Death & Funeral of Richard, 6th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg: March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^True. Benedikte seemed very emotional at the arrival at the church though.

Who were the gentlemen at the entrance of he Church. A lot of Royals kissed them?

Members of the various royal houses arriving for the funeral of Richard, 6th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg at the Evangelische Stadtkirche in Bad Berleburg.

PPE Agency

HRH Prince Henrik & HM Queen Margrethe leaving the church
https://images.scribblelive.com/2017/3/21/6b06dcff-b135-46ad-a944-4680805accf8_800.jpg

TRH Crown Prince Frederik & Crown Princess Mary holding each others hands leaving the church
https://images.scribblelive.com/2017/3/21/3b9b0f13-cf8a-4017-b2b1-e55a85ecc3a4_800.jpg

'

HRH Princess Benedikte leave the church
https://images.scribblelive.com/2017/3/21/c7ef7776-b4f4-4237-bd9c-068f74d97b2b_800.jpg

Now the private reception and no more press covering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that Princess Benedikte walked with her grandson rather than with her son and his partner. ????

Interesting that Princess Benedikte walked with her grandson rather than with her son and his partner. ????

I would see it as a positive sign for a great and close relationship between granmother and grandchildren, in this case grandson. I doubt it has another meaning.

** rex gallery **

The gettyimages I've posted on the previous page has been updated in the meantime, here it is without watermarks:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

** dailymail: Denmark's Princess Benedikte joins the Danish royal family at the funeral of her husband Prince Richard following his sudden death **

Last edited:

He is the eldest grandson, right? I think it has something to do with this, but that's speculation.

Into the list guests, I have seen to King constantine and Queen Anne-Marie their children, but I do not find one photo of Crown Prince Pavlos???

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

it is interesting that there is, thus far, no sign of Pavlos or Marie. I hope none of the kids are sick or anything.

Edit: and there he is. So, no conspiracy needed, lol.

Last edited:
Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands had a special bond with the late Prince Richard. He was befriended with the German aristocrat Claus von Amsberg and on an evening in June 1964 at Schloss Kronberg something happened. That evening saw the ball for the wedding of Princess Tatiana (Prince Richard's sister) with Prince Moritz von Hessen.

Princess Beatrix felt head over heels in love with that charming gentleman Claus von Amsberg who was there with Prince Richard. To give this fresh blooming love a chance without media intrusion, Prince Richard was willing to appear in public with the Princess. So the media was fooled, leading to rumours about an engagement of the future Queen of the Netherlands with Prince Richard zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. In the meantime Beatrix and Claus could learn each other better and better.

In return, in March 1966, Prince Richard was one of the guests on the wedding of Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus, in Amsterdam. There he met a ravissante beauty, named Princess Benedikte of Denmark. The rest is history...

No wonder that the Princess joins her son Willem-Alexander and her daughter-in-law Máxima to the funeral. They had such a special bond and it must be aching for her to know that her Claus' dear friend has left this world too...

lovely story. there sure is a strong bond between these two families!

also nice to see all the royal representation not only from denmark but from the netherlands, sweden, greece, jordan, norway. so sad to see nathalie and her daughter crying, along with carina. benedikte and gustav managed to remain collected.

a couple of things i noticed:

mary and marie are both wearing very similar brooches. i wonder if this is a link to richard / his household?

Zakia Akkouh is attending with Martha louise. i believe she is her advisor / PA? it is interesting she is listed in the guest list.

a couple of things i noticed:

mary and marie are both wearing very similar brooches. i wonder if this is a link to richard / his household?

It's hard to see Marie's brooch, but I think it's the daisy brooch that Margrethe gifted her.

I'm still searching about Mary's. It may be that they chose daisy like brooch's for the link to Margrethe, but I don't know for sure.

I find rather offensive that prince Henrik didn't bother to attend.
I'm also shocked to see the once sporty king Constantine looking so extremely frail.

I find rather offensive that prince Henrik didn't bother to attend.
I'm also shocked to see the once sporty king Constantine looking so extremely frail.

Henrik attended and appears in several photos

The late Prince Richard said that Prince Henrik was very kind to him, his best contact with his Danish Siblings.

Last edited:
probably a Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleberg. Sort of looks like August-Frederik, the younger son of Ludwig, to me.

It could be Franz-Albrecht Erbprinz zu Oettingen-Oettingen und Oettingen-Spielberg

Last edited:
Thank you for recounting that charming story.

What about Pavlov's of Greece? He doesn't seem to figure in any danish royal events anymore

Prince Pavlos did attend at the church. You can see him in the photos from PPE with his siblings following behind Frederik, Mary, Joachim and Marie

I noticed, for all the talk of Benedikte not being an emotional person she seemed very upset after they viewed Richard's coffin leaving the castle. As they walked back in Anne-Marie was there to hold her hand and Benedikte seemed really touched. I think, rather like QE2 and that generation, Benedikte doesn't like to show emotion in public and to the press.

Last edited:
It could be Franz-Albrecht Erbprinz zu Oettingen-Oettingen und Oettingen-Spielberg

Yes it is him. He hereditary Prince Heinrich zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, Count Karl zu Solms-Laubach, Landgrave Doantus of Hesse and a few others greeted the guests before the church

Back
Top Bottom