Royal Family Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well it seems they have tried to translate the names but have eventually mixed up the languages. because if they had totally translated them they would be :
*Mary-Olympia
*Constantine-Alexios (you can't turn it into Alexis. only Alexius, according to the Roman transformation)
*Achilles- Andrew
*Odysseus- Kimon

However, i don't understand it either. are they trying to keep the greek pronunciation? or what?

PS. It's KON-STAN-TINE (like clementine) if you look it up at a dictionary..

PS 2 Alexandros-a derive from the greek verb alekso (αλέξω) which means
repulse (it also means shield). So they are the ones who repulse man/men (andras). Alexios is a name used at the Byzantine era. it derives from the same verb but it's rather the defender or the helper.

in addition,
Philippos is the one who likes/loves (v. philo) horses (sing. ippos )
Sophia (and not sofia, as greek words in the english language are written with PH) means wisdom.
Theodora means gifted/granted (v. doroumai) by God (Theos)
Constantine means the stable one. it's latin. the equivalent greek name is Eystathios.
Eirini is the greek word for peace.
the rest of them refer to saints of the christian church (nikolaos, pavlos).

Last edited by a moderator:
Eirini is the greek word for peace.

You did an excellent job.
As for Eirini, while the spelling is closer to the Greek Ειρήνη, it creates a major problem with pronunciation. Unless one uses the pure English equivalent, Irene, a good way to help a non-Greek pronounce it correctly [the Greek way, that is] is to spell it as Yriny. In fact, many historians have used this form in reference to both, King Constantine's youngest sister, princess Yriny and King Paul's sister, the late princess Yriny, Duchess of Aosta.

ALL other greek royals have NO greek blood in them whatsoever. They are German and Danish.

And Russian to some extent, by Queen Olga (who herself was half of germanic anchestry :D)

Full names of the Kings of Greece

Does anyone know the full names of the kings of Greece? Queen Sophia of Spain appears to have multiple names. Her full name is Sophia Margaret Victoria Frederica (Σοφία Μαργαρίτα Βικτωρία Φρειδερίκη). So, I suppose that other members of the Greek royal family will have more than one name as well. Does anyone know the full name of King Constantine II? Or any of his predecessors?

Wikipedia doesn't say anything about multiple names. Not even the Greek version (although I must say that I can only read Greek, not speak it).

In fact, apart from Queen Sophia of Spain, the only Greek monarch of which his other names are on Wikipedia, is King George I of Greece. His full name was Christian William Ferdinand Adolphus George (Χριστιανός Γουλιέλμος Φερδινάνδος Αδόλφος Γεώργιος).

Last edited:
King George I of the Hellenes was Prince Christian William Ferdinald Adolphus of Danemark, before he was sent to Greece to reign as King.
Greek Kings (Greeks in general) only have one name given to them at Baptism. Nowdays some Greeks may have two names, but it is unusual.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't put too much stock in what Wikipedia says about Sofia's names. Wikipedia also lists her daughter Cristina as having five names, while the official site for the Spanish royals only lists two. Princess Olga has two names, and Pavlos' children have a single, though hyphenated, given name. Otherwise, it seems that the Greeks have one name.

Yes,Kelly.We usually have one name and one surname.
I've noticed that the female names of the GRF are usually christian (only Maria-Olympia's half name is ancient Greek).I would love to see more ancient Greek female names in the future,like Athina,Afroditi,Iokasti,Danai,Artemis etc.They are much more beautiful IMO.

Alexios I Komnenos was the byzantine emperor from 1081 to 1118.

In fact, apart from Queen Sophia of Spain, the only Greek monarch of which his other names are on Wikipedia, is King George I of Greece. His full name was Christian William Ferdinand Adolphus George (Χριστιανός Γουλιέλμος Φερδινάνδος Αδόλφος Γεώργιος).
He was born Prince William of some German principlality, whose father became King of Denmark, so he would have several names...I assume that lter Greek royals followed the tradition of only have one name...

Back
Top Bottom