German Palaces, Castles and other Royal Buildings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Von Schlesian

Nobility
City
York
Country
United Kingdom
I must admit, my taste is far for ostentacious, so I'd be thinking more along the lines of Neuschwanstein in Bavaria, built in the 19th century by His Majesty King Ludwig II of Bavaria. It's just so majestic, and with all of it's hidden passages, performance chambers, grottos and not to mention the bed!! It has the spire of every Bavarian Cathedral carved on the top of it!

Last edited:
Schloss Pillnitz

One of my faves. A former palace of the Kings of Saxony. Very elegant.

Attachments

• Saxony Schloss Pillnitz3.jpg
    Saxony Schloss Pillnitz3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 2,485
Oh, I thought of another. No where near as enormous as Neuschwanstein, but Schloss Sansousi in Potsdam, built by King Freidrick II Der Gross von Preussen. The castle (which I believe was either being considered to be restored to the Hohenzollern family, or if it actually was). This beautiful 1 story palace sits perched on a hill, looking over a great park, a lake at it's centre. Other building in the park are the Great Palace, the Chinese tea house and the Orangery.

This palace is one of the period's finest architectural triumphs, built by the artistic and later great military leader-King Frederick the Great.

The von Schlesian Palace

Previously known as Sanssouci.
Two pics: close up and long shot.
I trust von Schlesian will have the stonework cleaned before he moves in.

Attachments

• Potsdam Schloss Sanssouci.jpg
    Potsdam Schloss Sanssouci.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 2,085
  • Potsdam Schloss Sanssouci 1.jpg
    Potsdam Schloss Sanssouci 1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 1,993
Von Schlesian said:
I must admit, my taste is far for ostentacious, so I'd be thinking more along the lines of Neuschwanstein in Bavaria, built in the 19th century by His Majesty King Louis II of Bavaria. It's just so majestic, and with all of it's hidden passages, performance chambers, grottos and not to mention the bed!! It has the spire of every Bavarian Cathedral carved on the top of it!
Could you please post pictures of the bed?

I would love to live in any palace of Saint Petersburg. What a stunnig city!

Ludwig's bed

Originally posted by Idriel. Could you please post pictures of the bed?
King Ludwig II's particularly garish bedroom in Neuschwanstein...

Attachments

• Ludwig II's bedroom N'stein.jpg
    Ludwig II's bedroom N'stein.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 3,431
Palace by the lake

Another fave. This is Monrepos, still owned by the Royal House of Württemberg.

Attachments

• Wurttemberg Schloss Monrepos.jpg
    Wurttemberg Schloss Monrepos.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,277
Last edited:
remember that room,
there is a washbasin with gold faucets, I was with a group and an arthistory professor and I touched the hot or cold faucet and at dinner it was said as a general remark that we were not allowed to touch anything in any room we visited because if everybody did so, through wear and tear etc.

Warren said:

Warren said:

Yes thanks for that Warren. When I went to see it, I remember thinking the top looked very low..

Don't worry Warren, I'll have the stone work cleaned before I move in.. (Well, at least before I have you over for coffee on the front lawn):D

Neuschwanstein

Danielle;
Here's a postcard I bought in the village at the bottom of the mountain the castle sits apon. (I couldn't bring myself to write on it an post it):)

Attachments

• Neuschwanstein2.jpg
    Neuschwanstein2.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 2,320
Speaking of Neuschwanstein...

Here are a couple of nice pics...

Attachments

• Bavaria Neuschwanstein.jpg
    Bavaria Neuschwanstein.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,839
  • Bavaria Neuschwanstein1.jpg
    Bavaria Neuschwanstein1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 2,550
if you want to see the castle inside you could rent the movie Ludwig by Visconti. I like the fake lake/grotto where he would peddle in in a swanlike boat while listening to wagner.
lots of people like Neuschwanstein because disney modeled the sleeping beauty castle after it and it reminds them of their childhood

The Grotto

susan alicia said:
I like the fake lake/grotto where he would peddle in in a swanlike boat while listening to Wagner.
Here is a pic of the Neuschwanstein grotto, plus a pic of Ludwig's gaudy bedroom at Linderhoff...

