The position of the Royal Family and attitudes to restoration

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ex royal family of Greece seems to remain famous and 'relevant' because of the close family link to Prince Philip. They dont seem popular in Greece.

The ex royal family of Greece seems to remain famous and 'relevant' because of the close family link to Prince Philip. They dont seem popular in Greece.

The Greek royal family has close ties with all the other royal families and are always invited and always respond to their invitations. It is true that they are closely related to Prince Philip but I highly doubt that this is the reason the other royals include them in all their celebrations.
In Greece they are either loved or despised among people of a certain age. The younger ones only care about what they read in the glossies about them but ignore the bigger picture and their history.

The Greek royal family has close ties with all the other royal families and are always invited and always respond to their invitations. It is true that they are closely related to Prince Philip but I highly doubt that this is the reason the other royals include them in all their celebrations.
In Greece they are either loved or despised among people of a certain age. The younger ones only care about what they read in the glossies about them but ignore the bigger picture and their history.

Fair enough. If only the Hohenzollerns had remained intermarried into other Royal Families. In that case Prince Georg Friedrich would also have a higher social profile like the ex Greek RF.

I cannot figure out what the Hohenzollerns have to do with the possibilities or lack of a restoration of the Greek Royal family

Queen Anne-Marie is the sister of the Queen of Denmark, that's a closer tie than what Prince Phillip is to King Constantine. They are invited to almost every royal birthday, event, wedding etc all over the world that isn't just because they have relatives but because, people like them.
They stay "popular" if you wish to call it that, because they are seen and they do good.

I cannot figure out what the Hohenzollerns have to do with the possibilities or lack of a restoration of the Greek Royal family

Like the Greek RF, the Hohenzollerns also fall into the same class of 'ex monarchy', albeit the Hohenzollerns abdicated and were not rejected by their country - as were the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburgs.

they're not, i can guarantee this to you. ;) they still like to challenge the public opinion, no matter how many of us don't care about a restoration. around 90-95%, that's a great majority. as a matter of fact, i even find Constantine's attitude immoral and not only challenging, if i'm allowed an honest opinion. ;) in his position, i would have the morality and the courage to quit all efforts towards a restoration and i would just sit back home and live my life however i wanted. the percentage of people who support him is between 5-10%, so low that i can't imagine how i would feel, if the 95% of the people of the country i want to reign don't even consider i'm greek. ;) it must be hard. :p greets!

This is true from what I've heard from Greek people I know and have met. I was at a party recently with several people who were visiting from Greece. At one point I asked them their opinion on the GRF and the respnse was, "they're not Greek. No Greek blood runs through their veins. They're from Denmark and England and other parts of Europe. Transplants, who needs them." There were other comments made that I will refrain from posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bella, thank you, my friend, for sharing your experience from the Greek people! It's so true, the negativity about the ex-royal family can reach 100%, and of course, i know how some greeks express themselves. :D Whatever, the point is that this is the reality here and the ex-king/now-nothing should know better and not expose himself so often. ;) :flowers:

To be honest, I doubt that he tries for a restoration any longer, he must realize that the majority of people do not care enough to press the parliament so severely as to force them to make a whole new Constitution because right now the article 110 stands in his way and unless it seizes to exist there is no legal way for the monarchy to come back.
And I would like to add something here about Bella's post regarding the Greeks she met - I guess many members would protest that those Greeks she met are not fair because nowadays it shouldn't matter what your blood is but where you were born, if you were raised in the country and what you consider yourself to define yourself as Greek. Well, in Greece it still matters a lot to claim that you have " Greek blood" , to be able to prove that you are a member of the Greek nation in order to say that you are truly a Greek. Even today most Greeks do not consider immigrants who have lived in this country most of their life as Greeks and IMO never will , because these people cannot claim that they descend from Greek people. And that is a reason why foreigners can have a very hard time getting a Greek citizenship - not to mention that in our heads "citizenship" and "nationality" are two very different things. So it might seems silly and unfair to an outsider to watch Greeks claim that the GRF is not Greek at all because they have foreign ancestors but to most Greeks it makes perfect sense

Last edited:
i agree with snowflower. people of this forum must understand that they're maybe the majority here, but a tiny minority in real life. ;) sometimes i wanted to post something and discuss some issues further, but i was hesitating because of their passion and obsession with the monarchy and with some royals, like the supposed "greek". :) anyway, it doesn't matter anymore. greets to everyone! :flowers:

It might be a miracle or fascinating for once to see a Greek royal marry another Greek. I cannot remember when this last happened. But it certainly would assist to have them marry into their own community instead of outside so systematically and methodically.

