Ducal House of Anhalt (Ascania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcc

Commoner
Coat_of_Arms_of_the_Duchy_of_Anhalt.svg

Arms of the Ducal House of Anhalt

The Ducal House of Anhalt
House of Ascania

The Ruling House traces its origin to a Count Esico (d 1059-60). His descendants acquired the county of Ballenstedt and c1100, that of Ascania.
Bernhard, Count of Ascania and Anhalt obtained the title Duke of Saxony in 1180.
His younger sons founded the Ducal lines of Saxe-Lauenburg (extinct 1689) and Saxe-Wittenberg (extinct 1422);
His elder son Heinrich I took the title of Prince in 1218 and is the real founder of the Princely House of Anhalt.
Following many divisions and sub-divisions of territory, in 1570 all the possessions of the family were reunited in the person of Prince Joachim Ernst (1536-1586).
In 1603 his sons decided on a new partition and founded the following lines:

Anhalt-Dessau - the only line still extant
Anhalt-Kothen - extinct 1665, succeeded by the line of Plotzkau - extinct 1847
Anhalt-Zerbst - extinct 1793
Anhalt-Bernberg - extinct 1863

The title of Duke was conferred on the line of Anhalt-Bernberg in 1806 and assumed by the lines of Dessau and Kothen in 1807.
The Duchies of Anhalt-Dessau and Anhalt-Bernberg were reunited into the Duchy of Anhalt in 1863.

The dynasty ceased to reign 12 November 1918.

Members of the family bear the title of Prince or Princess of Anhalt with the qualification of Highness.
The Princes bear the additional titles of Duke of Saxony, Count of Ascania.

° ° °

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I understand that the duke of anhalt can't possibly be the son of his"father' and that this is public knowledge.is he accepted by the other german royal/princely houses.has he ever spoken publicly about this,perhaps in an interview.

p.s. how do the remaining members of the anhalt family feel in regard to this man.

Last edited by a moderator:
as far as i know the anhalt family is considered extinct in the male line

does this man who claims to be the duke have rights to any family prpoerties that have or may in future be returned to the family.i ask this because he has stated that he intends to return to anhalt.

I believe that if a child is acknowledged within marriage, he is considered the husband's son, regardless of what DNA might say.

what is the story here?
h'm anyone, can you tell me what the scandal is?! Pleeeease...

Last edited by a moderator:
auntie said:
h'm anyone, can you tell me what the scandal is?! Pleeeease...
It's not a scandal, merely speculation. It relates to the date of birth of Duke Eduard in 1941 and the movements of his father Duke Joachim Ernst while he was at the Eastern Front nine months beforehand.

Dukes etc of Anhalt

hi, does anyone have information about:

HH Princess Julia-Katharina of Anhalt
HH Prinsess Eilika of Anhalt
HH Princess Felicitas of Anhalt

Princess Robijn said:
hi, does anyone have information about:
HH Princess Julia-Katharina of Anhalt
HH Prinsess Eilika of Anhalt
HH Princess Felicitas of Anhalt
Only the basics:

Eduard, Duke of Anhalt married 1980 Marie (Corinna) Kronlein. They have three daughters:

Princesses Julia Katharina b 1983, Eilika b 1987, and Felicitas b 1993.

is princess Julia Katharina the heir?

Princess Robijn said:
Duke Eduard is the only living male of the Ducal House of Anhalt. If he dies without male issue then the House will become extinct in the male line.

Warren said:
Duke Eduard is the only living male of the Ducal House of Anhalt. If he dies without male issue then the House will become extinct in the male line.

Couldn't they just create a new law within the family to allow women to succeed? I think they would prefer that to extiction!

Layla1971 said:
Couldn't they just create a new law within the family to allow women to succeed? I think they would prefer that to extiction!
Basically no. The rules of the House were set up under the old Holy Roman Empire (in effect the Emperor of Austria). As neither the Empire nor the Emperor exist anymore, the rules are set in stone and the House will probably become extinct.

This won't be the first German House to go this way, and it won't be the last. The Royal House of Saxony is also facing the prospect of having no living male heirs. What the Head of the Royal House, the Margrave of Meissen (who incidentally is married to a Princess of Anhalt) has done is to try and circumvent the "rules". He has named his sister's son as "Heir to the Headship" of the Royal House of Saxony, but it remains to be seen if this is recognised by the other Royal and Mediatised families when the time comes.

King Michael of Romania also faces the same situation of no male heirs and the old Royal Constitution does not allow female succession within the House.

Among others:
The Ducal House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg became extinct in 1931;
The Princely House of Reuss-Schleiz (Younger Line): extinct 1945;
The Princely House of Schwarzburg (-Rudolstadt): extinct 1971;
The Ducal House of Saxe-Altenburg: extinct 1991.

The Ducal House of Saxe-Meiningen has only two living males; while the Grand Ducal House of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach has only three.

World Wars I and II took a heavy toll on the German Houses; many young Princes died. For example, the Saxe-Meiningen family lost four in WWI and three in WWII: seven Princes in two generations from a family that was never very large.

Princess Robijn said:
I asked this because I read it somewhere..

http://www.nettyroyal.nl/julia.html

Interesting site, but I would take Warren's opinion into consideration. He knows alot about this subject and, unless you know who supplied the info and know that they're reliable, I'd listen to our very own German history expert!

Princess Robijn said:
To clarify, she may be the "heiress" of her father but cannot be the Heiress of the Ducal House of Anhalt because the Ducal House, like most of the former reigning and Mediatised Houses, follows Salic Law. Evidence of Princess Julia Katharina's true status can be determined by the fact that nowhere is she referred to as Her Highness Hereditary Princess of Anhalt.*

* Even though Anhalt was a sovereign Duchy until 1918, the heir to the throne bore the title Hereditary Prince of Anhalt, and not Hereditary Duke.

Princess Sophie Friederike Auguste von Anhalt-Zerbst, daughter of Christian August, Prince of Anhalt -Zerbst, became the Empress Catherine the Great.

A prince of the Ducal House of Anhalt married into the British Royal Family once. In 1891 Prince Aribert, the 3rd son of Leopold, the Duke of Anhalt married Princess Marie Louise of Schleswig-Holstein, whose mother The Princess Helena, was Queen Victoria's daughter. However, the marriage was childless and unhappy and was annulled in 1900 by the reigning Duke, thus ending Anhalt links with the BRF.

Hope I do not get off subject here but isn't Za Za Gabor's husband prancing around as a Prince Von Anhalt?
LOL Before I file for divorce I need to know if these gentlement are serious and truly noble........LOL

Of course, given that noble titles no longer actually exist in Germany (in legal terms)...

Of course, given that noble titles no longer actually exist in Germany (in legal terms)...

LOL My joke was in reference to the nobles who have a reality show on German TV looking for brides.
BTW I have read numerous times that mothers of princes throughout Europe were always looking towards Germany for the large number of princesses and ladies from noble families who live quiet lives but have blue blood running through their veins.
Lastly does anyone have any links for me to read about the princess who "adopted" Za Za's husband and bestowed the title to him?
Thank you

Lastly does anyone have any links for me to read about the princess who "adopted" Za Za's husband and bestowed the title to him?
Thank you

Yes, i'd like to read about her aswell...does anyone have a link??? i read that she adopted Za Za's husband in order for him to get the surname (Prinz von Anhalt) for money....and that he might not be the only one she adopted for the same reasons, she must have been really desperate for money to do that! i might be wrong but thats from what i can gather from this thread.:eek::eek::eek:

Yes, i'd like to read about her aswell...does anyone have a link??? i read that she adopted Za Za's husband in order for him to get the surname (Prinz von Anhalt) for money....and that he might not be the only one she adopted for the same reasons, she must have been really desperate for money to do that! i might be wrong but thats from what i can gather from this thread.:eek::eek::eek:

Princess Marie Auguste of Anhalt (widow of Prince Joachim of Prussia) adopted Hans Robert Lichtenberg in 1980, who changed his name to Frederic Prinz von Anhalt. Frederic said that he was friends with her son, Prince Karl of Prussia, who died. Most people however assume he paid the princess for the adoption. Frederic is now 'selling' the title too btw.

Marie-Auguste married prince Joachim of Prussia, son of the Kaiser in 1916. Joachim comitted suicide after 4 years of marriage. The princess remarried in 1926 to Johannes-Michael Freiherr von Loën, which ended in a divorce in 1935.

Last edited:
Does the family still have property belonging to the Duchy, can the girls inherit it?

Recent posts about people with the name of von Anhalt who have no relation or relevance to the Ducal House have been removed.

Warren
Germany-Austria moderator

Prince Eduard of Anhalt tells in BILD zeitung what he will show 'his cousin' the Prince of Wales when Charles will visit Halle next year.

Article in German here.

I was quite surprised to learn that Prince Eduard of Anhalt, "His Highness the Duke of Anhalt", who presumably is a Protestant (Lutheran Evangelical?), was made a Bailliff Grand Cross of Justice and Honour of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of St. George, an exclusively Catholic Order, by HRH the Infante Don Carlos, Duke of Calabria. Is there any particular reason for this exceptional honour? Added to the mystery surrounding his own birth while his late father was fighting on the Eastern front, is the fact that he married Corinna Krönlein in a religious ceremony in 1986, six years after the civil marriage and after the birth of their first two daughters in December 1980 and July 1985.

Looking for pictures

I'm looking for pictures of:
- Elisabeth Strickrodt (1903-1971), 1st wife of Joachim Ernst duke of Anhalt (1901-1947)
- Dorothea von Sonnenberg (1781-1818) and Ernestine von Sonnenberg (1789-1845), 2nd and 3rd wife of Alexius duke of Anhalt-Bernburg (1767-1834)
- August Christian duke of Anhalt-Köthen (1769-1812) and his wife Karoline Friederike princess of Nassau-Usingen (1777-1821)
- Luise princess of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck, 1st wife of Friedrich Ferdinand duke of Anhalt-Köthen, Fürst of Anhalt-Pless (1769-1830)
- Auguste princess Reuss zu Köstritz (1794-1855), wife of Heinrich duke of Anhalt-Köthen, prince of Anhalt-Pless (1778-1847)

Does anyone have some?

Thanks for the reply.

Prince Eduard von Anhalt and Princess Corinna von Anhalt attend the
Sustainability Award at the Deutsche Historische Museum on April 29,
2009 in Berlin, Germany. The award was handed out to Prince Charles
who visited Germany , so more pics of the event can be found here.

------> Pic

Back
Top Bottom