Electoral and Grand Ducal House of Hesse (Brabant)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know for sure, but I don't think he was granted the Italian nationality.
Landgrave Philipp was a German subject; Landgravine Mafalda had dual nationality German (jure matrimoni) and Italian (jure sanguinis); the law in force at the time stated that children were granted Italian nationality if:
1- born from an Italian father;
2- born from an Italian mother, but only if the father was unknown or apolid or couldn't transmit his nationality to his children according to the law of his country.
So if Landgrave Philipp had both the German and Italian nationality (I don't know that for sure, but it's unlikely) then his children were granted both German and Italian nationality; but if only Landgravine Mafalda had the dual nationality, then Moritz and his siblings were not granted the Italian nationality dueing the war.

I think I saw Landgrave Moritz of Hesse and Margrave Max of Baden at the Royal Wedding of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge. If u look closely you'll see Princes William & Harry walking past them at the beginning of the ceremony.

:previous:
HRH Princess Christina of Hesse passed away on 21 November 2011, aged 78.

She was the eldest daughter of Prince Christoph of Hesse and his wife, née Princess Sophie of Greece and Denmark; she was born at Schloss Kronberg on 10 January 1933.
She married firstly to Prince Andrej of Yugoslavia in 1956, with whom she had two children (Maria Tatiana and Christopher) before divorcing in 1962; in the same year she married secondly to Robert Floris van Eyck, with whom she had two more children (Helene and Mark) before divorcing in 1986.

She is survived by her two daughters, her son Mark, their families, her sisters Dorothea and Clarissa and her brothers Karl and Rainer with their families, her half siblings Prince Georg of Hannover and Princess Friederike of Hannover, Mrs. Cyr and their families.

Royal Musings: Princess Christina of Hesse (1933-2011)

Princess Christina of Hesse (b.1933) passed away on 21 November.

She was the eldest daughter of Prince Christoph of Hesse and Princess Sophie of Greece.

Here is an obituary from Royal Musings.

Prince Heinrich Donatus Philipp Umberto von Hessen has given an interview to finnish women magazine "Me Naiset". Here is some things from the interview:
Prince Donatus says that being a prince means nowadays only that the family history is better documented than the others. We must earn our living. We take care of our domains and try to get the old, slow money to profit. Two of our castles has been changed to five-star hotels. We have a winery and we breed horses. I have a wife and five year old twins, a boy and a girl. We are in touch with the other royal families, we have relatives in the british royal family. I don't moon for monarchy in Germany, that thought was gone with the first world war. I'm satisfied with our president.
Prince Donatus loves Riesling-wine, because they produce it, and hates Liebfraumilch, it destroys the whole reputation of Germany as a wine producer country. He tells that he tasted alcohol for the first time when he was 28 years old. He also loves cars, he has an Audi. He is also proud of Germany's high credit rating, AAA.

A video of an interview of prince Donatus from his visit to Finland, 6th May last year. If this can't be seen outside Finland, the moderator can take the link away.
http://uutisvirta.fi/uutiset/2604775-viininviljelija-ei-haikaile-suomen-kuninkaaksi-65?show=1

Last edited:
Does anyone have pictures of the palaces of the grand ducal family of Hesse darmst

The Grand Ducal Family of Hesse-Darmstadt had two major palaces at their disposal, the Grand Ducal Palace in Darmstadt and Schloss Wolfsgarften, near Darmstadt.

1. Grand Ducal Palace, Darmstadt (owned by the State)
2. Grand Ducal Palace, Darmstadt
3. Schloss Wolfsgarten, near Darmstadt (owned by the House of Hesse)
4. the Schloss Wolfsgarten complex, near Darmstadt

Thumbnails 1, 3 & 4 courtesy of Wikipedia; permission to copy has been provided under the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2

Attachments

• Hesse Grand Ducal Palace, Darmstadt.jpg
    Hesse Grand Ducal Palace, Darmstadt.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 556
  • Hesse Grand Ducal Palace, Darmstadt 1.gif
    Hesse Grand Ducal Palace, Darmstadt 1.gif
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,983
  • Hesse Schloss Wolfsgarten (Darmstadt).jpg
    Hesse Schloss Wolfsgarten (Darmstadt).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 2,843
  • Hesse Schloss Wolfsgarten (Darmstadt) nr Frankfurt.jpg
    Hesse Schloss Wolfsgarten (Darmstadt) nr Frankfurt.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 951
Hessian Princeling

