The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutboo View Post
according to the the conference of vienna i beilieve it was in 1814 from that point on if a reigning house were to loose its throne they would still be royal
Congress of Vienna, 1815. It related to the reorganisation of the Holy Roman Empire (Germany and Austria) and the reduction in the number of reigning sovereign princes who owed direct loyalty to the Emperor. Families who ruled over those states which were incorporated into larger states and thus lost their sovereign rights are referred to as the Mediatised Houses. They were counted amongst the higher nobility with the right of equality with the reigning houses (Ebenbürtigkeit). As an example, the sovereign principality of Fürstenberg was incorporated into the Kingdom of Württemberg.

None of this is applicable to the Kingdom of Greece (which came into being in 1830) or the Royal House of Greece.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:44 PM

I wonder if King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie still receive Royal privelages when travelling internationally, and do they still have diplomatic immunity?

God Save The Queen!

Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Courtier

This may not be the correct place for this question, but I didn't see any threads that were more appropriate and it didn't seem to deserve a thread of its own - mods feel free to move this.

Anyway, does anyone know if Annemarie/Anna Maria usually uses her full name, or does she go by something shorter, especially with her family? 4 syllables just seems so long.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:42 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

I believe that all the Greek Royals (except Carlos and his children) have Diplomatic passports from Denmark. Not sure how or why that is but it does give them some sort of immunity.

I've never heard anyone refer to Anne-Marie as anything but Anne-Marie. If she has a shortened name, I've never heard it.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Aristocracy

Why members of the Greek Royal Family were Princes/Princesses of Greece and Denmark?

Hello! I would like to know why the title of the Princes and Princesses of the Greek Royal House is "of Greece and Denmark".

I know that the first King of the dynasty was a Danish Prince, but in Spain, for example, the Princes aren't "of Spain and France".

Other question, what is a "Dagmar Princess"? A Danish Princess?

Regards!
Old 06-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There was a Princess Dagmar of Denmark and Iceland. She was godmother to Queen Anne-Marie of Greece. I believe the greece and Denmark Is because Anne-marie is still a princess of Denmark. A reigning monarchy.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
There was a Princess Dagmar of Denmark and Iceland. She was godmother to Queen Anne-Marie of Greece. I believe the greece and Denmark Is because Anne-marie is still a princess of Denmark. A reigning monarchy.
But I have heard that Queen Sofia of Spain was Princess of Greece and Denmark too...
Old 06-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The members of the Greek Royal Family (except for the daughters of Prince Michael, whose marriage is morgsnatic and lost his Danish title and rights) are also Princes of Denmark since the first King of Greece, George, was born Prince of Denmark, and never renounced to his rights to the Danish Throne and Titles.
BTW, they are not in the Line of Succession to the Danish Throne since 1953, when the Line of Succession was limited to the descendants of King Christian X.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Your quite right being Constantine sister and daughter of Frederika of Hanover and Paul of Greece. The only thing I can think of is the joining of the Greek and Danish royal families a while back. So they share the house Schleswig-Holstein-sonderburg-glucksburg???

But yes MAfan your right with the title and succesion rights. I just looked it up. You beat me too it.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Serene Highness

Another reason because of the general instability of the Greek monarchy, called the "crown of thorns." When Prince Vilhelm ascended the Greek throne as George I, no one was sure how long this dynasty would last. As a precaution, George and his descendants were allowed to keep their titles "prince/princess of Denmark" in the event they were exiled (which happened several times in the 20th century), they could have citizenship.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Hello! I would like to know why the title of the Princes and Princesses of the Greek Royal House is "of Greece and Denmark".

I know that the first King of the dynasty was a Danish Prince, but in Spain, for example, the Princes aren't "of Spain and France".

