The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Aristocracy

Changing a bit of the topic here...so are any of Pavlos's children Crown Prince? Or does that end with him. It does seem a bit odd to continue the "crown" when there really isn't one anymore.

Overall I have always found the Greek Royals sort of tragic. A King without a Kingdom just seems sad. Especially when they are related DIRECTLY to two other reigning houses. I know, at least with my limited knowledge of Greek history that it is sort of the King's fault...but still. Tragic.

Old 09-17-2004, 06:53 AM
Aristocracy

The only Tragic in what you are saying is your excistance,and the tragic way you express your tragelaphic views,in a real tragelaphus....!!!

Zolotas

Old 09-17-2004, 11:12 AM
Aristocracy

WOW...I don't think I deserved someone questioning my existance!
Old 09-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Gentry

Meg, cuervo tends to be emotional when he sees an attack on the king; he's a fervent royalist. Not that that excuses it, but that's just him.

Cuervo, play nice!
Old 09-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Aristocracy

I always play nice,the nicest I can!Nothing is "tragic" with my King!He wanted to protect Greek people of a masacre and His degnity and the only way was to live the country!! "Tragic"is a pathetic situation,and my King is ages of light far from that! He would have been "tragic"if He would have stayed in Greece and see Greek people turning Greece into a Serajevo!!

As He said on the msn press ,he never had in mind in what situation He was in,but He was thinking that greek people will go backwards,instead of progressing and ...I believed every word he said....Because:

When His property was confiscated, by some "enlightened Bandidcrats",I saw and heard Him- in a Video conferance to Greek journalists-among others -He said ,that he tried his best to save His Property,and although He had the best Lawyer platform He couldn't,but what happens if a Greek faces the same situation and has no Lawyer platform at all??He wondered !!
It was the same time that European court, judged the sum of conpensation.A few months later I 've red in the press that the value of the land in Greece devaluated 20 something per cent-but that is another story-
WHAT MATTERS FOR ME AND TO PEOPLE LIKE ME,IS THAT THE VERY DAY THAT HIS OWN PROPERTY WAS TAKEN FROM HIM,A PROPERTY THAT BELONGED TO HIM AND HIS FAMILY FOR MORE THAN A CENTURY....HE WAS THINKING OF WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO A SIMPLE GREEK IF THE BANDIDCRATS WILL TAKE HIS PROPERTY,AND HE HASN'T THE LAWYER PLATFORM TO DEFEND HIMSELF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking that for DAYS!!! That is what makes Him H.R.M The King Of Greece and Greeks!Actually the three capital letters arround the dots before the King....HIS ROYAL MAJESTY ...H AYTOY ΒΑΣΙΛΙΚΗ MEΓAΛEIOTHΣ!

Automatically,the word "tragic" is transfered to Bandidcrats-Greeks and Europeans -and through them to the "tragic" conditions,that the simple Greek is living into the the land of "tragedy"the last 37 years!...

As you see my dear Meg and reina missy,i am a royalist not fervent(where did you find this word?)not fanatic,NOT emotional...I just saw that ludicus people that they even would't give a drop of water to their Angel's protector when he is thirsty, by using various tricks have commited a crime against The King of Hellenes and His family and still there are people who say words against Him(even in this forum) instead of arresting the Bandicrats and stick them on a stick like Vlad Chepes did in Romania long ago!!

So, how can I play nice,if i see people paying no respect for Him??

(Zolotas)
Old 09-17-2004, 08:48 PM
Gentry

Cuervo, there's nothing wrong with being insulted by things like you mentioned, but there IS such a thing as 'Netiquette. Don't you think you're being a little harsh? When someone attacks the king in your opinion, you can disparage the post without disparaging the person
Old 09-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Please be respectful of each other's opinions, regardless of how one feels about the royal family, individual members or the like.

Questioning someone's existence because they do not agree with your opinon is uncalled for and a violation of the forum rules.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Adminsitrator
Old 09-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Aristocracy

I appologise!

(Zolotas 100)
Old 09-25-2004, 03:32 PM
bluetortuga

I thought they were pointless too. The greeks don't miss them. And it looks like the monarchy will never be restored there. They just might as well be prepared to live the rest of their lives as exiles. Or get real and realize that there is no throne to return to.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetortuga
I thought they were pointless too. The greeks don't miss them. And it looks like the monarchy will never be restored there. They just might as well be prepared to live the rest of their lives as exiles. Or get real and realize that there is no throne to return to.
I agree with you completely. Greece doesn't seem to be lacking without any royal representatives abroad.

I wonder if anyone in the family really believes that there is even an iota of a chance of the family being returned to rule?

