The position of the Royal Family and attitudes to restoration

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, Susan Alicia, now I see: You know Pcss Marie Chantal personally! How could you otherwise know her "character"?!

wartenberg, as a Greek of 36 years old and royalist, but fair, i know that Pavlos is popular among younger ages, more than his father.
But i think he had mad several mistakes: his wife, 14 years after their marriage, still doesn't speak any Greek. Hell, Queen Anne Marie spent only 3 years in Greece ands speaks the language very nice, Marie Chandal doesn't have the time to learn Greek? She was supposed to be a Queen of Greece!!! And the same is going on with his children. They don't speak greek...and we cannot blaim the children for that. Even infanta Christine speaks a litle of Greek, she took greek courses!!!

All right. Might be true. But this doesn´t seem to be enough for me to reject the Princess in such a harsh way!:nonono:
I think the language matter would only be a problem if they were living in Greece or there would be the slightest chance for the restoration of the monarchy, which is not the case as far as I am informed.
By the way, is there any proof that Pavlos really doesn´t speak greek with the kids? I´m not sure, but as far as I remember he once said so a couple ofyears ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
That Princess Marie Chantal doesn't speak the Lenguage is one of the minor problems, but in my opinion this represent a lack of interest for Greece by who is supoused to be its Crown Princess.
Maybe the Princess dont see the utility of speack creeck

Last edited:
Oh, Susan Alicia, now I see: You know Pcss Marie Chantal personally! How could you otherwise know her "character"?!

All right. Might be true. But this doesn´t seem to be enough for me to reject the Princess in such a harsh way!:nonono:
I think the language matter would only be a problem if they were living in Greece or there would be the slightest chance for the restoration of the monarchy, which is not the case as far as I am informed.
By the way, is there any proof that Pavlos really doesn´t speak greek with the kids? I´m not sure, but as far as I remember he once said so a couple ofyears ago...

Come one, do you realy believe what you are saying??? The language would be a problem only if they were in Greece? But the are in Greece 6 months per year! And, for God, she is a Grrek princess, not an american basketball player in a Greek team!!!

A problem:

A Greek journalist want do a interview to Marie Chantal MIller , the Greek journalist does not know the languages that MC speak

Question: what language will the journalist use?
GREEK
Because the journalist knows that she is member of old royal family.

.... She should learn Greek because she attends celebrations of royal houses representing the Greek royal family, everything has a price ...The Greek is the minimum price to pay for it

I have a feeling that she understands some greek but she either is not talking or is not feeling comfortable to talk.

I have a feeling that she understands some greek but she either is not talking or is not feeling comfortable to talk.

I think you are wrigth in what you say,bUT i also think that the Greek language is very hard to learn and then master as your 2.-3. language.

A problem:

A Greek journalist want do a interview to Marie Chantal MIller , the Greek journalist does not know the languages that MC speak

Question: what language will the journalist use?
GREEK
Because the journalist knows that she is member of old royal family.

.... She should learn Greek because she attends celebrations of royal houses representing the Greek royal family, everything has a price ...The Greek is the minimum price to pay for it

Well, this problem is the least...The language problem is mostly a "conection-with -the-people" problem. Don't forget that crown Prince Alexander of Serbia, who has lived all his live in tha States and in Great Britain, is speaking Serbian, is verry often critisized because he is not speaking it very well!!!
Just imagine the scene: Pavlos and Marie Chandal are making a tour at Greek villages...old women and men arecoming out of their houses to say hello to them...and they are trying to talk to their " Quenn ment to be".....

There are two solutions to learn Greek or run of the people of the village ....
another problem almost, you imagine this, the kings have been waiting 40 years to return to Greece and talk with the people in greek... and now that they can , they have been forced to speak in English because your grandchildren do not speak Greek.

That's exactly the "conection with the people" i'm refering to....People here love to greet Constantine, Anna Maria, Pavlos, Nikolaos and Alexia. The other two younger princess, Philippos and Theodora, also don't speak good Greek. And when they visit Greece, almost none pays atention to them.:-(

I think that the member of the Greek royal house that has connected with people is Nikolaos (and Tatiana).It is true Teodora y Filipos do not show great interestthe people by them but NIko.

the eldests show interest mostly an the King and Queen and prinscess Irene, and of course at Queen Sofia, but they also have good connection with the 3 eldest children.
Younger greeks realy like Nikolaos and Alexia, and i think they are "just ok" with Pavlos...and most of younger greeks don't even know about Philippos an Theodora...

