The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Serene Highness

Most nicknames are substantives.
This is a example:
"Former King Constantine "Glubsburg" or "Greece" (in danish, in spanish....)
Who among them could be the nickname?
"Former", is preposition, not nickname
"Glusburg" or "Greece"...., is the name of a place, a name.
"Constantine" is name, not nickname.
In conclusion the noun that could act as a nickname is "King""basilia".
KING is a nickname, much used.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy

I agree with you!!! it is a nickname!!!:) Glücksburg is not surname and it is not nickname.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Aristocracy

What is your conclusion Beltraneja, as it pertains to this thread?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Serene Highness

This is my conclusion: To say "Constantine Glubsburg " is wrong because: He has a passport with a surname that is not Glubsburg ... Second can not be said to justify the use of Glusburg, which is a nickname, because the nickname Constantine would be "King"
Old 11-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Tatiana is listed as HRH Princess Tatiana, while Marie-Chantal is listed as HRH Crown Princess Pavlos on the official website.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, it is
I thought that Tatiana would be HRH Princess Nikolaos, but it is not in web official, she is Princess Tatiana.
The Greek Royal Family - The Royal Family
Old 11-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELTRANEJA View Post
Yes, it is
I thought that Tatiana would be HRH Princess Nikolaos, but it is not in web official, she is Princess Tatiana.
The Greek Royal Family - The Royal Family
Even if she were a princess in her own rights, the Greek royal family precedent is that all princesses by marriage are called after their husband's name. Even Grand Duchess Helena became princess Nikolaou of Greece.
Then again, everything has been distorted and misused of late and nothing can surprise us. When prince Michael's daughters who are 100% commoners are called princesses, everything can be expected.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

Both the Princess Marie Chantal, as Princess Tatiana are Princesses by marriage, is the title of prince consort,they are princesses by marriage and is therefore correct to say "Princess Nikolaos""Princess Pavlos" .
Some people think that say "Princess Nikolaos" is old and they should be Princess Tatiana and Princess Marie Chantal, but my opinion is that this is incorrect because, it is not a problem of old/new , the problem is that they are consorts, the owner of the title are the princes , they are consorts

I doubt of the validity of the title of the daughters of Michael, the title of the father of Miguel was unique, the requirements that were required were not met, Prince Michael resigned it in 1965.

Also by criterion of justice, Lady Katherini, was a daughter of kings, she resigned the title was later Lady Graham. The sons of Princess Alexia do not carry the title of princes, we can not say Princess Arrieta...
Old 11-29-2010, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
...Lady Katherini, was a daughter of kings, she resigned the title was later Lady Graham.
Daughter of Constantine I, Princess Katherine was granted the rank of a Duke's daughter in Great Britain by King George VI in 1947 and was known as Lady Katherine Brandram.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Also by criterion of justice, Lady Katherini, was a daughter of kings, she resigned the title was later Lady Graham. The sons of Princess Alexia do not carry the title of princes, we can not say Princess Arrieta...
Princess Katherine of Greece never gave up her title of princess. Once she became a British citizen through her marriage to Paul Brandram she could no longer use the title of 'princess' in the UK. No British citizen can hold a foreign title (this was brought in with the changes to titles and names in 1917) So Katherine asked King George VI to give her the style and title of the daughter of an Earl so within the UK she became Lady Katherine Brandram. But outside the UK she remained Princess Katherine of Greece. She was buried in Greece and her tomb has her name as Princess Katherine of Greece (Lady Katherine Brandram).
Princess Alexia's children don't have titles as the titles pass through the male line and not the female. (Same reason Princess Katherine's son has no title)
Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Serene Highness

Excuseme! I did a mistake "Lady Brandram".

