Royal Family Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In French , Constantine is a girl name ...
The boy name is Constantin (pronounce it ConstantIN , not Constantine (like "teen" ) at the end ... but like the word "train" IN FRENCH pronounciation ;) )

Originally posted by helleniki@Jun 17th, 2004 - 5:11 pm
How can we say Friedericke in Greek? Is Frederiki the right way?
Α.Μ ΒΑΣΙΛΙΣΣΑ Φ Ρ Ε Ι Δ Ε Ρ Ι Κ Η thus F R E E T H E R E K E E...

Originally posted by kil@Jun 18th, 2004 - 4:09 pm
In French , Constantine is a girl name ...
The boy name is Constantin (pronounce it ConstantIN , not Constantine (like "teen" ) at the end ... but like the word "train" IN FRENCH pronounciation ;) )
Καποιος με δουλευει.....και θα τον παρει Φτου κυριε τω στοματι μου!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you translate please ?? :blink: :p

La version femmenine de nome Constantine a francais est Constance(je crois)N'est pas??

The Masculine version of Constance is CONSTANT !

But the feminine version of Constantin is CONSTANTINE in French ;)

As far as my poor education permits I say that Alexandros means the one who protects his men(in Battle) Alexandra the one who protects her man ;) as for Alexios the "one who protects from evil"

"Constantin English Variant of Constantine: Steady, stable. Male"

Baby Names Starting with C, page 9

So according to this page, there is no real difference.

The site also says

"Constance Latin To be knowledgeable. Female"
"Constant English Variant of Constantine: Steady, stable. Male"

So Constance and Constant have two different meanings, but Constant means the same thing as Constantin and Constantine.

Phillippos? or Philippos? Or even Phillipos which is it? Can someone show us in Greek?

p.s. there is probably no way to put chanel in greek is there? just curious!!!

I think Sophie would be Sophia in Greek and not Sofia as there is no f in greek, I think.
Could somebody from Greece write all the names of the greek Royals in Greek Letters??
Julia

I heard Larry King interview His Majesty last year and called him King Constantine with a line i sound and His Majesty never corrected him.

He is called King Constantine II of Greece and then sometimes Hellenes.

There are instances where Greek Royals go by the certain pronunciations of their names....Lady Katherine Brandram, born as HRH Princess Ekaterini,is an example.

REMEMBER THOUGH!!!!!!!

Only Princess Alexandra, past Queen of Yugoslavia, was the only royal ever born with actual Greek blood. Her mother was Aspasia Minos.

ALL other greek royals have NO greek blood in them whatsoever. They are German and Danish.

With all the respect My Lord - I think you are wrong!!They all come from Trinidad & Tobago,and other Carribean Islands....Aspasia Manos was borned in Bolivia region Nueva Sparta and later mooved to T&T because their parents were greek originated Sea Sponge pickers from the heroic island of Karpathos Greece! So, They are all Trinidat-o-Tobacians with Greek Blood carrying Greek traditions through out the world!!!:D

Hi Cuervo,

No, I think you may be mistaken. I have researched very carefully and read many historical books on the Greek Royal Family.

The modern day monarchy stems from a prince of Denmark, William the son of Christan IX...he was chosen by the greeks to become their new king in 1863 as George I at age 17. There is also Russian due to the fact George I's wife was Grand Duchess Olga of Russia. Going through the Greek Royal Family line...they married into the Prussian Royal Family with Princess Sophie - Sister of Kaiser Wilhelm II, marrying George's son Constantine I. Ex King Constantine is II because they follow the modern day Greek monarchy starting from 1863.

Heck, the family name of the Greek Royal Family is:

The name is Oldenburg and the branch is Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. In 1862 King Otto of the House of Wittelsbach was deposed. In 1863 Prince Vilhelm of Denmark, second son of King Christian IX was appointed King of the Hellenes.

I interviewed Prince Pavlos in New York and he himself confirmed there is not a drop of Greek blood in the Royal family with the exception of Princess Alexandra, born to Aspasia Manos and King Alexander of Greece. Aspasia was born daughter of Colonel Petros Manos of Greece.

Please check your facts. I invite debate and friendly discussions and encourge them, but my statements from before are all 100% factual. Look them up on the internet or read them in books.

It is generally accepted/acknowleged that Aspasia Manos and Princess Alexandra (later Queen of Yugoslavia) are the only memebers of the Greek royal family w/ Greek blood. In Born to Rule: Five Reigning Consorts, Granddaughters of Queen Victoria,it mentions that Aspasia Manos came from one of the most distinguished Greek families of the time.

But it's not necessarily true that Aspasia and Alexandra are the only ethnic Greeks. If you consider Michael's daughters to be members of the RF, then they have ethnic Greek blood as well, through their mother, Marina. Of course, they have no rights to the throne because of the marriage of their parents, but they may still be considered members of the family.

kelly9480 said:
But it's not necessarily true that Aspasia and Alexandra are the only ethnic Greeks. If you consider Michael's daughters to be members of the RF, then they have ethnic Greek blood as well, through their mother, Marina. Of course, they have no rights to the throne because of the marriage of their parents, but they may still be considered members of the family.
Sorry, my bad. I guess I was thinking of only immediate royal family/those born before the 1967 coup.

No problem. I've talked to some people who don't consider the daughters to be members of the RF because the marriage wasn't approved, so this truly depends on whether a person sees them as part of the RF. I personally tend to define the RF as Constantine, his immediate family, Irene, and possibly Lady Katherine, but that may be because I usually forget Michael and his brood exist.

I went to my local bookstore to get a copy of the book, and they had sold out, so I have it on order right now. Should arrive in a week or so. I thumbed through it once, and it looked interesting. She's a fascinating character, and there's so much nonsense surrounding her life.

You will like the book....it is really interesting...so many turns in her life, some very tragic such as her two daughters dying before her....some really happy, her son growing up stable for the most part and marrying QEII.

You should also check out "Victoria's Daughters"...not sure who the author is.

I read Victoria's Daughters last summer and thought it was great. Some parts were hilarious, like the description of Victoria after Albert's death as "deranged". And it gave me a lot more info than I had previously read. I'm looking forward to reading the new book about George III's daughters next.

His Lordship said:
You will like the book....it is really interesting...so many turns in her life, some very tragic such as her two daughters dying before her....some really happy, her son growing up stable for the most part and marrying QEII.

You should also check out "Victoria's Daughters"...not sure who the author is.

Is that the one by Jerrold Packard? I thought it was very interesting. I also read the Princess Alice book last year and was fascinated by it; she really did lead quite a unique life. Unfortunately I've just moved house, and I have no clue where most of my books are at the moment - probably still in boxes in the basement.

Yes, thank you Elspeth..I believe that is the author.....fascinating insight on how Victoria and Albert raised their children...and the amount of control Victoria had over her children, sons-in-law, and grandchildren's lives.....

I was in Borders and there is a new book on the six granddaughters of Victoria who became queens...Ena of Spain and Marie of Romania being two....I was looking through it...looks really good.

I've just ordered that one - fortunately it arrived after I moved so I have some idea where it is. It's interesting how interconnected so many of the royal families are; I'm still trying to get hold of a copy of the Royal Family book about King Christian IX of Denmark and his children who entered so many of the other royal families including the Greek one.

Hi Elspeth,

Do you know the name of that book which is about Christian IX's children? That would be fascinating to read. They called him the grandfather of Europe. So many of his relatives currently sit on the remaining thrones.

It's called A Royal Family and is the companion book to a TV series. It's a Danish series, but the book is available in English (or at least it was available a while back) through Majesty magazine. I've been hoping it or a DVD of the series will show up at Amazon one of these days.

Here's the official site:

http://www.dr.dk/aroyalfamily/forside.html

It's amazing how whenever anyone tries to trace the bloodlines of two royals, they are almost always safe to say they are descended from either Queen Victoria or Christian IX or both (in some cases multiple times).

Could somebody from Greece write the names of the members of the Greek Royal Family in Greek letters for me????
Please!!!!
Julia

The names in Greek: Κωνσταντινος ,constantine Αννα-Μαρια Παυλος,pavlos Αλεξια ,alexia Νικολαος ,nikolaos Θεοδωρα,theodora Φιλλιπος,phillipos

a small correction!

In greek, name Phillip is "Φιλιππος" (by two p no two l) and on ι the tone.;)

What about Marina for a Greek name? I still think Princess Marina of Kent was one of the most beautiful in modern times.

Children's Names

The GRF's website lists Pavlos and MC's children as:
*Maria-Olympia, b New York 1996
*Constantine Alexios, b New York 1998
*Achileas-Andreas, b New York 2000
*Odusseas-Kimon, b London 2004

Why are the spellings of their oldest and youngest boys different? Weren't they previous always listed as Konstantinos Alexios and Odysseas-Kimon? I always figured that their oldest boy was Konstantinos Alexios, which is the Greek form of his name. Why did the mix languages? Why not just Anglicize the whole thing and call him Constantine Alexis? I suppose I COULD understand the Konstantinos/Constantine, but isn't Odysseas' name always spelled with a Y and not the U?

Back
Top Bottom