Titles, Surname and Protocols for the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do get that. and also that they need to use their titles, because it's really their only bargaining chip these days. All I meant was "we never had a surname" is no excuse that would stand up at any court

This is ever so true.
And the answer is "go get one".

Who is the man to say to one that was Leader of his Country, and won a old Medal to the Olympics for Greece, that he is not a Greek anymore and go and get a name?

Last edited by a moderator:
He was a leader of his country, and they kicked him out. Yes he should have the right to be Greek, to live in his country etc, but at the time this all occured I don't think Greece liked the royal family.

Constantine doesn't have a surname, and he shouldn't of gone and got one, just because somone said he needed it to be Greek.

With all due respect, the Constitution of the Hellenes is not someone and all citizens of Greece are mandated to abide by it, period. Now, whether King Constantine has or does not have a surname is his problem and concern and none of mine, Greece's or anybody else's.

roimat and lumuqueen, i don't understand you. all of our olympic champions and leaders, prime ministers or presidents of democracy, have or had a surname. if constantine doesn't adopt one, it's normal in the future that he will face some difficulties. an example is that he can't have a greek passport. it's his choice then, so simple.

Constantine shouldn't adopt a surname when he's being forced to, so he faces difficulties, he's managed so far.

Will the children of Prince Nikolaos and Princess Tatiana also be HRH Prince/ss .... of Greece and Denmark?

Does anyone know what Tatiana's title will be after she marries her prince? Is she Princess Tatiana, Tatiana, Princess of Greece, Princess Nikolaos of Greece, Tatana, Princess Nikolaos of Greece?

probably princess nikolaos of greece and denmark.
M-C goes by the name of CPss Pavlod of Greece and Denmark, asn as a historical example prince philip's mother also was called princess andrew, although she was born a princess of battenberg, so it doesn't have anything to do with being a born royal or not, that's just how they roll. :)

I hope there will be an other look onto the Royal Family by the Greek Government. The wedding was good for the tourism and the current situation in Greece. Constantine was always loyal to his homeland!
The Greek Government has to give back something to him and his family.

Tatiana is not a princess even after she married prince Nikolaos?

She is Princess Nikolaos of Greece

But Margrethe II can say who is a Prince or Princess of Denmark or is not. And in Denmark, I believe, Tatiana is officially styled as HRH Princess Nikolaos with full protocol.

Did Michael of Kents represent the Windsors at the wedding, or any higher British royals were attended?

Tatiana is not a princess even after she married prince Nikolaos?
Tatiana is not a princess of Greece and Denmark on her own, but by the right of her husband, who is a prince of Greece and Denmark by birth. As such, she i styled Princess Nikolaos and not Princess Tatiana (like in the case of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent).

Will the children of Prince Nikolaos and Princess Tatiana also be HRH Prince/ss .... of Greece and Denmark?
They should bear the titles of Princes and Princesses of Greece and Denmark with the style of Royal Highness, as their marriage was officially approved by the King.

roimat and lumuqueen, i don't understand you. all of our olympic champions and leaders, prime ministers or presidents of democracy, have or had a surname. if constantine doesn't adopt one, it's normal in the future that he will face some difficulties. an example is that he can't have a greek passport. it's his choice then, so simple.
i didn't say he must not have one. I said that no one can say he is not Greek, and to be Greek, he must get a surname. It's simple.

They should bear the titles of Princes and Princesses of Greece and Denmark with the style of Royal Highness, as their marriage was officially approved by the King.

None Greek prince after 1960 i think, is called "and Denmark", due a change of the Succession Law in Denmark. Not even Constantine's children.

They gave him 4 billion drachmas, didn't they!?

Nobody "gave him" nothing. The Greek State violated King's Constantine Human rights, by taking his house and belongings, and the European Court punished the Greek Government. That's the truth, like it or not...

But Margrethe II can say who is a Prince or Princess of Denmark or is not. And in Denmark, I believe, Tatiana is officially styled as HRH Princess Nikolaos with full protocol.

Did Michael of Kents represent the Windsors at the wedding, or any higher British royals were attended?

The succession law of Denmark has change since 1960, and no other princes than the Danish one, can have the style Princess of Denmark.
As for "Princess Nikolaos" style, i don't think it's going to be used...

The succession law of Denmark has change since 1960, and no other princes than the Danish one, can have the style Princess of Denmark.
As for "Princess Nikolaos" style, i don't think it's going to be used...

Prince Michael of Kent, his wife and daughter were the only Britons to attend the wedding. He flight on an Easyjet-60 euros-flight and a spokesman said that he attented the wedding as a friend and not as a representative of the British royal Family..!

None Greek prince after 1960 i think, is called "and Denmark", due a change of the Succession Law in Denmark. Not even Constantine's children.

Prince Pavlos, Crown Prince of Greece, Prince of Denmark
Marie-Chantal, Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece, Princess of Denmark
- HRH Princess Maria-Olympia of Greece and Denmark
- HRH Prince Konstantinos-Alexios of Greece and Denmark
- HRH Prince Achileas-Andreas of Greece and Denmark
- HRH Prince Odysseas-Kimon of Greece and Denmark
- HRH Prince Aristides Stavros of Greece and Denmark

Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark
Prince Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark
Princess Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark neé Tatiana Blatnik
Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark
Prince Philippos of Greece and Denmark

They all have the and Denmark, and so will Nikolaos children.

Tatiana is Princess Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark, just like all her in-laws and her husband is.

My take is that "Prince of Denmark" is a legal title for some members of the Danish Royal House while "Prince of Greece and Denmark" is a family title granted to members of the formerly reigning Royal House of Greece.

This distinction can be compared to the title of "Prince of Great Britain and Ireland" which is used by the House of Hanover to this day although it has no legal standing (or meaning) in Great Britain. Both "Prince of Greece and Denmark" and "Prince of Great Britain and Ireland" are just traditional titles of two Royal Houses.

Another example: going back even further it's arguable whether the Dutch Royal House has a "right" to the title of "Prince of Orange" as this principality, originally a fief in the Holy Roman Empire, was inherited by the Hohenzollerns of Prussia.

Both "Prince of Greece and Denmark" and "Prince of Great Britain and Ireland" are just traditional titles of two Royal Houses.
Well, if it's true, then how it is possible that the Greek princes and princesses use Danish diplomatic passports in which they are officially styled as Princes and Princess of Greece and Denmark? So?
I think that Danish princely titles are not limited to children and grandchildren of a sovereign, like it is in the UK for example, but it is legally inherited in male-line (if the marriage is dynastic, approved by the Sovereign), and dynastic members of the Royal House are Princes and Princesses of Denmark (the Greek Royal House is a branch of the Danish Royal House, so...). For example, Prince Georg Valdemar Carl Axel of Denmark and Iceland, who died in 1986, was a great-grandson of Christian IX.

Well, if it's true, then how it is possible that the Greek princes and princesses use Danish diplomatic passports in which they are officially styled as Princes and Princess of Greece and Denmark?
Yes, the Danish authorities allow members of the Royal House of Greece to use their royal titles in official documents. Why would they not?
They have Danish diplomatic passports because Queen Margrethe wished it so and the government did not disagree.

:previous:The passport of the wife of Prince Michael is Monaco, I read an interview of her in a Spanish magazine, for an exhibition she was presenting in Spain and she said be the sculptor of Monaco .

I think you are mixing Marina Karella the wife of Prince Michel de Grece, who is a peintre and, and Mrs Sofia Vari the wife of Fernando Botero, who is sculptor, and lives in Monaco.

I'm quite persuated that Marina Karella has still the greek nationally, because in Greece you are not allowed to deny your nationality.
Of course she might use another passeport that Greek, but she remains a Greek citizen.

Tatiana is Princess Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark, just like all her in-laws and her husband is.
My dear, you say they are! I explained that the succession Law of Denmark has changed.

Succesion to the Danish Throne has nothing to do with how they are styled.

I think you are mixing Marina Karella the wife of Prince Michel de Grece, who is a peintre and, and Mrs Sofia Vari the wife of Fernando Botero, who is sculptor, and lives in Monaco.

I'm quite persuated that Marina Karella has still the greek nationally, because in Greece you are not allowed to deny your nationality.
Of course she might use another passeport that Greek, but she remains a Greek citizen.

Just in time. Yesterday i checked it, and of course Marina Karella has the Greek nationality, why she shouldn't? Even her husband and daughter Olga are Greek citizens, under the surname De Grece, in Greek letters ;-)

Succesion to the Danish Throne has nothing to do with how they are styled.

Ok, i'm a royal journalist but probably you know more than i know...Of course the Succession low has to do with it! Can i be styled Prince of Denmark?Not even in the Greek Royal Family's webpage are they styled that way....but ok...you know better....

Just in time. Yesterday i checked it, and of course Marina Karella has the Greek nationality, why she shouldn't? Even her husband and daughter Olga are Greek citizens, under the surname De Grece, in Greek letters ;-)

Why do they are allowed to use "de Grece" as a surname while King Konstantinos and his family aren't?

They use it in Greek Letters. "Ντε Γκρες". It's not translated in Greece, it is pronounced as you read it. And only Prince Michel and his daughter Olga. And of course, without the title infront of the names. Marina Karella is as Marina Karella.
I can only suppose that King Constantine has done something similar, but they haven't make it clear yet.

And also i believe that Michel De Grece is a hole different situation form the members of the rest Royal Family. He was the only member to renounce his rights to the Throne, and lived as a private citizen. He didn't even left Greece with the RF in 1967, but stayed there, and only after the 1974 referendum made Paris his permanent home. And he was the only who could enter and exit Greece when ever he wanted all these 35 years.

And also i believe that Michel De Grece is a hole different situation form the members of the rest Royal Family. He was the only member to renounce his rights to the Throne, and lived as a private citizen. He didn't even left Greece with the RF in 1967, but stayed there, and only after the 1974 referendum made Paris his permanent home. And he was the only who could enter and exit Greece when ever he wanted all these 35 years.

But in this case, he should be using his name as before??? What was written in his passeport in 1960? and 1965? Nobody obliged him to leave, so he should have kept his passeport as before.

But in this case, he should be using his name as before??? What was written in his passeport in 1960? and 1965? Nobody obliged him to leave, so he should have kept his passeport as before.

I suppose that he already had a French passport, as he had lived for many years in France. I also suppose that if he had a Greek passport that times, his passport would write "Prince Michael of Greece", in Greek of course. But the passports of the members of the Greek Royal Family have been sized by the Sosialist Government of 1994. I found that he is listed at the voters catalogues as the way i told you before...

They use it in Greek Letters. "Ντε Γκρες". It's not translated in Greece, it is pronounced as you read it. And only Prince Michel and his daughter Olga. And of course, without the title infront of the names. Marina Karella is as Marina Karella.
I can only suppose that King Constantine has done something similar, but they haven't make it clear yet.

So, as far as I understand, "Ντε Γκρες" is meaningless in Greek language, it isn't a Greek word and neither the name of a place, so they can use it as a surname; while the King wants to use as a surname the Greek words meaning "of Greece" (that actually is the English version of the French "de Grece").

Back
Top Bottom