimes not everyone attends funerals or weddings of people they may have close blood ties to but not necessarily close relationships.

I don’t know but sometimes not everyone attends funerals or weddings of people they may have close blood ties to but not necessarily close relationships.

Amen to that!True,and OK too.

What is the connexion with Prince Albert and the Princess of Hannover ? Unclear
Because no other of the Hannover attended.

I'm rather surprised that the Windsor's don't have a representative at this funeral. The new Margrave -- Berthold --- was one of Philip's nephews who walked in procession behind his coffin at the 30-person funeral. To say that the families weren't close is ridiculous. Berthold and his wife also attended the Memorial Service, and QEII's funeral.

Prince Albert of Monaco and Princess Caroline of Hanover (Monaco) are siblings and the Grimaldis are descendants of the House of Baden.

I'm rather surprised that the Windsor's don't have a representative at this funeral. The new Margrave -- Berthold --- was one of Philip's nephews who walked in procession behind his coffin at the 30-person funeral. To say that the families weren't close is ridiculous. Berthold and his wife also attended the Memorial Service, and QEII's funeral.
When I was talking about closeness, I was referring to certain members of the BRF not being close ie. Edward. The Queen and late DOE were much closer in age and relations to the late Margrave than their children. The Margrave being close relation and having close relations to the late DOE doesn’t necessarily mean that the wider BRF were close to him. I’m sure private condolences were sent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Albert of Monaco and Princess Caroline of Hanover (Monaco) are siblings and the Grimaldis are descendants of the House of Baden.
Thanks. I had no idea about this connection Monaco / Baden.
So the Grimaldis are German.

Ofc I know that Prince Albert and the Princess of Hannover are siblings. But thanks for the other info.

Ofc I know that Prince Albert and the Princess of Hannover are siblings. But thanks for the other info.
No I am saying Caroline and her brother are descendants of Princess Marie Amelie of Baden who married one of the Dukes of Hamilton. They are descendants of the royal house via a female line and Albert invited the Grand Ducal house to his 2011 wedding

No, the Grimaldis are mainly of French descent. They descend from the House of Baden through Lady Victoria Douglas-Hamilton who was a granddaughter of Grand Duke Karl of Baden. Lady Victoria married Prince Albert I of Monaco and is the great-great grandmother of Prince Albert and Princess Caroline.

Well all my fathers nieces, nephews and cousins all attended his funeral because they knew him and he knew them well - but i surely won’t attend all of theirs - because i don’t even know most of them…

Seeing each other at weddings and funerals once every 25 years or so, doesn’t guarantee that your’e close personally

Last edited:
I looked at the guests present at the funeral- Hohenzollern, Hannover, Grimaldi, King of Belgians, even Prince of Jordan bothered to be present but none from Windsor dynasty... It's reminds me the issue when nobody from British royals has attended the funeral of Queen Fabiola of Belgians....:ermm: A bit shame I think.....

Ekaterina of Hanover was at the funeral because you can see on the fashion thread about German, French and Luxembourg’s royals

I looked at the guests present at the funeral- Hohenzollern, Hannover, Grimaldi, King of Belgians, even Prince of Jordan bothered to be present but none from Windsor dynasty... It's reminds me the issue when nobody from British royals has attended the funeral of Queen Fabiola of Belgians....:ermm: A bit shame I think.....
The Jordanian royals have been close with the Grand Ducal family for years and have been invited to their weddings and the Grand Ducal family likewise have reciprocated those invites when they attended the wedding of Prince Hassan of Jordan’s son and they have been invited to wedding of some of the German royal houses.

The Jordanian royals have been close with the Grand Ducal family for years and have been invited to their weddings and the Grand Ducal family likewise have reciprocated those invites when they attended the wedding of Prince Hassan of Jordan’s son and they have been invited to wedding of some of the German royal houses.

We can go round and round for a couple more days, but it seems obvious, some of us feel the British Royal family made a shoddy effort and could have sent a member of the family to show some respect and some people don't.

Last edited:
We can go round and round for a couple more days, but it seems obvious, some of us feel the British Royal family made a shoddy effort and could have sent a member of the family to show some respect and some people don't.
How do we even know they were invited? For all we know they might not have been invited.

Such a small guest list, but it is understandable that they want to keep the list small.

Considering that most 'Germans didn't even know who he was (except the small minority of people who are interested in german nobility) i think the guest list is impressive.

His death wasn't even mentioned in all big 'German newspapers, not even in those tabloids thar regularly report of royal news.

The only old nobility here who are often present in the media are:

Georg friedrich of Prussia (not often)
The house of hanover (sadly to say because of Ernst August Seniors scandals and that he is still married to Caroline)
and Ernst A. is doing a very good job for the reputation of that family!

The Thurn and Taxis (because Gloria is very busy)
the Sayn Wittgensteins, partly of their relations to Danish nobility

Did I miss anybody?

Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibylla often attend Royal Events.

Princess Carolie should have come with her Daughter HRH Princess Alexandra of Hannover. She seems unknown by the German Royals

Princess Carolie should have come with her Daughter HRH Princess Alexandra of Hannover. She seems unknown by the German Royals
Well Alexandra lives in Monaco. She’s known to the families she’s closely related to like Hanover, Prussia, Leiningen, etc and her life is different from their royals living in Germany.

How do we even know they were invited? For all we know they might not have been invited.
If the Windsors weren't welcome to the funeral they wouldn't have representatives there.
I don't know what the custom is in Germany, but as a Swede I've never heard of anyone being invited to a funeral. Funerals are generally open to everyone.

If the Windsors weren't welcome to the funeral they wouldn't have representatives there.
I don't know what the custom is in Germany, but as a Swede I've never heard of anyone being invited to a funeral. Funerals are generally open to everyone.
But there was a list of who would be coming and the list didn’t mention them at all. The Grand Ducal family obviously had contact with those they could invite before making announcements

Well at these levels, I’m quite sure the new Margrave of Baden sent out invitations (or even a simple phone call) to royalty at least. The chapel seems small and overall it looked like a private event not everyone could attend. This may mean that some selection is made and therefore invitations were issued.

Maybe some members of the BRF will pay a private visit in the next weeks. I don’t expect it but also don’t exclude it.

They were, otherwise they would not have sent 'representatives' (who were already planning to attend as they are other relatives of the same (Philip's) side of the family).

That is the case for funerals of normal people. But not for those of prominent people like for politicans and royals etc.

According to the guest list, the BRF sent "representatives".

In Vertretung S.M. Des Königs von Großbritannien:
S.K.H. Landgraf Donatus von Hessen
In Vertretung I.K.H. Prinzessin Anne (Princess Royal von Großbritannien):
S.D. Der Fürst zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg
In Vertretung S.K.H. Prinz Edward (Earl of Wessex):
S.G.H. Prinz Berthold von Baden

For me it is pretty hard to believe that the BRF hasn't been invited, afterall the Badens had attended the recent two Windsor funerals. They didn't send any member to attend, that is it. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom