The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 06-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splodger
I think most Royals consider that once a Soverign House, always a Soverign House. So they will consider an ex-King a King and their decendents there after the highest rank held by that family. In most royal events the Count of Paris is accredited as such with the Style HRH even though the monarchy was abolished in France over a hundred years ago. Therefore regardless of the chances of restoration, Constantine and his decendents are the legitimate Royal claiment to a Kingdom of Greece and are likely to be considered and treated as such by their "Royal Colleagues" until such time they no longer wish to be known as such (King Simeon played down his title when he entred Bulgarian politcs) It is also hardley suprising as they are all related anyway and its just one big exclusive club.
I think people are getting confused between the difference in the courtesies extended to former reigning houses among the royal families of Europe, and the legal and diplomatic status accorded to various individuals of royal lineage.

First, the monarchy of the United Kingdom reigns above all others. The Sovereign of Great Britian, as represented by HM the Queen, holds the ultimate fount of honour among all the current European royal families, with the exception of the Imperial House of Romanov and the Danish throne, because every single one of them are descendants of Queen Victoria. As such, it is generally accepted that the Queen decides what style and titles are recognized in the UK, in consultation with the Government, and these determinations are more or less followed by the royal houses of Europe in terms of protocol with each other.

Secondly, regardless of current status, all of the royals, whether currently reigning or not, generally accord each other the appropriate precedence and style of each head of the royal houses as a matter of courtesy. Keep in mind, however, this courtesy of precedence is generally only accorded to the HEAD of the house, their spouse, and their eldest child. The rest of the members of the family are NOT considered royal if they are non-reigning families.

Third, some former royals are officially recognized by their home countries as royal, most notably in France. The heads of the former reigning families of France, HRH the Count de Paris, Duc de France, Prince Napoleon and the dukes of the House of Bourbon are all accorded precedence and recognition by the French Government legally and diplomatically. In Germany, the former royal families are accorded legal recognition of their titles as a surname (i.e. Georg-Freidrich, Prince of Hohenzollern). Prince Ernst-August, Prince of Hanover is recognized by the German Republic as HRH and Prince of the UK as he is a British citizen and member of the British royal family.

King Constantine is considered to be a former Sovereign as he did actually reign in Greece. However, whether he is addressed as His Majesty King of the Hellenes, is a matter of private courtesy, but officially is incorrect.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbette
Doggy style (forgive me but the title begged that response!)
ROTFLMAO! I'm glad you said it and not me! I was a bit perplexed when I first saw the title of the thread, too. Anyway, I didn't have the guts to post a fitting reply! Thanks for the laugh.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 898
Quote:
First, the monarchy of the United Kingdom reigns above all others. The Sovereign of Great Britian, as represented by HM the Queen, holds the ultimate fount of honour among all the current European royal families, with the exception of the Imperial House of Romanov and the Danish throne, because every single one of them are descendants of Queen Victoria. As such, it is generally accepted that the Queen decides what style and titles are recognized in the UK, in consultation with the Government, and these determinations are more or less followed by the royal houses of Europe in terms of protocol with each other.
With the major exception of Spain, where the Casa Real determines its own rules regarding style and titles, and these too change from time-to-time. And the the King accords precedence & recognition to indivuals who would never the see the light of Buckingham palace.


Quote:
Third, some former royals are officially recognized by their home countries as royal, most notably in France. The heads of the former reigning families of France, HRH the Count de Paris, Duc de France, Prince Napoleon and the dukes of the House of Bourbon are all accorded precedence and recognition by the French Government legally and diplomatically. In Germany, the former royal families are accorded legal recognition of their titles as a surname (i.e. Georg-Freidrich, Prince of Hohenzollern). Prince Ernst-August, Prince of Hanover is recognized by the German Republic as HRH and Prince of the UK as he is a British citizen and member of the British royal family.
Titles are not legal in Germany. Thus it isn't legal recognition of the titles themselves per se. Members of the former houses, however, are not prevented from using their title as a part of their last name. For example Diane of Wurrtemberg is actually Diane Herzog von Wurrtemberg (since she takes her husband's 'last name'), but because this sounds silly a blind eye is turned to the feminization of the name to "Herzogin von Wurrtemberg". Maybe this is what you were saying, but it just wasn't clear to me.

