The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 03-09-2006, 05:15 AM
Piaa's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Melbourne, Benin
Posts: 124
Going back to stephenie's comment about the relationship between Alexia and MC being non-existant.....why would she then put MC as the godmother to her child????
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Somewhere in Germany, Germany
Posts: 746
Why MC is godmother of little Carlos

Because it´s properly to show no personal differences in public - and because Alexia might have a good relationship to her brother Pavlos. In fact MC will have almost no contact to her godson during the year. (And both Alexia and MC know that....) It´s just an honorary title or so. Or do you think Prince Charles, godfather of Olympia, looks after her regularly?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Somewhere in Germany, Germany
Posts: 746
continue 3

As you notice in the meantime this theme is one of my favourites. One word to the poster who claimed I hate Alexia: I´m used to Alexia since she was born in 1965. I was born in 1960 and my mother was a fan of reading yellow press. Alexia, her mother and Queen Sirikit of Thailand were possibly one of the most photographed persons of the sixties. Both Alexia and me had to leave our homecountries/aera for some reasons and I can imagine that she had/has difficulties to keep her identity. To be "Princess of Greece" but left Greece at the age of only two must cause some irritations and she had to find her place in the world.This might in my opinion be one reason, why the children of former King Konstantin (with the exception of Pavlos) had/will have problems to find f.i. partners who fit into the family. (Look at the former Persian Pahlevis, none of the children, w.t.e.o. Reza Cyrus ever married. Leyla even committed suicide!) Looks as if it´s specially difficult for the female members of those families to find an appropriate partner. Of course it might be a cliché but when Alexia suddenly came along with that Carlos I was put in some alert. I´m very sure she fell in love with him immediately - he´s got in my opinion some fantastic charme and she, i.m.o. not used to be flattered by such an attractive man, was killed by it (or how you say that in English - my mothers language is German) Konstantin can´t afford having children-in-law he has to support, he wants them to bring money into the family and this is i.m.o. one reason why he isn´t too enthusiastic about Carlos. But in the end he had to leave the decision to Alexia and she decided to marry Carlos, with all the consequences she might know and married him still. I always wonder what Cristina´s opinion might had been when she found out that both are going to marry. I wonder what she thinks about Carlos....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie
Funny that you never see f.i. Theodora visiting her sister and do some baby-sitting. (I know, both Th. and Ph. study in the United States but there are holidays and Lanzarote is a really attractive place to do some vacation.)
There are also a lot of other attractive places to holiday for young twentysomethings. Also, Phillippos was so busy with school that he could not even attend his cousin Frederik or Felipe's May 2004 weddings -- both of whom will be Kings of their respective countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie
Haven´t seen her father-in-law since the wedding in 1999! Next time he appeared was Carlos´christening in 2005....(and I´m very sure he´s simply NO say f.i. with Constantine...)
What does "NO say f.i. with Constantine" mean? Did you ever consider that the Morales family is simply very private and avoids the spotlight? And if Mr. Morales is sick, the last thing he would be doing is seeking the spotlight. Furthermore, neither Alexia nor Carlos seem to seek the spotlight, so the Morales family just might be taking their cue from them.

Alexia's Spanish cousins are a prime example of this. With the exeption of special occasions such as weddings, births or baptisms, when do we see Cristina or Elena's in-laws? Hardly ever. For that matter, in other royal families, when do we see Mathilde's family? Or Mette-Marit's family? Does it really prove a bad relationship between Constantine and Carlos or Carlos' family that we hardly see them? Does it mean then that the Spanish royal family has a bad relationship with the Urdangarin or de Marichalar families? Or Albert and Paola with Mathilde's parents? Or Harald and Sonja with Mette-Marit's mom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie
because Alexia might have a good relationship to her brother Pavlos.
Then why wasn't Pavlos made the godfather of Carlos? If the relationship is between Alexia and Pavlos, then why make his wife her son's godfather and not her brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie
In fact MC will have almost no contact to her godson during the year. (And both Alexia and MC know that....)
So you've seen a year-long schedule of what Alexia and her family and Marie-Chantal and her family will be doing this year? Or has one of them told you personally that they will not be spending time together this year?