I want to specify the last thing I said. I talk about justice approach, because I think Lady Branndam never used the title of Princess, she used the Lady. When I read about Lady Brandam, it is customary to read, she was the first Princess of Greece and then Lady, this is not right, she was a daughter of Kings, it was Princess and Lady, and those same people when they speak of the daughters of Prince Michael said, they are Princesses of Greece, why was not Catherini Princess?.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Aristocracy

I am not agree Charlotte, Princess Katherini was Greek she assumed British nationality by marriage, one person born in Britain cannot use foreign title in Britain but Princess Katherini was not born in Britain, she was greek.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Gentry

i understand that people get interested in these matters, the titles of the royals and other things about them. my question is why does it matter, from the moment they became ex or deposed royals? in greece, such details are of no importance, no one will call them with their titles ever. greets to all!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Serene Highness

Who cares? For example, to the Queen Elizabeth interests the title of nobility, because she will send invitations to the wedding of her grandson, she shall take into account the title of nobility, of the reigning royal houses and non reigning. requisites to attend the wedding : be family, be a friend .. and obviously have noble title ..
Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolopoulus View Post
I am not agree Charlotte, Princess Katherini was Greek she assumed British nationality by marriage, one person born in Britain cannot use foreign title in Britain but Princess Katherini was not born in Britain, she was greek.
When Princess Katherine married Richard Brandram she became a British citizen. As a British citizen she could not hold a foreign title, in her case a Greek one. She may have been Greek but with her marriage she also became a British citizen.

The same situation happened with Princess Marina, when she married Prince George, The Duke of Kent she no longer held her Greek title, as a British citizen she became Princess George, the Duchess of Kent. Until her son married she was know exclusively as The Duchess of Kent. When her son married she asked the Queen if she could use the courtesy title of princess so she became Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. She didn't revert back to her birth title as she couldn't use a Greek title, so the Queen allowed her to use a courtesy title. Just like her other aunt who became Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, although Alice had never been a princess in her own right.

Philip once he became a British citizen in February 1947, could no longer use Prince Philip as his name, so he adopted his maternal uncle's name as a surname.

King Constantine, although he has lived in the UK for many years is not a British citizen, his family have Danish diplomatic passports. They therefore can still use their courtesy titles.

Princess Katherine was referred to as Princess Katherine, Lady Katherine Brandram in the compensation case the former Greek royals took out against the Greek government in relation to their properties. The 2002 judgement refers to her as Princess Katherine, Lady Katherine Brandram.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

No, to the death of her husband followed she being British, but her title, in sentence of Court, was Princess Catherine, and she was british, her title was valid
Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolopoulus View Post
No, to the death of her husband followed she being British, but her title, in sentence of Court, was Princess Catherine, and she was british, her title was valid
She remained Princess Katherine OUTSIDE the UK, the court judgement was from the European court, not the British. Inside the UK, she could not hold a foreign title, therefore she asked King George VI to give her the courtesy style and precedence of the daughter of an Earl. Otherwise she would have been plain Mrs Brandram, and being invited to royal events where her precedence would have her seated far from other family members. INSIDE the UK, she was Lady Katherine Brandram.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRspecialforces View Post
i understand that people get interested in these matters, the titles of the royals and other things about them. my question is why does it matter, from the moment they became ex or deposed royals? in greece, such details are of no importance, no one will call them with their titles ever. greets to all!
You can speak for your self, but in Greece, everybody call them with their titles;-) and some other call them by their name, because they feel close to them, as they are very simple people...
Old 01-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Gentry

everybody call them with their titles? are you sure this is what happens? i live in greece, too. and i don't only circulate between the circles of monarchists, and i usually hear people calling the ex-king kokos. if you want straight facts, that's the reality. and you must know i don't appriciate attacks and irony for my political views. example = jeaffrey papandreou if you want to say something to me, roimat, send me a message. greets!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Aristocracy

I can call to Constantine "..KIng" in Greece. It is a decision private of the persons. I belive in monarchy, I call to Constantine King, this is my personal decision, it is my problem. If you don´t want call him KING, it is your decision. He is my KING, officially, he is ex King, but for me he is my King. I am free to call him KING. In the magazines say that Michael Jackson is "...KING of the music" and he had not nobility title.