The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Gentry

What's the difference between Alexandros and Alexios and Alexandra and Alexia?

Old 06-13-2004, 01:15 AM
Courtier

Konstantinos

Sofia
Anna?
Maria
Elisabet?
Pavlos
Philippos
Andreas?
Alexandros

Old 06-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by helleniki@Jun 12th, 2004 - 9:52 pm
They all mean "helper/defender of mankind". They are versions of that.

Check this page to see the relationships. You'll have to scroll down to get to them.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:22 AM
Courtier

Constantine calls himself Constantine in the English language media, so that's what the media refers to him as. If he never switched from using the Greek version, the media wouldn't have, either.

Out of respect, the media refers to a person the way they refer to themselves. Juan Carlos calls himself Juan Carlos in the English press, so the press calls him that. The same thing with all the other royals you listed. Ironically, the Spanish press translates everyone's names into Spanish, regardless of the royal's personal preference.

Pavlos is rarely referred to as Paul in the English media. But the French press translates his whole family's names into the French versions.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:04 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by helleniki@Jun 12th, 2004 - 10:52 pm
Alex-andros Alexios they are close and the mean almost the same thing only the first one is oldest than the second...I think the second id more used in Byzantine Era.They mean Fast,flexible clever man

The Alexandra and Alexia is the feminine type of the before mentioned names,but I think they mean in the first case The woman who has an- alex /man-(Iam not sure).As for Alexia Iam sure that means fast-flexible -clever and stands derectly to the woman who carries the name...

Maybe Iam wrong because this- Alex-also fits to Alexisfairos,Alex-i-keraynos ,Alexyperos,something to protect protektor,but again from this comes the latin _Alegro_

OK!I finally decided that it is all together!!!!When my amcestors made a language they developed it so much,so it is not easy for us to control it!! :woot:
Old 06-13-2004, 07:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by kelly9480+Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:18 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kelly9480 @ Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:18 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-helleniki@Jun 12th, 2004 - 9:52 pm
What&#39;s the difference between Alexandros and Alexios and Alexandra and Alexia?
They all mean "helper/defender of mankind". They are versions of that.

Check this page to see the relationships. You&#39;ll have to scroll down to get to them. [/b][/quote]
Go to Acricius-Ακρισιος(Α-στερητικο +κριση) the one who has no judgement(structural interpretation)go to your link and see what it means
Old 06-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Gentry

Also:Prince NICKOLAOS OF GREECE ,THEODORA OF GREECE,PHILIPPOS OF GREECE complete names no shortcuts.....
Old 06-13-2004, 06:43 PM
Gentry

Do you prounounce Constantine like Clementine or like the beginning of teenager?
Old 06-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Courtier

I&#39;ve heard "teen" in the American and British press, and Constantine hasn&#39;t corrected the person saying it that way.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:38 AM
Aristocracy

Alexios- Alexia was the beloved name of our late Queen Frederiki,that is why Her Grand Daughter Princess Alexia was named after Her wish&#33;

So, she wrote in Her Book,(Mesure of understanting) that the names Alexandros ,Alexandra and Alexios,Alexia are irrelevant.Alexios means "who protects from evil"so Alexia the femine type. Our Queen WAS AND IS RIGHT&#33;

So, I was completely wrong&#33;I confused the first synthetic(root) Alex(protect)with alke-Alkimos (flexible e.t.c) So,Alexandros is the one who protects his men and Alexios &#39;who protect from evil&#33;&#33;

Josephine nonews for your name&#33;You remain Biblic&#33; :woot: :flower:
Old 06-14-2004, 11:01 AM
Courtier

I&#39;ve heard him pronounce the name Constantine as in Clementine, although I think the "teen" pronunciation sounds better.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by samitude@Jun 14th, 2004 - 10:01 am
I&#39;ve heard him pronounce the name Constantine as in Clementine, although I think the "teen" pronunciation sounds better.
Then how you pronounce the Kostantjine??People will confuse the name with the Duch princes one&#33;You&#39;ve herd wrong dear&#33;

Only H.M The Queen of England calls my King "Tino"as I&#39;ve hered&#33;
Old 06-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Nobility

I read an interview with HM where he said that family called him Tino. I can see the BRF calling him Tino as well as the SRF and the DRF. I&#39;m sure he is Uncle Tino to his nieces and nephews.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Courtier

Prince William is said to call him "Uncle Tino".
Old 06-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Commoner

Princippessa is Italian. You can be a &#39;Duchessa&#39;, &#39;Contessa&#39;, &#39;Baronessa&#39; or something else and sometimes be called a Principessa as well or instead of your actual title. I think Italian titles were sort of out lawed in the 50&#39;s or 60&#39;s but came back. I&#39;m not sure if distinctions in the heirarchy matter so much like in the old days. If you are an Italian noblewoman you may be called a &#39;Princippessa&#39; out of respect and flattery even if it&#39;s not strickly your title (think). It&#39;s just a hangover from Rome meaning woman of high status ~principle citizen ~ in the feminine sence.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Aristocracy

Just to be a pest and add to the discussion - in the UK we do not always translate names into English because there is no real English translation because it is made up from so many different languages. Therefore variations of name are so common and un-uniformed we often pronounce their name by their native toung. There are exceptions such as I have read P.Philip being called Philippos before his naturalisation in the UK.

As for Greek and Russian translations into English, it is directly impossible beacuse they use different alphabets so their is no offical correct translation. It is based on individule phonetic translation. I have seen K.Constantine called Constantine, Konstantine, Konstanios, Konstantinos, Constantino etc etc (and Constantine alone pronounced Constan-teen and Constan-tye-n) and Romanov spelt Romanoff.

Basicaly, no one is write or wrong in how they spell the Greek Royal Families names in English. In most published texts the King is Constantine, but as the English &#39;C&#39; and &#39;K&#39; are both pronounced the same as the Greek &#39;K&#39; it is easy to see how variations are created.

Ive forgotten how i got started on this now... i think i am ramberling... Kalaneekta Moro Mou
Old 06-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Gentry

How can we say Friedericke in Greek? Is Frederiki the right way?
Old 06-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Aristocracy

In French , Constantine is a girl name ...
The boy name is Constantin (pronounce it ConstantIN , not Constantine (like "teen" ) at the end ... but like the word "train" IN FRENCH pronounciation )
Old 06-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by helleniki@Jun 17th, 2004 - 5:11 pm
How can we say Friedericke in Greek? Is Frederiki the right way?
Α.Μ ΒΑΣΙΛΙΣΣΑ Φ Ρ Ε Ι Δ Ε Ρ Ι Κ Η thus F R E E T H E R E K E E...
Old 06-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by kil@Jun 18th, 2004 - 4:09 pm
In French , Constantine is a girl name ...
The boy name is Constantin (pronounce it ConstantIN , not Constantine (like "teen" ) at the end ... but like the word "train" IN FRENCH pronounciation )
Καποιος με δουλευει.....και θα τον παρει Φτου κυριε τω στοματι μου&#33;&#33;&#33;