Chantal Hochuli, formerly The Princess of Hanover

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think Ernst would ever cheat on Caroline... I think he is a bit scared of her!

Few years ago Caroline kicked up a row with EA, because during their annual cruise on the Mediterranean, when they stopped in Pantelleria island, she caught him glancing at local girl's breasts. Men!

I agree with you! If it ever turns out true, the first thing coming to my mind will be Caroline holding a baseball bat! lol

MoonlightRhapsody said:
I just can't help feeling bad for this woman, no matter how much time has passed. Collette was right, true fairytale romances rarely happen, and it seems especially true with royals. Infidelities are more rampant in royal circles, it seems. At least she's happy with her life now. She's better off without a cheating man like Ernst. I wouldn't be surprised if he cheats on Caroline too. Once a cheater, always a cheater.
I don´t agree with you i prefer to think he was so in live with Caroline that he had no other choice,these things happen too.

rosana said:
I don´t agree with you i prefer to think he was so in live with Caroline that he had no other choice,these things happen too.

I think that is a little romanticized, rosana. As an intelligent adult, of course he had a choice whether to stay in his marriage or pursue his relationship with Caroline.

Avareenah said:
I think that is a little romanticized, rosana. As an intelligent adult, of course he had a choice whether to stay in his marriage or pursue his relationship with Caroline.
Ya, you´re right, too romanticism.And it was not the first time he cheated his wife, the marriage was over long time ago,imo.

So, Ernst had cheated whilst married to Chantal (I mean prior to Caroline)? :ohmy:

Avareenah said:
So, Ernst had cheated whilst married to Chantal (I mean prior to Caroline)? :ohmy:

He cheated on Chantal WITH Caroline. They were still legally married when Caroline became involved with Ernst. Caroline became pregnant before they married; she was four months pregnant at the time of their marriage. What makes it worse was that Chantal and Caroline were allegedly friends.

Just for the record, Caro and Ernst got together around 1995, and she got pregnant almost 4 years later, at the end of 1998. By that time Ernst was separated and I think also divorced. As for the cheating, I think it's very difficult to judge a situation based on what mags say; as we all know they are not always reliable.

Chantal and EA were still married when he started dating Caroline.
In an interview Chantal gaveCHI mag, she loved her husband and that they would never divorce.

Grace said:
Just for the record, Caro and Ernst got together around 1995, and she got pregnant almost 4 years later, at the end of 1998. By that time Ernst was separated and I think also divorced. As for the cheating, I think it's very difficult to judge a situation based on what mags say; as we all know they are not always reliable.

If I'm not wrong, Chantal made an announcement for the end of her marriage, and she said that her divorce was also due to a "third person's influence". Everybody at this moment deducted that she was referring to Caroline.

When rumours of Caroline dating Ernst started, Chantal was still married with EA. They might be just legally, but "not really" married anymore, but we did not know it at this time.

A couple of pictures taken from an old issue of CHI mag:

Chantal and Ernst August pictured when she denied they would have ever divorced, but in reality he was already dating Caroline:
CHI 1

and a portrait of Chantal:
CHI 2

She is still Princess of Hanover. After her divorce she ceased to be The Princess of Hanover

Iam not sure, but I read that Chantal was Caroline´s friend.

Iam not sure, but I read that Chantal was Caroline´s friend.

Chantal was one of Caroline's best friend.
If I am not wrong they met in a Swiss school when they were young.

Caroline don´t study in Swiss

I know that she doesn't study in Switzerland, now.
Anyways, I am probably wrong and she didn't met Chantal in a school in Switzerland.

If I'm not mistaken she's Chantal, the Princess of Hanover; whilst Caroline is styled Her Royal Highness the Princess of Hanover.

If I'm not mistaken she's Chantal, the Princess of Hanover; whilst Caroline is styled Her Royal Highness the Princess of Hanover.
:flowers:As far as I know, you are perfectly right.
Wikipedia says:
  • Miss Chantal Hochuli (1955-1981)
  • Her Royal Highness The Princess of Hanover (1981-1997)
  • Chantal, Princess of Hanover (since 1997)
"As the former wife of The Prince of Hanover, her title The Princess of Hanover change on the format used for the ex-wives of peers, namely her personal name, followed by her title".
Chantal Hochuli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you remember when and where did Chantal and Caroline meet?
I thought it was in a school..

Last edited:
Do you remember when and where did Chantal and Caroline meet?
I thought it was in a school..
[/quote]

Sorry, I do not know when they first met, but I read in the old issue of CHI mag, where I took those Chantal pics, that Chantal's mother Henriette Hochuli was one of the richest Monaco resident, and when she heard about Caroline and Ernst's love affair, she threatened Prince Rainier she would quit the Principality for good, and most of all to take her extremely considerable fortune away from Monaco. I wonder if she ever did...

Thanks, anyways:flowers:
We'll find it out sooner or later. However, it was a long time friendship.
I am sure that you remember that picture of Caroline with Chantal and Ernst when she was with Junot, about 20 years ago then.
I remember that article on Chi about Chantal's mother. I wonder if it was a true story or only a journalist 's gossip.

Few years ago Caroline kicked up a row with EA, because during their annual cruise on the Mediterranean, when they stopped in Pantelleria island, she caught him glancing at local girl's breasts. Men!

I was reliably informed by more than one married gentleman, that the golden rule is, "look, but don't touch".

That said, there is a matter of when to look, and being discrete in certain surroundings.

On the other hand, does it - the matter of a guy looking when his wife is around (and her getting upset about it) - imply a certain insecurity of the better half???

Last edited:
A couple of pictures taken from an old issue of CHI mag:

Chantal and Ernst August pictured when she denied they would have ever divorced, but in reality he was already dating Caroline:
CHI 1

and a portrait of Chantal:
CHI 2
To me... there is an element of her looking 'woe-b-gone' in the first picture, and she radiates a certain strength and consequent beauty in the second picture.

i always thought Caroline and her siblings had studied in Rosey, cuz Ranier, her father had studied there and he used to like a lot the school.
anyone knows for sure where have the grimaldi studied?

:previous:
This question is better asked in the Monaco Forum, rather than the German-Austrian.

Just looking for the first time on this board. This is exactly why I don't like the Monaco princesses and princes. They are beautifull, but sometimes I think they have no values whatsoever. Have they ever heard of being faithfull... Of course the same can be said about EA. Not a very nice man and that is an understatement. And if you really think that the marriage was not good right from the start, as some of you pointed out: Why stay with your wife for more than 16 years? No it is better not to read this things (i won't after i have written this) for one of other reason it makes me angry

Hmmm...from what I have read Prince Ernst and his first wife Chantal were a close and loving couple...they were very popular and on the London party scene...I think they were nicknamed "Piggy?"

I can see why the Prince fell for Caroline...she was a gorgeous young widow, very vulnerable. Very appealing to a wealthy and powerful man.

Caroline strikes me as one of those women who can simply never, never be without a man in her life. She went from Vincent Lindon to Ernst August rather quickly after she was widowed. I have read that Ernst-August made her laugh, he was very tender and attentive. The fact that he is immensely wealthy and a Royal Highness probably didn't hurt at all...for the first time she was going to have an opportunity to marry a man "worthy" of her own status and subconciously she had to have been aware that EA was the man her late mother wanted for her.

These are only my guesses as to what happened. I do agree that I was rather shocked that Chantal had been a friend of Caroline's and someone she socialized with....what a mess:nonono:

Back
Top Bottom