The Monarchy in Greece

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree any restoration is unlikely, rather like political and economic stability in the nation has historically been.

As for Constantine and his family not being Greek after 150 years, that does seem like a rather childish argument, but if that is what the Greeks and their government believe then perhaps in this Olympic season they should ask the IOC to reclassify his Olympic gold medal as belonging to Denmark and not Greece.

Well they're not ethnically Greek and no amount of time can change that. To call some Greek people's opinions on this childish just because they don't agree with your opinions is a poor way to debate the issue. I was just stating what Greek immigrant friends have told me. And guess what, they probably don't care about his medal either. Because you know they're just childish like that.:whistling:

Well if your family had lived in a country for 150 years don't you think you have the right to call yourself a citizen of that country and to feel a part of the country where you were born and raised and educated?

As for his medal, while I was beiing sarcastic, the "Greeks" certainly seemed proud enough of the accomplishment in 1960 and none of them seem to have being denying his Greekness back then.

I think with that way of reasoning very few royals would be left to rule. I think the first anscestor of the Queen of the Netherlands who was Dutch was Johanna van Polanen (1392-1445).

:previous:
But the difference is, the Dutch, British, Swedish people accept and largely love their royal families, whatever their ancestry. Greek people do not.
They don't want restoration, there is absolutely no movement behind it, and the royals are simply not popular.

Now, Monarchies in Serbia, Romania, Montenegro - they could be restored because the (former) royals do have presence in and support of the country. Greek one though, there is about as much chance as United States deciding to tear up Declaration of Independence and becoming British colony again.

Last edited:
Why should they even think of restoration, especially now, when the country faces far more prevailing and important problems? And what should there be a restoration at all? Personally, I am a supporter of current constitutional monarchies, but that's most definitely not the only system that works. Just how would restoration in Greece help solving any of the problems the country is facing?

That's exactly the core of the issue! It's exactly what politicians in the east-european republican countries want for the people to think or to believe. There are always far more important issues for the country (economical, social and so on) to discuss about, monarchy is anyway history... how on Earth could a restoration of a monarchy solve them?!
Indeed, how could it...
They forget on purpose to tell the people of the constitutional neutral role of the monarch, a person that puts the national interest always above other interests. Which is just what Greece is missing. Without this monarch who could limit a bit the politicians thirst for power (and corruption), Greece will definitely have no better chance in escaping the huge crisis they are into.
We are not speaking just of an economic crisis, but of a moral crisis as well. I think the problem is much more deeper. A nation should have someone who can unite the people, not dividing them, manipulating them, like the politicians do.

The corruption of the political class, with interests foreign than those of the greek people, common people, has lead to this situation. And we are speaking here of a situation which has lasted and evolved for 40 years now. 40 years full of anti-monarchist propaganda. Don't you wonder why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparisons are odious, and when used to attack someone who is supposed to be of the same condition are more odious. The difference between Romania and Serbia with greece are the "presence". The treatment that the authorities of the Republic have given to the members of the former royales families. And I think the probability of restoring a monarchy is the same, the future is uncertain and no one can say how people will think in the future, however at present it is obvious that the treatment is very different . I think that the monarchy state is more democratic that one Republic, because the democratic is based in idea of the option, in the states with monarchies can be defensed the ideal of change the structure of the State, (are the parties with Republican ideology). but in the republics , can not be . option?

Last edited:
That's exactly the core of the issue! It's exactly what politicians in the east-european republican countries want for the people to think or to believe. There are always far more important issues for the country (economical, social and so on) to discuss about, monarchy is anyway history... how on Earth could a restoration of a monarchy solve them?!
Indeed, how could it...
They forget on purpose to tell the people of the constitutional neutral role of the monarch, a person that puts the national interest always above other interests. Which is just what Greece is missing. Without this monarch who could limit a bit the politicians thirst for power (and corruption), Greece will definitely have no better chance in escaping the huge crisis they are into.
We are not speaking just of an economic crisis, but of a moral crisis as well. I think the problem is much more deeper. A nation should have someone who can unite the people, not dividing them, manipulating them, like the politicians do.

The corruption of the political class, with interests foreign than those of the greek people, common people, has lead to this situation. And we are speaking here of a situation which has lasted and evolved for 40 years now. 40 years full of anti-monarchist propaganda. Don't you wonder why?

Spain faces the same chaos, I don't see why Juan Carlos alone wasn't able to protect them (false argument in reply to your shallow account of the situation).;) My point: every country is different, meaning the people are different, and what works best for one country doesn't work at all for another. The Greek people don't accept titles, the concept of the monarchy is just not for them. Do not forget where true democracy came from: the ancient state of Athens. :flowers:

For your information, many members of the former dynasty were great haters of the Greeks. Remember King George II, who stated he felt 100% British and refused to relate to anything Greek? Just one example.
The 'anti-monarchist propaganda' sounds like a joke... you can't brainwash anyone, when the obvious is before them. It's there, before everyone's eyes - it doesn't even require special historical research/study.
And that comes from someone, who visits Athens and Crete regularly, and who also happens to be half-Cypriot Greek. ;)

Last edited:
The word democracy was born in Greece, but not democracy. In ancient Greece, there was slavery, and the woman was regarded as an object, she had no opinion and could not participated in public affairs. The Democracy begins in late eighteenth century, with the recognition of the rights of the people, but actually appears in the twentieth century with the recognition of women's right to subfrage.King Juan Carlos I travelled saudi arabia and managed that the King of that country grant the works of construction of the high speed line to a Spanish public company and has made similar agreements with Russia and other countries of subamerica. Spanish public companies are not ruined by the work of King, this is just one of many other functions of King. The king is not one Economic Minister , King is not the government of the nation, ,the problem of public debt is one problem politician and economic. King does a great job in getting the Spanish public company are not ruined. It is very relevant because it are incomes for State in one moment of crisis, very relevant.

Last edited:
:previous:
But the difference is, the Dutch, British, Swedish people accept and largely love their royal families, whatever their ancestry. Greek people do not.
They don't want restoration, there is absolutely no movement behind it, and the royals are simply not popular.

Now, Monarchies in Serbia, Romania, Montenegro - they could be restored because the (former) royals do have presence in and support of the country. Greek one though, there is about as much chance as United States to tear up Declaration of Independence and becoming British colony again.

I am not privy to real reason for the abolishment of the Greek monarchy, but suffice it to state that even the thought of restoring that monarchy is totally ridiculous. A restored monarchy in Greece will not stabilize the country. There are situations that present themselves that we will never really fully understand. Tell CP Marie-Chantal to donate her trust fund to kickstart Greece's economy! They really are not even Greek-the family is descended from Danish King Christian IX, whose son was placed at the head of the Greek monarchy in the mid-1800's.

I think the monarchy is stabilizing, only insofar that the RF themselves are stable and solid and don't start drama and messes in their families. At this point in time though, the GRF should count their blessings and just enjoy life.

The word democracy was born in Greece, but not democracy. In ancient Greece, there was slavery, and the woman was regarded as an object, she had no opinion and could not participated in public affairs.

Hi Beltraneja! I saw your post just now and thus I apologise for the late reply. I will go off topic, but I really need to clarify a few points. A common mistake is to judge these ancient times through a Christian prism. It is not your fault, 90% of what is written about ancient Greece and its values is filtered through a Christian angle, unfortunately. It is sad that most academicians were/are not able to approach that era sufficiently and with an open-mind. Friedrich Nietzsche was a brilliant exception and also Goethe has some great hints in his work, AFAIK.

That being said, I have to emphasize a few points here: 'Slavery' in A.G. was a complicated matter. Their status even differed from city-state to city-state, thus I'm not going to elaborate on this. I will only point out that the Greek lords did not treat their slaves badly or unfairly, they did not punish them, they did not torture them and a slave had the right to take his lord to the court if he felt that he was treated unfairly. Perhaps we shouldn't even call it 'slavery', these people were rather servants and were treated with respect in most cases. An example could be the pedagogue, a slave that held a special position, who accompanied his lord's son(s) to the school, back and forth. The pedagogue had the right to advise and even admonish the children or hit them occasionally with the pandybat he was carrying. As you can see, 'slavery' in A.G. had nothing to do with slavery in other parts of the ancient world or in medieval Europe or in the US.

Regarding the position of women, your wording alone indicates confusion. The word 'object' came up in history during the prevalence of christianity in Europe ('res' in Latin). In Athens and other cities, women were seen as the Ladies of the House. It was a cultural thing, in other words. Their priorities and business were different than those of the men, they cared about their household, their children and themselves (their appearance, for example). Women really shouldn't worry about anything else. Once again, they were NOT treated badly by their men, but with full respect as spouses and mothers of their children. They could appear in public, but accompanied by men, usually by an important slave, like the pedagogue. Propriety and modesty were the keys. ;) In Sparta women were free to exercise and even participate in some public affairs. Again, their status differed from city-state to city-state.

I will even dare say that, if the ancient Greek values were thoroughly understood and finally prevailed upon Europe against the Christian dogma and values, we would never reach such a sad point. One can find hundreds of historical books on these matters out there, but not all of the authors have captured the quintessence of the ancient Greek world, their notion and values.

Regarding the restoration of the monarchy in modern Greece, this is out of the question, as I had said. I will only state that I agree with the posters above, and particularly with NotHRH and Artemisia. :flowers:

Last edited:
Is Greece the Last European Country to date to abolish it monarchy in Europe?

Also to reply to what someone said on the first page, It is sad to see when it a Country loses it monarchy and the Family loses the throne but it depends on the country and why it being abolished.

Some countries are better without it.

Its too bad that power tripping is so divisive. In a modern monarchy, there is a recognition that the exercise of power for longterm stability should be a muted expression.

I would like to know what circumstances exactly brought about the downfall of the current ex-king.

It seems that the first king (of Danish origin) knew his leadership was of a tenuous nature, and went to great lengths to learn about his new country, and had an outstandingly successful result. His reign seems to have run into problems, because he was shot. Why ?
The King of the Hellenes sworn in militants to government as his ministers and prime-minister, after a coup d'etat, having as a result many men to be excilled to dry islands and be made to suffer torture for their own values. The notorious dictator proclaimed himself "President of the Republic" after the King had been scared off into excille. The downfall of the junta concluded a referendum on keeping of the monarchy which failed.

Given the economic turmoil that Greece is in I believe a restoration of the Monarchy in Greece is far from the thoughts of the ordinary citizens!

A restoration of the Greek Monarchy is about as likely as the Irish Republic becoming one.

The thing is that,for most Greeks, the decades after 1974 have been the best years Greece has ever seen (this has of course stopped now but that's a very long and painful discussion :whistling:). And I am not just talking about money here - political stability was established , society became more free and open minded and less judging, the immigration declined etc. In short , Monarchy on the other hand , is considered as part of " the pre-1974 Greece " history, which is viewed as a "worse Greece" than the one we have today. Restoration is more or less considered as turning back the clock to worse days even by Greeks who do not have strong feelings for the royals.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KZlDcyrzUY0/UAil7QqbhHI/AAAAAAAAFbU/39qTUUfEqUE/s1600/scan0005.jpg

The 100th anniversary of the Greek Monarchy
Back row: Prince Peter of Greece, Princess Alice of Greece, Berthold, Margrave of Baden, Crown Prince Harald of Norway, Princess Sophie of Greece, King Paul of the Hellenes, King Frederik IX of Denmark, Princess Anne Marie of Denmark, Crown Prince Constantine of the Hellenes, Crown Princess Margrethe of Denmark, Prince Georg Wilhelm of Hanover, Prince Michael of Greece
Middle row: Margarita Princess of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, Princess Eugenie of Greece, Princess Irene, Duchess of Aosta, Princess Paul of Yugoslavia (Olga of Greece), Queen Frederika of the Hellenes, Queen Ingrid of Denmark, Queen Helen of Romania, Lady Katherine Brandram (Princess Katherine of Greece), Princess Theodora, Markgravine of Baden, Princess Georg Wilhelm of Hanover (Sophie)
Front row: Prince Ludwig of Baden, Prince George Andrew Radziwill, Princess Tatiana Radziwill, Count Hans Toerring-Jettenbach, Princess Irene of Greece, Prince Karl of Hesse, Princess Benedikte of Denmark, Prince Max of Baden (this photo appeared in The Inheritors of Alexander the Great. The original photo was provided by Princess Tatiana, who also provided the key.)

The Greek and Danish royal families gather to celebrate the cententary of the Greek monarchy in 1963.

Great Thanks for this picture !
Was the King of Greece already ill ?

The monarchy in Greece has no any future. After WWII no any West-European state has been so failed, so shaken on its' foundations as Greece since 2008, going totally bankrupt thanks to an unbelievable mismanagement, nepotism, corruptism, neglect and with a circle of kleptocrat families ruling the country in total disorder.

Still, despite the total fail of the country and the extreme tumbledown in progress, development and wealth, there are no any calls for another system, for a modernization of the state, for a modern Scandinavian-style monarchy. No any voice. If even Greece, in the deepest turmoil since WWII, has no any appeal for the return of the monarchy, then it will never happen again. The momentum has totally gone.

At the same time I must say that King Constantine and his family have done nothing at all to encourage support for the monarchy. I miss the zest, the commitment, the willpower. Where in Portugal and Romania the Duke of Bragança resp. King Mihai enjoy a semi-official status and where in Bulgaria the former King even became Prime Minister...., and where even in mighty Russia Maria Vladimirovna has a semi-official status: in Greece nothing of all this. So the answer on the Mother-Of-All-Questions: Will Greece ever be a monarchy again? is: no. Constantine has lost his own throne, also by his own poor handling of situations and he is not able to keep his interests on the foreground. His children seem not intersted at all. That is my personal impression.

Last edited:
I wish Greece to restore its monarchy. I know it's hard it happen.
I think the Greeks should consider alternatives to improve their situation, and King Constantine should have a greater role in Greece, rarely appears ...
Does the Greek Royal Family, including kings and princes heirs are interested in a possible restoration of the monarchy?

I wish Greece to restore its monarchy. I know it's hard it happen.
I think the Greeks should consider alternatives to improve their situation, and King Constantine should have a greater role in Greece, rarely appears ...
Does the Greek Royal Family, including kings and princes heirs are interested in a possible restoration of the monarchy?

I have seen facebook posts dedicated to nice jewels and in some of them Queen Frederika (the mother of King Constantine of the Hellenes and Queen Sofía of Spain) featured. Jesus... a flood of negative comments and vitriol came from mainly Greek posters....

:ermm:

So forget any restoration of the Greek monarchy. Even in the darkest hours of Greece, the nation to a standstill, on the verge of a bankruptcy and with hopeless incompetent politicians, there was no any, not the smallest, call for a monarchy.

I wonder if the lack of any future restoration of the monarchy in Greece is due to it being so relatively 'new' and made up from the first King who was a Bavarian Prince 'elected' King due to his fathers support to Greece in its fight for independence.
Compared to many other monarchies 140 years isn't that long and a RF made up of largely foreign royals isn't something that many people probably feel able to support.

Well, to a certain extent all monarchies have wed foreigners, making the royal family looking foreign. Look at the Nassau family in the Netherlands. Since their entry in the Netherlands in 1403 only Anne d'Egmont (first spouse of Willem I of Nassau), Henriëtte d'Oultremont de Wégimont (second spouse of the already abdicated Willem I of the Netherlands) were the exceptions on marrying foreigners until Pieter van Vollenhoven in 1967. Greece was not different in that. Even in Britain the royal family is often depicted as "a bunch of Germans"...

True but I think there is a difference between marrying foreigners and starting a new monarchy by bringing in a foreign prince and calling him King of Greece. Constantine marrying a Danish Princess is not, IMO, an issue, the real issue is the first King of Greece being a completely foreign prince bought in to rule over another country.

My Greek friends loathe the very memory of Queen Frederika, whose meddling in politics cost her son, and his throne very dear.
They also have little time for King Constantine 'the weak' , contrasting his failure to stand up to the 'Generals', [most unfavourably] with the conduct of his brother-in-law of Spain, in similar circumstance.

Last edited:
Well, to a certain extent all monarchies have wed foreigners, making the royal family looking foreign. Look at the Nassau family in the Netherlands. Since their entry in the Netherlands in 1403 only Anne d'Egmont (first spouse of Willem I of Nassau), Henriëtte d'Oultremont de Wégimont (second spouse of the already abdicated Willem I of the Netherlands) were the exceptions on marrying foreigners until Pieter van Vollenhoven in 1967. Greece was not different in that. Even in Britain the royal family is often depicted as "a bunch of Germans"...

In Sweden, Victoria marrying Daniel was the first time a main-line member of the Royal family married a Swede (and kept their Royal status) since Johan III married Gunilla Bielke in 1584 and in Denmark it hasn't happened since the 1800s when the tangled web that was the House of Oldenburg and its Augustenborg and Glücksborg branches frequently intermarried with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Interesting...all them (Victoria, Maddie, Carl Phillip) married commoners...2 Swedes and 1 dual citizenship (American and I think England).

I think that will become more and more the norm. I doubt we will see 2 royals/ruling families marry each other again for a long time.

LaRae

Interesting...all them (Victoria, Maddie, Carl Phillip) married commoners...2 Swedes and 1 dual citizenship (American and I think England).

I think that will become more and more the norm. I doubt we will see 2 royals/ruling families marry each other again for a long time.

LaRae

It is the norm - the only current European heir that married another Royal is Alois of Liechtenstein while the current heirs to the thrones of UK & Luxembourg both married ladies from the higher nobility. Looking at the current heads of state we see that only in the UK is the spouse of the monarch a fellow Royal while the monarchs of Belgium, Liechtenstein & Denmark all married someone from the nobility (although Prince Henric's noble title proved to be of a somewhat dubious origin).

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

With the note that Stéphanie de Lannoy comes from an old and prestigious family. It is not only about titles: one has to look beyond. Already in the 14th C the De Lannoys belonged to the highest nobility and 16 of them have become a Knight in the Order of the Golden Fleece. Amongst the royal families one has to look hard for a royal dynasty with the same number of Knights...

Emperor Charles V made them Reichsgrafen in 1526. As the De Lannoys have received their Letters Patent from the Emperor himself, they belong to what is called the "gefürstete Grafen" and so considered to belong to the Hochadel. Stéphanie is not "just" the Countess-next-door... ;)

The Nassau - De Lannoy wedding in 2012 was not unique as already in 1551 Willem I of Nassau, Prince of Orange married Anne d'Egmont and so became a son-in-law to Françoise de Lannoy, at that moment probably the wealthiest lady in the whole of the Low Countries being the Dowager Countess d'Egmont.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom