Titles, Surname and Protocols for the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, that would be very interesting to know?
This might be the answer to why the Greek Royal family has a special status in Denmark.

How so? You mean besides being relatives of the reigning royal family or there is something more to it??

Yes the children of Queen Anne Marie and King Constantine are all princes or princesses of Denmark and they have danish passports.

And please don't ask me for sources on the latter statement. It is childhood knowledege. I have grown up with that - just like the knowledge that in Denmark Queen Anne Marie and King Konstantine are titled King and Queen not with the "ex" in front.

Yes the children of Queen Anne Marie and King Constantine are all princes or princesses of Denmark and they have danish passports.

And please don't ask me for sources on the latter statement. It is childhood knowledege. I have grown up with that - just like the knowledge that in Denmark Queen Anne Marie and King Konstantine are titled King and Queen not with the "ex" in front.

Greek royals being princes/cesses of Greece and Denmark has nothing to do with Anne-Marie. When she married Constantine she renounced her place in line to the Danish throne, for herself and her future children. The 'Greece and Denmark' comes from Prince Vilhelm of Denmark who became King George I of Greece. The Greek throne being an unstable one he insisted that his descendents keep the 'princes of Denmark' in their title. And all have since, in 1953 with the changes to the succession in Denmark it became limited to the descendents of King Christian X so the Greek line no longer has succession rights. In Danish one is 'af Denmark' the other is 'til Denmark'. Can't remember which is the with succession rights.

The Greek royals now have Danish passports because the Greek government in the early 1990's took away their Greek ones, saying they need to have a surname. That's when Queen Margrethe gave them all Danish diplomatic passports.

Thanks Charlotte1 for the explanation:flowers:

In Danish one is 'af Denmark' the other is 'til Denmark'. Can't remember which is the with succession rights.

Those with succession rights are styled "til Danmark"!

Viv

I have read that the tradition monarchist says:

the descendants in first degree are the official princes
But the grandsons of King can not be appointed official prince while his father is not named King, then automatically have the title of Principes

They can not be appointed principes while his father does not occupy the position of the grandfather.

For example:
The children of prince Pavlo are not princes, they will be princes when el Prince pavlo will occupy the position of the grandfather.

you can say that they are princes, but they are not officials princes, they will be prince official when his father will occupy possition of King Constantine

Prince michael and family

The king Constantine has a passport danish, in passport his surname is "Greece", but it is not valid in Greece.In Greece he has a "status" of foreigner, but he is a foreigner european.
The Venicilenos law removed the passport to Constantine and his family and it established several conditions, the one condition is that Constantine and his family will change their surname "Greece"
I ask:
What is passport the prince Michael?
what is his surname? Is it Greece?
He has always been able to travel freely to Greece and has a house in Patmos, this means that he has another surname other than Greece.

The king Constantine has a passport danish, in passport his surname is "Greece", but it is not valid in Greece.

The last thing I saw was that the family is using the name "de Grecia",
which is sort of a Latinized form of "of Greece".
Beltraneja, is that the surname the Greek authorities won't accept?

Also, the family have Danish diplomatic passports! That is, they
have a nominal citizenship of Denmark but they do not have full
citizen rights.

I wonder why they haven't applied for full citizenship of i.e.
the UK, Denmark or Spain. Are they still hoping against hope?
IMO a Greek citizenship is too delicate a matter for the time
being!

Their case is unique in Europe.
Denmark is a state that is part of the organization "European Union".
The objective of the European Union is to create a Europe where citizens are moving freely through their territory and they all have the same currency, the euro (Although Denmark has not accepted the euro in other countries, France, Spain, Italy, Greece it is the currency).Any European citizen can travel through EU territory without a passport and the members states can not prohibit their entry into country.
In addition, when a citizen with a European passport travel to a non-European state, if the citizen has problems in that state, he may ask to help to the embassy of his country and if his country has no embassy, he may ask to help to the embassy of a country of the EU.
For example:
IF a person with European passport LOSEs his PASSPORT into of no-european state.
if the person stolen his MONEY AND CAN NOT GO BACK TO his COUNTRY
IF THIS COUNTRY(non-european)begin a WAR AND the person can not leave the this country,he may ask to help to a embassy of a member state and he CAN BE evacuate with the citizens of that country.
Constantine and Anne Marie have diplomatic protection of Denmark and Denmark is member of EU....
But I wonder:
If CONSTANTINE travel to a country and that country LOG IN WAR AND CLOSES THE AIR TRAFFIC AND he HAVE TO ASK TO HELP to AN EMBASSY TO LEAVE of this COUNTRY, AND only Greece is europen country with embassy in this country. Could Constantine ask to help to Greece?
It is not probable, but it demonstrates that the kings are a unique case in europe
I wonder why they haven't applied for full citizenship of i.e.
the UK, Denmark or Spain. Are they still hoping against hope?
IMO a Greek citizenship is too delicate a matter for the time
being!
I think that the kings haven´t lost hope of recovering their citizenship of Greece.
Only, if the "law Venicilenos" of 1994 would be to repealed, they could recover
AUTOMATICALLY their citizenship of Greece but if they are danish citizenship it would be very complicated to recover.

Last edited by a moderator:
according to the the conference of vienna i beilieve it was in 1814 from that point on if a reigning house were to loose its throne they would still be royal

according to the the conference of vienna i beilieve it was in 1814 from that point on if a reigning house were to loose its throne they would still be royal
Congress of Vienna, 1815. It related to the reorganisation of the Holy Roman Empire (Germany and Austria) and the reduction in the number of reigning sovereign princes who owed direct loyalty to the Emperor. Families who ruled over those states which were incorporated into larger states and thus lost their sovereign rights are referred to as the Mediatised Houses. They were counted amongst the higher nobility with the right of equality with the reigning houses (Ebenbürtigkeit). As an example, the sovereign principality of Fürstenberg was incorporated into the Kingdom of Württemberg.

None of this is applicable to the Kingdom of Greece (which came into being in 1830) or the Royal House of Greece.

Last edited:
I wonder if King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie still receive Royal privelages when travelling internationally, and do they still have diplomatic immunity?

This may not be the correct place for this question, but I didn't see any threads that were more appropriate and it didn't seem to deserve a thread of its own - mods feel free to move this. :flowers:

Anyway, does anyone know if Annemarie/Anna Maria usually uses her full name, or does she go by something shorter, especially with her family? 4 syllables just seems so long.

I believe that all the Greek Royals (except Carlos and his children) have Diplomatic passports from Denmark. Not sure how or why that is but it does give them some sort of immunity.

:previous:

I've never heard anyone refer to Anne-Marie as anything but Anne-Marie. If she has a shortened name, I've never heard it.

Why members of the Greek Royal Family were Princes/Princesses of Greece and Denmark?

Hello! I would like to know why the title of the Princes and Princesses of the Greek Royal House is "of Greece and Denmark".

I know that the first King of the dynasty was a Danish Prince, but in Spain, for example, the Princes aren't "of Spain and France".

Other question, what is a "Dagmar Princess"? A Danish Princess?

Regards!

There was a Princess Dagmar of Denmark and Iceland. She was godmother to Queen Anne-Marie of Greece. I believe the greece and Denmark Is because Anne-marie is still a princess of Denmark. A reigning monarchy. :flowers:

There was a Princess Dagmar of Denmark and Iceland. She was godmother to Queen Anne-Marie of Greece. I believe the greece and Denmark Is because Anne-marie is still a princess of Denmark. A reigning monarchy. :flowers:

But I have heard that Queen Sofia of Spain was Princess of Greece and Denmark too...

The members of the Greek Royal Family (except for the daughters of Prince Michael, whose marriage is morgsnatic and lost his Danish title and rights) are also Princes of Denmark since the first King of Greece, George, was born Prince of Denmark, and never renounced to his rights to the Danish Throne and Titles.
BTW, they are not in the Line of Succession to the Danish Throne since 1953, when the Line of Succession was limited to the descendants of King Christian X.

:previous:
Your quite right being Constantine sister and daughter of Frederika of Hanover and Paul of Greece. The only thing I can think of is the joining of the Greek and Danish royal families a while back. So they share the house Schleswig-Holstein-sonderburg-glucksburg???:flowers:

But yes MAfan your right with the title and succesion rights. I just looked it up. You beat me too it. :D

Another reason because of the general instability of the Greek monarchy, called the "crown of thorns." When Prince Vilhelm ascended the Greek throne as George I, no one was sure how long this dynasty would last. As a precaution, George and his descendants were allowed to keep their titles "prince/princess of Denmark" in the event they were exiled (which happened several times in the 20th century), they could have citizenship.

