What Is The Point Of The Gr Family?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a very unfair comment from your side,ReinaMissy.I, personally,don't find Sean rude or unpleasant.He just says things the way they really are and thats good on him.The true is ,that he knows far more than anyone else in here.I know that your argument is none of my business but i hate it when people accuse others to cover up their inabilities or lack of knowledge.

Thank you, Ellinotati. I wasn't trying to be rude or unpleasant, and was actually trying to word my posts as diplomatically as possible. Thanks again.

You take care.

Please remember or forum rules!!! It's really not appropiate to call other members nasty or rude...please keep this a discussion without fighting, respect eachother's point of views

I did not accuse Sean because of my "inability" or "lack of knowledge", ell. I accused Sean because that is honestly the way I see his posts.

Feel free to disagree with me, but please don't assume anything about me. If I lack knowledge, I'll admit it. I'm not the coward you imply.

Isabel said:
I don't think that Pavlos will refer to himself as King upon his father's death. King Constantine is addressed as such because he was the King of Greece at the time of the Greek monarchy's fall and went into exile as such. He actually was the reigning King of Greece at one time, whereas Pavlos will most likely not be. What will most likely happen with this family as times goes by, IMO, is that most of them will be referred to as Princes and Princesses and the title of Crown Prince itself will also no longer be used. The heir apparent will most likely be referred to as "the man who be King if Greece still had a monarchy."

People do pick on this family a lot more than other RF's because they get more media attention and are more visible and recognizable, than other member of non-reigning royal families. I think that what also needs to be kept in mind is that they do still hold titles of "Prince or Princess of Denmark" and Denmark is still a functioning monarchy.
Great post Isabel. I agree with your analysis with respect to titles completely. I don't disagree with the second half of the post either (well, not completely) . Yes, they are more visible, and one of the reasons for this is that monarchy was only abolished a little over 3 decades ago. So it wasn't actually that long ago, and many people of my parents generation are well aware of the coup in Greece & the events that led up to it/followed it. Since then the family -- and Constantine in particular -- has courted publicity through his activities and actions (not necessarily a bad thing). For instance, the former King is involved with the IOC, he's helped found a Greek school (which has/had a really poor curriculum, from what I've been told, but I can't substantiate it), he keeps company with high profile Greek shipping magnets, the Prince of Wales, the King of Spain, etc. His lawsuit against the Greek government also garnered much publicity, as did some of his 'business' dealings in the 1970s & his relationship with the family of the former Shah of Iran. All of these things have kept the family visible and, in some instances, have resulted in criticism from people (often rightly so, IMO). They court media attention -- interviews to Larry King, Hello, PdV, etc., and are not above making political statements. If one is going to voice ones political opinions publicly then one has to be willing to take the flak -- or be "picked-on" -- from those who see things differently. Conversely, other former royal families generally eschew media attention & refrain from making political statements (or do so with more tact and are less flambloyant, IMO).

Their familial ties to the royal houses of Spain and Denmark also make them more visible. Since their children are of the same age, they were oft pictured together, etc. & this too generated more interest in the family & what they were doing (which in turn led to criticisms of their lifestyles). Pavlos's marriage to the *voluntarily* high profile MC, too, has kept them in the public eye, and her lifestyle draws criticism from those who view it as superfluous. With respect to MC: if you are going to invite media into your home, then you will generate public interest. Just be prepared for the accompanying critical perspectives on your lifestyle.

Bah. I hope I'm making sense and not babbling. In any case, thanks for the engaging post.

Last edited:
ReinaMissy said:
I did not accuse Sean because of my "inability" or "lack of knowledge", ell. I accused Sean because that is honestly the way I see his posts.

Feel free to disagree with me, but please don't assume anything about me. If I lack knowledge, I'll admit it. I'm not the coward you imply.
Your posts and mannerism bellie your aforementioned claims If you have an issue with me take it to PM. It's more mature than false attributions & name calling.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I won't bother, Sean. It was already made clear to me in a private PM by Alexandria that I'm out of line. Never mind that you often act this way with other posters; apparently that's acceptable but when we object to it we're told we are attacking you.