Glücksburg, Glücksburg , this is not their surname, this is not the surname of the dynasty, why would the journalist and politicians repeatedly say it??? to make clear that the old dynasty was foreign and German .....And thus prevent any member of the Greek royal family can hold political office in the future (This is an assumption, 100% no member of the family will devote to the politician)

But why would a foreign last name prevent them from holding a political office? It is only the citizenship that stops them from going into politics. As long as they become Greek citizen they can get involved into politics, no matter if their last name is German , Greek, Danish, Russian or Chinese

But why would a foreign last name prevent them from holding a political office? It is only the citizenship that stops them from going into politics. As long as they become Greek citizen they can get involved into politics, no matter if their last name is German , Greek, Danish, Russian or Chinese

This is relative because to stand for municipal elections, he would not need a Greek passport, for any European citizen can be in any European country in the municipal elections .... And back at the beginning of the problem, now King Constantine has a surname in his passport, this is not Glubkbug, it is easy to know by the Greek authorities, but yet politicians insist on call to him Glubkburg(foreing) which is not the surname of his passport. If he would assume a Greek surname and passport, What for? the press and politicians would follow calling him "Glubkburg" ,this is foreing...

Last edited:
I think that, in our modern times, to speak one about how Greek is the GRF, by saying about their...blood, is a little bit racist. After King George the 1st, all the members of the GRF were born Greek. So i think the "blood talking" is totally nonsense... specially with so many so called "Greek" politicians as Geoffrey Papandreou...;-)

Posts not relevant to the subject of the thread have been removed.

Warren
RF of Greece modertator

they're not, i can guarantee this to you. ;) they still like to challenge the public opinion, no matter how many of us don't care about a restoration. around 90-95%, that's a great majority. as a matter of fact, i even find Constantine's attitude immoral and not only challenging, if i'm allowed an honest opinion. ;) in his position, i would have the morality and the courage to quit all efforts towards a restoration and i would just sit back home and live my life however i wanted. the percentage of people who support him is between 5-10%, so low that i can't imagine how i would feel, if the 95% of the people of the country i want to reign don't even consider i'm greek. ;) it must be hard. :p greets!

Ya sou, that's right AFAIK, poly sosta. The ex-King isn't really welcome there. I know it because I lived in Greece for 12 years, til this day my best friends are Greek. I'm pretty much amazed by their dedication to democratic values, by their pride and concern to protect their democracy.

ITA. It's a cultural thing, the Greeks don't view their deposed royal family as symbols of unity. I went to a Greek high school and still remember reading about the ancient history of the country, the Acropolis, the Revolution of 1821, the Warriors of '21, then their war against Mussolini in 1940 and that sort of things, that made them who they are. Not the monarchy or any King.

The Kings did a lot to Greece, Thanks to King Constantine A , Salonika and the northern Greek is greek territory, King George was with the allies and this allowed the liberalization of Greece .The Kings have maintained our country's territorial integrity, long of the history. The problem is that for we is easier to believe that the weapons with defended our territory , God had brought us from heaven, than believe that alliances of our Kings with other states allowed weapons for our liberalization . But if you want an example of I tell you now I'll explain more updated. We prefer believe that China is our friend who has come to save us from the crisis, they helps us to reclaim the friezes of partnoon , than believe that China is helping us because we owe so much money , it is obvious, they help to us because they feel as if the Acropolis would be of their domain

Last edited:
I agree with Nikolopoulus.The concept of homeland was introduced in Greece by the monarchy.

I agree with Nikolopoulus.The concept of homeland was introduced in Greece by the monarchy.
This statement is partly correct. The concept of homeland was introduced everywhere in Europe during the early 19th century - it didn't exist before - and has nothing to do with any specific monarchy. It so happened that at the time, post-revolution, newly-formed Greece became shortly a monarchy. For historic reasons, the only nation-building dynasties in the Balkans were, the Petrovic in Montenegro, and the Karadjordje in Serbia.

Last edited:
Dear friend, the concept of homeland was created by the Peace of Westphalia, which ended the war of 100 years, and created the first states in Europe, Greece became a state in the nineteenth century, with its independence, the KIngs were who brought the concept to Greece. They and only they indoctrinated to the Greek society in this concept. first in the militaries and then in the people

This statement is partly correct. The concept of homeland was introduced everywhere in Europe during the early 19th century - it didn't exist before - and has nothing to do with any specific monarchy. It so happened that at the time, post-revolution, newly-formed Greece became shortly a monarchy. For historic reasons, the only nation-building dynasties in the Balkans were, the Petrovic in Montenegro, and the Karadjordje in Serbia.

Dear friend, the concept of homeland was created by the Peace of Westphalia, which ended the war of 100 years, and created the first states in Europe, Greece became a state in the nineteenth century, with its independence, the KIngs were who brought the concept to Greece. They and only they indoctrinated to the Greek society in this concept. first in the militaries and then in the people

Some have argued that the modern ideas of nationalism and nation-states flowed on from the French Revolution, Congress of Vienna, and 1848. But even this can be debated forever and a day. Certainly, the 19th century saw national awakenings in territories ruled by the Austrian, Russian and Ottoman empires.

Remember that only Montenegro and the Mani Peninsula managed to retain any kind of independence in the Ottoman period of the region, due to geography. Parts of Albania and Greece (usually the border areas, under influence of Albanian aristocracy) were hard for them to control, also due to their geography. Also, there was a Greek nobility, that of Phanariote Greeks who were princes in Moldavia and Wallachia (Romania), and you can find their descendants in Romania and elsewhere. Some of whom were among the leaders of the Greek War of Independence too, like the Ypsilantis family.

The Serbs had attempted numerous uprisings, there was also the Karposh rebellion in Kumanovo. These had Austrian support, Austria and Venice had consistently fought the Ottomans for a few centuries- and the Venetian presence in and around Greece (itself derived from the Fourth Crusade- a story in itself) was also significant. In the early 19th century, the Serbs rose against Ottoman rule, and succeeded in re-establishing the Serbian state, giving rise to two rival royal families. The successful Serbian uprising paved the way for similar to happen, including Greece.

Regarding the homeland idea... in Ancient Greece various states exercised hegemonic influence at one time or another: Athens, Sparta, Macedon, etc. The first time Greece was really unified was under the Romans, and the Roman Empire was really a marriage of Greek and Roman civilisations, and then the Byzantine Empire.

With the emergence of nationalism in the 19th century, there was a strong desire amongst intellectuals and politicians to lay claim to territories considered part of ancient homelands. This existed in many newly-emerged nations of the time, including Greece. In Greece this was called the Megali Idea. Although, Greeks for centuries had inhabited other territories claimed. During the reign of George I, they would actually seek to put this into practice.

It might be a miracle or fascinating for once to see a Greek royal marry another Greek. I cannot remember when this last happened. But it certainly would assist to have them marry into their own community instead of outside so systematically and methodically.

I think that it happened only twice in al history of the GRF

- King Alexandros and Aspasia Manou (1919)
- Prince Michael of Greece and Marina Karella (1965)

The two girls of Prince Michel de Grece being both married, the only remaining chances to see a Greek Royal marrying a Greek are Prince Philippos and Princess Theodora.

Last edited:
I would say the chances are reduced to Prince Philippos, I don´t think this future woman would be greek, but I think he could marry a woman from Cyprus, because he has many friends in Cyprus , I have seen pictures of him with his friends of Cyprus. Queen Anne Marie said in one interview that he has very friends of Cyprus, it is true.

Last edited:
If you excuse me, the statement of Filippos is not partly correct, it's an overstatement, hence historically incorrect. In Greece, the idea of the separate nation was born around the time of the French Revolution, the Greek Illuminati that lived in Europe had managed to awaken the nation, offer them education, the basic weapon that helped the Greeks to rise up and fight for their freedom. It was Adamantios Korais, Rigas Ferreos and many others that transferred to Greece the liberal ideas of Voltaire and many more. We now know that Voltaire was translated and taught in the Greek schools before the Greek Revolution. I would recommend to all fellow Greek posters a new informative documentary, "1821". You will see what I mean. King Otto and the Glucksburgs came many decades after the facts I just mentioned in my post. Let's not fool ourselves, these Kings had always been a "foreign body" inside Greece and no matter how dreamy the courtship and wedding of Constantine and Anne-Marie was, straight facts from our own history prove that the Kings did not introduce the concept of the Greek nation in our country.

the first European states were born with peace of Westphalia with it embraced the theorys of Hugo Grotius,,....... create territorial spaces delimited by the border and created the concept of sovereignty, and with it the concept of nation. Voltaire is the later . To be known internationally as a state, must be recognized by another state, and this came to our nation with the monarchy, why do you think was chosen how King of Greece, the son of one danish King Chrisitian ?????? Greece needed of other states that recognized the international status of State, by this was chose to George as King. This is a problem present in Greece with problem of Macedonia as State , Dora Bakoyannis said things logicals when was Minister about the problem of Macedonia, she spoke of this. Pardon my English is not good

Last edited:
At any rate, Greece became a sovereign state more that 30 years before the arrival of the Glucksburgs and before Otto of Bavaria. It did expand significantly under the Glucksburg rule, but the state pre-existed for decades

I think that Filipos is speaking that Greece started to have Embassies in others countries with the King George.

I think that Filipos is speaking that Greece started to have Embassies in others countries with the King George.
This is also incorrect. For instance, Spyridon Trikoupis was minister extraordinary and plenipotentiary to the Court of Saint James well before the arrival of King George I to Greece.

Back
Top Bottom