The position of the Royal Family and attitudes to restoration

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have the sympathies increased for King Constantine in Greece?, answer, yes, the sympathies have increased. Why? because he lives in Greece, at a time of crisis in which most of the shipowners have left and put their assets on sale.

But to affirm that,the first step to restore the monarchy is the restoration an ancient private property of the Greek royal family that the Greek government confiscated in 1994 ....

It is totally cruel and opportunist .

*the first step to restore the monarchy in Greece, it is cheap, simple, and it does not need much time,Why do not you ask for the repeal of the 1994 law?(First the persons and then the stones)
The law of 1994, in addition to confiscating all the assets of the Greek Royal Family, on Greek soil, removed the nationality to all members of the family, the King Constantine lives in Greece with a passport borrowed from another country.

The King was born in Greece on June 2, 1940, his parents were Greek, Queen Frederika had a Greek passport, he fulfilled his military duties, and he was Head of State ......

HE IS GREEK, but the law prevents him from having documents.
.( It would not really be the first step..., it would really be, in my opinion, a very good gesture for my country, and I believe, that the Greeks in their majority would not see badly, another matter is the politicians and journalists. I do not think the Greeks opposed it. The first step to restore a monarchy would be that There would be monarchical values in that country, majority. But following the rhythm of the conversation...).
And finally, you could also defend that the palaces would returns to his owner (I think that being abandoned many Greeks would welcome an agreement with the ancient Greek royal family)

I see that in Romania they ask that the palace would be return to the Crown Princess of Romania, I do not see why you do not ask for the same in Greece.

Last edited:
Really ? I was in Athens a couple of months ago (in the end of September to be more precise, on a work trip) and didn't see any expression of public support for the monarchy.

They do not scream it from the top of their lungs and no-one tweets about it,no.But the expressions are there when you talk to Greeks like I did at a concert,restaurants,bookshops etc etc.There certainly is a change of attitude,yes.

if we want to do something for the King and the monarchy, let's take advantage of his sympathy to ask for what is fair, to repeal the law that removed his nationality and his legal personality at 1994. It is a unfair law.

The monarchy ended, as many did, because people were unhappy with the government and the standard of their way of living. It could not get worse than it has been in recent years, so there is a possibility that now, more than any other since the dissolution of the monarchy, the population would be looking for another form of government.

The monarchy ended, as many did, because people were unhappy with the government and the standard of their way of living.

Not true in this case Padams2359.

Totally agree Nikolopoulos!!It was a petty decision by yet an other incompetent Greek government indeed!Time it is under review again and then changed subsequently,yes.

The recent years we have seen Greece on the verge of a total collapse. The state was bankrupt and could only survive on a lifeline from the European Union. All Greeks know it, and all Europeans know it: the Greek state was a dysfunctional state which survived on "free money" because of the unbelievable decision to incorporate this weak, corrupt, kleptocratic economy into the Eurozone and have it embedded in the European monetary system, with all guarantees.

In comparison with the low valued Drachmae (the Greek currency before the Euro), the Greeks suddenly could almost loan "for free" because of being in a strong currency with record-breaking low interest tarifs. Lenders were happy to loan billions to the state, knowing that Greece was part of the European monetary system ("the Germans will pay, no worries").

Even in this situation, with a state rocking on its foundations, without having money in cash to pay pensions, teachers, police officers or the military, even in this complete and unseen anarchy there was no any desire for "let us go back to the good times, get the King back!".

If even in such dramatic situations people prefer Tsipras and his Syriza over the monarchy, then we may conclude: the monarchy will never return.

Last edited:
The recent years we have seen Greece on the verge of a total collapse. The state was bankrupt and could only survive on a lifeline from the European Union. All Greeks know it, and all Europeans know it: the Greek state was a dysfunctional state which survived on "free money" because of the unbelievable decision to incorporate this weak, corrupt, kleptocratic economy into the Eurozone and have it embedded in the European monetary system, with all guarantees.

In comparison with the low valued Drachmae (the Greek currency before the Euro), the Greeks suddenly could almost loan "for free" because of being in a strong currency with record-breaking low interest tarifs. Lenders were happy to loan billions to the state, knowing that Greece was part of the European monetary system ("the Germans will pay, no worries").

Even in this situation, with a state rocking on its foundations, without having money in cash to pay pensions, teachers, police officers or the military, even in this complete and unseen anarchy there was no any desire for "let us go back to the good times, get the King back!".

If even in such dramatic situations people prefer Tsipras and his Syriza over the monarchy, then we may conclude: the monarchy will never return.

Any recent polls about Monarchy or republic?

The attitude towards the King seems less hostile.
It is possible to see a somewhat rehabilitation of a former monarch but still have a republic. One doesn't rule out the other.

Indeed. The Duke of Orléans, the Duke of Braganza, the Prince of Prussia, etc. usually are met with égards and goodwill. Says nothing about any desire to restore the monarchy in France, Portugal or Germany.

Well let's not rule out everything for all of time, nothing is written in stone. Yes attitudes have changed and Greeks have other things on the minds besides a potential restoration. But what matters is that what I keep saying "anything can happen in the future".

For instance the CIA predicted in the early 1970s that the Iranian monarchy would not fall and it did. Who is to say the opposite can't happen in Greece, surprising things can happen and they happen all the time in nations through out the world.

-Frozen Royalist

CIA and predictions... Remember the "Weapons of Mass Destruction" which would be shattered all over Iraq, including Secretary Powell showing "proof" in the UN Security Council?

Of course the CIA did predict the Shah would last. He was their puppet. Predicting the fall of the Shah was predicting that their own project would be a colossal misjudgement, pure fuel to Islamism and anti-Western sentiments.

Greece was the proud host to the world for fabulous Olympic Games. The country looked spic and span. 10 years later it even had no money to pay the teachers or the pensions. Com-ple-te-ly ruined. Gigantic mass unemployment, deep poverty, everything to a cracking standstill. Daily protests and riots in Athens against the arch-corrupt, nepotist and kleptocratic Government.

But even then, when the nation could not sink lower, there was NO call for the monarchy. With other words: when will the Greeks ever call for the King then? Now the country is in upward spiral again. There is a perspective, the deepest lows have been passed. After all this, I do not see any desire to get the president out in return for a royal. Remember that the King was not for nothing dethroned. If the Greeks were happy with him, he would still be their King.

Last edited:
It is possible to see a somewhat rehabilitation of a former monarch but still have a republic. One doesn't rule out the other.

It coukd be only a furst step tiwards something more.

I’ve often wanted to tell this story. I was a private flight attendant flying the king, queen, crown prince and princess to a European royal wedding. When I had to ask the king for his passport he was embarrassed because it was Danish. I swore he was going to cry. He said how can I not be Greek? I was born in Greece I speak Greek it’s in my heart and soul. He said it’s so painful. I was shocked that he was so forthcoming but he was obviously in pain about it. And yes they were reading Greek magazines...

I’ve often wanted to tell this story. I was a private flight attendant flying the king, queen, crown prince and princess to a European royal wedding. When I had to ask the king for his passport he was embarrassed because it was Danish. I swore he was going to cry. He said how can I not be Greek? I was born in Greece I speak Greek it’s in my heart and soul. He said it’s so painful. I was shocked that he was so forthcoming but he was obviously in pain about it. And yes they were reading Greek magazines...

A very good example of how unjust the treatment of H.M and the Royal Family has been on just this issue. As a former head of state, a King and dynast born and raised in Greece, this is a blemish on the Greek state that both could, and should, easily be rectified, at a time when the health of the King is more precarious than before, and when he has relocated home and deserves decent treatment by the government.
As a Prince of Denmark, it is not unreasonable for him to have a Danish passport, but his primary one should be Greek. It is no less than what he deserves, and what is fair, after an early life of service to Greece, and a dreadful and calamitous ousting by powerhungry men five decades ago.

