Electoral and Grand Ducal House of Hesse (Brabant)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks a lot for ...

Thanks a lot,

for these information! Knew the history of this tragic Princess’s family, but nothing for the names and date of b. of children. As well as for the (so bad) chance of 3rd child.

Special thanks to Morgaine and Alexandra!

The name of Pss in greek: ΚΑΙΚΙΛΙΑ (Καικιλια) [“AI” is diphthong, proncd as e in red]

Tatiana and Moritz von Hesse

I beleive that I read that TRH Tatiana and Moritz von Hesse are divorced; yet they always seem to attend functions together (I highly commend them). If they are divorced, when did they and why? I also read that Tatiana resides at her brother, Furst Richard SWB's estate/castle. How close are the two families. Also, I believe that the Hesse's castle is now a Hotel? Please correct me if I am wrong.

michelleq said:
I beleive that I read that TRH Tatiana and Moritz von Hesse are divorced; yet they always seem to attend functions together (I highly commend them).
They got divorced in 1974.

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Mafalda of Hesse and her 3 marriages

Does anyone have wedding pictures of mafalda of hesse? i think she married the third time?

berry said:
Princess Mafalda of Hesse: I think she married the third time?
Here are the details:
m (1) 1989 (divorced 1991) (annulled 2000) Don Enrico dei Conti Marone Cinzano;
m (2) 1991 (divorced 1999) Carlo Galdo [two children];
m (3) 2000 Count Ferdinando Brachetti Peretti [two children].

The House of Hesse

hello!
I would like to know more about royal Hesses family, as far as I know they are in Germany. Also, Who is Alexander Ludwig Hesses IV??Anyone knows???
Thankx:rolleyes:

vikestudent said:
hello!
I would like to know more about royal Hesses family, as far as I know they are in Germany. Also, Who is Alexander Ludwig Hesses IV??Anyone knows???
I know Grandduke Ludwig IV. of Hesse-Darmstadt (Hesse and by Rhine) but he was not named Alexander.

What do you know about him?(Grandduke Ludwig IV) Do you have any pic of him>?

Grandduke Ludwig with his family, his wife was Princess Alice (Queen Victoria's second daughter), the children are l-r: Elisabeth (later Grandduchess Sergei of Russia), Marie on Ludwig's arm, Ernst Ludwig (later Grandduke of Hesse), Alix (later Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna of Russia), Irene (later Princess heinrich of Prussia) and Viktoria (later Princess Ludwig of Battenberg)
187420120bis.jpg

Ludwig was born in 1837 and died 1892, his parents were Prince Karl of Hesse and Princess Elisabeth of Prussia. He married Queen Victoria's second daughter Alice. They had 7 children: Viktoria, Elisabeth, Irene, Ernst Ludwig, Friedrich Wilhelm, Alix and Marie.
Friedrich Wilhelm called Frittie died when he was 3 years old. He fell out of a window and didn't survive his injuries due to hemophilia. Marie called May also died in childhood. In 1878 all the children except Elisabeth had diphteria and May died on 16th November. A month later the Grandduchess Alice died from the same illness.

vikestudent said:
hello!

The where several lines of the Hesse-Family

- Hesse-Darmstadt, since 1816 Grand Duke of Hesse and by
Rhine they are today extinct in the male line but the youngest son
of Grnad Duke Ludwig II., Prince Alexander married morganatic to
Countess Julie of Haucke, who was given the Title Prince of
Battenberg. There are several descendants but since 1917 the
name of the Family was changed to Mountbatten

- Hesse-Cassel since 1803 Electors of Hesse, theeir Country was
annected by Prussia in 1866 on of the two surviving branches

- Hesse-Homburg - extindt in the male line 1866

- Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld - second surviving branch

- Hesse-Philippstahl - etinct 1925 in the male line 1925

The Genealogy of the Grand Ducal Family of Hesse and by Rhine ca be found on my Website.

vikestudent said:
Who from Hesses family is / are still alive? where are they today?

Head of the Family is Landgrave Moritz of Hesse who was married from 1964-74 to Princess Tatiana zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
They have four children
Princess mafalda, * 1965, who is crrently married to Ferdinando dei Conto Brachetti-Peretti, she has four children, to from her second marriage
Hereditary Prince Heinrich Doantus, * 1966, married in 2003 Countess Floria of Faber-Castell, * 1974, no children
Princess Elena, * 1967, she has a daughter but is unmarried
Prince Philipp, * 1970, who married on 10.06.2006 Laetita Bechtolf, * 1978

For the exact genealogy see here
http://pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff/gotha/hesse.html

The Hesse-Darmstadt line died out.
In 1937 Grandduke Georg Donatus (son of Ernst Ludwig) flew to England to attend the wedding of his younger brother Ludwig and Margaret Campbell. The plane crashed and Georg Donatus, his wife Cecilie and their two sons Alexander and Ludwig died. Their daughter Johanna had stayed at home and she was adopted by her uncle Ludwig, the new Grandduke. Ludwig and Margaret didn't have any children of their own and Johanna died from meningitis a little more than a year after her family had died. As Ludwig had no heir he adopted Prince Moritz of Hesse-Kassel.