Hello! I would like to know why the title of the Princes and Princesses of the Greek Royal House is "of Greece and Denmark".

I know that the first King of the dynasty was a Danish Prince, but in Spain, for example, the Princes aren't "of Spain and France".

Regards!

DAGMAR
Dagmar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

prince(ss) of greece and denmark

hello.
to my understanding this denotes those who are genealogically part of the danish royal house via "male descent" from christian IX, king of denmark.
so as prince william, a younger son of the adove king , was elected the king of greece, as king george I, his descendants are thus sytled as prince (ss) of greece and DENMARK..........:flowers:

I think:
In countries like Denmark and Holland, who are on the line of succession have title of Prince, but this title only indicates that they are in the line of succession, for example Duke of Edinburgh

espejor said:

The members of the Greek Royal Family hold the title of Prince and Princess of Denmark with the qualification of His and Her Royal Highness because they are male-line descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark (though King George I of Greece, who was King Christian’s son).
King George's dynastic male-line descendants remain in Denmark's line of hereditary succession and are considered members of the Danish Royal Family.

The Spanish succession laws are different to those of Denmark.

Dagmar is (or rather was) a popular Danish female name. "Princess Dagmar' may refer to two Danish Princesses with the name:
1. Princess Dagmar of Denmark, the youngest child of King Frederick VIII of Denmark or Princess Louise of Sweden or Norway
2. Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia, the second daughter of King Christian IX of Denmark and Louise of Hesse-Cassel. Although she was in fact born Princess Marie Sophie Fredrica, once her father became Heir to the Throne of Denmark, she was known as Dagmar (frederikke Dagmar) of Denmark and married Tsesarevich Alexander under that name.

I think:
In countries like Denmark and Holland, who are on the line of succession have title of Prince, but this title only indicates that they are in the line of succession, for example Duke of Edinburgh

well, as mafan has mentioned adove, in 1953 the laws of succession to the danish throne was altered. only the descendants of king christian X now has the right to succeed. also those who have the right to succeed is styled prince (ss) TO denmark and not of denmark !!

by the way the duke of edinburgh had renounced his styles and titles of greece and denmark back in 1947, thus his four children has never been or have the right to be prince (ss) of greece and denmark even tough they are male line descendants of old king christian IX...........:flowers:

Last edited:
excuseme!! it is true, he was Prince Greece and Denmark but in 1947 he renounced to it.

hello.
to my understanding this denotes those who are genealogically part of the danish royal house via "male descent" from christian IX, king of denmark.
so as prince william, a younger son of the adove king , was elected the king of greece, as king george I, his descendants are thus sytled as prince (ss) of greece and DENMARK..........:flowers:

I agree, they are the decendent of Christian IX of Denmark:previous:

With the exception of Anne-Marie, who was born a Princess of Denmark, the members of the Greek Royal Family are only entitled to use the style "Prince/Princess of Greece and Denmark" as descendants of Prince Vilhelm (George I of the Hellenes). They are not entitled to use the style "to Denmark" alone under the 1953 Danish law.

Their rank of HRH is by virtue of the Greek Royal House, not Denmark, and its laws.

The Shields of arms of the European royal houses provide much data on the lineage and the title of the Royal Houses.
This could explain the topic that we are discussing. I do not know the heraldry, but if someone can help me...

Royal family of Greece

Imageshack - escudekingpavlo
Imageshack - constgreek

Duke of Edinburgh

Imageshack - dukeedimburgo

the Royal House of Denmark

http://img268.imageshack.us/my.php?image=danishz.jpg

The first two Shields of arms are of the Greek Royal Family.
The second is of the Duke of Edinburgh, husband of Queen Elizabeth, in a small squared has a white cross and blue colour, this means they come from the Royal House Greece.

The third is the Royal house of Denmark.

The common element of all three, are men who are on the sides ... This indicates the origin of the lineage is of the Danish Royal House.

Does anyone know if this has to do with King Christian of Denmark?

I think , that the two men indicate origin of Danish ancestry and the title of Prince of Denmark, in the sense that they are direct descendants of the Danish Royal Family, while the presence of one indicates the origin of Danish descent but not the title, Duke of Edinburgh's case, he relinquished his title.

Excuse, I call this "Shields of arms" , but I do not know how it in English.

Back
Top Bottom