A very good example of how unjust the treatment of H.M and the Royal Family has been on just this issue. As a former head of state, a King and dynast born and raised in Greece, this is a blemish on the Greek state that both could, and should, easily be rectified, at a time when the health of the King is more precarious than before, and when he has relocated home and deserves decent treatment by the government.
As a Prince of Denmark, it is not unreasonable for him to have a Danish passport, but his primary one should be Greek. It is no less than what he deserves, and what is fair, after an early life of service to Greece, and a dreadful and calamitous ousting by powerhungry men five decades ago.

Couldn’t he appeal to the European Court of Human Rights to have his Greek passport back ? Stripping someone of his / her nationality is probably a violation of international human rights conventions,isn’t it ?

Currently there is no international Court that judged the matter of passport or nationality.

The international treaties says that the natural nationality, cannot be deleted (as being born in a territory, or that at the time of his birth parents had Greek passport...)

However, currently there is not an international treaty that create a competent international court on the matter.

Are King Constantine II, Queen Anne-Marie and their children in contact with any Monarchic Association of Greece?

I think that the Greek monarchical movement is very still if compared to the monarchical movements in Portugal, Brazil, Romania, Serbia, Albania or Italy.

I like the work that Prince Nikolaos does in Greece and it turns out that he likes his country, but I don't notice that his brothers are very interested in Greece.

In Greece, monarchical associations are not allowed.
The King does not support any monarchical association and no Association represents him, or his family ... and I think that is better.
I see that many monarchical associations confuse political ideologies with monarchy, it is not good to monarchy.
Prince Nikolaos lives and works in Greece, and Axion hellas, which is the solidarity organization with which he collaborates, has an impressive project, I admire him and these types of organizations.
The rest of the children work and live abroad. I can't fault them, because it wouldn't be fair.

Greece was the proud host to the world for fabulous Olympic Games. The country looked spic and span. 10 years later it even had no money to pay the teachers or the pensions. Com-ple-te-ly ruined. Gigantic mass unemployment, deep poverty, everything to a cracking standstill. Daily protests and riots in Athens against the arch-corrupt, nepotist and kleptocratic Government.

But even then, when the nation could not sink lower, there was NO call for the monarchy. With other words: when will the Greeks ever call for the King? Now the country is in upward spiral again. There is a perspective, the deepest lows have been passed. After all this, I do not see any desire to get the president out in return for a royal. Remember that the King was not for nothing dethroned. If the Greeks were happy with him, he would still be their King.

Given that Pavlos and his family behave on SM as a third rate version of the Kardashians, I doubt the people of Greece want anything to do with them.

Given that Pavlos and his family behave on SM as a third rate version of the Kardashians, I doubt the people of Greece want anything to do with them.

I doubt that do the people of Greece actually know Pavlos and his family or not given that the family even does not live in Greece (probably they know Constantine and A-M as their last king and queen).

The Royal Family lived outside Greece for many years and were unable to recover any of their ancient heritage. It was only a few years ago that Queen Anne-Marie and King Constantine (now deceased) were able to return to live in Greece, as well as Prince Nilolaos and Princess Tatiana. Crown Prince Pavlos also spends more time in Greece, but Marie Chantal has little connection with her country. It is obvious that the Greek royal family does not have the same involvement and position in Greece that other non-reigning royal families such as the Romanian, Bulgarian, Serbian or Portuguese have. In fact, the Greek royal family is never invited to any important event in Greece.
Despite this we have to admit that the population of Greece is still curious about them and even has some support, we can see this at King Constantine's funeral with hundreds of people in the streets and many also went to pay tribute.
I'm sorry that they didn't return the Tatoi Palace to the Greek royal family, certainly if they had returned the palace it would be in good hands and well preserved.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom