The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Let's get realistic here. If by some very slim chance King Constantine was to return to Greece as a constitutional monarch he would have no influence whatsoever over the composition of a duly elected government's budget. Nor would he have any influence over the harsh monetary restrictions imposed on the Greek state by the financial powers of the EU.

To believe otherwise is fanciful.
You are absolutely right.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Nobility

A sign in a Republic. I read an article that said monarchies are more democratic than Republics, because the in the monarchies always the republicans are demanding the abolition of the monarchy and a republic is not allowed to monarchicals ask the suppression of the Republic. This is strange but true

Old 02-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

The restoration of Monarchy would be very important for the international image of the country.

On Facebook greek royalists are very active.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Are there any sign of a support for the monarchy from the people?
None, whatsoever. In Greece, there is perhaps a 10-12% of the population that harbors, through family tradition, monarchical values. This percentage is as high as that of the communist parties, cumulatively.
Thus, the likelihood of Greece's becoming a monarchy again is as high as that of developing into a communist regime, that is, negligible.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

The two Greek Republics represent the worst periods of contemporary Greek history.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Nobility

This is curious, this quantity coincides with the possibilities of that the persons(politicians) that are in power today and have ruined the country, they would leave politics
Old 03-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I suppose people understand now it was a big mistake to accept the republic in 1973-1974.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory
I suppose people understand now it was a big mistake to accept the republic in 1973-1974.
Not at all! The fact that most of the politicians the last 30 were thieves does not mean that we should not have a republic.
People in Greece have quite forgotten what was royalty, especially the younger do not have any idea!
Royalty in Greece was never really accepted. The proof that every 20 years they used to chasse the King!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

I suppose all the Greek King were loved by the people even if the comunists'propaganda tried to destroy that popolarity.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I suppose all the Greek King were loved by the people even if the comunists'propaganda tried to destroy that popolarity.
It is more complicated. I thing they rejected the Kings because they did not feel them as really "greeks". They came from foreign countries and they were forbidden from marrying greek brides. People believed that they were serving foreign interest, especially german.Bad coincidence, two german Queens at the time of WWI & II, having Germany as ennemy...
The only princes who married greek women were prince Michail, who married Marina Karella and he gave up to his rights. King Alexander I wed Aspasia Manos, but marriage was only morganatic, without further rights to the thrne.
Nothing to do with communists, the problem existed before.
It is a pitty because King Kostantine II was the most "Greek", but the less lucky!
Interesting coincidence. From his 5 kids, the 3 already wed not Greeks! Last chance to have a droop of greek blood into the GRF are Pcs Theodora and Philippos.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Nobility

It turns out that Greece is one independent State of Turkey because the arms and money was put by foreing countries, is that Greece is not a country economically self-sufficient always has depended of alliances and foreign money to keep her borders, for example after the World War it needed the money from the U.S. to get out of their poverty. It depends of the tourism, foreigners are their primary source of income, it currently is in bankruptcy and needs foreign money to keep going, and sorry to say this, I hope that does not hurt, but what the newspapers say, Greece is the country that has provided less money to the European Union and has received more money. I have a Greek friend that when he speaks of his country, always starts saying it's a autosufciente country, he speaks of blood theories that without the euro, without being part of international organizations, they would be as Monaco, however, for that Greece would be one country self-sufficient it would be located in Central Europe, above the former Yugoslavia, and away from Asian.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIS1983
It turns out that Greece is one independent State of Turkey because the arms and money was put by foreing countries, is that Greece is not a country economically self-sufficient always has depended of alliances and foreign money to keep her borders, for example after the World War it needed the money from the U.S. to get out of their poverty. It depends of the tourism, foreigners are their primary source of income, it currently is in bankruptcy and needs foreign money to keep going, and sorry to say this, I hope that does not hurt, but what the newspapers say, Greece is the country that has provided less money to the European Union and has received more money. I have a Greek friend that when he speaks of his country, always starts saying it's a autosufciente country, he speaks of blood theories that without the euro, without being part of international organizations, they would be as Monaco, however, for that Greece would be one country self-sufficient it would be located in Central Europe, above the former Yugoslavia, and away from Asian.
Most of the European countries rrceived money from USA after the war. It was the Marshall plan. And what is the relation of your theory above (which i wont comment as it is out of topic) with the greek monarchy?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIS1983 View Post
It turns out that Greece is one independent State of Turkey because the arms and money was put by foreing countries, is that Greece is not a country economically self-sufficient always has depended of alliances and foreign money to keep her borders, for example after the World War it needed the money from the U.S. to get out of their poverty.
Many European countries, including the UK, France and other countries that suffered losses (including economical one) during the World War. As fandesacs2003 rightly pointed out, it was The Marshall Plan. The aim of giving aid to European countries was to help their economies and to combat the spread of Soviet communism. A lot of countries heavily depend on tourism - Greece is hardly alone in that respect.

