The position of the Royal Family and attitudes to restoration

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:Christina is one of my favorite royals, decent, humble yet proud.

MC is not royal at all in character, she has remained a PAP. But chances of their coming back to Greece were slim I think, but now they are since his marriage non existent.

Susan, it doesn't matter if her chances coming back are slim or not. She married the crown prince of Greece, even id he is never going to be king. She is obliged to learn Greek!! And learn her children also. After years, we'll have 5 greek princes that will have no idea of speaking greek...this is uacceptable!

Marie Chantal has what she likes , since always I think.. Now she is a RH , she may wear the greek sash and she is wearing an unkown fringe tiara. Their children have greek surnames and are going to Greece for their long holidays.. that's all..
But I am surprised to see at the christening only Constantine siblings and not the Danes or SWB ?

Maria Olivia, they don't even have Greek surnames. That's a problem, cause the Danish royal family,from whom the Greek Royal Gamily origin, doen's have a name. In Greece the don't use us surnames "Of Bourbon" or "of palma", like in spain. That's why i insist that thw kids 'll have a problem in the future. No greek language, no greek parsports, no greek surname!
I think the Danes had at the same time the birthday anniversary of Prince Consort, that's why they didn't come...

Susan, it doesn't matter if her chances coming back are slim or not. She married the crown prince of Greece, even id he is never going to be king. She is obliged to learn Greek!! And learn her children also. After years, we'll have 5 greek princes that will have no idea of speaking greek...this is uacceptable!

Could this behavior prove that they don't even think of the possibility of maybe returning to Greece someday with a more official role?

I think that, this option is already accepted by the King...but as i said before, that isn't an excuse! Juan Carlos was the grand children of the last King of Spain, and he was in a worse possition that now Pavlos is. But he learned spanish and acted like a spaniard.

I agree with you re the children. But there is some responsablility on his part in the education of his children too. Perhaps it can be said that he is lacking in something characterwise too, just like she is. Perfect match :flowers:

I agree in the feeling that Pavlos prefered to marry a rich woman instead of insisting on a future wife being interested in Greece. So it´s a bit of his own mistake also. But of course the former Greek royal family is aware that there will be never again a restoration of the monarchy.
By the way roimat: Did you already post your photos on facebook?

Pavlos has said in interviews that when he and Marie-Chantal met they learned that they had a lot of similarities. They both came from similar backgrounds, they both had strong family oriented values, both wanted several children, both had stable home lives. In the long-run do you think his marriage would have lasted as lovely/long as it has if he would have married some titled woman that would disgrace himself and his family? Another problem is that he's directly related to several of the current princesses. The Danish, Spanish, and Greek royals are all his first cousins. I know there are alot of nobles out their that he could have married, but so far, Prince Philippe of Belgium has been one of the fortunate ones to get a wonderful noble woman.

similar backgrounds is a bit strong, I see no similarity with Constantine who married a Danish princess and Mr. and Mrs. Miller. But this subject probably has been discussed before.

I was surprised to hear that the children do not speak Greek, one afternoon a week would have done the trick. Noblesse oblige.

Samitude ,
"They came from simular backgrounds."
Are you comparing the Millers with the RF of Danemark and Greece ? My day's shock!

similar backgrounds is a bit strong, I see no similarity with Constantine who married a Danish princess and Mr. and Mrs. Miller. But this subject probably has been discussed before.

I was surprised to hear that the children do not speak Greek, one afternoon a week would have done the trick. Noblesse oblige.

Samitude ,
"They came from simular backgrounds."
Are you comparing the Millers with the RF of Danemark and Greece ? My day's shock!