Have a great day.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Not Saying, United Kingdom
Posts: 309
Any royal title derives from the consent of the people in question IMO. Thus, the French royal titles that are legally recognized by France are real titles, whereas 'King of the French' is not. I have heard that Comte de Paris is legitimate for this reason, but I wonder if 'Altesse Royal' is also legitimate; I would doubt it.

The difference is clear; Greece does not admit any titles. Therefore it is quite illegitimate for them to use King, Queen or whatever. As a Brit I am all for the pre-eminence of our Sovereign Queen (natch) - but even she cannot grant a title where the people of a foreign country do not recognize it. It is wrong of Buck House to style constantine as a King.

I imagine the goverment of greece has far more problems with the Kingdom of Denmark, however, since they officially and legally style C and A-M as King and Queen of the Hellenes, and A-M has her own major site on the Danish RF site, not as her legitimate title, HRH Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark but as Her Majesty Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes, which of course she ain't.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,731
[QUOTE=Sean.~]With the major exception of Spain, where the Casa Real determines its own rules regarding style and titles, and these too change from time-to-time. And the the King accords precedence & recognition to indivuals who would never the see the light of Buckingham palace.

Juan Carlos holds sovereign precedence after HM the Queen as his reign is younger, however, he actually holds far more real power as Head of State in Spain. He too is a descendant of Queen Victoria through his father's line as is Sophia though her mother's line. In royal terms, HM the Queen holds precedence as the fount of honour for his family as well. However, as King of Spain and Head of State, Juan Carlos retains the fount of honour for his subjects and family, including some of the lines held by the French Bourbons.

You are correct that Juan Carlos grants precedence to individuals such as Maria Vladimirovna of the Imperial House of Romanov, who is not recognized by the House of Windsor in any manner whatsoever. He also has granted titles to questionable individuals (the widow of Baron Thyseen) in return for money or gifts of art to the Spanish state.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-30-2005, 05:31 PM
EmpressRouge's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,293
[QUOTE=branchg]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.~
He too is a descendant of Queen Victoria through his father's line as is Sophia though her mother's line. In royal terms, HM the Queen holds precedence as the fount of honour for his family as well.
Queen Sofia of Spain is a descendant of Queen Victoria on her father's side too. King Paul of the Hellenes was the grandson of Vicky, Princess Royal and Queen Fredericka was Vicky's great-granddaughter, thus making them first cousins once removed.
__________________
Real princesses always wear sleeves so why do we all go for strapless?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 898
Quote:
Juan Carlos holds sovereign precedence after HM the Queen as his reign is younger, however, he actually holds far more real power as Head of State in Spain. He too is a descendant of Queen Victoria through his father's line as is Sophia though her mother's line. In royal terms, HM the Queen holds precedence as the fount of honour for his family as well. However, as King of Spain and Head of State, Juan Carlos retains the fount of honour for his subjects and family, including some of the lines held by the French Bourbons.
Um, I'm already aware of all this, and didn't post anything to the contrary. The fact remains that the Royal House of Spains decides what titles and styles it will bestow/recognize individuals with, and the precedence they receive at the Spanish court. That's what I originally posted. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "fount of honour"". If you mean that the Spanish RF defers to (or must defer to) decisions of 'recognition' by the British Court, then we disagree. Actually, several of the European courts (Sweden, Belgium, Denmark, etc.) recognize individuals that Buckingham palace would not give the time of day to. The Spanish recognize some of the more questionable individuals, IMO.

In any case, non of the courts aret bound by any kind of precedent set by the British Queen. They are all independent of each other and do as they deem fit.


