The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Gentry

I think I'm correct when I say that there are two that are technically styled HI&RH. Georg Friedrich Prinz von Preussen and Archduke Dr. Otto von Habsburg. Is that right?

Old 07-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Administrator

All Habsburg Archdukes and Archduchesses are HI&RH (Imperial of Austria, Royal of Hungary and Bohemia), including the Tuscan branch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia
Why not Maria laura of Belgium or Alexandra of Luxembourg or Maria Anonciata of Liechtenstein ??
You've picked three Catholic Princesses for a Protestant Prince. Possible, but unlikely.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Warren , correct , I forgot this. Are the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen protestant too ??
Old 07-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

No, the Sigmaringen branch is Catholic...maybe the son of Hereditary Prince Carl Friedrich of Hohenzollern (his eldest son, born in 1987, I don't remember his name) can be a good choice for one of these Princess...
Old 07-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
He is still HI&RH am sure Prince Georg will never marry a communor.
Why not Maria laura of Belgium or Alexandra of Luxembourg or Maria Anonciata of Liechtenstein ??
I wonder why Archiduke Otto allowed his son Karl's strange and impossible wedding ?
Karl will be a (divorced, he may not) but separeted Head of the Imperial House of Habsburg.
That would be great matches and it would be great to have a marriage between the Royal Family of Prussia and the Habsburgs. In the past this was impossible becausde of the faith of the future children. For example Duchess Viktoria LUise of Brundwick tells in in one of her books that her brother Joachim fell in love with an Archduchess but a marriage was out of the Question because the Courts could not agree about the faith of the children of this marriage. The Hohenzollerns want the chuildren raised protestant and the Habsburgs catholic.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
All Habsburg Archdukes and Archduchesses are HI&RH (Imperial of Austria, Royal of Hungary and Bohemia), including the Tuscan branch.

You've picked three Catholic Princesses for a Protestant Prince. Possible, but unlikely.
In the past Georg Friedrich was linked to Princess Sophie of Isenburg who is catholic. I think in this day they would agree about a faith for children. They could still raise the sons protestant (as the would continie the Hohenzollern Family) and daughters catholic.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

in other words non-reigning houses are more strict than those ruling? At the moment it is -as far as I know- a Christian would be fine.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
...Duchess Viktoria LUise of Brundwick tells in in one of her books that her brother Joachim fell in love with an Archduchess but a marriage was out of the Question because the Courts could not agree about the faith of the children of this marriage.
That's intresting: can you remember which was the Archduchess?
A marriage of an Archduchess in a Protestant family had already happened: AD Valerie married in the Baden family. I am not sure but I think her children were raisen protestant. However seing an Habsburg raise her children as protestant still make some sense to me.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

No name was mentioned. Yes the Baden are protestant but the marriage was long after the fall of the austiran-hungarian Empire. Also Archduchess Eilika, nee Duchess of Oldenburg remained protestant and there was even a protestant Pastor at the marriage-ceremony. But also in the past some Archduchess remained oprotestant like Duchess Dorothea of Württemberg, third wife of Archudhcess Hoseph. But it was out of the question that their children would be raised catholic.
What i wanted to say that there was never a marriage betweeen the Habsburg and the Prussian Families.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-20-2010, 06:50 AM

Deutsches Adelsrechtsausschuß and Cognatic Succession

I could use some help please. I was reviewing a copy of my families' letter patent which was created in Bavaria in the 1700s and have a couple questions maybe someone can help me with.

First, it talks about the titles and privileges being passed down to "all legitimate heirs, male and female, for time immemorial" and it says this a couple times in basically the same way " all legitimate descendants male and female for all time". Is this a cognatic (full linear) protocol? It seems pretty progressive for 1700.

My other question is whether anyone knows about the Deutsches Adelsrechtsausschuß? I understand from the internet that this is an authoritative body or group that confirms german nobility? Is this a legit organization? What's its purpose?

