The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Serene Highness

She will not be Queen of Greece, but this does not prevent her having a moral obligation, when she married Paul, she was aware of it because in the interviews she said that she was learning Greek ...and then???

Old 08-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELTRANEJA View Post
She will not be Queen of Greece, but this does not prevent her having a moral obligation, when she married Paul, she was aware of it because in the interviews she said that she was learning Greek ...and then???
Everyone starts with good intentions and then along the way things change.
It is a pity that the children will not speak the language but then again they will grow away from Greece and may think about Greece as much as
the Greeks think about them.
I always believed that the Greek Royal Family will end with the current King and Queen. Only P Nicholas has shown any interest, the rest treat
the annual vacation as a "must do" for the PR side of it.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Nobility

I think that the Greeks admire Princess Irene and they even had a documentary about her current activities here in Greece and Africa. Then they like Princess Alexia because she is so down to earth, teaching children and having a loving family. Finally Prince Nikolaos "seems" more Greek, not of the way he looks but from his behavior. I believe that if he ever wanted to be a politician many would be convinced to vote for him!!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

You are absolutely correct on all counts.
All I can add is the affection a lot of Greeks have for the Queen.
We received her as a 16 year old princess and she will always remain
for a lot that sweet young fairy tale like figure.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Nobility

Yes, i have never heard a bad word for her, she is lovely, beautiful and regal. I admire her because she stood by her husband all these years, through good and bad times she was there supporting him and raising a wonderful family.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Serene Highness

The other day the Queen Sofia went to Tatoi with her children and grandchildren ... Obviously, she was to teach her grandchildren where she spent her childhood, who were the great-grandparents Paul and Federik and the other.The Journalists say that the Princesses Elena and Cristina planned the travel

They wanted that their children knew about the origins of Grandmother. Now they know it.In the future is possible that they will not be kings nevertheless they will know where is part of their history.
this is a moral obligation.
I don┤t think that Nikolaos will be politician in future.It isn┤t posible

Odette I agree that with Constantine will end a way of thinking, .. this is true, I have no doubt of it
Pavlo and Mc know that they will not be kings .... but I know they go to weddings of royal families in Europe representing to the former Greek royal house. they will be in celebrations because history says they are descendants of the former Greek royal family .. I think this is a reason to learn Greek ...
In Greece the most people not interested the monarchy, even some people criticize their presence in Greece .. but there is a minority that still believes in them, this person are what people want to hear Marie chnatal in Greek when she married Prince Paul in London there were some people who had traveled from Australia to see Paul.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Six months a year? Are you sure about it?
I do believe they have school children who attend classes and they are
not in Greece.
Besides MC is NOT a Greek princess. She married a Greek prince there
is a difference. She only comes to Greece in July or August for a couple
of weeks. Queen Anne Marie came to Greece to become a reigning Queen and among her other duties learning the Greek language was paramount.
MC realises that the chances of her becoming a Queen in Greece are slim to none. I doubt any Greek would hold against her the fact that she did not learn the language.
As a Greek, let me know better dear Odette...What if the children have school classes? She cannot afford a nunny to take care of them?
I said 6 months in avairage. Almost 3 months for summer, and another for easter vacations.
MC is having a career in the fashion with the name "princess Marie Chandal of Greece", not Marie Chandal Miller. Beeing a princess, even in a non reigning family, has some obligations. I said it before: she isn't an american basketball player, who is coming to play for a greek team!!!
And make no mistake: do you realise how shame of her is to meet grrek people at tha country site and cannot speak to them???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELTRANEJA View Post
The other day the Queen Sofia went to Tatoi with her children and grandchildren ...
Yes, i meet the cars going to Tatoi and followed them, but the police didn't let me get any closer...But you see, Queen Sofia, allthought she now considers herself 100% spanish, she never forget her roots.
How can we say the same think in 20 years from now about Pavlos and Marie Chandal's children, if they have nothing "greek" ?
Even infanta Christina speaks greek, i've seen her 2 years ago speaking Greek at Tatoi, at a memorial service!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

One can only follow the family from afar to know they do not spend 6 months a year in Greece. They come for a few days during the summer months. They can most certainly afford nannies and tutors but still
they live abroad and do not speak Greek. This is a fact and what we may
wish or expect them to do is of no consequence.
As we cannot have our cake and eat it too, we cannot tell them that
we do not want a restoration of the Monarchy and expect of them to have any obligation to follow our rules learn our language or come and spend their time in a country that has no desire to see them back as a reigning royal family.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by roimat View Post
Come one, do you realy believe what you are saying??? The language would be a problem only if they were in Greece? But the are in Greece 6 months per year! And, for God, she is a Grrek princess, not an american basketball player in a Greek team!!!

Of course I do - otherwise I wouldn┤t have said it...what do you think anyway?
As far as I know, she┤s not considered a "greek princess" by the majority of the greek people, but only by the royal family. Why should I learn a language I hardly need. I mean, she might know some basics or how to order a coffee in a restaurant. That seems enough for the short time she┤s in Greece (never heard of 6 months! I see her all over the place, mainly in London, but hardly in Greece. All right, 3 weeks for the summer holidays...).
Old 08-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Courtier

As we cannot have our cake and eat it too, we cannot tell them that
we do not want a restoration of the Monarchy and expect of them to have any obligation to follow our rules learn our language or come and spend their time in a country that has no desire to see them back as a reigning royal family.[/quote]

Couldn┤t agree more, Odette! The way most of the greeks treat the Royal Family up to this day is a shame. I wouldn┤t be surprised if the RF didn┤t want to have anything to do with this country at all after all they┤ve been through! The fact they still do shows a lot of their true love of their homecountry and their good character.
That greeks do not attack the Queen is unfortunately also not true: I┤ve read some very, very offending and horrid things being said about her from some greek republicans (go to "you tube"!). This fine family really did deserve a better country...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

The ones who come to Greece regularly and visit old friends are the King and Queen.
The two youngest royal children very rarely visit. As I said before, once the King and Queen pass there will be no ties between the royal family and the Greeks.
I am happy to say that I never go to You Tube and to this day I have not heard anything derogatory about the Queen. I am sure there are people who can find something to say but in general she is loved and respected. She even speaks fluent Greek.
Unfortunately there is not a chance they will ever be welcome back as a royal family.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Serene Highness

Odette, I do not agree ... She is not loved by the Greek journalists in general, she is loved by the Greeks who believe in the monarchy(and journalist), but the rest make derogatory comments about her, on televisions, in newspapers, ... it is horrible .In few years in Greece in some journalist and media have begun to speak of her as the former Queen Anne Marie, they are very few

I do not think that the Royal Family disappear in the future, this will depend Prince Pavlo and Marie chantal ... I do not think that they will reject in future invitations of the Royals Houses of europe , saying "We do not represent any royal house, for please you stop inviting us to your meetings .. "and if it would be,i think that the Royals Houses will invite to Prince Nikolaos or Princess Alexia.
They will understand that Paul has waived it.
I think that with Constantine will end a way of thinking but I don┤t think that end the family...
Old 08-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do Pavlos' children have titles. I don't think I've ever seen it in print before. And if not will King Constantine bestow one on them before he passes?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Aristocracy

I'd like to ask from the non-greek friends here, who most of them have no idea of the greek mentality and tha conection that King Constantine has with his country, not to come up to conclutions that are far away from the true. King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie are treated very well from greek people since they return to Greece, in 2003. The Press is just watching, and of course, not at all offensive to the Queen. Wartenberg probably is speaking about Queen Frederika.
And just to make thinks clear, i'm saying that they Royal Family is always Royal family, reighning or not. If they want to be treated as Royals, they have some obligations. They have to learn the language of their country. I realy don't undertand how many of you in this forum say that they don't have to learn Greek. After all, most of them have nothing else to do all day long!!! Specialy MC! Don't support her ignoranse. < ed Warren > but she must now, even after 14 years of marriage, lern Greek!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

With regard to the above 3 posts please let us distinguish between the journalists who have an agenda to push, depending on the outlet they work for and the Greek Citizens. The sentiments I refer to are those of the Greek citizens.
I was talking about Queen Anne Marie who while Queen and while in exile she never caused any scandals or raised any doubts about her qualitites or commitment to her family.
The second issue is that the royal family as a royal family of Greece will have very limited ties with Greece when the current King & Queen (hopefully in the very distant future) pass. The princess and princessses will still be invited by other royal families but the ties with Greece and the Greeks will fade away.
I happen to be Greek, spend time in Greece every year and have lots of Greek friends and relatives who think for or against the family so I have a pretty good idea about what I am talking about.
The issue with MC is a non issue. She married a prince and she has no
obligation to the Greeks and they have no love lost for her. I am not a fan of hers but let us be fair. She owes us nothing and the feeling is mutual.
There are no nobility titles in Greece. Crown Princes traditionally carried the title of Duke of Sparta. The king has no titles to give his grandchildren. Those of Pavlos are fashioned princes and princess. Those of Alexia carry their father's surname.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
... but she must now, even after 14 years of marriage, lern Greek!
Why?

She knows that there is no chance of the Greek monarch ever being restored so why bother learning a language of a country to which she has no ties.

Her husband might have been born a Crown Prince but now that Crown doesn't exist so any obligations to learn the language of the land of his birth ended when the Greek people and government reomoved the monarchy.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Commoner

I would like to see Pavlos's kids be able to speak Greek and keep in touch with their culture.Truthfully,i don't care if his wife speaks greek or not.His kids will benefit from learning one of the most sophisticated languages of the world.That shouldn't be because of duty to greece but bec. of duty to themselves.Constantine's kids and grandkids can look at him then and say....i did you proud,i will take over,carry on and won't let us fade away.If they don't do so, nobody else will do it for them.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Aristocracy

"There are no nobility titles in Greece. Crown Princes traditionally carried the title of Duke of Sparta"

In these words is obvious that you know nothing about that matter. In the Greek Constitution, even in Parliamentary Monarchy, nobility titles were forbitten to be carried by Greek citizens. As a result of that, the title o Duke of Sparta who was first given at about 1890 at the then Crown Prince Constantine,was taken back after a decitionof the Greek Supripe Court. No Crown Prince of Greece carried that rediculus title.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Why?

She knows that there is no chance of the Greek monarch ever being restored so why bother learning a language of a country to which she has no ties.

Her husband might have been born a Crown Prince but now that Crown doesn't exist so any obligations to learn the language of the land of his birth ended when the Greek people and government reomoved the monarchy.

Is so hard to understand the importance of the language? I'm saying once again: she is not a basketball player,playing for a Greek team no, for a Spanish team tommorow etc.

And the question is: if she feals that she has no ties with Greece or no conection, why she carries the title "Crown Princess of Greece"? Is it nice to call her "your highness" but is not nice to learn Greek?
If you saying that the Crown doesn't exists, they should stop calling themselfes royals and HRH.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
"There are no nobility titles in Greece. Crown Princes traditionally carried the title of Duke of Sparta"

In these words is obvious that you know nothing about that matter. In the Greek Constitution, even in Parliamentary Monarchy, nobility titles were forbitten to be carried by Greek citizens. As a result of that, the title o Duke of Sparta who was first given at about 1890 at the then Crown Prince Constantine,was taken back after a decitionof the Greek Supripe Court. No Crown Prince of Greece carried that rediculus title.
Let us not forget that for starters, the title of the Duke of Sparta was carried by the Diadoch to the Greek throne only abroad. However to this day Prince Pavlos is referred to by this title occasionally even by publications like the Point de Vue.
The second issue is that the Greek Royal family are not Greek citizens. Since 1994 they have Danish passports as descendants of Christian IX of Danemark and although they are excluded from the line of succession they still remain Princes and Princesses of Danemark. They can carry titles since they are not Greek citizens and the country did not bestow these titles to them.
MC's official title is HRH Princess Pavlos of Greece and she will remain that as long as she remains married to Prince Pavlos.
I fail to connect the issue with the athletes who come to Greece for a year or two and play for team A or team B with MC.
According to some statistics there are about 1 million illegal immigrants in Greece who speak the language and calll themselves Giorgos and Eleni. Does this make them more acceptable to the natives or it makes them Greek?