Quote:
You are correct that Juan Carlos grants precedence to individuals such as Maria Vladimirovna of the Imperial House of Romanov, who is not recognized by the House of Windsor in any manner whatsoever. He also has granted titles to questionable individuals (the widow of Baron Thyseen) in return for money or gifts of art to the Spanish state.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 421
Recognition of the Greek royal family by other royal families, in my opinion, is justified, as they're related to the Greek royal family. The Greek royals are perhaps the most extensively married royal family in Europe, and, as they are related to nearly every king and queen in Europe, they're accorded respect. As for Constantine at the court of Denmark and in the Scandinavian countries, he's accorded respect there, likely, as the husband of Anne-Marie.
__________________
The English take the breeding of their horses and dogs more seriously than they do their children- HRH Princess Michael of Kent
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Idriel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: around, France
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.~
Monarchies are more expensive than republics of the same or similar size.
Hi Sean! First I want to say I always love your posts.
I am interested in your point as I have a totally different opinion. What Monarchies are you talking about? Could you please elaborate (details, figures, back-ups)?
Thanks.:)
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-25-2005, 04:48 AM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by grecka
Recognition of the Greek royal family by other royal families, in my opinion, is justified, as they're related to the Greek royal family. The Greek royals are perhaps the most extensively married royal family in Europe, and, as they are related to nearly every king and queen in Europe, they're accorded respect. As for Constantine at the court of Denmark and in the Scandinavian countries, he's accorded respect there, likely, as the husband of Anne-Marie.
I agree with Grecka on this one.

It is also true that each Royal House determines who they recognize and who they do not. Her Majesty the Queen is going to recognize the Greek Royal Family due to her husband and other family ties that go back generations. In many royal circles, Constantine and Anne-Marie are the King and Queen of the Hellenes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 4
Constantine restaured

Hi! I am new here, I am not a royalist, but very much interested in modern history. Got fascinated by the recent history of Constantine and the Greek Royal Family and their involvement in politics/Coup of 1967, argument about their titles, citizenship, ability to visit and stay in Greece, properties and sell of royal artifacts by Christie's. I spent DAYS reading about recent history of Greece, and my conclusion is that is quite unfair, in general what the Greek goverment is doing and has done to the Royal Family. The man TRULY seems to have tryied to stop any possibility of blood bath when he left Greece after the coup. I would have done the same. And that was quite a remarkable action for such a young man. Nobody seems to give him that. I wonder why the Greek public is so fantically against the Royal Family (apart from their unjustified meddling in politics, granted). Would love to hear opinions about this. Thank you very much
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-07-2007, 03:46 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Well, not all the Greek public are 100% against them. Certainly on the smaller islands, Constantine and Anne Marie seem to have respect and loyalty. When I was last in Greece, I found that some people wouldn't discuss them, some got angry at the mention of their names and the older Greeks got excited and told me that they had never stopped being their King and Queen as far as they were concerned. It's a mixed reception.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 4
hey Beatrix! Thank you very much for your prompt response. I've also been to Greece many times, but honestly didnt ask what do they think about their former Royals. I personally met Princess Irene, here in Cape Town, long ago in a charity fonction. She was a very humble and lovely woman. But in any case, I also found that the referedum of 1974 is morally (to be 'soft') UNVALID. They didnt allow the King to go and defend himself. I read that Brazil, got a referendum a couple of years ago to see if their monarchy should be restaured or not, since someone questionned the validity of the monarchy abolished in 1889. The Brazilians went to the polls and, surprisingly, aprx a 23%, even MORE than 100 years after, voted for the restauration. Wonder what would be the percentage if a referendum got place in Greece today.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Plymouth, United States
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well, not all the Greek public are 100% against them. Certainly on the smaller islands, Constantine and Anne Marie seem to have respect and loyalty. When I was last in Greece, I found that some people wouldn't discuss them, some got angry at the mention of their names and the older Greeks got excited and told me that they had never stopped being their King and Queen as far as they were concerned. It's a mixed reception.
I agree. While I have never been to Greece myself, members of my family have as well as many of my friends. I've been told that in some areas it's almost dangerous to bring up the deposed GRF as the public there are very much against them. While in other areas ppl simply shake their heads and are almost reluctant to speak well of the GRF, even if they like them. I have talked to some residents of Greece and it does seem the older people are more pro monarchy (one gentleman even said restoring the monarchy would add much needed "class" to his country) while the younger ppl could care less.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-18-2007, 10:25 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,195
First, the monarchy of the United Kingdom reigns above all others.
[/quote]

