Relation to Spain and Denmark

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

principessa

Heir Apparent
City
Schweinfurt
Country
Germany
The relationship to which Royal House is warmer, Spain or Denmark? Are there more familiar meetings with the Spanish or the Danish in-laws?

Denmark and Spain are connected only through Sofia and Constantine.

Constantine being married to Anna Maria (nee Princess of Denmark) and Sofia (nee Princess of Greece and Denmark) being married to Don Juan Carlos.

Denmark and Spain share cousins (Greece), though they themselves are of no relation.

Last edited:
Do you know which family they are closest to? Do they spend more time with their Spanish or Danish cousins?

I think they are close to both. I read an article (with Prince Pavlos) that said Princes Felipe, Pavlos and Frederick were close and even shared an apartment together in the US when they were young men. Alexia seems to be close to both her Danish and Spanish cousins as she spends time vacationing and interacting with both sides, especially Princess Chistina and family. Alexia has an uncanny resemblence to CP Frederick almost like brother & sister. There are many pictures of them together a royal functions. It looks as though Queen Margerethe, Queen Anne Marie and Princess Benedickte are very close sisters and have brought their children up as regular parts of each others lives. Princess Alexanda of Berleburg (daughter of Princess Benedickte) said in an inteview that Princess Theordora stayed with her for several weeks. I think Queen Sophia has also made sure that her children grew up close to their first cousins through King Constantine.

Last edited:
Thank you dbarn. I think it is very nice that they have retained such a close relationship with their extended family members. I wonder if they will all attend the wedding of Prince Joachim and Marie Cavallier?

I think all will try. CP Pavlos and MC are the question marks because she will be in the latter part of her pregnancy and may want to stay close to home. IMO though she's a pretty hearty lady and will try to make it there for her husband. I would really love to see P. ALexia and family attend. Dont know about the Dukes of Lugo & Mallorc. I'd like to see them attend as this wedding should be smaller and more family oriented.

There are wonderful pictures of the royal greek family and the spanish royals in Palma de Makkorca. Prine Plavos was always in every party with prine Felipe, as well as princess Alexia with infanta Cristina. I'll try to post the ones I own

:previous:
I want to see these pictures.

Denmark and Spain continue to get along with the royal family of Greece. The kings of Greece and their children participate in various ceremonies of the Danish Royal Family and some of the Spanish Royal Family.

The Greek Royal Family has a very close relationship with the royal families of Denmark and Spain.
Philip VI is very close cousins of Greece, especially of Prince Nikolaos and Pavlos.
The Infanta Cristina and Infanta Elena are very close to Alexia and Marie-Chantal.
Denmark Prince Frederik is very close to the Prince Pavlos.
Of course, Queen Sofia is very close brother, the King of Greece.

Marie-Chantal is not close to Letizia. Does Marie-Chantal is close to Mary of Denmark?

Marie-Chantal also does not appear to be close to Marie of Denmark.

Marie-Chantal's are the only ones close to Elena and Cristina.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, did get the feeling that Mary and Fred's lavishness may have been an attempt to compete W MC and Pavlos at one point. I do know that MC is friends with Mette Marit for some bizarre reason. Felipe and Pavlos are close but MC and Leti I don't think are - they probably are civil to one another for their husbands sakes

Mette-Marit is godmother to one of MC and Pavlos's sons, Odysseus, I think. Of course the relationships between the Spanish, Greek and Danish Royal houses are all tied up with Sofia of Spain and Ann-Marie of Greece's birth families. I don't know quite how MM fits into this cosy circle either, but I'd say it has more to do with the Greeks clinging on to these family relationships for grim death. MM is a future Queen consort, after all. You never know when such things will turn out to be useful!

Mette-Marit is godmother to one of MC and Pavlos's sons, Odysseus, I think. Of course the relationships between the Spanish, Greek and Danish Royal houses are all tied up with Sofia of Spain and Ann-Marie of Greece's birth families. I don't know quite how MM fits into this cosy circle either, but I'd say it has more to do with the Greeks clinging on to these family relationships for grim death. MM is a future Queen consort, after all. You never know when such things will turn out to be useful!

Don't forget the biggest connection of all - The BRF via the DoE and Constantine being Prince Williams godfather, the Queen being Theodora's godmother, and William being CA's godfather etc...

Last edited:
I remember seeing a photo at a gala evening where Princess Alexandra of Denmark (now countess) was swapping mobile phone no's with M.C. of Greece.
Cr Prss Mary has bought a number of MC's childrens clothing lines from her. I think Mary and M.C. don't get many chances to see one another very often. Therefore unable to form much of a relationship. Same goes with Queen Letizia. Mary and Letizia don't see enough of one another to form much of a relationship.
Having said that, I see all the Royals as being like a little exclusive club. They know they can say anything to each other without the media knowing. They feel really comfortable with one another.

Maybe the name of this thread should be changed to the GRFs realtionshipd w other euro RFs as it's much bigger than Spain and Denmark - there's also the middle eastern royal families as well.

Last edited:
:previous:
I want to see these pictures.

Denmark and Spain continue to get along with the royal family of Greece. The kings of Greece and their children participate in various ceremonies of the Danish Royal Family and some of the Spanish Royal Family.

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie were the only foreign royals in attendance at King Felipe VI's inauguration.

^Is that not because etiquette forbids the attendance of Reigning Monarchs to other Monarchs Coronations/Inaugurations ?^

Not all royals are monarchs ;)

Pretty sure they were in attendance because Felipe is their nephew.

^Is that not because etiquette forbids the attendance of Reigning Monarchs to other Monarchs Coronations/Inaugurations ?^

But it doesn't preclude the attendance of Crown Princes. The Prince of Wales attended the inaugurations of both Queen Beatrix and King Willem-Alexander.

The point is that Casa Real simply didn't invite any foreign royal to the investiture. I suppose Constantine attended as a family member, being the King's uncle.

Yes it is.. Heirs attend in their stead.

However, Prince Albert of Monaco attended the inauguration of king Willem-Alexander (the most recent inauguration that was intended by many foreign royals). Two monarchs send their wives (Qatar & Morocco) and most other countries the heir and spouse or another high ranking family member.

Princess Marie-Chantal does not like Queen Letizia of Spain. Does she like Princess Mary of Denmark?

Well enough to present Mary with an extremely (as in embarrassingly!) expensive handbag for her 40th B-day.
And I believe Mary's children have been seen wearing Marie-Chantal's designs on several occasions.

Well enough to present Mary with an extremely (as in embarrassingly!) expensive handbag for her 40th B-day.

And I believe Mary's children have been seen wearing Marie-Chantal's designs on several occasions.

In this video (towards the end), you will hear Marie-Chantal speak admirably about Mary.

Do the Greek Crown Prince/Princess and family ever spend much time in Denmark ,they rarely visit Spain.

Didn't Queen Margrethe use to have a "big" family Christmas with all her sisters and their families every few years? I'm sure they attended a few and they seem to pop up at Danish royal events, birthday galas etc. I would be surprised if they didn't make some private visits there as well.

Yes they do pop up at at all the major Danish RF events and celebrations more than I can say for Spain.

I can't see Crown Princess Marie-Chantal sharing a photo of Queen Letizia on Instagram ;)

Well not a photo Letizia would approve of ;-)

Back
Top Bottom