Attachments

• xxxx.jpg
    xxxx.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 859
  • Linderhoff Bedroom.jpg
    Linderhoff Bedroom.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,749
went to linderhoff too, the thing I remember most was the enormous waiting line (a few buses with visitors from Japan) just to get into a sort of small bonbonbox.

The grotto looks better in the movie when you can see it "alive". Have not been to Herrenchiemsee but love the scene where romy schneider who plays sissi for the last time has a fit of laughter when she sees the Hall of Mirrors which is a copy of the one in versaille, because of the extravagance.

Loved the palace in munchen because they told us it had been totally bombed at the end of WWII and a room a year was restored according to small swatches of wall paper and material they still had.

Warren said:
Here is a pic of the Neuschwanstein grotto, plus a pic of Ludwig's gaudy bedroom at Linderhoff...

This thread is dedicated to the palaces, castles and other buildings related to royalty in Germany.

Some pictures of Schloss Scherin, in Schwerin (Mecklenburg). This was the former residence of the Grand Dukes of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and is a museum at the moment.

Facade

Backside & gardens

At sunset

Bridge and facade

Aerial view

Information about the castle here.

Last edited:
some photos of Zeil Castle the residence of Fürst Georg and Fürstin Marie Gabriele of Waldburg zu zeil und Trauchburg. As the couple lives in the Castle it can not visited inside but you can walk around it and the beautiful Park.

All photos are copyrighted by me and and are not allowed to use elswhere

Great thread! It's nice to see actual photos for a change. Thanks for sharing, Stefan!:flowers:

Nice pictures Stefan. I really like the inside of the church.

The fountain is magnificent ! Thank you for taking the time to post the pics ; they are really nice!

Rheda Castle

A few photos from Rheda Castle, who belongs to the Princely Family of Bentheim-Tecklenburg.

Information about the Castle can be found here

All photos are copyrighted by me and and are not allowed to use elswhere

A minature of the Castle before the Main-Station of Rheda.

Just as a slight correction: the link leads to the Residence Palace in Munich. The Wittelsbach Palace (Palais Wittelsbach) was situated in the Brienner Straße and was not reerected after it was destroyed in the war. Some claim this was because it had served as the headquarters and torture prison of the German Gestapo (Secret Services) in Nazi-times.

I was wondering how you were able to make the picture of a hall with a cannon and a sledge at Schloss Zeil, Stefan. Since people are not allowed inside?

Any idea who are the painted images of in this picture? Saints maybe? Or anscestors?

--

The two small towers at Posenhofen are a bit too much Neo-something fo me, it doesn' t seem to fit with the rest of the castle IMO.

I was wondering how you were able to make the picture of a hall with a cannon and a sledge at Schloss Zeil, Stefan. Since people are not allowed inside?

There is a Glass-door and through it i made this picture of the entrance-hall.

[url=http://www.burg-eltz.de/e_index.html]Burg Eltz[/URL] is another amazing German Castle with a long and rich history. Located along the Mosel River, the castle according to their website:

...has remained in the procession of the same family for over 800 years. The present owner of the castle, Dr. Karl Graf von und zu Eltz, known as Faust von Stromberg , lives in Eltville/Rhine. The family has had its main German residence there since the beginning of the 19th century.
Dr. Karl Graf von und zu Eltz represents the 33rd generation of the House of Eltz. He has undertaken the task of maintaining this national monument for the public, to preserve its structure and, following family tradition, pass it on to the 34th generation.

Images of Burg Eltz can be viewed [url=http://www.brodyaga.ru/images/Germany/Burg%20Eltz%203.jpg]here[/URL], [url=http://www.mosel-valley-germany.european-vacation.net/pictures/mosel-river/burg-eltz-quer-450_01.jpg]here[/URL], [url=http://photos.igougo.com/images/p68014-Rhine_and_Mosel_Valleys_Germany-Courtyard_Burg_Eltz.jpg]here[/URL], and [url=http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa90/jkfinke/DSC03749.jpg]here[/URL]

Back
Top Bottom