Just in the United kingdom that is.Sorry.

And King Constantine can very well still be referred to as HM King Constantine,the referendum was as twisted/corrupted as could possibly be,and Hellas was not recognised for a loooooong time as a republic as a result,especially not by the European Courts.

I never had any problems talking about the Greek Royal family while in Greece,let alone that it was "almost dangerous"to do so,nonsens,some are not really open to it,yes,but then don't forget that the junta,and the subsequent petty spoiled rats in the subsequent governments have done everything within their power to almost errase anything and everything linked to their RF for decades,and more so,trashing and bashing.Small wonder the younger generations don't really care,or better,know what to think.I never miss the chance to explain when there tho,defending them against the brainwashed points of view.

Still,I'm very pleased that whenever the Family,or any member of them,is in Greece they are cheered and warmly welcomed,except for the leftists ofcourse,but then their opposition is nothing more then another matter they just oppose too as that is the thing to do in those circles down there regardless the issue,not because they can find a single,factually correct,argument against the RF.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Daytona's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 112
I dont believe the greek royals have many followers.They have made a foundation(i dont know the english terme,something like friends of the royal regime) and all of the enrolled followers recieve cards from the king and make dinner parties.According to the king there are also politiacians who are followers.I think we are indifferent for the royal family.Most of us dont know where Tatoi palace is.
__________________
There is but only one truly philosophical problem and that is suicide.
Albert Camus
,The myth of Sisyphus
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-18-2007, 06:03 PM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,195
Indifference as opposed to ignorance perhaps.

Tatoi Palace and the RF are part of the Greek history,unless one prefers the black pages of either the junta or those petty leftists in Greece,and the worse ever corruption and incompetence by both the latter two unseen before in Hellas history....oh well,avrio....yamas!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 128
Talking King Constantine II of Greece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
He's not "the King". I really don't understand why people are calling him King Constantine and the King. Greece is a Republic. He's ex-King Constantine if you must use the word 'King' at all.
Frothy,King Constantine II has never signed any instrument of abdication,so therefore,he is still regarded as a king,albeit,a non-reigning one.

As to King Constantine being unpopular in Greece,I believe that he was never given the opportunity to prove himself.If the colonels had not taken over at all,then Greece could possibly be a very well-run country today,not a banana republic that has rampant corruption & active terrorist organisations.He is possibly very unlike his father.

Aidan.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Plymouth, United States
Posts: 1,307
Do you think there is a chance that, in another generation or so (say, when Pavlos is a bit older and if Constantine passes away) there is a chance of restoring the monarchy? After all, by then most of those involved w the coup will be gone and new govt. officials will be in power. Do you think they might be more open to a GRF with Pavlos as King?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Saturn's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Posts: 168
Thankyou for your interesting and informatives posts, Sean.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Ingrid Josefine Danish Royal History 93 08-24-2013 12:47 PM
Royal Quotes (famous ones and/or great ones) Queen Malka Royal Life and Lifestyle 134 07-12-2013 01:22 PM
Why do you like Diana? juliamontague Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 222 12-21-2011 02:40 AM
Interview with Crown Princess Mary by Anne Wolden-Ræthinge; April-May 2004 Chatleen Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family 55 02-07-2011 05:33 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman palace pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince frederik prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]