The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaobetty22
I agree, there is not a lot of information about this family and it would be nice to get more info. They are very under-represented in any royal forums. Current pics would be a plus too!
The reason we don't see much of them is that the Saxe-Coburgs keep a very low profile. They may well attend the German and Austrian aristocratic weddings and social events, but any photographs don't seem to be widely published.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaobetty22
Current pics would be a plus too!
It's hard to find pictures of this family, but there's a nice photo session of the head of the Ducal family, Prince Andreas, with his wife, Princess Corin, and their children (Stephanie, Hubertus and Alexander), from their vacations in Karwendelgebirge, back in 1998.

(I must add that Hubertus is even more good-looking now... )

Photos by SeegerPress:

Old 05-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

By SeegerPress (cont.):

Old 09-05-2006, 07:37 PM

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the pics!! Anybody have more recent ones?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:52 AM
Commoner

Are Stephanie, Hubertus and Alexander involved with someone? Do they have boy/girlfriends?

Daniela
Old 10-30-2006, 01:19 AM

oh, you have some beautiful cards! i collect postcards, too, of some of the royal families of Europe. i have about 50 cards, they are my pride and joy! thanks for sharing yours...
Old 12-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Courtier

My favourite line of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha is the Kohary branch, which is descended from Louis Philippe of France and Don Pedro II (Emperor) of Brazil.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:34 AM
Administrator

So, tell us about the Koharys and why they are your favourite SCGs.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota
My favourite line of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha is the Kohary branch, which is descended from Louis Philippe of France and Don Pedro II (Emperor) of Brazil.
Are you able to read German? Then this book might interest you, if you don't know it already, that is...

KNODT, J.:
Ferdinand der Bulgare. Die Balkanmission eines Prinzen aus dem Hause Sachsen-Koburg und Gotha-Kohary. 1887-1918.
Bielefeld,, 1947.
Mit Fotos. 236 S. Fotoill. OBrosch.

You could try www.zvab.de or www.abebooks.de or inter-library loan in case you want to get it.

I read a bit about the Kohary and yes, it's quite an interesting branch. One Saxe-Coburg-Gotha marrying the Kohary-heiress, then their son marrying the heiress of Portugal, another descendent becoming first the duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, then duke of Saxony and finally tsar of Bulgaria... quite the career!
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
I read a bit about the Kohary and yes, it's quite an interesting branch. One Saxe-Coburg-Gotha marrying the Kohary-heiress, then their son marrying the heiress of Portugal, another descendent becoming first the duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, then duke of Saxony and finally tsar of Bulgaria... quite the career!
Foxy Ferdinand is certainly the most interesting (along with his ambitious mother), but he was a Duke of Saxony at birth, as are all members of the Wettin dynasty.
Ferdinand was never Duke of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha as that position was held by Prince Albert's brother Duke Ernest II, followed by Albert and Queen Victoria's son Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, then by Prince Leopold's son, the unfortunate Karl Eduard.

The Palais Kohary in Vienna remained in the possession of a member of the SCG family until its sale after their death in 1994. I believe it is now a hotel.
The Villa Coburg is today owned by Princess Felicitas, a member of the Kohary (Brazilian) branch. Her half-brother, Prince Johannes, was the intended heir of the childless Margrave of Mesissen, Head of the Royal House of Saxony, until his untimely and tragic accidental death in 1987 at the age of 18.
The heir of Saxony is now Prince Alexander of Saxe-Gessaphe, who is the eldest son the Margrave's sister.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Foxy Ferdinand is certainly the most interesting (along with his ambitious mother), but he was a Duke of Saxony at birth, as are all members of the Wettin dynasty.
Ferdinand was never Duke of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha as that position was held by Prince Albert's brother Duke Ernest II, followed by Albert and Queen Victoria's son Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, then by Prince Leopold's son, the unfortunate Karl Eduard.
Prince Albert was never reigning Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha as hed died in 1861 and his brother did in 1893.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-15-2006, 04:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Prince Albert was never reigning Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha as hed died in 1861 and his brother did in 1893.
I didn't say he was. I said that Ernest II was followed by Albert and Victoria's son, Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh. Seems clear enough.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Courtier

There are several branches of royal families that have held the name Saxe Coburg and Gotha the regining Beligian royal family holds that name. At other times the British, Danish, and Norweigan royal families held that name also.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 01-03-2007, 03:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star
There are several branches of royal families that have held the name Saxe Coburg and Gotha the regining Beligian royal family holds that name. At other times the British, Danish, and Norweigan royal families held that name also.
Neither the Danish nor the Norwegian royal families have been Saxe-Coburg & Gotha.
I think you have confused SCG with Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, which originated as Oldenburg, not Wettin.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Courtier

Okay the Norway and Denmark royal families did not have the name Saxe Coburg-Gotha. But I still know that without a doubt that the reigning Belegian royal holds that name and that British royal family once held that name until 1917. I must admit I did get the those four houses confused I am not perfect.
Quote:
Neither the Danish nor the Norwegian royal families have been Saxe-Coburg & Gotha.
I think you have confused SCG with Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, which originated as Oldenburg, not Wettin.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I must admit I did get the those four houses confused I am not perfect.
Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg is not "four houses", it is the name of one branch of the Oldenburg dynasty, and came into existence in 1825.

The Belgian RF is indeed Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, although they are shy of using that dynastic name, and prefer "of Belgium".
Old 01-04-2007, 04:54 AM
Courtier

Okay well I meant to say there last names and once again I am not perfect. I also was talking about Britian, Denmark,and Norway too well in fact all four I had those mixed up. Your confuse because you did not read my post good enough. Schleswig-Holestein-sonderburg-Gluckburg is not a royal house but the rest of those monarchies have an royal house.
Quote:
Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg is not "four houses", it is the name of one branch of the Oldenburg dynasty, and came into existence in 1825.

The Belgian RF is indeed Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, although they are shy of using that dynastic name, and prefer "of Belgium".

Old 01-05-2007, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Schleswig-Holestein-sonderburg-Gluckburg is not a royal house
We are well away from the topic of the Saxe-Coburgs, but if these threads are to retain any credibility, incorrect statements of fact can't be left to stand.

Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg is a Royal House:

Royal House of Denmark: Oldenburg (aka Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg);
Royal House of Norway: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg;
Royal House of Greece: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.
It is also the Ducal House of the Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

These Houses, three Royal and one Ducal, have the common ancestor of Duke (Herzog) Wilhelm, who in 1825 became the first Duke to bear the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg name.

Now we have that settled, can we please return to the Saxe-Coburgs.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
We are well away from the topic of the Saxe-Coburgs, but if these threads are to retain any credibility, incorrect statements of fact can't be left to stand.

Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg is a Royal House:

Royal House of Denmark: Oldenburg (aka Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg);
Royal House of Norway: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg;
Royal House of Greece: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.
It is also the Ducal House of the Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

These Houses, three Royal and one Ducal, have the common ancestor of Duke (Herzog) Wilhelm, who in 1825 became the first Duke to bear the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg name.

Now we have that settled, can we please return to the Saxe-Coburgs.
Warren, will the British RF become SHSG, too when Charles acceeds to the throne? At the moment (to come back on topic) the House of Windsor is Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha since Prince Albert's son acceeded to the throne in 1901. With the succession of Prince Philip's son Charles the dynasty will change from SCG to SHSG, no?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Will the British RF become SHSG, too when Charles acceeds to the throne? At the moment (to come back on topic) the House of Windsor is Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha since Prince Albert's son acceeded to the throne in 1901. With the succession of Prince Philip's son Charles the dynasty will change from SCG to SHSG, no?
By rights, Elizabeth II will be the last Monarch of the Saxe-Coburg & Gotha dynasty and Wettin family of Great Britain. The successor House will be one of the SHSG branches of the Oldenburgs, who I like to think of as the quiet achievers in dynastic expansion.

However, as the legal name and House name of the family has been Windsor since 1917, it's a purely academic diversion.