Ducal House of Saxe-Coburg und Gotha (Wettin)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to Bunte Prince Hubertus and his wife Princess Kelly attended the 40th birthday party of Princess Nadja von Schaumburg-Lippe. They left early because they had to relieve the babysitter of their little daughter and the pregnant Princess was tired. According to the mag the birth is due in July.
Alexander & Nadja zu Schaumburg-Lippe: Bilderbuch-Trennung! | BUNTE.de

Only one or two weeks before they attended an opening of an exhibition at Callenberg Castle where one could also she that the is again pregnant. Lets hope it will be an boy and heir this time.

It is sad that in this day and age it is still important for some families to have a son. But so it is. Hubertus younger brother isn't (yet) married. Afaik there are no cousins further down the line who could succeed to the headship of the house. But there are several cousin from what would be a senior line, but they are not in the line of succession because of an unequal marriage a couple of generations ago.

I wonder how the family would solve the inheritance question if they will not have a son?

It is sad that in this day and age it is still important for some families to have a son. But so it is. Hubertus younger brother isn't (yet) married. Afaik there are no cousins further down the line who could succeed to the headship of the house. But there are several cousin from what would be a senior line, but they are not in the line of succession because of an unequal marriage a couple of generations ago.

I wonder how the family would solve the inheritance question if they will not have a son?

I have the same with Tilia queries :ermm:
And something else wondering :ermm:
In the Royal Reigning Families longer valid the first born child there is the next heir.
In the Royal Reigning Families we have see weddings (and recently) with whatever.
And we have now mostly German ex Royal Houses who want a male heir and equal weddings?
Really? We are in the 21st century :sad:

Thanks Tilia. I think understad . A big mess. And when there are fortunes that someone heritage matters are complicted. So leave them as they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eya, I think that this has to do with legal questions. In a reigning country the government can change the order of succession by changing the countries law and constitution. So the new order of succession can't be challenged, it is the law and accepted by the government.

In non-reigning families the law courts don't interfere. The head of the house can change the rules, but there is always the possibility that some members of the family disagree. They can say that the change is not valid, and suddenly they have two claimants who want to be head of the house. These families have to sort out the order of succession among themselves, there is no law court which will give a valid decision.

Congratulations to the happy parents!
I'm curious what they'll call the little prince. And I wonder if CP Victoria will be asked to be a godmother. We probably won't get pictures of the baby before the christening.

Congratulations to the happy parents!
I'm curious what they'll call the little prince. And I wonder if CP Victoria will be asked to be a godmother. We probably won't get pictures of the baby before the christening.

Isn't Victoria (and IIRC about half the German Gotha) one of the godparents of their daughter?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Isn't Victoria (and IIRC about half the German Gotha) one of the godparents of their daughter?

Oops, now that you mention it, I think she is!

Philipp Hubertus Andreas Christian
:bang: I should have read more closely, as it was mentioned in the link.
A very nice name, imo. Philipp is a nice traditional name that doesn't sound so awfully old-fashioned, Hubertus like the father, Andreas like the paternal grandfather, Christian like the maternal grandfather.

Last edited:
Congrats to the happy parents and little Katharina ! The names are perfect, and it is nice the couple have be able to have another children after having waited so long for Katharina's birth.

Congratulatons to the couple and the whole family!
I also really like the choice of the names.

Congrats to the parents, grandparents & big sister!
Probably he will be their second and last child (both are 40).

Congratulations to the couple!:flowers:
The name is nice.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the happy family.
Beautiful names especially the Philipp.

I suppose they have very good relationship to become King Philippe godfather .There any family relationship between them?

Thank you Mafan and Mbruno. I totally forgot that the Belgian Royal Family is descends from the Ducal House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are family relationships indeed, since the Belgian Royal Family descends from the Ducal House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha; King Leopold I was born Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg and was a brother of Duke Ernst I of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.
This means that King Philippe and Prince Andreas of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha are fifth cousins (if I don't mistake); I don't think there are closer genealogical links.

I suppose they have very good relationship to become King Philippe godfather .There any family relationship between them?

The current royal families of Belgium and the United Kingdom, as well as the former royal families of Portugal and Bulgaria are branches of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

You can read more about it in the Wikipedia article below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Saxe-Coburg_and_Gotha

(also available in Greek)

:previous:
Well, the Royal Family of Belgium is the scion of the House of Saxe-Coburg. The first King of the Belgian was Leopold I, who was the son of Duke of Saxe-Coburg und Saalfeld (and incidently, the husband of Princess Charlotte of Wales, who would have become the Queen of UK, has she not died in childbirth.) Similar to the Windsors, who shed all the German titles in 1917, the Belgian RF uses van België, de Belgique, or von Belgien as surname.

:previous:
Well, the Royal Family of Belgium is the scion of the House of Saxe-Coburg. The first King of the Belgian was Leopold I, who was the son of Duke of Saxe-Coburg und Saalfeld (and incidently, the husband of Princess Charlotte of Wales, who would have become the Queen of UK, has she not died in childbirth.) Similar to the Windsors, who shed all the German titles in 1917, the Belgian RF uses van België, de Belgique, or von Belgien as surname.

When they changed the House name, the Belgium Coburgs also dropped the arms of Saxony from their coat of arms.

Coat of Arms of Saxony

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Saxony#/media/File:Coat_of_arms_of_Saxony.svg

Coat of Arms of the King of the Belgians (before 1921)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Saxe-Coburg_and_Gotha#/media/File:Coat_of_Arms_of_the_King_of_the_Belgians_%281837-1921%29.svg

Coat of Arms of the King of the Belgians (current)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alber...f_Arms_of_the_King_of_the_Belgians_(1921).svg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Belgium#/media/File:Great_coat_of_arms_of_Belgium.svg

Last edited:
The list of Prince Philipp's godparents is impressive.
It is nice to see Ms Axelson is invited to be a godmother.

Has anyone bought the new book written by Duke Andreas.

In June 2014 the cousin of the Head of the House, Viktoria Adelheid Gräfin zu Castell-Rüdenhausen became by courtesy, Lady Huntington-Whiteley, following her husband's succession to that Baronetcy. Viktoria Adelheid's mother was Princess Caroline Matilda of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, an older sister of Friedrich Josias, father of Andreas, Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

In June 2014 the cousin of the Head of the House, Viktoria Adelheid Gräfin zu Castell-Rüdenhausen became by courtesy, Lady Huntington-Whiteley, following her husband's succession to that Baronetcy. Viktoria Adelheid's mother was Princess Caroline Matilda of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, an older sister of Friedrich Josias, father of Andreas, Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

Huntington-Whiteley sounds strangely familiar for some reason.

Huntington-Whiteley sounds strangely familiar for some reason.

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is a British model and is engaged to Jason Statham.

Rosie is the great-great granddaughter of Sir Herbert Huntington-Whiteley 1st Baronet, the grandfather of Viktoria Adelheid's husband, Sir John (Miles) Huntington-Whiteley.

Back
Top Bottom