Electoral and Grand Ducal House of Hesse (Brabant)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a link to the Theroff section on the House of Hesse:

hesse

Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld is at Part 3

The line was founded by Wilhelm (d1761), youngest son of Landgrave Philipp of Hesse-Philippsthal.
The Hesse-Philippsthal line became extinct on the death of Landgrave Ernst in 1925.

The current Head of the Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld branch of the House of Hesse is HH Wilhelm, Prince and Landgrave of Hesse, born 1933.

You must try the original German name of the family: Hessen-Philippsthal-Barchfeld. You'll find a German Wiki-article and a link to this genealogy: Brabant 12

There's an information about a book about the House of Hesse, but it's in German. Plus you could send an inquiry to the Deutsches Adelsarchiv at info@adelsarchiv.de to find out where you actually stand when it comes to your father's family.

If I can help with translations etc., don't hesitate to contact me PM.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for the information Warren and Jo! I'll definitely look up all of your suggestions. In that family tree you gave me Jo of Palestine, I found my father, even though my mother, siblings, and I are not listed on it. That was sort of a jolt of the heart to see. :flowers:

If your mother has been legally married to your father and you and your siblings were born during that marriage, then you should check first this databasis: WW-Person as this is quite informative on the Hessens.

If you find your father, but no information is given about his family, you should write to the Head of the House and ask to be included in the family tree and ask which documents are necessary for this. Most data bases take the Genealogische Handbuch des Adels (GHdA) - today's Gotha - as their basis and IIRC it's the job of the Head of the House to see to it that the family trees printed there are correct and complete.

Maybe you find your father through´this again.:flowers:

Alright, here is the translation. Sorry for all the mistakes, my English is not very good :(
Philipp von Hessen, where is the princess of Finland?
"The king of Finland" doesn't go to the sauna and can't ski either.
After the independence war in 1918 Finland decided to become a monarchy. If this had really happened, you would be the king of Finland now.
What is sauna sausage?:eek:

Also, what is all this business about hm being King of Finland, and them asking where is the princess of Finland?

I thought the Hessen were a German family, what is their tie to Finland?
And how comes he says his father is Italian?

In 1918, when Finland become independent, Prince Friedrich Karl of Hesse was made King of Finland, although he never reigned; he was the Great-Grandfather of Prince Philipp;
Philipp's Father, Landgrave Moritz, is the son of Landgrave Philipp and his wife, nèe Princess Mafalda of Savoy; He grew up in Italy, so I think that's why he said Moritz is Italian. Now He lives in Germany, I think.

in summer 2008 magda gomes announced in the italian press her overcoming wedding with prince hanau von schaumburg..anyone knows about that? and anyone knows where this prince has a castle in Austria?

The correct title is Prince von Hanau und zu Horowitz, Count von Schaumburg, originally a morganatic branch of the House of Hesse (Electoral Line of Kassel).
The current 7th Fürst von Hanau, Prince Philipp, has a son Tassilo, Erbprinz von Hanau (born 1987) who may fit the bill.

I'm quite sure Magda's fiancè is Pr Friedrich Wilhelm Heinrich Antonius (b.Vienna 28 Feb 1956) who's divorced from his first wife and live mainly in Miami

Yes, her fiancé is Prince Heinrich.

Dagospia reported in these days the news that magda and prince von Hanau have split up (because of some "naughty" reason..)

Can I ask who Magda Gomes is? An Italian celebrity?

yes, she is a showgirl

a showgirl of brazilian origin who became known on italian TV: with her, the austro-german gotha has, for the moment, lost very much in terms of sensuality but very little in terms of aristocratic allure

Are the nowadays Hesse all protestants? I know that some of the children of princess Mafalda have stayed in Vatican during the WWII..
And how about the Faber-Castell?

are Oppensdorff a mediatic family?

What do you mean with "mediatic"? If you mean "mediatized", they aren't.

A list of the Mediatised Houses is in the German-Austrian forum, here.

Last edited:
Szapáry-Hesse relations

The mother of Princess Michael of Kent (née Baroness Reibnitz) was Mária Szapáry, a Hungarian countess. Princess Irina von Hesse's mother is Yvonne Szapáry. I read in an article that Princess M of K and Princess Irina are cousins, but I can't seem to be able to thread this relation on the net. Mária Szapáry's father, Frigyes Szapáry had three other siblings, but all died at a young age, non of them had any issues. So the relation must be at least second cousin. Does anyone know how Béla Szapáry, Yvonne's father is related to Mária Szapáry, Princess M of K's mother?

Princess Michael and Princess Yvonne of Hessen are fourth cousins; both them descend from Count Josef Szapary and Countess Johanna von Gatterburg.

Cousins

Many thanks for the missing link, they are 4th cousins indeed. Have to get used to the fact that aristocrats tend to call "cousin" everyone...:)

You're welcome!
Btw, the two princesses are cousins indeed, even if far cousins; and not only the aristocrats call all their far cousins only "cousin", I do the same but I'm not an aristocrat!

Princess Mafalda von Hessen attends the Hear the World Foundation Charity Gala press conference at Ritz Carlton on October 16, 2010 in Berlin, Germany.
Pics

Philipp von Hessen ... of Finland?
After the independence war in 1918 Finland decided to become a monarchy. If this had really happened, you would be the king of Finland now.
I am confused as to why they say he would have been the king of Finland. Wouldn't his father be the king of Finland if they had chosen the monarchy? And doesn't he have an older brother? So why do they say he would have been the king?

The mother of Princess Michael of Kent (née Baroness Reibnitz) was Mária Szapáry, a Hungarian countess. Princess Irina von Hesse's mother is Yvonne Szapáry. I read in an article that Princess M of K and Princess Irina are cousins, but I can't seem to be able to thread this relation on the net. Mária Szapáry's father, Frigyes Szapáry had three other siblings, but all died at a young age, non of them had any issues. So the relation must be at least second cousin. Does anyone know how Béla Szapáry, Yvonne's father is related to Mária Szapáry, Princess M of K's mother?

Try this site that will show you the several links between Pss Michael and Pss Irina

Parentesco

And Yvonne's mother Ursula was a cousin of the famous Red Baron, Manfred von Richthofen

Grau de parentesco

I am confused as to why they say he would have been the king of Finland. Wouldn't his father be the king of Finland if they had chosen the monarchy? And doesn't he have an older brother? So why do they say he would have been the king?

And why would he say that his father Moritz is Italian ???

Naturally he is german and had an italian mother, the tragically late Pss.Mafalda of Savoy,

That doesn't make him an italian

I believe the landgrave was born in Italy, so maybe he has a dual nationality?

Back
Top Bottom