The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Aristocracy

Well, let's face the reality. I'm a royalist. But Greece has many many other and more important problems at this time to solve. Restoration is out or the question. Not because i wouldn't like to see Greece again as a Kingdom, but because we've lost valuable time since 1974. The King is already 70 years old, an Crown Prince Pavlos doesn't seem to care about his title more than the Fashion. We only want to be able to see the Greek Royal Family to be treated as all the Royal Families, reigning or not. Respectfully and politely, as a part of Greek History. Not in the way they treat them till now the Greek politicians...

Old 07-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by roimat View Post
But Greece has many many other and more important problems at this time to solve. Restoration is out or the question
-Not in the way they treat them till now the Greek politicians...
That's what i'm talking about.Finally.
Nobody said that they're not part of Greece's History.And it's not only the Greek politicians that treat them disrespectfully but also the press.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Aristocracy

I would fully agree that King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie are part of Greece's history and only a fanatic would defy that. History cannot be wiped off whether we like it or not.
Thus, I feel that they should be treated exactly like former Presidents of the Republic and they deserve to be receiving pensions like former presidents BUT all that only under condition that they accept the Constitution, adopt a surname of their choice and become Greek Nationals.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

In Romania King Mihai I was given a Palace in Bucharest to live and receives a pension.
I don't understant the anger against King Konstantinos of some politicians.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Nobility

^ In this case Greek people should pay taxes in order to maintain the Palace and its condition.And to pay the household of course.I can't imagine Constantine and Anna Maria living by themselves in it.Plus,the Palace they used to live is a Presidential residence today (in Athens).The whole thing with them concerns financial issues.It is the way Greeks handled this case Cory you have to understand and accept it.I have never though of the perspective of giving them pension though,you both made a very interesting point here.I guess their 4 million compensation gave an end to all speculations about what could have happened,but it would make sence if they were given pension.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I know there are greeks who still hope for the return of the Monarchy.A tiny minority?Even before the return on the Throne of George II in 1935 bobody would have said Monarchy will come back.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Nobility

Yes of course,there is a minority (not that tiny but small) of hardcore monarchists and i'm not against that of course.That's the beauty of dialogue you have to listen everyone.It wasn't Constantine's fault 100% what happened,it is just the way things worked in Greece then.Difficult political circumstances and the one brought the other.I always say that Anna Maria and Marie Chantal deserved a better luck.The one came here very young ready to rule,and the other is blammed of her denial to be more ''Greek'' when Greeks don't want them.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

How many greeks are in favour of Monarchy?10%?20%?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Aristocracy

Anne-Marie was truly unlucky and it is a shame because the Greeks liked her and, I believe, no one holds any grudges against her. In fact, many people are still very sympathetic with her. Insofar as the wife of prince Paul is concerned, she is not blamed for anything. She is just of no interest to the Greeks nor is her husband.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

I suppose greeks like more prince Nikolaos than Prince Pavlos anyway.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaha Karatsokaros View Post
Anne-Marie was truly unlucky and it is a shame because the Greeks liked her and, I believe, no one holds any grudges against her. In fact, many people are still very sympathetic with her. Insofar as the wife of prince Paul is concerned, she is not blamed for anything. She is just of no interest to the Greeks nor is her husband.
I fully agree with everything.As for MC i've heard people wondering about her and her kids if they speak Greek,why she gives only Greek names to her kids and what she wants to prove with that since she doesn't speak the language and she doesn't live here (i know the reason,but i'm just mentioning).I've heard people blamming her indirectly and i think it's unfair.
Cory i don't know the exact percentage but 10-20% is way to much,i think it's less.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

When there was the referendum I suppose Monarchy got more than 30 %.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:21 AM
Nobility

Maybe,but i have to search for that in order to tell you.I was born in 1985 and all i know if from books and old papers.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Last century Greece changes different times between Monarchy and Republic.The same can happen even in this century.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
When there was the referendum I suppose Monarchy got more than 30 %.
According to the greek version of Wikipedia, 69,18% of those who went to vote , voted in favour of the Uncrowned Democracy and 30,82% in favour of the Crowned Democracy. Out of the whole number of registered voters , 75,51% went to vote.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

If there were more than 30% at the referendum even today there must be at least 20%.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Which are the feelings of the greeks towards Monarchy and Royal Family after the wedding of Prince Nikolaos?
Old 08-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Commoner

The referendum was 36 years ago, and the last time there was a de facto king in Greece was in 1967. People under 43 weren't even born then. That's an awful lot of voters for whom monarchy is just irrelevant. And many of the older people who were old enough back in the 60's to remember ... well, in my experience & judging from my own parents & their friends (moderate monarchists back then), they just don't trust the royal family to put the country's good ahead of their own.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Which are the feelings of the greeks towards Monarchy and Royal Family after the wedding of Prince Nikolaos?
Since you know, based on your quantitative guess above, even the percentages, why are you asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avgi View Post
The referendum was 36 years ago, and the last time there was a de facto king in Greece was in 1967. People under 43 weren't even born then. That's an awful lot of voters for whom monarchy is just irrelevant. And many of the older people who were old enough back in the 60's to remember ... well, in my experience & judging from my own parents & their friends (moderate monarchists back then), they just don't trust the royal family to put the country's good ahead of their own.
Your remarks are logical. It is guesstimated that about 10% of the people are still favotable toward the monarchy. Some people are still tied to the past. This is the reason that explains that Greece is the the only European country that has a Stalinist Communist Party amounting to some 7-8% of the popular vote.
So, based on this premise alone, one should expect another 10%+ to be in favor of the monarchy, for reasons of intra-family tradition alone.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

I noticed the enthusiam toward the royal wedding and the respect paid by the orthodox clergy and by the people to King Konstantinos IInd the Royal Family.