I'm sorry we cannot simply discuss this amicably. My opinion has not changed; I still feel that you aren't being respectful. I certainly wasn't in my last few posts toward you and I admit that and apologize for it. It was uncalled for on my part.

Since I'm told I can't respond in such a manner and I can't promise that I won't in the future if I see more like posts from you, I think it's best if I leave the board.

Ciao.

ReinaMissy said:
I won't bother, Sean. It was already made clear to me in a private PM by Alexandria that I'm out of line. Never mind that you often act this way with other posters; apparently that's acceptable but when we object to it we're told we are attacking you.

I'm sorry we cannot simply discuss this amicably. My opinion has not changed; I still feel that you aren't being respectful. I certainly wasn't in my last few posts toward you and I admit that and apologize for it. It was uncalled for on my part.

Since I'm told I can't respond in such a manner and I can't promise that I won't in the future if I see more like posts from you, I think it's best if I leave the board.

Ciao.
You are entitled to your opinion and are free to do as you please. I was not disrespectful to you in any shape or form, as you are the one who misrepresented my post. In any case, do whatever makes you happy, no need for histrionics with regards to your pending demise from the board or to divulge the conents of private messages.

Indeed, as far as I can see, there is no reason for you to leave. I accept your apology. Delete the posts if you want & I will do likewise, and we can 'move on'.

Last edited:
Sean, I agree with your post entirely. The Greek Royals simply have more visibility internationally than many other non-reigning houses. Quite honestly I can think of instances in which they have more media coverage at times than some of the reigning houses.

Thank you for the examples of the reasons why they are such a huge topic of conversation in certain circles even though they are no longer reigning. They also attend more Royal engagements than some of the other non-reigning Royal houses, which is clearly due to the fact that they are related to so many of the reigning families in Europe. A representative of the GRF is almost always present at weddings, christenings, pre-wedding festivities and so on of the other Royal Houses of Europe.

Other Royals, especially the reigning also attend family events in the GRF. This, of course, generates much media attention.

I am really surprised at this point, that we haven't seen more of Pavlos's and MC's new son. I would have assumed that there would have been a photo spread and more media coverage. Perhaps, they are waiting until the christening? Surely, this will be yet another event in which their Royal relatives and associates will be present, thus generating more media attention. Certainly when this occurs we can look forward to a new thread in which most of us will participate at TRF (giving the Greek Royals a little bit more public attention.

Ok even if the monarchy is restored, I don't think Marie-Chantal would be a good Queen. Sorry, but I don't see her as having the potential.

Reina said:
Ok even if the monarchy is restored, I don't think Marie-Chantal would be a good Queen. Sorry, but I don't see her as having the potential.
I don't think many people think Marie Chantal has the potential to be a good queen either. She may be good at many other things, but a good queen who will be of service to her country rather than her country being of service to her -- nooooooooo.

It's hard (even impossible) for me to imagine Marie Chantal out shaking hands and talking to handicapped children or meeting senior citizens at a residence as Mathilde recently did. I get the sense from her that her idea of charity is writing a check. Although I don't really see Pavlos being that sympathetic or having much sympathy either for these sorts of things; he seems as involved and keen on his jet setting life as his wife is.

I certainly agree that MC doesn't seem that she would make a very good Queen.

Why???

I mean she comes from exellent familly,exellent studies,runs her own bussiness everybody likes Her in Greece,exapt some people in thiw forum!!

cuervo said:
everybody likes Her in Greece

You cannot honestly believe that EVERY SINGLE PERSON in Greece likes her. I know that's untrue because one of my friends comes from Crete, and the rest of his family still lives there, and they think she's pointless. So there's about 40 people right there who don't like her. Thus disproving your "everybody likes her in Greece" statement.

to be really objective, MC hasn't got the opportunity to show whether she has the qualities to be Queen. this is a non ruling RF. Everything she does now is befitting her current lifestyle.