Hereditary Prince Heinrich Donatus of Hesse (b.17 October 1966) [son of Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse (b.1926) & his former wife, Princess Tatiana of Sayn-Wittgenstein Berleburg (b.1940)] & his wife Floria, nee Countess of Faber-Castell (b.14 October 1974) [daughter of Hubertus, Count of Faber-Castell (1934-2007) & his second wife, Adelheid Fraiin von der Leyen zu Bloemershein (1945-2010)] had their third child, Prince August, on 24 August in Frankfurt.
(August born in August - What a coincidence, ha ha ha!)

A brother for twins Moritz and Pauline (b 26-3-2007)

Source: Hesse

Last edited by a moderator:

Mafalda, Princess of Hessen attended the Cartier Boutique Re-Opening Party in Hamburg, Germany on September 5, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

HH Princess Otto of Hesse, née Elisabeth Bönker, passed away on 12 April 2013, aged 69.

She was born on 31 January 1944 and married to HH Prince Otto of Hesse (the third son of Landgrave Philipp and Landgravine Mafalda of Hesse, and youngest brother of the current Head of the House of Hesse, Landgrave Moritz) on 28 January 1988.
Prince Otto died in 1998, aged 60.

Royal Musings: Royal death: HH Princess Otto of Hesse

Hesse1.jpg

Death of the Head of All the House of Hesse

HRH Landgrave Moritz of Hesse died today afternoon
(1926-2013)
He was 86 years old.

AKTUELL! Landgraf MORITZ VON HESSEN am Nachmittag 86-jhrig verstorben
Google Übersetzer

Moritz Friedrich Karl Emmanuel Humbert, Prince and Landgrave of Hesse, was born in 1926 in Racconigi castle in Piedmont, Italy.
He succeeded his father, Philip, in 1980 as Head of All the House of Hesse.
Philip was the Head of the Hesse-Cassel branch and on the death of the Head and last surviving male of the Hesse-Darmstadt branch, Ludwig, Prince of Hesse and by Rhine in 1968, the two main branches of the House of Hesse were united. To facilitate the union, and in agreement with Moritz's father, Prince Ludwig formally adopted Prince Moritz in 1960.
As Head of All the House of Hesse, Moritz took the traditional title of Landgrave of Hesse.

Landgrave Moritz was the eldest son of Philip of Hesse and Princess Mafalda of Savoy, daughter of King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy. He was a grandson of Emperor Frederick III and a great-grandson of Queen Victoria. Referred to in his youth as Maurizio d'Assia, Moritz spent his early years in Rome and in Cassel. After the death of his mother in 1944 in the Buchenwald concentration camp, he grew up on in Kronberg im Taunus.

He brought a considerable portion of the family assets of both houses to the Hessian House Foundation and served as chairman of the foundation managing the historic cultural property. Many valuable exhibits from numerous castles of the family were collected and exhibited in the former Hesse-Cassel hunting lodge at Fulda. Other assets of the foundation include the 5-star hotels Hessischer Hof in Frankfurt and the Schlosshotel Kronberg, the winery 'Prince of Hesse' in Geisenheim / Rheingau, and the castle and stud Panker in Holstein.

Landgrave Moritz was seen as an important patron of the arts in Hesse and in 1999 was awarded the highest honor of the State of Hesse, the Georg-Augustin medal. He was also active for the Institute for New Technical form in Darmstadt and promoted the Kronberg Academy.

In 1964 Prince Moritz married Princess Tatiana, daughter of the 5th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleberg (and whose brother, Richard, the 6th Prince, married Princess Benedikte of Denmark). They were divorced in 1974 but often appeared together in public thereafter.