I agree with you..
Why do you think that with Pavlo "just ok"?

I think that the younger generation will come to the surface when Nikolaos marries. Then the press will look for "gossip" to those two. For example who they date, what they do etc.

ps: Do we know what language the GRF uses when they are together? I am talking about the King, the Queen and their children only. Do they speak Danish as well?I know that most know spanish.

No,no danish at all. King himself doesn't even know danish!I think they speak Greek and english. Nikolaos' and Alexia's accent is very good, like they were living all their life in Greece. Pavlos seam to be a litle nervous when he is speaking on TV, but in private he also speaks greek fluently

I agree with you..
Why do you think that with Pavlo "just ok"?

Maybe he got married too early and they have no ineterest to him :)...No, i just said that his live is a normal life of a father, Nikolaos is a litle more popular,close to the people...

by the way....8 days after the christening of Aristidis Stavros, and still the official website of the Greek Royal Family has no news about it......

by the way....8 days after the christening of Aristidis Stavros, and still the official website of the Greek Royal Family has no news about it......

About that, when i try to get to the site i get a warning of malicious context that could affect my pc. So could there be a hacker problem on their site?

Ok. I agree with you Roimat, but I think this:
I think that NIko and Alexia have more interest to people because their lifestyle is identified with the Greeks.
Alexia abandoned her work to care of their children, has four children, her husband is an architect....
She is reflected in the Greek magazine as a spontaneous person...
I remember when she spoke in a magazine about when she travelled to palace of Tatoi by the funeral of Queen FEderika, she said that .
her first memories were in Tatoi with her cousins Elena and Cristina ... She was nervous, she thought, "Here are my sources" I'm from here "
She spoke with great sincerity. The people appreciated this.
Niko appears in the magazines of Greece,celebrating the victory of the selection of Greek football, dancing at a party , in Crete with his girlfriend ...
People identified him with Greece.They are spontaneous.

Paul speaks Greek, is Greek, but when he appears in magazines of Greece, this is an exclusive, it is planned,They are made up, well dressed... they are glamorous,it is planned. The interviews are focused on Marie Chantal, her family, her work, but no reference to Greece. when Paul speaks in the interview,he talkes about his work, which is involved in the fight the ozone layer ... and there is only minimal reference to Greece.

The lack of spontaneity in the interview, lack references to Greece ..for people they are "just ok"

About that, when i try to get to the site i get a warning of malicious context that could affect my pc. So could there be a hacker problem on their site?
No,this warning is made,when some people refair the site as of a bad content.Probably anti-royalists did that. Tha lack of news is a common think in the royal webpage...

Thank you !!!:lol:

I would like to see a interview in a magazine of Pavlo and Marie Chantal visiting a Greek village,talking with the people of the village.. That this will be spontaneous, not glamorous ...:nonono:

Come one, do you realy believe what you are saying??? The language would be a problem only if they were in Greece? But the are in Greece 6 months per year! And, for God, she is a Grrek princess, not an american basketball player in a Greek team!!!

Six months a year? Are you sure about it?
I do believe they have school children who attend classes and they are
not in Greece.
Besides MC is NOT a Greek princess. She married a Greek prince there
is a difference. She only comes to Greece in July or August for a couple
of weeks. Queen Anne Marie came to Greece to become a reigning Queen and among her other duties learning the Greek language was paramount.
MC realises that the chances of her becoming a Queen in Greece are slim to none. I doubt any Greek would hold against her the fact that she did not learn the language.

She will not be Queen of Greece, but this does not prevent her having a moral obligation, when she married Paul, she was aware of it because in the interviews she said that she was learning Greek ...and then???

She will not be Queen of Greece, but this does not prevent her having a moral obligation, when she married Paul, she was aware of it because in the interviews she said that she was learning Greek ...and then???

Everyone starts with good intentions and then along the way things change.
It is a pity that the children will not speak the language but then again they will grow away from Greece and may think about Greece as much as
the Greeks think about them.
I always believed that the Greek Royal Family will end with the current King and Queen. Only P Nicholas has shown any interest, the rest treat
the annual vacation as a "must do" for the PR side of it.:flowers:

I think that the Greeks admire Princess Irene and they even had a documentary about her current activities here in Greece and Africa. Then they like Princess Alexia because she is so down to earth, teaching children and having a loving family. Finally Prince Nikolaos "seems" more Greek, not of the way he looks but from his behavior. I believe that if he ever wanted to be a politician many would be convinced to vote for him!!