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:16 AM

Why the marriage of Adam Albert von Neipperg with Empress Marie Louise, former wife of Napoleon Bonaparte, was considered morganatic, as the Neipperg family was a mediatised comital family of the Holy Roman Empire?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von View Post

My other question is whether anyone knows about the Deutsches Adelsrechtsausschuß? I understand from the internet that this is an authoritative body or group that confirms german nobility? Is this a legit organization? What's its purpose?
The German Adelsrechtsausschuss consists of the different nobility organizations of Germany. The members examine and decide in all the cases (cases like adoption, if you are able to have an emblem, if you are allowed to have that nobility name etc.) that concern nobility law, even without a request. They are also in charge of the genealogical handbook.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Then she was wrong. It is true that after 1806's Reichsdeputationshauptschluß, when most of the small, formerly independant prince- and dukedoms lost their territorial souverainity, the "zu" was used to mark this former souverainity (while the still reigning Houses only use the "von"). Eg the Fuerst zu Schaumburg-Lippe, meaning the Head of this family once ruled as a souverain over the princedom of Schaumburg-Lippe. So it is often used by mediatised families, especially those who could keep their palaces/estates within their former territory. But this is just one case of the usage and not all mediatised families used this form of title.
This message really made me curious because of the date 1806 and the statement "when most of small, formerly independant prince- and dukedoms lost their territorial souverainity.

Where can I find more information on this. We have a story in my family that I am trying to explore a little further. Could I be so lucky as to find out a list of names and locations for these events? Probably not. Any information you have for me would be helpful.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Courtier

this might help you: "Mediatize" -- what does it mean?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Aristocracy

Legally, Karl Friedrich is not a prince. He has the surname Fürst von Hohenzollern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amedea View Post
It's catholicism different in Germany from Italy, where I live, or it's different just for princes? A catholic blessing for remarried divorcees sounds very new and incoherent to me!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Nobility

No that's wrong. In his passport his name is Karl Friedrich Prinz von Hohenzollern. German law doesn't know any noble titles. After 1918 the minor family title after the head became part of the name of all family members.

When there was a King, know the family members are prince and princess AND additional Duke and Ducches; except Würrtemberg - they call themselves only Duke and Ducches.
Example: Iris Prinzessin von Sachsen Herzogin zu Sachsen. Sophie Prinzessin von Bayern, Herzogin in Bayern.When there was a grandduke, today all are named as Duke of xyz like Friedrich Herzog von Oldenburg.

When there was a Fürst, today all are Prince and princess like Albert Prinz von Thurn und Taxis.

When there was a minor Fürst, today only the head is a prince and the rest Count(ess) like Donata Gräfin von Castell-Rhüdenhausen.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Heir Apparent

And this is precisely why I find this subject so confusing. There are so many families and titled that aren't "legal" but are still used.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

The Württemberg's are Duke/Duchess because they are no descendants of the 4 Kings. They are descending in the male-line of the brother of the first King. Only the descendants of the Kings where Prince/Princess.
As for the others it's not so easy. If you take the 6 Grand Ducal Houses from 3 (Baden, Hesse and by Rhine, Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach) the junior members are Prince/Princess.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-08-2011, 08:08 AM

How is the GRAF name related to German royalty

Hi

I am just doing some research and am wondering if anyone knows how the GRAF surname is related to German royalty or nobilism. Does anybody know the name Catherine Fredricka GRAF and her son Fredrich eberhard GRAF. They supposedly escaped Germany during world war 2? How would this be possible to happen? I would really be interested in hearing any follow up in this area.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Nobility

I don't think the last name 'Graf' has anything to do with nobility at all. The last names 'Graf' (transl. Count), 'König' (king) and 'Kaiser' (emperor) are quite common in Germany. Most German names originate from the medieval times and usually the last names were given after the profession of the individual (so a cook's last name was 'Koch' (cook in German)). In other cases last names were given because of nicknames, either mocking names ('König' for someone who behaved like he felt he was someone better than the others but in reality had nothing to do with being a King) or nicknames for special jobs (often municipal administrators were called 'Graf' to show their special profession but again it didn't have anything to do with being either noble or royal; 'König' also sometimes originates from being a king but not the king of country but being the champion shot (Schützenkönig in German).
Additionally you would need to be the "Graf of something" to be noble.

As to the question of "escaping Germany"... If they were just more or less regular citizens then it wouldn't be too easy but certainly doable to have left Germany during the 2nd world war. "Escaping" sounds a lot like fleeing from prison (in this case concentration camp) that would indeed be remarkable.