Great pictures, JuliaMontague. What an adorable little girl. This is such a tragic story. If only she had lived. It's so sad. It must have been just devastating for the family.

b95aceef083d75105dfd0542dfdd893d_4c7.jpg

After seeing this wonderful picture of Prince Nikolas' Family (source: www.genealogics.org), I have decided that my below guess that my family picture was a potrait of Princess Cecilie was probably wrong.

I think that is Prince Andrew of Greece's family above and you can see little Prince Philip with his four older sisters.

What a sad story! So are there any descendants from P. Cecile?

first time on boards!

hello friends! this is my first post on the board, i just joined and am so glad to have "found" you!! i have a great interest in German royal history, and especially the house of Hesse and By Rhine. The Princess, later Grand Duchess, Alice is my favorite in royal history, i've "borrowed" her name for these boards!!

thanks for the time, i look forward to many wonderful posts! i really love the pictures of Alice and her family, she was a remarkable woman and taken so early in life.

God bless you all.

Welcome to the Forums princessalice.
Any knowledge or insights you can offer on the Hesse-Darmstadts, or why Princess Alice is your favourite Royal, would be most welcome.

thank you friends!

hello friends and many thanks for the welcomes! it's so nice to have a place to come to and share our love of royalty! i don't have anyone in my life who has such an appreciation, my poor husband tries to look interested, but....

i had an article published in the European Royal History Journal, an incredible magazine if you want to look it up on the net and subscribe, called "Little Lost Prince, The Grief of Sisters," about Princess Alice and Princess Victoria, later the Empress Victoria of Prussia. they were, of course, sisters and very close, each lost a son, Alice's sweet little "Frittie" who died when he was not 3 years old, and Vicky lost two boys, "Siggie" and Waldemar. Also, as you know, also lost baby May, shortly before she herself died....

Oh, I could go on about Alice all night, and would love to now, but I have a chronic pain problem and, to be honest, these last couple of days have been bad for me. i am seeing a new doctor next week, hopefully he can do something to help me, i've seen so many and so far only seem to be able to use medication to help it a little, but i've tried everything else!

again, thank you for your kindness, I am so happy to be here! i will post again soon....

Hesse Pictures

Hi i'm new to the forum's but i thought i'd post some pics of the hesse family

irenehesse1866.jpg

Irene

princessesirenealixandmayprinc1.jpg

aevd0.jpg

hesse children with their wales cousins

3285357.jpg

Alice with her two oldest daughters Victoria and Elizabeth

LudwigAlexandjohanna.jpg

Ernst with his three grandchildren Ludwig, Alexander and little Johanna

Alexanderofhesse.jpg

EllaFrittieVictoria.jpg

Victoria and Elisabeth with Friedrich Wilhelm

I wonder why people never smiled in photos back then.....

After seeing this wonderful picture of Prince Nikolas' Family (source: www.genealogics.org), I have decided that my below guess that my family picture was a potrait of Princess Cecilie was probably wrong.[/quote]

The plain crash was indeed sad, and in the long run it also meant the end of the Grand Ducal House of Hesse and by Rhine.

btsnyder said:
I wonder why people never smiled in photos back then.
A simple explanation: the exposure time was so long that a natural smile would soon turn into a strained grimace. Neutral expressions were therefore best.

Bella said:
Great pictures, JuliaMontague. What an adorable little girl. This is such a tragic story. If only she had lived. It's so sad. It must have been just devastating for the family.

One should never forget that she had a protected life and died shortly before WWII which killed millions of children. So who's to say how her life would have been had she survived?

I found a link with a lot of pictures of Princess Elisabeth of Hesse-Darmstadt, daughter of Grand Duke Ernst-Ludwig and Grand Duchess Victoria Melita.

Look here.

House of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld

This is my house. But I don't know anything about it. I know it's closely related to the Hesse family, but not much else.

I've never been around my dad much, and he's the one that is a member of the Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld family. I've been trying to find information on the family for a report in school, and I've come up emty-handed. Anyone willing to help with any information? Anything woudl be useful. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom