The position of the Royal Family and attitudes to restoration

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It turns out that Greece is one independent State of Turkey because the arms and money was put by foreing countries, is that Greece is not a country economically self-sufficient always has depended of alliances and foreign money to keep her borders, for example after the World War it needed the money from the U.S. to get out of their poverty. It depends of the tourism, foreigners are their primary source of income, it currently is in bankruptcy and needs foreign money to keep going, and sorry to say this, I hope that does not hurt, but what the newspapers say, Greece is the country that has provided less money to the European Union and has received more money. I have a Greek friend that when he speaks of his country, always starts saying it's a autosufciente country, he speaks of blood theories that without the euro, without being part of international organizations, they would be as Monaco, however, for that Greece would be one country self-sufficient it would be located in Central Europe, above the former Yugoslavia, and away from Asian.

IRIS1983 said:
It turns out that Greece is one independent State of Turkey because the arms and money was put by foreing countries, is that Greece is not a country economically self-sufficient always has depended of alliances and foreign money to keep her borders, for example after the World War it needed the money from the U.S. to get out of their poverty. It depends of the tourism, foreigners are their primary source of income, it currently is in bankruptcy and needs foreign money to keep going, and sorry to say this, I hope that does not hurt, but what the newspapers say, Greece is the country that has provided less money to the European Union and has received more money. I have a Greek friend that when he speaks of his country, always starts saying it's a autosufciente country, he speaks of blood theories that without the euro, without being part of international organizations, they would be as Monaco, however, for that Greece would be one country self-sufficient it would be located in Central Europe, above the former Yugoslavia, and away from Asian.

Most of the European countries rrceived money from USA after the war. It was the Marshall plan. And what is the relation of your theory above (which i wont comment as it is out of topic) with the greek monarchy?

It turns out that Greece is one independent State of Turkey because the arms and money was put by foreing countries, is that Greece is not a country economically self-sufficient always has depended of alliances and foreign money to keep her borders, for example after the World War it needed the money from the U.S. to get out of their poverty.

Many European countries, including the UK, France and other countries that suffered losses (including economical one) during the World War. As fandesacs2003 rightly pointed out, it was The Marshall Plan. The aim of giving aid to European countries was to help their economies and to combat the spread of Soviet communism. A lot of countries heavily depend on tourism - Greece is hardly alone in that respect.

Returning to the topic of this thread, personally I think chances of restoration in Greece are non-existent. Having lived in Greece for over a year, I didn't meat a single Greek who would actually support the restoration. For most of them, Monarchy is something so irrelevant they don't even think or speak about it, and when they do, it's in highly negative terms. The Greek Royal Family wasn't Greek to start with; they are called "Germans", sometimes "Danes" but never Greeks.

fRANCESAC, Iris has right , Greece is not self-sufficient , for example, Greece was defended by other foreing countries, In Spain history of XV-XVI, in this time, including before of this ages, Spanish Kings sent the army to fight against the Turkish empire in Greece, they controled are area, Miguel of Cervantes, author of Don Quixote, was captain of the Spanish Navy, was on mission in Crete, in one of his battles lost a hand and was captured by the Turks.
He was imprisoned for many years by the Ottoman Empire.

And the Kings of Aragon, I remember the Queen Sofia last year put a plaque in Acropolis to commemorate the presence of the kings of Aragon in Greece, we speak of XIII.I think it is difficult to restore the monarchy (not impossible) , from an objective point , I believe that Greece would be a country better economic and better image with one parlamentary monarchies to the European but it is only an ideal structure. I do not like the theories of blood, I told it some other time. It is to deny Europe.

Last edited:
Of course many countries fought in this area. But it was in order to stop Turkish expansion and to be strong in the area. They also invaded areas. The knights after Rhodes invaded Malta and Aragon invaded Sicily. This happened very often! But what the relation with the Greek monarchy? In all europe strong countries put inported kings to smaller, but the population did not wanted them. Remember Mexico and King Maximilien!

I suppose the King of the Hellenes really loves his country and he considers himself really greek.

Cory said:
I suppose the King of the Hellenes really loves his country and he considers himself really greek.

I strongly believe that YES and this is the unfair point of the story. Most of the members of the dynasty adored the country and dedicated their life and actions to. But the failed to persuade, a matter of "bad image making"! Some of them got badly involved to some of the worst pages of the recent history, like Pcs Andrew (Pcs Philip father) with the 1922 catastrophy or King Kostantin with the 1967 dictature.