I wonder if King Constantine thinks that each of his small victories such as having his land returned to him, he and his family being allowed back into Greece for regular visits, etc. means that he is one step closer to being King again?

I think that if (an if with a capital 'I') the family were ever to return to rule there would be some definite stipulations and ground rules established, namely that the family would be soley a symbolic function within the country. I doubt that the King would be allowed to be part of any political duties, even something as simple and neutral as opening parliament. (Not even speeches like the one Carl Gustaf makes each opening session.) And while most monarchs are head of the military in some way, I don't think Constantine would be allowed that role considering it was a military coup that over threw him.

I don't see much for this family if they were to return to ruling. I don't see either, for their own sake, why they would want to. They all have titles and the social status of royalty without any of the hard work.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:13 AM
Gentry

Well, the reality is that though most people agree with the two of you, many do not.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Aristocracy

I am still wondering about my origonal question...will Pavlos every be styled King? At some point will one of his kids become Crown Prince. (before I get yelled at) I am just asking because at this moment, with no monarchy, there really isn't a crown...so I am just curious as to what will happen.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Courtier

I would think that MC would call herself or wants other ppl to call her Queen MC of Greece and King Pavlos' of Greece after King Constaine dies....
Old 09-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Gentry

That's not only highly unlikely, bigshrimp, it's really not possible.

The Greek RF is not the only mediatized ruling family; no other family that is still royal allows the family head to suddenly assume the title of "majesty" upon the death of the previous head of the family.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:50 AM
Royal Highness

Ummm, all I can say is WOW!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinaMissy
The Greek RF is not the only mediatized ruling family; no other family that is still royal allows the family head to suddenly assume the title of "majesty" upon the death of the previous head of the family.
So the answer is no then? Unless the Greek monarchy is restored...they will forever be Prince and Princesses?
Old 09-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Gentry

Yup, just like every other no-longer-ruling family. The German Royals are a good example of that (not that I'm an expert, lol).
Old 09-29-2004, 06:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinaMissy
That's not only highly unlikely, bigshrimp, it's really not possible.

Hi ReinaMissy,

Just to clarify, neither Greece or its former RF was ever mediatized. In a nutshell, the term mediatized applies to former states within the Holy Roman Empire who came under suzerians after the Napoleanic wars. The rulers of the mediatized states no longer under the 'immediate' authority' of the Emperor, and now owed allegiance to a suzerian. In Greece, the RF was exiled and the monarchy was subsequently abolished. Chances of restoration are not likely.

The title of the Prince, Princess, and styles of HRH, etc. used by members of former royal houses are all of pretension. In the case of Greece, the country is a republic and does not recognize the titles and styles used by members of the former RF. They have no legal validity. Technically Pavlos can call himself whatever he wants, but he will look foolish styling himself King, as the world knows that Greek is a republic, and that it is doing far better than it ever did under the troubled (to say the least) monarchy. Anyone who knows Greek history knows that the monarchy had a very turbulent history (I know Cuervo and some others might disagree, but I'm entitled to my piece just like they are to theirs :)).

As I've written before, unlike under the monarchy, Greece is now a democracy now (a real one). People are free to form political parties, associational groups, lobby/pressure groups, and even run for political office. The last time I personally checked there were at least ten parties, even Communist and Marxist ones (there were troubles with Communists in the postwar era). Conversely, under the monarchy dictatorships flourished. For instance, there was Constantine I's sympathies with the central powers, his and this refusal to recognize the democratically elected government of the pro-entente Venizelos, his dissolving the legitimate government of the country, his continued power struggle with Venizelos to the detriment of the country, the terror camapaign launched on his behalf by General Mexatas, and the Bulgarians grabbing of Greek territory due to Constantine's waffling. Then there was the referendum on the monarchy in 1935, which was marked by fraud, and George II's subsequent appointment of his facist, repressive friend General Mexatas as Prime Minister -- a man who suspended the Human Rights clauses in the country's constitution and engaged in ethnic cleansing. After this there was the dictatorship of Themistoklis Sophoulis aka the "era of white terror". In the post war period there was the repressive government of Konstantinos Tsaldaris, which saw tens of thousands of Greeks placed in concentration camps. His 1946 plebescite on the monarchy, which saw the return of George II, too was marred by fraud, intimidation, and coercion. And that's just until 1946! :))

TC.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Aristocracy

Wink Reading your views

doesn't mean that I agree with them!I desperately need an eye cleaner after your post!
Old 09-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Please have respect for all views. That is fine that you don't agree with some of the views expressed here but that is no right or need to be rude about it, either.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator