The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Commoner

Ducal House of Anhalt (Ascania)

Arms of the Ducal House of Anhalt

The Ducal House of Anhalt
House of Ascania

The Ruling House traces its origin to a Count Esico (d 1059-60). His descendants acquired the county of Ballenstedt and c1100, that of Ascania.
Bernhard, Count of Ascania and Anhalt obtained the title Duke of Saxony in 1180.
His younger sons founded the Ducal lines of Saxe-Lauenburg (extinct 1689) and Saxe-Wittenberg (extinct 1422);
His elder son Heinrich I took the title of Prince in 1218 and is the real founder of the Princely House of Anhalt.
Following many divisions and sub-divisions of territory, in 1570 all the possessions of the family were reunited in the person of Prince Joachim Ernst (1536-1586).
In 1603 his sons decided on a new partition and founded the following lines:

Anhalt-Dessau - the only line still extant
Anhalt-Kothen - extinct 1665, succeeded by the line of Plotzkau - extinct 1847
Anhalt-Zerbst - extinct 1793
Anhalt-Bernberg - extinct 1863

The title of Duke was conferred on the line of Anhalt-Bernberg in 1806 and assumed by the lines of Dessau and Kothen in 1807.
The Duchies of Anhalt-Dessau and Anhalt-Bernberg were reunited into the Duchy of Anhalt in 1863.

The dynasty ceased to reign 12 November 1918.

Members of the family bear the title of Prince or Princess of Anhalt with the qualification of Highness.
The Princes bear the additional titles of Duke of Saxony, Count of Ascania.

° ° °

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I understand that the duke of anhalt can't possibly be the son of his"father' and that this is public knowledge.is he accepted by the other german royal/princely houses.has he ever spoken publicly about this,perhaps in an interview.

p.s. how do the remaining members of the anhalt family feel in regard to this man.

Old 06-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Aristocracy

as far as i know the anhalt family is considered extinct in the male line

Old 06-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Commoner

does this man who claims to be the duke have rights to any family prpoerties that have or may in future be returned to the family.i ask this because he has stated that he intends to return to anhalt.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Gentry

I believe that if a child is acknowledged within marriage, he is considered the husband's son, regardless of what DNA might say.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Royal Highness

what is the story here?
h'm anyone, can you tell me what the scandal is?! Pleeeease...
Old 10-16-2005, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
h'm anyone, can you tell me what the scandal is?! Pleeeease...
It's not a scandal, merely speculation. It relates to the date of birth of Duke Eduard in 1941 and the movements of his father Duke Joachim Ernst while he was at the Eastern Front nine months beforehand.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Dukes etc of Anhalt

hi, does anyone have information about:

HH Princess Julia-Katharina of Anhalt
HH Prinsess Eilika of Anhalt
HH Princess Felicitas of Anhalt
Old 11-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn
hi, does anyone have information about:
HH Princess Julia-Katharina of Anhalt
HH Prinsess Eilika of Anhalt
HH Princess Felicitas of Anhalt
Only the basics:

Eduard, Duke of Anhalt married 1980 Marie (Corinna) Kronlein. They have three daughters:

Princesses Julia Katharina b 1983, Eilika b 1987, and Felicitas b 1993.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

is princess Julia Katharina the heir?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Duke Eduard is the only living male of the Ducal House of Anhalt. If he dies without male issue then the House will become extinct in the male line.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Duke Eduard is the only living male of the Ducal House of Anhalt. If he dies without male issue then the House will become extinct in the male line.
Couldn't they just create a new law within the family to allow women to succeed? I think they would prefer that to extiction!

Old 11-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla1971
Couldn't they just create a new law within the family to allow women to succeed? I think they would prefer that to extiction!
Basically no. The rules of the House were set up under the old Holy Roman Empire (in effect the Emperor of Austria). As neither the Empire nor the Emperor exist anymore, the rules are set in stone and the House will probably become extinct.

This won't be the first German House to go this way, and it won't be the last. The Royal House of Saxony is also facing the prospect of having no living male heirs. What the Head of the Royal House, the Margrave of Meissen (who incidentally is married to a Princess of Anhalt) has done is to try and circumvent the "rules". He has named his sister's son as "Heir to the Headship" of the Royal House of Saxony, but it remains to be seen if this is recognised by the other Royal and Mediatised families when the time comes.

King Michael of Romania also faces the same situation of no male heirs and the old Royal Constitution does not allow female succession within the House.

Among others:
The Ducal House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg became extinct in 1931;
The Princely House of Reuss-Schleiz (Younger Line): extinct 1945;
The Princely House of Schwarzburg (-Rudolstadt): extinct 1971;
The Ducal House of Saxe-Altenburg: extinct 1991.

The Ducal House of Saxe-Meiningen has only two living males; while the Grand Ducal House of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach has only three.

World Wars I and II took a heavy toll on the German Houses; many young Princes died. For example, the Saxe-Meiningen family lost four in WWI and three in WWII: seven Princes in two generations from a family that was never very large.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I asked this because I read it somewhere..

http://www.nettyroyal.nl/julia.html
Old 11-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I asked this because I read it somewhere..

http://www.nettyroyal.nl/julia.html
Interesting site, but I would take Warren's opinion into consideration. He knows alot about this subject and, unless you know who supplied the info and know that they're reliable, I'd listen to our very own German history expert!

Old 11-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
To clarify, she may be the "heiress" of her father but cannot be the Heiress of the Ducal House of Anhalt because the Ducal House, like most of the former reigning and Mediatised Houses, follows Salic Law. Evidence of Princess Julia Katharina's true status can be determined by the fact that nowhere is she referred to as Her Highness Hereditary Princess of Anhalt.*

* Even though Anhalt was a sovereign Duchy until 1918, the heir to the throne bore the title Hereditary Prince of Anhalt, and not Hereditary Duke.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

thank you warren :) :)
Old 11-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Gentry

Princess Sophie Friederike Auguste von Anhalt-Zerbst, daughter of Christian August, Prince of Anhalt -Zerbst, became the Empress Catherine the Great.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:17 PM
Gentry

A prince of the Ducal House of Anhalt married into the British Royal Family once. In 1891 Prince Aribert, the 3rd son of Leopold, the Duke of Anhalt married Princess Marie Louise of Schleswig-Holstein, whose mother The Princess Helena, was Queen Victoria's daughter. However, the marriage was childless and unhappy and was annulled in 1900 by the reigning Duke, thus ending Anhalt links with the BRF.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Aristocracy

Marie-Auguste of Anhalt, Princess Joachim of Prussia

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5...eanhaltyj0.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/902...ugustevsu1.jpg
Old 06-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hope I do not get off subject here but isn't Za Za Gabor's husband prancing around as a Prince Von Anhalt?
LOL Before I file for divorce I need to know if these gentlement are serious and truly noble........LOL