Ducal House of Saxe-Coburg und Gotha (Wettin)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Warren said:
Foxy Ferdinand is certainly the most interesting (along with his ambitious mother), but he was a Duke of Saxony at birth, as are all members of the Wettin dynasty.
Ferdinand was never Duke of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha as that position was held by Prince Albert's brother Duke Ernest II, followed by Albert and Queen Victoria's son Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, then by Prince Leopold's son, the unfortunate Karl Eduard.

Prince Albert was never reigning Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha as hed died in 1861 and his brother did in 1893.

Stefan said:
Prince Albert was never reigning Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha as hed died in 1861 and his brother did in 1893.
I didn't say he was. I said that Ernest II was followed by Albert and Victoria's son, Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh. Seems clear enough. :)

There are several branches of royal families that have held the name Saxe Coburg and Gotha the regining Beligian royal family holds that name. At other times the British, Danish, and Norweigan royal families held that name also.

Next Star said:
There are several branches of royal families that have held the name Saxe Coburg and Gotha the regining Beligian royal family holds that name. At other times the British, Danish, and Norweigan royal families held that name also.
Neither the Danish nor the Norwegian royal families have been Saxe-Coburg & Gotha.
I think you have confused SCG with Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, which originated as Oldenburg, not Wettin.

Last edited:
Okay the Norway and Denmark royal families did not have the name Saxe Coburg-Gotha. But I still know that without a doubt that the reigning Belegian royal holds that name and that British royal family once held that name until 1917. I must admit I did get the those four houses confused I am not perfect.
Warren said:
Neither the Danish nor the Norwegian royal families have been Saxe-Coburg & Gotha.
I think you have confused SCG with Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, which originated as Oldenburg, not Wettin.

Next Star said:
I must admit I did get the those four houses confused I am not perfect.
Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg is not "four houses", it is the name of one branch of the Oldenburg dynasty, and came into existence in 1825.

The Belgian RF is indeed Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, although they are shy of using that dynastic name, and prefer "of Belgium".

Last edited:
Okay well I meant to say there last names and once again I am not perfect. I also was talking about Britian, Denmark,and Norway too well in fact all four I had those mixed up. Your confuse because you did not read my post good enough. Schleswig-Holestein-sonderburg-Gluckburg is not a royal house but the rest of those monarchies have an royal house.
Warren said:
Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg is not "four houses", it is the name of one branch of the Oldenburg dynasty, and came into existence in 1825.

The Belgian RF is indeed Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, although they are shy of using that dynastic name, and prefer "of Belgium".

Last edited:
Next Star said:
Schleswig-Holestein-sonderburg-Gluckburg is not a royal house
We are well away from the topic of the Saxe-Coburgs, but if these threads are to retain any credibility, incorrect statements of fact can't be left to stand.

Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg is a Royal House:

Royal House of Denmark: Oldenburg (aka Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg);
Royal House of Norway: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg;
Royal House of Greece: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.
It is also the Ducal House of the Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

These Houses, three Royal and one Ducal, have the common ancestor of Duke (Herzog) Wilhelm, who in 1825 became the first Duke to bear the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg name.

Now we have that settled, can we please return to the Saxe-Coburgs.

Warren said:
We are well away from the topic of the Saxe-Coburgs, but if these threads are to retain any credibility, incorrect statements of fact can't be left to stand.

Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg is a Royal House:

Royal House of Denmark: Oldenburg (aka Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg);
Royal House of Norway: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg;
Royal House of Greece: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.
It is also the Ducal House of the Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

These Houses, three Royal and one Ducal, have the common ancestor of Duke (Herzog) Wilhelm, who in 1825 became the first Duke to bear the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg name.

Now we have that settled, can we please return to the Saxe-Coburgs.

Warren, will the British RF become SHSG, too when Charles acceeds to the throne? At the moment (to come back on topic) the House of Windsor is Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha since Prince Albert's son acceeded to the throne in 1901. With the succession of Prince Philip's son Charles the dynasty will change from SCG to SHSG, no?

Jo of Palatine said:
Will the British RF become SHSG, too when Charles acceeds to the throne? At the moment (to come back on topic) the House of Windsor is Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha since Prince Albert's son acceeded to the throne in 1901. With the succession of Prince Philip's son Charles the dynasty will change from SCG to SHSG, no?
By rights, Elizabeth II will be the last Monarch of the Saxe-Coburg & Gotha dynasty and Wettin family of Great Britain. The successor House will be one of the SHSG branches of the Oldenburgs, who I like to think of as the quiet achievers in dynastic expansion.

However, as the legal name and House name of the family has been Windsor since 1917, it's a purely academic diversion.

Personally, I like the way the Monarchys of the SHSG. They seem to be more "Down to Earth" than the Windsors. I also feel the same pertaining to the Royal Families of Luxembourg, Holland and Spain as well as the Princely Families of Liechtenstein and Germany.

Members of the former Ducal family of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha who hold a title of prince or princess carry the style of his/her serene highness. Does anyone have a link or know who is in the line of succession to the head of the house hold? Thanks in advance.

Next Star said:
Members of the former Ducal family of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha who hold a title of prince or princess carry the style of his/her serene highness.
Generally speaking Germanic Princely families = Serene Highness and Ducal families = Highness.

Members of the Saxon Royal, Grand Ducal and Ducal families bear their House title followed by 'Duke [or Duchess] of Saxony'.

Please: we don't have titles in Germany anymore. The correct form is:
Christian Name, Prinz /Prinzessin von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, Herzog/Herzogin von Sachsen. But no style and it's just their name as normal German citizens, which are all commoners due to our law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have the latest news and/or pictures on this camera shy family? Would love to see what's been going on with them.

Is the Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha family Catholic now? Or is that a Lutheran bishop in the photo? Or, I suppose, he could be Lutheran and just chatting with an RC bishop?

Does the family still live in Schloss Callenburg?

Prince Hubertus to marry

Prince Hubertus will marry the american Kelly Rdondesvedt on 23.05.2009 at Callenberg.

According to this Article date and place are not 100 % sure but they want to use this date. possibly would also be another place for the Wedding.

This link from Stefan's post is the larger pic of Erbprinz Hubertus and his fiancée Kelly Rondesvedt, who if I read it correctly is a NY investment banker.
Detailansicht

This link from Stefan's post is the larger pic of Erbprinz Hubertus and his fiancée Kelly Rondesvedt, who if I read it correctly is a NY investment banker.
Detailansicht

I believe the photo was taken at the reception for the 65. birthday of Prince Andreas in May as the Article states that this was the first time the Couple appeared together in the public.

Prince Hubertus will marry the american Kelly Rdondesvedt on 23.05.2009 at Callenberg.

According to this Article date and place are not 100 % sure but they want to use this date. possibly would also be another place for the Wedding.

What a coincidence. On the same day I will marry my fiance.

A nice lady - I hope he will be happy with her. :flowers:

Prince Hubertus & his bride-to-be have asked the mayor of Coburg to marry them. The mayor has been named as special public servant to be able to do that.

The couple expects over 400 guests for their wedding.

Information from the Dutch website: Monarchen.nl - de Europese vorstenhuizen

I feel tonns of sympathy for HRH Charles Edward of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, 2nd Duke of Albany, who was forced by Queen Victoria to leave Britain, to take over the Dukedom in Germany, because she had a "special feeling" on the Dukedom where his dear Albert was born and wanted it to stay in the family.

Charles Edward was 16 years old and very happy in London, close to his mother and only sister to whom he was always very close. The Dukedom should have been taken over by his uncle Arthur, Duke of Connaught or his first cousin Arthur, Prince of Connaught, but even though it brought great wealth neither wanted to go. Of course they did not want to leave the comfortable and fancy life they had in Britain to go to the convulsed Germany ruled by the neurotic, beligerant Emperor William II.

The obedient 16 YO Prince had to do what grandma commanded and after some hesitation he left for Germany. He did what everybody expected him to do; he was an efficient ruler and became an authentic German Prince. During WWI he refused to fight against his native Country and went to fight in the Russian front.

I saw a documentary on his life by British's Channel four named "Hitler's favourite royal". In my opinion the documentary had no base at all to conclude that "it must be that Charles Edward knew about all Hitler was doing"; this is very unfair to state and they do not provide any evidence leading to such conclusion. No too many people knew about the dimension of Hitler's actions, especially in Germany, where the press was under Hitler's control. Charles Edward was severely castigated by the allies and even forced to bankrupt. Fortunately he had his children's support.

Charles Edward was a very simple and straightforward person, he only wanted to enjoy life and was arbitrarily forced into a destiny he did nothing to find. At least he had the pleasure to see all his children married with noble persons, especially his daughter Sibylla who married the heir of the Swedish Throne and was the mother of the current King of Sweden.

Last edited:
The thread on the wedding of prince Hubertus and Kelly Rondestvedt can be found here.

Back
Top Bottom