This is not historic, this is now:
Our politicians, Karamanlis and PapandreouS(George Papandreou was not born in Greece) ....have ruined us, we are poorer every day, however there are members in the Greek parliament on the lists of the richest, I want to change but no can because the Republic can not be changed . What is our future?, We have to pay the debt that our politicians did, I do not see better hospitals, airports in Greece but I see politicians richer every day, where is that money? is the Republic, the republic are families in power.... are Papandreous, Karamanlis, simitis..Bakoyannis, mitsotakis... and others. and I can not change this. THIS IS TRUE

stef said:
Our politicians, Karamanlis and PapandreouS(George Papandreou was not born in Greece) ....have ruined us, we are poorer every day, however there are members in the Greek parliament on the lists of the richest, I want to change but no can because the Republic can not be changed . What is our future?, We have to pay the debt that our politicians did, I do not see better hospitals, airports in Greece but I see politicians richer every day, where is that money? is the Republic, the republic are families in power.... are Papandreous, Karamanlis, simitis..Bakoyannis, mitsotakis... and others. and I can not change this. THIS IS TRUE

Right! Tragic but correct.

A great deal of the above is true. But what has that to do with the Royal Forums? I cannot see your point

I noticed King Konstantinos is welcomed everywhere in Greece with warmth.

Cory said:
I noticed King Konstantinos is welcomed everywhere in Greece with warmth.

My dear i noticed that you have a very romantic opinion about the former royalties. Do not feel offensed, i said it with sympathy.
King Konstantinos is not welcomed, people was often very nasty with him. He has been booded by people in the theater, and in the street! It was sad, unpolited and unfair! Only the last few years people are only indifferent and not agressive. Of course there are people nice with him, but not so much. Generally, i think that the last 30 years governments and people have treated KK without justice.

King Konstantinos has always been treated unfair by many Greek politicians.Maybe he shoul live in Greece all the time to be known by the youth.

Cory said:
King Konstantinos has always been treated unfair by many Greek politicians.Maybe he shoul live in Greece all the time to be known by the youth.

Since the wedding of Nikolaos he is more known, but they considered him like a "very old past"

But he could choose to live in Greece.

Cory said:
But he could choose to live in Greece.

I think they are building a house in porto heli, opposite to island of spetses. And he is often in Athens, i suppose he stays at the hotel

If he lives in Greece people will know him better and surely will learn to love him again.

no, he stays in a house in Porto Heli, he has bought the lands but has not yet built anything. Cory, I believe in the King, I like the King, I am a follower. I'm agree with Stef, this is the reality of Greece. I like the monarchy and I would like that Greece would be a monarchy, but the reality is that during 30 years Republic, politicians have made the monarchy and her members in unpopular.yes it is true the politicians have ruined to country but they always will be popular, during 30 years they have consolidated this idea, the politicians are popular , the monarchy no. the newspapers are of them, the tvs are of them .If the King lives in Greece, it would not change nothing.

Maybe with his kids smething could change. Not Pavlos (marie chantal is bad help, cold, distant and superficial), but with Nikolaos.
Unfortunately he is not the CP.

Maybe Nikolaos will live in Greece in the future with his beautiful wife.

Fandesacs, i think you have summed up the position of King Constantine and the unlikelyhood of his restoration, fairly well. I am no expert on the Greek Monarchy, but i do have two Greek ex-pats in my circle of friends and if their attitude towards Constantine is anything to go by, then the anti-monarchist propaganda that you have described, has succeeded all too well. As to the idea of the King and his family settling permanently in Greece, that is of course their right, however, i think they would be better off remaining in London where at least they are treated with a respect and affection, which is so lacking in their homeland.

Thanks James IV. If you go through the history of royalty in Greece, they have received more pain and rejection than hapiness! The only one who had a normal non stopped reign, and finished his life normally as a reigning sovereign, was King Paul. All the other Kings either assasinated or many times chassed from the country and the throne. And same sadness received many members of their families.

Last edited:
..and when will born the son or daughter of Prince nikolaos, the best that he can do is baptize her/him in London.

Maybe Nikolaos will live in Greece in the future with his beautiful wife.

Prince Nikolaos works for one company with headquartered in London, he is responsible for managing it in London, his work would not allow to live in Greece

Last edited by a moderator:
Cory said:
If he lives in Greece people will know him better and surely will learn to love him again.

Why are you so certain this will be the case? Suppose this idea backfires? I feel only pity, not sorrow, for Constantine and many members of other ex-royal families of countries that legally have no royal family. It must be a bitter pill to swallow for many of these people. Really very sad.

This year the Royal Family was more present in Greece and everybody seemed to have a lot of respect.

From the photos!

they have house in Greece, The king buys property in Greece.

It is very important The Royal Family lives in Greece.

Back
Top Bottom