I agree with you both. I see no similarity between the millers and the RF of Greece. :nonono:
I too was surprised to hear that the heirs of the CP of Greece do not speak greek, I understand that it is a non-reigning household but they still should be taught the language, it's their heritage. :nonono:

wartenberg, as a Greek of 36 years old and royalist, but fair, i know that Pavlos is popular among younger ages, more than his father.
But i think he had mad several mistakes: his wife, 14 years after their marriage, still doesn't speak any Greek. Hell, Queen Anne Marie spent only 3 years in Greece ands speaks the language very nice, Marie Chandal doesn't have the time to learn Greek? She was supposed to be a Queen of Greece!!! And the same is going on with his children. They don't speak greek...and we cannot blaim the children for that. Even infanta Christine speaks a litle of Greek, she took greek courses!!!

You are right Roimat,the children should learn Greek,like their dad.Their mother should have done so from the day Pavlos popped the question.
No argument can ever justify her not speaking Greek at present,even I can speak some,but then I'm not that blonde anyway......:rolleyes:

Children are so perceptive of other languages,have said that before in the Dutch threads and can't say it enough,educate them all bi-lingual,
if you can,and they can.One english and a prominent greek side,a greek nanny would certainly help.

not only the language, the sirtaki and all those other Greek dances too:lol:. I know I had to, every Wednesday afternoon, Greek language, Greek history and mythology and dancing :ROFLMAO:

Stefanie, you can see my photos at the facebook group "The Greek Royal Family". As for the rest: i don't believe that Pavlos married Marie Chantal because she is rich. I believe that he fell in love to her. But from that point and now one, he is responsible that he didn't push her to learn greek. Dam, it's 14 years marriege now! And i'm afraid that also the King should take his resposibillities about that. All the Queens of Greece were from other countries, but they all talked greek perfectly.

Lucien, i don't think they have a greek nunny. Even Pavlos secretary isn't Greek...

Last edited by a moderator:
Frederika was smart as a wip I have heard, Anne Marie I do not know but she definitely knew what was her moral obligation towards Greece.

MC probably can not compare to both of them.

So, it was for good that Greece hasn't King anymore...cause it couldn't have a Queen such as Frederica or Anna Maria again...;-)

not only the language, the sirtaki and all those other Greek dances too:lol:. I know I had to, every Wednesday afternoon, Greek language, Greek history and mythology and dancing :ROFLMAO:

I once saw Pavlos and Nicolaos dancing,fantastic,they jumped higher then I ever could
in my best days.....The people went bezerk for enthousiasm,greek people,
in a village taverna,in Greece,at Spetses IIRC or Hydra,one of those two.
Great boys then,great men now.But both daddy and their funny uncle should teach them in all matters Greek efgaristo poli.

Last edited:
Maria Olivia, they don't even have Greek surnames. That's a problem, cause the Danish royal family,from whom the Greek Royal Gamily origin, doen's have a name. In Greece the don't use us surnames "Of Bourbon" or "of palma", like in spain. That's why i insist that thw kids 'll have a problem in the future. No greek language, no greek parsports, no greek surname!
I think the Danes had at the same time the birthday anniversary of Prince Consort, that's why they didn't come...

I think that is right Roimat. She have a moral obligation, to learn Greek.
Roimat spoke of three elements of the union between Greece and Greek Royal Family:
a-nationality, passport
b-Name
c-language.
The first two were retirees by the Greek State in 1994. I think it is very difficult for the Greek state to repeal the law that approved the withdrawal.
But language does not depend on any state.you have right romait if future generations of the royal family do not speak Greek, How could we identify to them in future with Greece? I think they should learn Greek, this is not a political obligation is a moral obligation.:nonono:
thank Roimat by pictures!!!

I have been to Greece and Greek is very hard to speak .... but then again I am not in line for the title of their Queen...

I think that is right Roimat. She have a moral obligation, to learn Greek.
Roimat spoke of three elements of the union between Greece and Greek Royal Family:
a-nationality, passport
b-Name
c-language.
The first two were retirees by the Greek State in 1994. I think it is very difficult for the Greek state to repeal the law that approved the withdrawal.
But language does not depend on any state.you have right romait if future generations of the royal family do not speak Greek, How could we identify to them in future with Greece? I think they should learn Greek, this is not a political obligation is a moral obligation.:nonono:
thank Roimat by pictures!!!

Well, the name is a hole different think from nationality and passport. Before 1994, the Royal Family members had the greek pasports that had given since 1974, with the name "Constantine, former King of Greece", etc. The new law of 1994 said that the members of the Greek Royal Family were never Greek, but that they were Greek because they were kings and queens and princes of Greece!!!!! Something very insulting, as you can unterstand...
However, the law is law, and even the King had to adjust. But if he wants to have an identification in the future, he has to get a surname,so that his grandchildren have one.

Lady Anne, several americans learned greek, even Andreas' Papandreou american wife. And all 4 Queens of Greece...even a blond could learn Greek in 14 years :p

Lady Anne, several americans learned greek, even Andreas' Papandreou american wife. And all 4 Queens of Greece...even a blond could learn Greek in 14 years :p

I am sure they have, I was just saying it is a hard one to speak!:flowers: My husband is Turkish and I have had to learn at least enough to get by the people that don't bother to learn English even though they have lived here for more then 10 - 15 years. I don't disagree with you, I feel she should have and still can learn, but it might have been easier for the older children if they have done it earlier as it is not the most easy alphabet in the world. PS I am not blonde but some very smart women are...lol

Well, there is an explanation. King Constantine was King of Greece, won a gold Olympic medal for Greece, served the Army, and one day, a government comes and say to him "You were never Greek, if you wanna be Greek, you have to go to the que, to state a surname". I can understand him, but this is the emotional site of that.
The realistic one is that:there are no chances for Monarchy in Greece. So, he has to get a name, not for him, but for his grandchildren and their children, so they can have something familiar with Greece.

I thought i remember reading somewhere that pavlos and mc's kids went to greek school in london.

For have a Greek name, Constantine has to swear a republican constitution (He has to recognize that the monarchy is impossible, that the monarchical ideology is not possible). Have you seen a communist politician to recognize that the communist state is impossible?. I have not seen a communist recognize it .. and they are in the European parliaments, they defend their ideology .. by this, because it is an ideological way of thinking, Constantine has a right to believe in it .. the same reason leads to the Communists not to renounce their ideology is the same that explain that Constatine does not swear a Republican Constitucion: Ideology

Talking about another topic:
I read that the Greek school of London was closed for lack of students.

BELTRANEJA, i was going to say about the Greek College-not school- of London. Yes, it clossed in 2005,it has only 80 students, and in 1996 it has more than 300...
As for having a greek name,i don't think Constantine has to do all that stuff....it's just a piliticians method to humiliate him. In 1974, when tha military junta fell, tha leader of the Greek Communst party signed a declaration that he is accepting the Democracy,but that was because the COmunist Party wsa ilegal in Greece till that time. King Constantine isn't ilegal, and he has several times admited the legality of the Constitution and the Presidensial Democracy in Greece.

OK! Roimat ... In conclusion Marie Chantal and their children must learn Greek ..

OK! Roimat ... In conclusion Marie Chantal and their children must learn Greek ..

The next question that arises is.....do they read the forum?Or who will let them know of our decision :ROFLMAO:?

It's absolutely true and I'm going to give you an example:I'm a commoner of byzantine descent(which propably means of greek ancient descent,who knows,nobody can go that far).How can I accept as my king someone of danish-russian-german origin?You see:he's going to be the king while me and the majority of Ellines have 100% greek blood?Forget it...

LoL...how does that come from,that the majority of Greeks have 100% greek blood?After 400 of turkish occupation, after so many foreign armies that pasted over Greek soil???

The next question that arises is.....do they read the forum?Or who will let them know of our decision :ROFLMAO:?

No, i don't think that they read it...:)

Back
Top Bottom