Ducal House of Saxe-Coburg und Gotha (Wettin)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveymartin

Saxe-CoburgGotha1.jpg

The Ducal House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha

House of Wettin

The line was founded in 1680 by Johann Ernst, Duke of Saxe-Saalfeld, who inherited Saxe-Coburg from his brother in 1699.
Assumed the title Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld in 1735.​

On the rearrangement of the Saxon Duchies following the extinction of the line of Gotha in 1825, Duke Ernst I received Gotha and ceded Saalfeld to Saxe-Meiningen.
In 1826 he became Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.​

The dynasty ceased to reign in 1918.​

Members of the Ducal Family bear the title of Prince or Princess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Duke or Duchess of Saxony, with the qualification of Highness.​

The current Head of the Ducal House is HH Andreas, Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, born 1943.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

I would like to start a thread about the current Coburgs. Photos, current goings on of this family, their organization, discussion about any and all relevant factors to them. Perhaps some general history, etc... I know little about them and there is surprisingly little info beyong basic bio stuff. It seems to me that there should be more about them, as they are rather central in a hereditary and historical sense to rest of the European royal "community". Any and all info posted would be of great interest to me, and I'm sure to the rest of the LTR group. Thank You, DM​

Last edited by a moderator:
can someone post some bios of a few of the members of this family and maybe some photos
what kind of conacts do theu have with different royal famlies

Josefine said:
can someone post some bios of a few of the members of this family and maybe some photos
what kind of conacts do theu have with different royal famlies

Apart from the family webpage that i posted above, there is not a great deal available on the family, however Netty's page below features a couple of small biographys:

http://www.nettyroyal.nl/

As for links to other Royal Familys - the most famous is that the British Royal Family had the House name Saxe-Coburg-Gotha between 1901-1917. Queen Victoria married Prince Albert of SCG and thus their son Edward VII took the name. However the House name was changed by Prince Alberts grandson George V in 1917 to the House of Windsor in view of anti-german centiment during WW1.

King Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden's mother was Princess Sybilla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

The Royal Families of Bulgaria and Belgium are also decendents of the Saxe-Coburgs.

sachsen-coburg and gotha

what about the children of prince andreas of sachsen-coburg and gotha?
what they are doing?
no one of them is married or not? i heard prince hubertus has an girlfriend since some years now? is she noble or commoner?
and what about prince alexander and princess stephanie?
i heard prince alexander is a little kind of "playboy"!! he has a lot of girlfriends and changes them a lot.
who are the goodparents of them?

The Sachen Coburg Gotha family were very important and significant because of course Queen Victoria married Prince Albert who was from this family. More should be said about them

I always refer to this family as the House of Wettin. The territory was called Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (Saxe-Coburg and Gotha).

That is correct, the British Royal Family's name before the name change was Wettin from Albert. The name change came about from the anti-German sentiments around WWI and the hatred against Kaiser Wilhelm.

The correct family name now is Mountbatten-Windsor...QEII made the change I believe around 1960.

Australian said:
The Sachen Coburg Gotha family were very important and significant because of course Queen Victoria married Prince Albert who was from this family. More should be said about them

In addition, HM Queen Victorias' mother was also a member of the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family. Her older brothers being HM King Leopold of the Belgians, and HRH The Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

His Lordship said:
That is correct, the British Royal Family's name before the name change was Wettin from Albert. The name change came about from the anti-German sentiments around WWI and the hatred against Kaiser Wilhelm.

The correct family name now is Mountbatten-Windsor...QEII made the change I believe around 1960.

No it's not. The name of the RF is still Windsor. Mountbatten-Windsor is for the (male line ) descendants of EII and Phillip.

Von Schlesian said:
In addition, HM Queen Victorias' mother was also a member of the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family. Her older brothers being HM King Leopold of the Belgians, and HRH The Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

During the 19th century and/or early part of the 20th century there were Saxe-Coburgs on thrones in Germany, London, Lisbon, Sofia, Brussles, Mexico City, Bucharest, and briefly in Rome (Marie Jose), and even almost in Austria (Crow Princess Stephanie). Plus descendants via female lines sat on numerous thrones as well -- e.g. Russia, Spain, the German Emperor, Hesse, Greece, Norway, etc.

Last edited:
The Many Houses of Wettin

Charles said:
I always refer to this family as the House of Wettin. The territory was called Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (Saxe-Coburg and Gotha).

The problem here is that "Wettin" can refer to the dynasties of any one of the Saxon Duchies and Kingdom. So I guess that's why its more accurate (or specific) to call them Saxe-Coburg, Saxe-Altenburg, Saxe-Meiningen, Saxe-Weimar, and Saxony.

That's the point though... All those territories were ruled by members of the same dynasty.

Info on Duke Carl Eduard of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha

I found some info on this royal from the following websites: "Online Gotha" and "Monarchies of Europe".

Carl Eduard (1884-1954) was born: Leopold Charles Edward George Albert, Prince of Great Britain and Ireland. He was the son of Prince Leopold of Great Britain and Ireland (1853-1884) and Princess Helene of Waldeck-Pyrmont (1861-1922). He succeeded his uncle Prince Alfred on July 30, 1900. He became known as CARL Eduard, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. He and his family were stripped of their British titles in 1919. Carl Eduard became a Nazi supporter. He was placed in an internment camp after WW II. He later lived a life of seclusion.

He had the following children:
(1) Johann Leopold (1906-1972)
(2) Sibylle (1907-1972) (Married Gustaf Adolf of Sweden in 1932)
(3) Dietmar Hubertus (1909-1943)
(4) Caroline (1912-1983)
(5) Friedrich Josias (1918-1998) (Grandfather of Hubertus, Alexander, and Stephanie).