Returning to the topic of this thread, personally I think chances of restoration in Greece are non-existent. Having lived in Greece for over a year, I didn't meat a single Greek who would actually support the restoration. For most of them, Monarchy is something so irrelevant they don't even think or speak about it, and when they do, it's in highly negative terms. The Greek Royal Family wasn't Greek to start with; they are called "Germans", sometimes "Danes" but never Greeks.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Serene Highness

fRANCESAC, Iris has right , Greece is not self-sufficient , for example, Greece was defended by other foreing countries, In Spain history of XV-XVI, in this time, including before of this ages, Spanish Kings sent the army to fight against the Turkish empire in Greece, they controled are area, Miguel of Cervantes, author of Don Quixote, was captain of the Spanish Navy, was on mission in Crete, in one of his battles lost a hand and was captured by the Turks.
He was imprisoned for many years by the Ottoman Empire.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Serene Highness

And the Kings of Aragon, I remember the Queen Sofia last year put a plaque in Acropolis to commemorate the presence of the kings of Aragon in Greece, we speak of XIII.I think it is difficult to restore the monarchy (not impossible) , from an objective point , I believe that Greece would be a country better economic and better image with one parlamentary monarchies to the European but it is only an ideal structure. I do not like the theories of blood, I told it some other time. It is to deny Europe.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Of course many countries fought in this area. But it was in order to stop Turkish expansion and to be strong in the area. They also invaded areas. The knights after Rhodes invaded Malta and Aragon invaded Sicily. This happened very often! But what the relation with the Greek monarchy? In all europe strong countries put inported kings to smaller, but the population did not wanted them. Remember Mexico and King Maximilien!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

I suppose the King of the Hellenes really loves his country and he considers himself really greek.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I suppose the King of the Hellenes really loves his country and he considers himself really greek.
I strongly believe that YES and this is the unfair point of the story. Most of the members of the dynasty adored the country and dedicated their life and actions to. But the failed to persuade, a matter of "bad image making"! Some of them got badly involved to some of the worst pages of the recent history, like Pcs Andrew (Pcs Philip father) with the 1922 catastrophy or King Kostantin with the 1967 dictature.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Nobility

This is not historic, this is now:
Our politicians, Karamanlis and PapandreouS(George Papandreou was not born in Greece) ....have ruined us, we are poorer every day, however there are members in the Greek parliament on the lists of the richest, I want to change but no can because the Republic can not be changed . What is our future?, We have to pay the debt that our politicians did, I do not see better hospitals, airports in Greece but I see politicians richer every day, where is that money? is the Republic, the republic are families in power.... are Papandreous, Karamanlis, simitis..Bakoyannis, mitsotakis... and others. and I can not change this. THIS IS TRUE
Old 03-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef
This is not historic, this is now:
Our politicians, Karamanlis and PapandreouS(George Papandreou was not born in Greece) ....have ruined us, we are poorer every day, however there are members in the Greek parliament on the lists of the richest, I want to change but no can because the Republic can not be changed . What is our future?, We have to pay the debt that our politicians did, I do not see better hospitals, airports in Greece but I see politicians richer every day, where is that money? is the Republic, the republic are families in power.... are Papandreous, Karamanlis, simitis..Bakoyannis, mitsotakis... and others. and I can not change this. THIS IS TRUE
Right! Tragic but correct.