Regards!
DAGMAR
Dagmar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Nobility

prince(ss) of greece and denmark

hello.
to my understanding this denotes those who are genealogically part of the danish royal house via "male descent" from christian IX, king of denmark.
so as prince william, a younger son of the adove king , was elected the king of greece, as king george I, his descendants are thus sytled as prince (ss) of greece and DENMARK..........
Old 06-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Serene Highness

I think:
In countries like Denmark and Holland, who are on the line of succession have title of Prince, but this title only indicates that they are in the line of succession, for example Duke of Edinburgh
Old 06-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by espejor

The members of the Greek Royal Family hold the title of Prince and Princess of Denmark with the qualification of His and Her Royal Highness because they are male-line descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark (though King George I of Greece, who was King Christian’s son).
King George's dynastic male-line descendants remain in Denmark's line of hereditary succession and are considered members of the Danish Royal Family.

The Spanish succession laws are different to those of Denmark.

Quote:
Dagmar is (or rather was) a popular Danish female name. "Princess Dagmar' may refer to two Danish Princesses with the name:
1. Princess Dagmar of Denmark, the youngest child of King Frederick VIII of Denmark or Princess Louise of Sweden or Norway
2. Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia, the second daughter of King Christian IX of Denmark and Louise of Hesse-Cassel. Although she was in fact born Princess Marie Sophie Fredrica, once her father became Heir to the Throne of Denmark, she was known as Dagmar (frederikke Dagmar) of Denmark and married Tsesarevich Alexander under that name.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELTRANEJA View Post
I think:
In countries like Denmark and Holland, who are on the line of succession have title of Prince, but this title only indicates that they are in the line of succession, for example Duke of Edinburgh
well, as mafan has mentioned adove, in 1953 the laws of succession to the danish throne was altered. only the descendants of king christian X now has the right to succeed. also those who have the right to succeed is styled prince (ss) TO denmark and not of denmark !!

by the way the duke of edinburgh had renounced his styles and titles of greece and denmark back in 1947, thus his four children has never been or have the right to be prince (ss) of greece and denmark even tough they are male line descendants of old king christian IX...........
Old 06-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Serene Highness

excuseme!! it is true, he was Prince Greece and Denmark but in 1947 he renounced to it.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydep View Post
hello.
to my understanding this denotes those who are genealogically part of the danish royal house via "male descent" from christian IX, king of denmark.
so as prince william, a younger son of the adove king , was elected the king of greece, as king george I, his descendants are thus sytled as prince (ss) of greece and DENMARK..........
I agree, they are the decendent of Christian IX of Denmark
Old 06-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

With the exception of Anne-Marie, who was born a Princess of Denmark, the members of the Greek Royal Family are only entitled to use the style "Prince/Princess of Greece and Denmark" as descendants of Prince Vilhelm (George I of the Hellenes). They are not entitled to use the style "to Denmark" alone under the 1953 Danish law.

Their rank of HRH is by virtue of the Greek Royal House, not Denmark, and its laws.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Moderator Emeritus

There is the same discussion in the Danish forum. May be you would like to read.

Princes and Princesses of Greece and Denmark?

Old 07-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Serene Highness

The Shields of arms of the European royal houses provide much data on the lineage and the title of the Royal Houses.
This could explain the topic that we are discussing. I do not know the heraldry, but if someone can help me...

Royal family of Greece

Imageshack - escudekingpavlo
Imageshack - constgreek

Duke of Edinburgh

Imageshack - dukeedimburgo

the Royal House of Denmark

http://img268.imageshack.us/my.php?image=danishz.jpg

The first two Shields of arms are of the Greek Royal Family.
The second is of the Duke of Edinburgh, husband of Queen Elizabeth, in a small squared has a white cross and blue colour, this means they come from the Royal House Greece.

The third is the Royal house of Denmark.

The common element of all three, are men who are on the sides ... This indicates the origin of the lineage is of the Danish Royal House.

Does anyone know if this has to do with King Christian of Denmark?

I think , that the two men indicate origin of Danish ancestry and the title of Prince of Denmark, in the sense that they are direct descendants of the Danish Royal Family, while the presence of one indicates the origin of Danish descent but not the title, Duke of Edinburgh's case, he relinquished his title.

Excuse, I call this "Shields of arms" , but I do not know how it in English.