They had four children:

HRH Heinrich Donatus, now Landgrave of Hesse, Head of All the House of Hesse (b 1966)
married 2003 Countess Floria Franziska von Faber-Castell (b 1974); their children:
HRH Moritz Ludwig, Hereditary Prince of Hesse (-Cassel) (b 2007)
HH Princess Pauline (twin with Prince Moritz Ludwig)
August (b 2012)

HH Prince Philipp (b 1970), married witrh two children

HH Princess Mafalda (b 1965) married 3 times, 4 children

HH Princess Elena (b 1967) unmarried, 1 daughter

Landgrave Moritz is also survived by his only sister Elisabeth, Countess von Oppersdorff (b 1940)

The Hesse-Cassel connection with the present British Royal Family comes through the Duke of Edinburgh's last surviving sister, Princess Sophie of Greece and Denmark (d 2001), who married Prince Christoph of Hesse (-Cassel) (ka 1943), a younger brother of Moritz's father Landgrave Philipp.

♣ ♣ ♣

LandgraveMoritz2010.jpg

Moritz, HRH Landgrave of Hesse, 2010
Image courtesy of Wikipedia; released into the public domain without restriction.

♣ ♣ ♣

According to royalblog the Dutch RF will be represented by Prince Constantijn. The landgrave atended various royal functions in the Netherlands, among them the funerals of queen Juliana and Prince Claus.

Last edited:
Nice photo of Queen Sofia of Spain and King Konstantine and King Simeon II of Bulgaria

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

There seems to have been quite a few royals guests present.

Among the guests I have recognized: Queen Sofia of Spain, Princess Mafalda of Hesse and her children, Princess Tatjana zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (Moritz's former wife), Fürst Richard and Fürstin Benedikte zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Count Jefferson and Countess Alexandra von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth, Fürst Karl Friedrich and Fürstin Katharina von Hohenzollern, Prince Georg-Friedrich and Princess Sophie of Prussia, Prince Ernst-August of Hannover, Hereditary Prince Bernhard and Hereditary Princess Stephanie of Baden, Fürst Alexander and Fürstin Gabriela zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, Fürst Alexander zu Schaumburg-Lippe, Daniel and Elisabeth Terberger, Hereditary Prince Hubertus and Hereditary Princess Kelly of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Vittorio Emanuele of Savoy, Duke Franz of Bavaria, King Constantine of Greece, King Simeon of Bulgaria, Margrave Max and Margravine Valerie of Baden, Princess Sarvath of Jordan, Prince Constantijn of The Netherlands.

Quite sad that Paul Lambrino tries to intrude at funerals to give some sort of credibility to his claim to the Romanian ex-throne. Even Mario-Max Wagner/ "Schaumburg-Lippe" never sunk that low (yet).

Good to read that there was such a large royal group paying their respects to the late landgrave.

Last edited:
Zizi Lambrino's grandson attended this funeral?

What sort of person crashes an event, especially a funeral, that they were not invited to? Its so Housewives of DC.

I can't understand the behaviour of certain persons.

Yes/ He and his wife crashed the funeral .... which they did for Otto. but were shown the door in Vienna

I have seen their picture entering...Were they shown the door here also,or they were allowed to attend even though they were not invited?

Great work Stefan :flowers:
It's unusual for the subjects of such a large collection of photographs to be so fully identified.
Much appreciated!

An obituary for the LAndgrave of Hesse has be published in the Times.

Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse | The Times

Princely German descendant of Queen Victoria whose colourful life included a real-life murder mystery and a bungled kidnapping
A great-great grandson of Queen Victoria, Prince Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse, was the head of the House of Hesse-Kassel by descent and of Hesse-Darmstadt by adoption. This made him a very rich man, but his was not always an easy life. His father was imprisoned during the war; his mother died in a concentration camp; he himself was wrongly implicated in a murder case, and in later life he was kidnapped from his home by a criminal gang.

At one time he sought to marry Princess Alexandra of Kent.

- - - - - - - - - -
There is limited access to the Times but if anyone wants a summary then I can supply one.

It would be great if you did, cepe; in particular I'm interested to learn more about the murder case he was involved in and the kidnap mentioned at the begin of the article.

It would be great if you did, cepe; in particular I'm interested to learn more about the murder case he was involved in and the kidnap mentioned at the begin of the article.

OK - I'll post it as soon as I can. I can also email the obit if anyone wants that. I've answered one request already.

Back
Top Bottom