Royal Family Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yvr girl

Nobility
I know that the Queen's full name is: Anne-Marie Dagmar Ingrid. I have never been able to find out if the rest of the family have middle names. It's hard to believe that they wouldn't - royalty always seems to have several middle names. Does anyone have any information?

They don't have any middle names because they are orthodox.That's why Prince Philip of England only has one name, which is Philip.(obviously :rolleyes: )

Our King has only one name:Konstantine

according to the greek tradition as rightly said before we name babiew only with one name usually of their Grand Father or grand Mother's if its a girl.In case we love our ancestors :heart: and they are many,we may name babies with two names just to honor them all!!The late fashion in Greece is that we give one name from the bible and one from our Ancient Greek Tradition!

:flower:

Princess SOFIA
King KONSTANTINOS
Princess IRENE

Princess ALEXIA
Crown Prince PAVLOS
Prince NIKOLAOS
Princess THEODORA
Prince PHILIPPOS

But...
Princess MARIA OLIMPIA
Prince KONSTANTINOS ALEXIOS
Prince ACHILEAS-ANDREAS

Not true. Pavlos' children have one name, but it is hyphenated.

Maria-Olympia
Constantine-Alexios
Achilleas-Andreas

Those are each one name because of the hyphen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your answers. It seemed strange to me, because royalty always seems to have multiple names. But now I understand, that it is tradition.

I think it has more to do with the Orthodox faith, rather than any family tradition. I don't think any of the Orthodox royals (Bulgaria, Russia, Romania, Yugoslavia, Greece, Montenegro, there may be some I've missed) have more than one name, thought Russians have patronymics.

I think that Russians,Bulgarians,Serbians and Montenegrin have patronyms because it is their tradition!But when they call their King they call it by His name and not Patronym!Ex:King Alexandar and not King Karageorgevich...The same with Czar It was Czar Nikolay Ftaroy(second)never Romanov.They call the dynasty the greater Family Romanov....Today,in Bulgaria oposition calls King Symeon with his Patronym(Saxkoburg)but he is involved in Politics as Premier.....

Saxecoburggotski is Simeon's dynasty or family name. His patronymic would involve his father's given name. It would be something like Simeon Borisovich (the Russian version of "son of Boris").

Nikolai II's name and patronymic was Nikolai Alexandrovich. His regnal name may have been Nikolai Ftoray, but Ftoray did not become his patronymic.

He has never been known officially as Konstantinos-Alexios. Only as Constantine-Alexios. If they named him K-A, surely they would call him that.
I don't know where they got M-O, and A-A's names from. If they gave an interview explaining it, I never saw it.

Well pointed out - patronymic is not accustomed among Slavs apart from Russia and a few former Soviet republics/states. Monarchs in Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria...etc. are referred to by title and first name, or full name - i.e. HRH King Alexandar Karadjordjevic ... In which case Karadjordjevic would be a family name/ last name/ surname - not a patronymic.

When Konstantinos-Alexios was born, that is how his name was announced when he was shown to the public and baptised. Am I the only one who remembers this? Why would they name him Constantine-Alexios, when his grandfathers name is really spelled the greek way: KONSTANTINOS?? His name is spelled Konstantinos (grandfather Konstantinos) - ALEXIOS (aunt Alexia?)......

I think it goes like that: KONSTANTINE means constant-stable

ALEXIOS means easy to move -flexible

They are both of byzantine origin!It is to honor Princes Alexia(aunt)...

MARIA - the name comes from Bible is the Mother of Jesus
OLYMPIA - is the place where ancient greece cosetrated in Peace for Olympic
Games or means the girl who lives in Olympos,so... Devine ???...

ACHILLEAS - was the Ancient king of Pylos - (Troy : :lol: )
ANDREAS - was son of King George-Prince Andreas of Greece..I hope Iam right! If Iam wrong please corect me!!

Officially, in Greece there are Patronyms.E.g:We say Sakis Pouvas touGianni,but for our Royals No because they all are recognisable by name!

Bulgarian opposition calls Symeon .Saxkomburga.Opponents also.Fans call him Symeon -at least in Sadanski(town I was last weekend) :innocent:

The patronyms are used by the most of slavian nations instead of use of the family name when they decided that the word Gospodin(sir) was too Borzoi and replace it with the word "Tavarish".So, family names was not even mentioned!That is to vanish all the old Russian family names from everyday's life!!

Originally posted by chanel@Jun 6th, 2004 - 7:23 pm
When Konstantinos-Alexios was born, that is how his name was announced when he was shown to the public and baptised. Am I the only one who remembers this? Why would they name him Constantine-Alexios, when his grandfathers name is really spelled the greek way: KONSTANTINOS?? His name is spelled Konstantinos (grandfather Konstantinos) - ALEXIOS (aunt Alexia?)......
They list him as Constantine-Alexios with their official announcements. If they actually named him Konstantinos-Alexios (on his birth certificate) they should call him that. They may translate his name whenever the mood strikes them, (they certainly change Achilleas -- MC calls him Achille (the French way)), but that would only be something MC and Pavlos do, because KIIR's kids are known by their Greek names rather than the English equivalent.

I would like to know the correct way to right the names of the Greek Royal Family, please.

Thanks in advance.

One mistake everybody does is The Name of Our King:KONSTANTINOS is His Majestys Name...Of cource in English it is Constantine but I dont like the abreviations of it!!In modern greek there is not letter C. KΩΝΣΤΑΝΤΙΝΟΣ Β΄' ΒΑΣΙΛΕΥΣ ΤΩΝ ΕΛΛΗΝΩΝ.

Katalaves?Helinokotati? ;)

If Constantine made it a point to refer to himself as Konstantinos, I'm sure everyone else would, too. But he calls himself Constantine when he speaks to English language media, so he's allowed, and possibly even encouraged, the use of the English version.

Ok, but I would like to know the right way to wright the greek names...

How do we should wright in Greek the names:

Constantine
Sophie
Anne
Mary
Elizabeth
Paul
Philipp
Andrew
Alexander
etc...

...using of course the latin alphabet...

Thanks in advance...

The English say:

King Juan Carlos I of Spain, not King John Charles I;
Queen Beatrix I of the Netherlands, not Queen Beatrice I;
Queen Paola of the Belgians (she is Italian), no Queen Paula;
Crown Prince Felipe of Spain, not Crown Prince Philipp;
Crown Prince Philippe of Belgium, not Crown Prince Philipp;

So, we must say
King Konstantinos II of the Hellenes, not Constantine;
Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece, not Crown Prince Paul (I heard in an interview Queen Anna-Maria saying 'Pavlos' and not 'Paul');
etc.

What's the difference between Alexandros and Alexios and Alexandra and Alexia?

Konstantinos

Sofia
Anna?
Maria
Elisabet?
Pavlos
Philippos
Andreas?
Alexandros

Originally posted by helleniki@Jun 12th, 2004 - 9:52 pm
They all mean "helper/defender of mankind". They are versions of that.

Check this page to see the relationships. You'll have to scroll down to get to them.

Constantine calls himself Constantine in the English language media, so that's what the media refers to him as. If he never switched from using the Greek version, the media wouldn't have, either.

Out of respect, the media refers to a person the way they refer to themselves. Juan Carlos calls himself Juan Carlos in the English press, so the press calls him that. The same thing with all the other royals you listed. Ironically, the Spanish press translates everyone's names into Spanish, regardless of the royal's personal preference.

Pavlos is rarely referred to as Paul in the English media. But the French press translates his whole family's names into the French versions.

Originally posted by helleniki@Jun 12th, 2004 - 10:52 pm
Alex-andros Alexios they are close and the mean almost the same thing only the first one is oldest than the second...I think the second id more used in Byzantine Era.They mean Fast,flexible clever man

The Alexandra and Alexia is the feminine type of the before mentioned names,but I think they mean in the first case The woman who has an- alex /man-(Iam not sure).As for Alexia Iam sure that means fast-flexible -clever and stands derectly to the woman who carries the name...

Maybe Iam wrong because this- Alex-also fits to Alexisfairos,Alex-i-keraynos ,Alexyperos,something to protect protektor,but again from this comes the latin _Alegro_ :wacko:

OK!I finally decided that it is all together!!!!When my amcestors made a language they developed it so much,so it is not easy for us to control it!! :woot:

Originally posted by kelly9480+Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:18 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kelly9480 @ Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:18 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-helleniki@Jun 12th, 2004 - 9:52 pm
They all mean "helper/defender of mankind". They are versions of that.

Check this page to see the relationships. You'll have to scroll down to get to them. [/b][/quote]
Go to Acricius-Ακρισιος(Α-στερητικο +κριση) the one who has no judgement(structural interpretation)go to your link and see what it means

Also:prince NICKOLAOS OF GREECE ,THEODORA OF GREECE,PHILIPPOS OF GREECE complete names no shortcuts.....

Do you prounounce Constantine like Clementine or like the beginning of teenager?

I've heard "teen" in the American and British press, and Constantine hasn't corrected the person saying it that way.

Alexios- Alexia was the beloved name of our late Queen Frederiki,that is why Her Grand Daughter Princess Alexia was named after Her wish!

So, she wrote in Her Book,(Mesure of understanting) that the names Alexandros ,Alexandra and Alexios,Alexia are irrelevant.Alexios means "who protects from evil"so Alexia the femine type. Our Queen WAS AND IS RIGHT!

So, I was completely wrong!I confused the first synthetic(root) Alex(protect)with alke-Alkimos (flexible e.t.c) So,Alexandros is the one who protects his men and Alexios 'who protect from evil!!

Josephine nonews for your name!You remain Biblic! :woot: :flower:

I've heard him pronounce the name Constantine as in Clementine, although I think the "teen" pronunciation sounds better.

Originally posted by samitude@Jun 14th, 2004 - 10:01 am
I've heard him pronounce the name Constantine as in Clementine, although I think the "teen" pronunciation sounds better.
Then how you pronounce the Kostantjine??People will confuse the name with the Duch princes one!You've herd wrong dear!

Only H.M The Queen of England calls my King "Tino"as I've hered!

I read an interview with HM where he said that family called him Tino. I can see the BRF calling him Tino as well as the SRF and the DRF. I'm sure he is Uncle Tino to his nieces and nephews.

Princippessa is Italian. You can be a 'Duchessa', 'Contessa', 'Baronessa' or something else and sometimes be called a Principessa as well or instead of your actual title. I think Italian titles were sort of out lawed in the 50's or 60's but came back. I'm not sure if distinctions in the heirarchy matter so much like in the old days. If you are an Italian noblewoman you may be called a 'Princippessa' out of respect and flattery even if it's not strickly your title (think). It's just a hangover from Rome meaning woman of high status ~principle citizen ~ in the feminine sence.

Just to be a pest and add to the discussion - in the UK we do not always translate names into English because there is no real English translation because it is made up from so many different languages. Therefore variations of name are so common and un-uniformed we often pronounce their name by their native toung. There are exceptions such as I have read P.Philip being called Philippos before his naturalisation in the UK.

As for Greek and Russian translations into English, it is directly impossible beacuse they use different alphabets so their is no offical correct translation. It is based on individule phonetic translation. I have seen K.Constantine called Constantine, Konstantine, Konstanios, Konstantinos, Constantino etc etc (and Constantine alone pronounced Constan-teen and Constan-tye-n) and Romanov spelt Romanoff.

Basicaly, no one is write or wrong in how they spell the Greek Royal Families names in English. In most published texts the King is Constantine, but as the English 'C' and 'K' are both pronounced the same as the Greek 'K' it is easy to see how variations are created.

Ive forgotten how i got started on this now... i think i am ramberling... Kalaneekta Moro Mou

Back
Top Bottom