Last edited:
Here is a postcard I have of the family of Duke Carl Eduard:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y138/loejil/Royal%20Families%20from%20different%20parts%20of%20Germany/?action=view&current=RoyalFamilyofSachsen-Coburg-GothaCircaWWIera.jpg

Left to Right: Dietmar Hubertus, Viktoria Adelheid, Sibylle, Caroline, Johann Leopold, and Carl Eduard. Friedrich Josias was not born yet when this photo was taken. Circa 1915.

*You can also see other postcards I have of other German Royals by clicking on "next" at the top of the page that I have the above postcard on it.

Last edited:
Jil

Thanks for persevering.
The pics (1 to 15 in the PhotoBucket account) are great.

Much appreciated.

:) W

I know that this is a forum about the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha Family but I would like to ask a question about the Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach family. Can someone translate the writing on this German postcard? It is suppose to be a message written by Princess Feodora of Saxe-Meiningen (1890-1972), who was married to Grand Duke William Ernst of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach (1876-1923). The postcard shows her children-Sophie (1911-1988) and Wilhelm Ernst (1912-1988). What does anyone know about this family?

Here is the link to view the postcard:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y138/loejil/Royal%20Families%20from%20different%20parts%20of%20Germany/?action=view&current=WilhelmErnstandSophie.jpg

Hi, this is my first post here. It's very interesting the amount of interest in the Royal families.

I found this thread and wanted to say that the Coburg family is doing fine. Hubertus is now a lawyer, Alexander and Stephanie are working with the family organization. Andreas and Carin are doing well attenting to the family organization as well in Coburg.

You will find some interesting information on the Coburgs here:

House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxe-Coburg_and_Gotha

Head of Ducal House
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Andreas_of_Saxe-Coburg_and_Gotha

Interesting story of Andreas's father
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Friedrich_Josias_of_Saxe-Coburg-Gotha

I agree, there is not a lot of information about this family and it would be nice to get more info. They are very under-represented in any royal forums. Current pics would be a plus too!

ciaobetty22 said:
I agree, there is not a lot of information about this family and it would be nice to get more info. They are very under-represented in any royal forums. Current pics would be a plus too!
The reason we don't see much of them is that the Saxe-Coburgs keep a very low profile. They may well attend the German and Austrian aristocratic weddings and social events, but any photographs don't seem to be widely published.

ciaobetty22 said:
Current pics would be a plus too!
It's hard to find pictures of this family, but there's a nice photo session of the head of the Ducal family, Prince Andreas, with his wife, Princess Corin, and their children (Stephanie, Hubertus and Alexander), from their vacations in Karwendelgebirge, back in 1998.

(I must add that Hubertus is even more good-looking now... )

Photos by SeegerPress:

By SeegerPress (cont.):

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the pics!! Anybody have more recent ones?

Are Stephanie, Hubertus and Alexander involved with someone? Do they have boy/girlfriends?:flowers:

Daniela

oh, you have some beautiful cards! i collect postcards, too, of some of the royal families of Europe. i have about 50 cards, they are my pride and joy! thanks for sharing yours...

My favourite line of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha is the Kohary branch, which is descended from Louis Philippe of France and Don Pedro II (Emperor) of Brazil.

So, tell us about the Koharys and why they are your favourite SCGs.

Prince of Chota said:
My favourite line of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha is the Kohary branch, which is descended from Louis Philippe of France and Don Pedro II (Emperor) of Brazil.
Are you able to read German? Then this book might interest you, if you don't know it already, that is...

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]KNODT, J.:
Ferdinand der Bulgare. Die Balkanmission eines Prinzen aus dem Hause Sachsen-Koburg und Gotha-Kohary. 1887-1918.
Bielefeld,, 1947.
Mit Fotos. 236 S. Fotoill. OBrosch.

You could try www.zvab.de or www.abebooks.de or inter-library loan in case you want to get it. :flowers:

I read a bit about the Kohary and yes, it's quite an interesting branch. One Saxe-Coburg-Gotha marrying the Kohary-heiress, then their son marrying the heiress of Portugal, another descendent becoming first the duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, then duke of Saxony and finally tsar of Bulgaria... quite the career!
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
Jo of Palatine said:
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]I read a bit about the Kohary and yes, it's quite an interesting branch. One Saxe-Coburg-Gotha marrying the Kohary-heiress, then their son marrying the heiress of Portugal, another descendent becoming first the duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, then duke of Saxony and finally tsar of Bulgaria... quite the career! [/SIZE][/FONT]
Foxy Ferdinand is certainly the most interesting (along with his ambitious mother), but he was a Duke of Saxony at birth, as are all members of the Wettin dynasty.
Ferdinand was never Duke of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha as that position was held by Prince Albert's brother Duke Ernest II, followed by Albert and Queen Victoria's son Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, then by Prince Leopold's son, the unfortunate Karl Eduard.

The Palais Kohary in Vienna remained in the possession of a member of the SCG family until its sale after their death in 1994. I believe it is now a hotel.
The Villa Coburg is today owned by Princess Felicitas, a member of the Kohary (Brazilian) branch. Her half-brother, Prince Johannes, was the intended heir of the childless Margrave of Mesissen, Head of the Royal House of Saxony, until his untimely and tragic accidental death in 1987 at the age of 18.
The heir of Saxony is now Prince Alexander of Saxe-Gessaphe, who is the eldest son the Margrave's sister.

Back
Top Bottom