The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Royal Highness

It's absolutely true and I'm going to give you an example:I'm a commoner of byzantine descent(which propably means of greek ancient descent,who knows,nobody can go that far).How can I accept as my king someone of danish-russian-german origin?You see:he's going to be the king while me and the majority of Ellines have 100% greek blood?Forget it...

Old 07-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
It seems to me that the decision should be up to the people of Greece. Whatever the people of Greece decide, the former Greek royal family should accept gracefully. To me, this is the very idea of regal behavior.
The referendum results of 1974 have been accepted by the Royal family when Greeks voted by a large majority to abolish the Monarchy.
The Constitution of 1974 changed Greece to a Democracy.
The issue is that the GRF cannot obtain Greek citizenship since they refuse to adopt a family name by which they would be recognised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakynthi View Post
It's absolutely true and I'm going to give you an example:I'm a commoner of byzantine descent(which propably means of greek ancient descent,who knows,nobody can go that far).How can I accept as my king someone of danish-russian-german origin?
Iakynthi, I understand what you say and accept this as a feeling the majority of the Greeks have. Although I consider myself a monarchist and have great respect for Q Anne Marie and K Constantine, I cannot see a restoration happening.
Someone said that peasants and aristocracy love the monarchy and Greece has neither.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Royal Highness

Hello,Odette!
I want to make clear that I respect every human being,but history has proved that Konstantinos was not a good king.I don't want to go further(these things are already written down),I only want to show to you that greek people have made the right decision.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Everything changes with times and the younger Greeks feel no connection to the GRF. Constantine was 24 when he inherited the throne and was ill prepared to assume this role. Q Frederika was despised by most Greeks and politicians capitalised on this, the rest as you say is history.
I was there when the colonels took over and when they fell and Karamanlis returned from Paris. They were heady times and a lot happenned. Only Greeks who live in Greece have the right to determine what kind of country and leaders they want. Us of the diaspora can think and reminisce and dream but have no rights other that discussing about it. I am happy for the chance to "talk" with you.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks a lot,Odette!
I first thought I was talking with a native American,so it's good to know that you come from Greece.You know more,then.I'm only 27,but I studied many things(including History and Archaeology),that's why I think I have the right to talk about historical facts.Once again,thank you!
Have a nice day!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Native American? No but thanks for your kind words. I am Greek. Age has nothing to do with knowledge and Greece has so much history. The GRF is part of our modern history and it is unfortunate that they are considered foreigners. They speak our language, are part of our faith and love the country. It is sad for them but as you said, the country is progressing and the Greeks are happy with their choices.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Royal Highness

Hello,Odette!
Sorry for being late to answer.I would like you to know that most Greeks don't really care about Pavlos or MC.It's also difficult to find information about them.There are only two magazines,Life & Style and Vogue,that have regular interviews or news about them and we are talking about magazines that only few people usually buy.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hello iakynthi.
The truth is I feel very strongly about the family except for these two. Unfortunately Pavlos may have married a rich lady and I am happy for him but MC was the wrong choice in terms of the status of the GRF.
In reality not much is known about K.C's younger children either. I know P Nikolaos stirs quite an interest when he visits and seems to be well liked.
Like you said, Life & Style and Vogue have information and still they should not be considered a source to learn anything about a true royal.
The GRF is not part of Greece's future and the next in line did nothing to deserve a place in that country.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Altough their 5 children have greek surnames , Pavlos and "bling-bling" Marie-Chantal will never be popular in Greece .
Are they spending their whole month holiday in a B&B ?

If that´s true, I will never understand why! They´re beautiful, didn´t make any scandals, are both working, decent people and have a bunch of wonderful kids! I mean, you cannot blame them for being rich and live their wealth. That´s so stubborn and unfair!
Every country could be happy and proud to have them as their future king and queen!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:15 AM
Aristocracy

wartenberg, as a Greek of 36 years old and royalist, but fair, i know that Pavlos is popular among younger ages, more than his father.
But i think he had mad several mistakes: his wife, 14 years after their marriage, still doesn't speak any Greek. Hell, Queen Anne Marie spent only 3 years in Greece ands speaks the language very nice, Marie Chandal doesn't have the time to learn Greek? She was supposed to be a Queen of Greece!!! And the same is going on with his children. They don't speak greek...and we cannot blaim the children for that. Even infanta Christine speaks a litle of Greek, she took greek courses!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Christina is one of my favorite royals, decent, humble yet proud.

MC is not royal at all in character, she has remained a PAP. But chances of their coming back to Greece were slim I think, but now they are since his marriage non existent.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Aristocracy

Susan, it doesn't matter if her chances coming back are slim or not. She married the crown prince of Greece, even id he is never going to be king. She is obliged to learn Greek!! And learn her children also. After years, we'll have 5 greek princes that will have no idea of speaking greek...this is uacceptable!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Marie Chantal has what she likes , since always I think.. Now she is a RH , she may wear the greek sash and she is wearing an unkown fringe tiara. Their children have greek surnames and are going to Greece for their long holidays.. that's all..
But I am surprised to see at the christening only Constantine siblings and not the Danes or SWB ?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Aristocracy

Maria Olivia, they don't even have Greek surnames. That's a problem, cause the Danish royal family,from whom the Greek Royal Gamily origin, doen's have a name. In Greece the don't use us surnames "Of Bourbon" or "of palma", like in spain. That's why i insist that thw kids 'll have a problem in the future. No greek language, no greek parsports, no greek surname!
I think the Danes had at the same time the birthday anniversary of Prince Consort, that's why they didn't come...
Old 08-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by roimat View Post
Susan, it doesn't matter if her chances coming back are slim or not. She married the crown prince of Greece, even id he is never going to be king. She is obliged to learn Greek!! And learn her children also. After years, we'll have 5 greek princes that will have no idea of speaking greek...this is uacceptable!
Could this behavior prove that they don't even think of the possibility of maybe returning to Greece someday with a more official role?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Aristocracy

I think that, this option is already accepted by the King...but as i said before, that isn't an excuse! Juan Carlos was the grand children of the last King of Spain, and he was in a worse possition that now Pavlos is. But he learned spanish and acted like a spaniard.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with you re the children. But there is some responsablility on his part in the education of his children too. Perhaps it can be said that he is lacking in something characterwise too, just like she is. Perfect match

Quote:
Originally Posted by roimat View Post
Old 08-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Courtier

I agree in the feeling that Pavlos prefered to marry a rich woman instead of insisting on a future wife being interested in Greece. So it´s a bit of his own mistake also. But of course the former Greek royal family is aware that there will be never again a restoration of the monarchy.
By the way roimat: Did you already post your photos on facebook?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Courtier

Pavlos has said in interviews that when he and Marie-Chantal met they learned that they had a lot of similarities. They both came from similar backgrounds, they both had strong family oriented values, both wanted several children, both had stable home lives. In the long-run do you think his marriage would have lasted as lovely/long as it has if he would have married some titled woman that would disgrace himself and his family? Another problem is that he's directly related to several of the current princesses. The Danish, Spanish, and Greek royals are all his first cousins. I know there are alot of nobles out their that he could have married, but so far, Prince Philippe of Belgium has been one of the fortunate ones to get a wonderful noble woman.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

similar backgrounds is a bit strong, I see no similarity with Constantine who married a Danish princess and Mr. and Mrs. Miller. But this subject probably has been discussed before.

I was surprised to hear that the children do not speak Greek, one afternoon a week would have done the trick. Noblesse oblige.