You are absolutely correct on all counts.
All I can add is the affection a lot of Greeks have for the Queen.
We received her as a 16 year old princess and she will always remain
for a lot that sweet young fairy tale like figure.:flowers:

Yes, i have never heard a bad word for her, she is lovely, beautiful and regal. I admire her because she stood by her husband all these years, through good and bad times she was there supporting him and raising a wonderful family.

The other day the Queen Sofia went to Tatoi with her children and grandchildren ... Obviously, she was to teach her grandchildren where she spent her childhood, who were the great-grandparents Paul and Federik and the other.The Journalists say that the Princesses Elena and Cristina planned the travel

They wanted that their children knew about the origins of Grandmother. Now they know it.In the future is possible that they will not be kings nevertheless they will know where is part of their history.:whistling:
this is a moral obligation.
I don´t think that Nikolaos will be politician in future.It isn´t posible:nonono:

Odette I agree that with Constantine will end a way of thinking, .. this is true, I have no doubt of it
Pavlo and Mc know that they will not be kings .... but I know they go to weddings of royal families in Europe representing to the former Greek royal house. they will be in celebrations because history says they are descendants of the former Greek royal family .. I think this is a reason to learn Greek ...
In Greece the most people not interested the monarchy, even some people criticize their presence in Greece .. but there is a minority that still believes in them, this person are what people want to hear Marie chnatal in Greek when she married Prince Paul in London there were some people who had traveled from Australia to see Paul.

Six months a year? Are you sure about it?
I do believe they have school children who attend classes and they are
not in Greece.
Besides MC is NOT a Greek princess. She married a Greek prince there
is a difference. She only comes to Greece in July or August for a couple
of weeks. Queen Anne Marie came to Greece to become a reigning Queen and among her other duties learning the Greek language was paramount.
MC realises that the chances of her becoming a Queen in Greece are slim to none. I doubt any Greek would hold against her the fact that she did not learn the language.

As a Greek, let me know better dear Odette...What if the children have school classes? She cannot afford a nunny to take care of them?
I said 6 months in avairage. Almost 3 months for summer, and another for easter vacations.
MC is having a career in the fashion with the name "princess Marie Chandal of Greece", not Marie Chandal Miller. Beeing a princess, even in a non reigning family, has some obligations. I said it before: she isn't an american basketball player, who is coming to play for a greek team!!!
And make no mistake: do you realise how shame of her is to meet grrek people at tha country site and cannot speak to them???

The other day the Queen Sofia went to Tatoi with her children and grandchildren ...
Yes, i meet the cars going to Tatoi and followed them, but the police didn't let me get any closer...But you see, Queen Sofia, allthought she now considers herself 100% spanish, she never forget her roots.
How can we say the same think in 20 years from now about Pavlos and Marie Chandal's children, if they have nothing "greek" ?
Even infanta Christina speaks greek, i've seen her 2 years ago speaking Greek at Tatoi, at a memorial service!

:previous:One can only follow the family from afar to know they do not spend 6 months a year in Greece. They come for a few days during the summer months. They can most certainly afford nannies and tutors but still
they live abroad and do not speak Greek. This is a fact and what we may
wish or expect them to do is of no consequence.
As we cannot have our cake and eat it too, we cannot tell them that
we do not want a restoration of the Monarchy and expect of them to have any obligation to follow our rules learn our language or come and spend their time in a country that has no desire to see them back as a reigning royal family.:flowers:

Of course I do - otherwise I wouldn´t have said it...what do you think anyway?
As far as I know, she´s not considered a "greek princess" by the majority of the greek people, but only by the royal family. Why should I learn a language I hardly need. I mean, she might know some basics or how to order a coffee in a restaurant. That seems enough for the short time she´s in Greece (never heard of 6 months! I see her all over the place, mainly in London, but hardly in Greece. All right, 3 weeks for the summer holidays...).

As we cannot have our cake and eat it too, we cannot tell them that
we do not want a restoration of the Monarchy and expect of them to have any obligation to follow our rules learn our language or come and spend their time in a country that has no desire to see them back as a reigning royal family.:flowers:[/quote]

Couldn´t agree more, Odette! The way most of the greeks treat the Royal Family up to this day is a shame. I wouldn´t be surprised if the RF didn´t want to have anything to do with this country at all after all they´ve been through! The fact they still do shows a lot of their true love of their homecountry and their good character.
That greeks do not attack the Queen is unfortunately also not true: I´ve read some very, very offending and horrid things being said about her from some greek republicans (go to "you tube"!). This fine family really did deserve a better country...

Back
Top Bottom