And even if the stories of Constantine wanting his children to marry into wealth are true, there are always exceptions. And in Alexia's case, I would applaud her even more for following her heart rather than following money. Besides, Carlos and Alexia are hardly scratching pennies struggling to make ends meet. They may not be as wealthy as Pavlos and Marie-Chantal but that doesn't mean they are unhappy.

At the time of Carlos and Alexia's engagement, I read a good story in Hello! Before proposing to Alexia, Carlos had done the polite thing and asked Constantine for his daughter's hand in marriage. And when Alexia found out, she said, "Why would you ask him first? I'm the one who matters." Hardly the words of a woman who is not confident!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Saturn's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie
I always wonder what Cristina´s opinion might had been when she found out that both are going to marry. I wonder what she thinks about Carlos....
In fact since Alexia and Carlos married, the relationship between Cristina and Alexia has cooled down.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,059
what does she & her family look like
__________________
ain' no sunshine when i gone
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-09-2006, 04:57 PM
crisiñaki's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by semisquare
what does she & her family look like
Check their picture and current events thread at: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ents-5077.html

If you want to see how do the GRF look like then go to: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...s-grf-120.html

Hope this helps
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,288
So what about Alexia and Marie-Chantal? The two women seem to be each others opposites almost, chosen two completely different ways of life etc.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn
In fact since Alexia and Carlos married, the relationship between Cristina and Alexia has cooled down.
How so? Alexia is the godparent of one of Cristia's sons and they have both been to a few regattas through the summer months together.

It's natural that they may not spend as much time together now -- they live in two different cities and have busy lives with seven kids between them. But that doesn't mean that their relationship is cooled just because we don't see them photographed together very often.

How often do we see Anne Marie photographed with her sisters Benedikte or Margrethe? Does that mean their relationships are "cooled?"
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Somewhere in Germany, Germany
Posts: 746
continue 4 - Constantine and the press

There are some occasions where you can see Alexia and her family being photographed regularly: births, baptisms, regatta Nilo Manrique, carnival. And this are only the ones where they find attention specially as the Morales-family. Not to forget weddings. But in contrast to the other examples there they are just one of plenty. What do you believe is the reason Alexia is f.i. photographed whenever she leaves hospital with one of her babies? In my opinion it´s NOT HER WISH but Constantines! In contrast to f.i. the former Persian royal family he is one of the former monarchs who´s managed to keep in spotlight ever since he had to leave Greece. And he uses his childrens´ happy events to get another chance for press-attention. I attended Alexia´s wedding in London in 1999 and the place opposite of the church was reserved ONLY for international press and "Greeks" with flags waving. Alexia did exactly what the press (and Daddy) told her to do. Wave, kiss Carlos (just the cheek, not the mouth....) - it was all a grotesque production. There were anyway only a few people living around the church and watching this event but even those few were kept away as far as possible. So Alexia waved to the press and not to the cheering crowd! But on TV (Sky news) it exactly appeared as if there were a lot of people pay homage to the event. I simply can´t imagine Constantine visit Lanzarote often and during those visits have in attention some tea-time with Mr.and Mrs. Morales senior. NO WAY! And if he did so at least once - believe me, the press wouldn´t be far away. Shortly after Alexia started into honeymoon her parents-in-law gave a photo-interview to the press and afterwards were never seen again doing that. I´m sure Constantine was behind all this. Mr. Morales sen. always looks so pissed of at those events (little Carlos´christening last). And what will Alexia do? She stands between her father and her father-in-law. On the other hand I can imagine that Carlos jun. enjoys being on public attention! Even more than Alexia does! It was one reason he married Alexia: To get access to notables. Believe me:Both MC and Carlos enjoy to know f.i. Queen Elizabeth II personally. That is what both Alexia and Pavlos have instead of money - the relationship with nobility - for a rich amercian girl like MC too expensive! American high society LOVES nobility! And it´s easy for Constantine since he´s relative to almost all royal families in Europe. He managed it very well to at least bring his young, beautiful wive´s popularity from the sixties with him into his further life. And Stefanie LOVES it....
And so they will live happily ever after
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Jackswife's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 816
Smile

Alexia seems ecstatically happy with Carlos and her family (and Marie Chantal seems equally happy with Pavlos and her children), so whatever "differences" there are between them, they're two fortunate ladies blessed with lovely healthy children and happy marriages. They may or may not be best buddies but they both seem content with their lives as they are.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-09-2006, 11:46 PM
crisiñaki's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackswife
Alexia seems ecstatically happy with Carlos and her family (and Marie Chantal seems equally happy with Pavlos and her children), so whatever "differences" there are between them, they're two fortunate ladies blessed with lovely healthy children and happy marriages. They may or may not be best buddies but they both seem content with their lives as they are.
Alexia and MC's relationship is like many other sister-in-law relationships, they don't have much in common so why would they have to be attached by-the-hip? I don't think they are best friends but I also don't believe that they don't like each other but both have clarity on something: they are part of the same family and because of that, they stick together.

I don't spend much time with my sister-in-law and that doesn't mean we don't like each other, far from it, the point is that we have different interests and hobbies so we usually spend more time with people that have things in common with each of us.

You possibly cannot find two more opposite people than Alexia and MC and I believe that's the main reason why they don't seem to get along that well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tórshavn, Faroe Islands
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria
Then why wasn't Pavlos made the godfather of Carlos?

Pavlos is already godfather to Ana Maria Morales.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Kelly's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,106
How about family reunions? Do the GRF have one?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-10-2006, 05:33 PM
crisiñaki's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
How about family reunions? Do the GRF have one?
They usually go to Gstaad to ski and get together in weddings, christenings and such, which have been pretty often the last 3 years because of the baby and wedding boom of 2004-2006

The GRF also get together for Constantine's birthday every year in London
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 44
When Stefanie,mentioned above Alexia's wedding,i remembered something.I remembered a friend telling me ,long time ago,about the rehearsal of the wedding.My friend was accidentally passing from the area while on holidays to London.Some of the media were there,even on the rehearsal ,but apparently none of the members of the royal family paid any attention to them and carlos was seen running quickly to get away from them!The only one who waved to the media and the small crowd was constantine.The others were trying to get away as soon as possible,i was told.
It is not relevant to the topic but just came to my mind......
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-10-2006, 02:12 AM
crisiñaki's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
I don't think that Carlos or any member of his family is an attention seeker, they just like to live their lives freely and not having to look out for every movement because of the press.

Alexia and Carlos have a beautiful family and live happily in Lanzarote, so anything else matters?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Alexandra's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: x, Finland
Posts: 357
I never liked the idea of Alexia marrying a commoner. But when I have seen pictures of her and her family, I must always think, that she has done well and has a very happy family. I like her very much!

Of course it is much more romantic when a royal person marries another royal, but how often it happens nowadays! In fact, who were the last royal born couple, who married? Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxemburg with Prince Christian Habsburg-Lothringen? Or perhaps her sister Princess Marguerite of Luxemburg with Prince Nicholas of Liechtenstein?
__________________
Alexandra
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-10-2006, 04:57 PM
monica's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Valladolid, Spain
Posts: 1,573
Alexia is charming and has formed a precious family
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Carminha Stalker's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 1,696
Alexia is one of my favourite "royals" and I think one of the happiest. She and her husband Carlos and their lovely children, are what I consider a modern, well-balanced family. I never saw or heard or read anything to suggest to me that she is excluded or belittled by the rest of the GRF. On the contrary!And she and Infanta Cristina are dear friends.Or haven´t you seen those pictures of Iñaki´s visit to Lanzarote?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greek Royal Family current events and pictures Jacqueline The Royal Family of Greece 466 08-24-2014 06:39 PM
Relationship of the Royal Family with The Duchess of Cornwall? HMQueenElizabethII The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 383 04-29-2014 06:25 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman palace pieter van vollenhoven pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]