Every person has certain qualities that she possesses in every situation in life. Just b/c MC is not going to be Queen does not mean she has not had the chance to prove that she is one. SHe just does not have those qualities that befits a queen. It is as simple as that.
Anyway it is so funny cuz in fashion and society magazine (Harper's, W, Town & Country, etc) they always refer to her as Marie-Chantal or Marie-Chantal of Greece. ANd sometimes they will cite her and her husband as Prince Pavlos of Greece and Marie-Chantal. I don't think I have ever seen any publication that cites her as Crown Princess of Greece. So I wonder what does she think of that.

Reina said:
Every person has certain qualities that she possesses in every situation in life. Just b/c MC is not going to be Queen does not mean she has not had the chance to prove that she is one. SHe just does not have those qualities that befits a queen. It is as simple as that.
Anyway it is so funny cuz in fashion and society magazine (Harper's, W, Town & Country, etc) they always refer to her as Marie-Chantal or Marie-Chantal of Greece. ANd sometimes they will cite her and her husband as Prince Pavlos of Greece and Marie-Chantal. I don't think I have ever seen any publication that cites her as Crown Princess of Greece. So I wonder what does she think of that.
You're right; just because Marie Chantal isn't a Crown Princess with a formal schedule the way Letizia, Mathilde, Maxima etc. do doesn't mean that she can't go out and do similar things whether they are for the people of Greece or London or wherever she is living.

As for the magazines, I'm sure Marie Chantal has a fit when she is not addressed as Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece. There is an infamous story of Marie Chantal ripping into a sales clerk at a store in New York City some years ago (when the family still lived there) for not addressing her properly. The sales clerk called her by her first name, Marie Chantal, rather than Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece. She complained to the manager and the sales clerk was resorted to tears and almost fired.

She has been known to snub stores and individuals who do not address her properly (according to her prefence).

Gosh that is so so so stupid. You've got money, fame, a prince...what more could you ask for? I thnk ppl who do that have self-confidence issues

Selene32607, there is no need to write your entire message in capitals and it's against the forum giudelines

Before posting, please consider the following:

1. Before starting a new thread, take a look ensure that there is not already a pre-existing thread discussing the same matter. Administrators and Moderators of RF have the right to delete or merge duplicate threads. If starting a new thread, please post a title that accurately reflects the contents and information within the thread so that members are not mislead.
  2. Do not post in caps. In message board language it is considered yelling, and as such, rude and offensive. If a thread title or post is typed in caps, it may be edited or deleted at a moderator's discretion.
  3. Please think about how you use font sizes and colors. It can easily be overdone, distracting and hard to read. Posts made in this manner may be edited or deleted at a moderator's discretion.
  4. Please do not post the same picture repeatedly in a thread. While we appreciate the sharing of images, it is not necessary to see the same image 6 times.
  5. If you are quoting another member's post and the post has a picture in it, please edit out the image before submitting your reply. Re-quoting an image takes up space on our server but can also be draining the bandwidth of a photoagency or web site from which the image has been taken.
you can find the forum guidelines and rules here:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3547
I also would like to ask you to be respectful of other members' opinions...

