Engagement of Princess Nathalie and Alexander Johannsmann: January 4, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About 2 years ago I read on Netty's site that Princess Julia Katarina von Anhalt want that her future husband would get her title. I'm not sure if he get it or no.

Getting back to our newly engage couple Nathalie's father has successor so I don't think that Alexander will take his future wife's title.

Congratulations to the couple. Indeed, 5 royal weddings next year. More fun for us here!

Jonas Bergstrom, Princess Madelines fiancee will recieve a title when he marries her. Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland.
Prince Phillip recieved a title when marrying Princess Elizabeth.

Princess Alexandra is

HH Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Countess of Pfeil and Klein-Ellguth.
Her husband is the Count of Pfeil and Klein-Ellguth.
Usually the wife gets the title of her husband, but not the other way round. But if the father happens to be king, he can grant a title to his son in law or ensure that he can share the title of his wife. Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg does not have this power, nor is there a German king who can do it. And Queen Marghrete can't interfere with the German titles, which are only seen as part of the name anyway.
The husband of Princess Alexandra was born as a count, so his wife became a countess as well.

Congratulations !!!!!! I like Princess Nathalie. 5 weddings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What wonderful news - congratulations to the couple! :flowers::flowers:

5 weddings this year (and counting) = brilliance.

Usually the wife gets the title of her husband, but not the other way round. But if the father happens to be king, he can grant a title to his son in law or ensure that he can share the title of his wife. Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg does not have this power, nor is there a German king who can do it. And Queen Marghrete can't interfere with the German titles, which are only seen as part of the name anyway.
The husband of Princess Alexandra was born as a count, so his wife became a countess as well.

I understand that, wifes always get the titles of the husbands.
And I also understand that King George gave Prince Phillip his title DofE.

I never said Margrethe could interfere with german titles.
I was pointing out that there were titles that had been given to future husbands.

Well, I think there is a somewhat precedence but it depends on the country.

Let's see, I am not sure I would count Prince Phillip being made of DoE. He was after all a Prince of Greece and Denmark.

Queen Elizabeth made Anthony Armstrong Jones an Earl and would have done the same for Mark Phillips if he and Princess Anne agreed to it. But than Margaret and Anthony divorced and you get a new Countess of Snowdon.

Daniel and Jonas are basically assuming Victoria and Madeline's titles. Claus for Princess Beatrix and Henri for Princess Margrethe were elevated as well. But the key was that these were existing monarchies.

And that is not the case for Nathalie. Nor was it for Princess Alexia of Greece as well.

Last edited:
Claus for Princess Beatrix and Henri for Princess Margrethe were elevated as well. But the key was that these were existing monarchies.

I'd forgotten about those 2.
Thank you for reminding me.
It may not be a remaining monarchy but the titles still exist. :)

Wonderful news. Was waiting for something more than dating to happen between the two.
Would be interesting to know when the wedding will take place.

I'd forgotten about those 2.
Thank you for reminding me.
It may not be a remaining monarchy but the titles still exist. :)
No Nathales title doesn't exist anymore. Nor does any other german title. In 1919 all noble titles where abolished and became part of the surname.
And therefore it's not Prinzessin Nathalie zu Sany-Wittgenstein-Berleburg it's nathalie, Prinzessin zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

Yes, now only a lot of crownprincesses pregnant and then it's exactly the same as in 2004!
Imagine: a lot of crowprincesses heavily pregnant attending Crownprincess Victoria's wedding!
What a joy!!!
Let's just hope Victoria isn't the crown princess heavily pregnant at her own wedding! :)

This is wonderful news!!!!! This is most certainly a wedding year.

This is very exciting news! Just like everyone else, I'm looking forward to all of the royal weddings in the upcoming year. Does anyone know if they've set a date yet?

I suppose the wedding will be in Denmark.

Although no announcement has been made, it makes sense that the bride will be married from the home of her parents in Germany. None of the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburgs are in the line of succession of Denmark, and Nathalie is a princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (not of Denmark.)

I'm sure that Prince Richard and Princess Benedikt are looking forward to hosting the nuptials of their daughter - a proud moment in any father's life, to walk his daughter down the aisle of the home parish church.

Congratulations to this couple.

Although I agree the actual wedding will be in Germany, I'm sure that Auntie Margrethe will host some sort of gala dinner in Denmark both both Nathalie as weell as her Greek nephew.
Should be inter4esting who they both pick for their attendants

I agree the wedding will take place in Germany, I don't see why any event would take place in Denmark.

Countess Ingrid as a flower girl, Prince Christian as ring bearer/page boy quite possible.
Princess Alexandra as Bridesmaid, even Mary. :)

Where did Princess Alexandra (Nathalie's sister) get married? Germany?

Where did Princess Alexandra (Nathalie's sister) get married? Germany?
No. She married at Graasten Castle just near the german-danish Border. The Wedding was host by her grandmother Queen Ingrid.

No. She married at Graasten Castle just near the german-danish Border. The Wedding was host by her grandmother Queen Ingrid.

I believe that Alexandra was granted Danish citizenship just prior to her wedding. IIRC, when a member of an extended Royal family holds that nation's citizenship, then the reigning monarch becomes the de facto family leader insofar as such festivities.

Nathalie was a reserve for the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games on behalf of Denmark, so it may be possible that history would repeat itself in this case. Still, I can't help but feel that Prince Richard and his wife Princess Benedikt might wish to host at least one wedding for their offspring, especially as Richard remains reigning Prince in Sayn-Wittegenstein-Berleburg, and thus holding a wedding for the next generation of the household would be a lovely thought.

She won bronze for Denmark in 2008.
She may want a wedding in Denmark. :flowers:

I believe that Alexandra was granted Danish citizenship just prior to her wedding. IIRC, when a member of an extended Royal family holds that nation's citizenship, then the reigning monarch becomes the de facto family leader insofar as such festivities..
Nathalie was granted Danish citizenship at the same time. See nos. 549 and 550 on this list of persons who were granted Danish citizenship - https://www.retsinformation.dk/Forms/R0710.aspx?id=87244.

Such wonderful news! Congratulations to Princess Nathalie and Alexander!

:lol:Well, heck, then, have HM The Queen throw a big 'un - much more lavish than a mere HSH Prince (dad) could throw! (even though he's listed as one of the 400 richest in Germany...)

:bounce: <<<<<<<< prepping for the big party!

Last edited:
Congratulations to Nathalie and Alexander. I wish them much happiness in their life together. I'm sure it will be a big and lovely wedding no matter where they have it. :flowers:

I' m quite sure she will use the Khedive of Egupt tiara. It may now belong to her aunt Q Anne Marie , but I believe she will most happily give it to nathalie for her wedding. since this tiara was worn by her grandmother, mother, aunts, sister and cousin on their wedding day . I suppose she will keep up the tradition

Back
Top Bottom