selene32607 said:
I DO NOT KNOW WHERE YOU GET YOUR FACTS - FROM THE COMIC MAGAZINES? DO NOT BE SO ASSERTIVE PLEASE -- NO - EVERYBODY DOES NOT LIKE THE CLOTHES HORSE AKA MARIE CHANTAL IN GREECE - AND I HAVE TONS OF RELATIVES AND FRIENDS IN THE OLD COUNTRY WHO DO NOT EVEN KNOW HER NAME! AS FOR GREECE BEING CORRUPT NOW AS OPPOSED TO WHEN THE MONARCHY WAS REIGNING YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I LIVED THERE DURING YOU SO-CALLED UNCORRUPT YEARS OF THE MONARCHY! THE INTERVENTION OF THE COURT IN RUNNING THE COUNTRY WAS COMING OUT OF OUR EARS! I REMEMBER AN INCIDENT -- THE THEN ARCHBISHOP OF GREECE ASKED THE LATE QUEEN FREDERIKA WHAT WAS AT THE TOP OF THE CROWN -- THERE IS A CROSS -- SO HE SAID THAT MEANS THE CROSS IS ABOVE THE CROWN SO DO NOT INTERFER IN THE MATTERS PERTAINING TO THE CHURCH. I CAN NOT VOUCH FOR THE VALIDITY OF THE INCIDENT BUT IT CIRCULATED IN GREECE AT THE TIME SO I RECKON THERE WAS SOME MERIT TO IT. AT ANY RATE GREECE AT THE PRESENT IS A FUNCTIONAL DEMOCRACY FOR THIS TO CHANGE SOMETHING CATASTROPHIC HAS TO HAPPEN. SO NOT PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET --
Everybody who has the status to buy the clothes ..He or She Buys it!Everybody who doesn't have the status,wants to buy it but because he /she can't afford it ...They don't like it!! There is a great some of people who can afford to buy MC clothes,indeed,but year after year they became fewer and fewer....Why??

Children grow, and FEWER new ones take their place....Albanians and Pakistanies prefer homeland baby products!!!

The parents of children get poorer everyday,so they buy lesser quantities of the above mentioned clothes...cheaper cars more accidents e.t.c
Maybe your Democracy is not that Functional as you say???

Maybe, Late Queen Frederika was wearing the cross on the top of Her Crown as you say,but She Loved and Pelieved in it! In which God your Fuctional democrasy pelieves???God,Allah,Yarabbee,jehovah,Dalahi lamah!!I tell you :In NO GOD!! THAT WILL BE YOUR DEMOCRACYS EPITAPH!!!PEOPLE WALK ON THE STREET AND THEY DONT KNOW WHY THEY WALKING AND THE SUM OF THIS KIND OF PEOPLE BECOMES BIGGER AND BIGGER EVERY YEAR!!

Who said that there was no corruption when Greece was a Kigdom!Of cource there was, but the persentage was small,almost neglectable...Army and Police was working,and people could aford to buy a house in two years or to have a house out of land percentage without any Bank getting involved!!!What your present functional demogracy does????Hugh??Which of us two doesn't know what he is talking about??Are you still "FERVENT"to what you say???

please, don't let this argument get out of hand...

Martine said:
Selene32607, there is no need to write your entire message in capitals and it's against the forum giudelines

Before posting, please consider the following:
  1. Before starting a new thread, take a look ensure that there is not already a pre-existing thread discussing the same matter. Administrators and Moderators of RF have the right to delete or merge duplicate threads. If starting a new thread, please post a title that accurately reflects the contents and information within the thread so that members are not mislead.
  2. Do not post in caps. In message board language it is considered yelling, and as such, rude and offensive. If a thread title or post is typed in caps, it may be edited or deleted at a moderator's discretion.
  3. Please think about how you use font sizes and colors. It can easily be overdone, distracting and hard to read. Posts made in this manner may be edited or deleted at a moderator's discretion.
  4. Please do not post the same picture repeatedly in a thread. While we appreciate the sharing of images, it is not necessary to see the same image 6 times.
  5. If you are quoting another member's post and the post has a picture in it, please edit out the image before submitting your reply. Re-quoting an image takes up space on our server but can also be draining the bandwidth of a photoagency or web site from which the image has been taken.
you can find the forum guidelines and rules here:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3547
I also would like to ask you to be respectful of other members' opinions...

Yes, Yes, She is wrong wip her to death!!!!Now!!!Now!!!Aaaah!She also has elusions!She sees unfuctional things fuctional

This thread is now closed as members are now "yelling" to make their points and disregardring a very polite warning by a moderator here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom