Princess Olga (1971-), dau of Prince Michael

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
reximperatorx said:
This lady is certainly elegant but she is not a princess by any stretch of even Baron Munchausen's imagination...
Sorry, I do not know your roots, but I think she has more chances than you, or me, to be a Princess ..........
And where is the big deal ????????? She has blue blood, and she is not shaming anyone, by being greek and French princess (d'Orleans)

Last edited by a moderator:
ChevalieurduCiel said:
is Princess and devine,Her Father is Prince,son of a Prince,Grandson of the first King of Greece!Her Mother is Princess by marriage and Famous artist!:p
You are absolutely RIGHT :)

ChevalieurduCiel said:
They are a beautiful couple!:)
Yes, they are wonderfull' But they are many many many times ... cousins, too much cousins, it sounds very strange. They are close cousins from all sides of their families:eek:

iannis said:
At least she is as beautiful as a princess:p
I think it's kind of immature for us Hellenes to discharge one of the so few royals with Greek blood of their titles

Grrek blood??? Danish, German, French, Russian, Spanish but not a drop of greek blood. As greeks were by default commoners, the royal blood was never allowed to be 'corrupted' by mixing it with a commoner's!

Olga will marry Aimone this summer very discretely. Point de Vue announced it this week.

Danielane said:
Olga will marry Aimone this summer very discretely. Point de Vue announced it this week.
Did they mention where? And why discretely, is there a reason?

princess olga said:
Did they mention where? And why discretely, is there a reason?

Unfortunately no. The discretion was the wish of bride and groom, I suppose.

Danielane said:
Unfortunately no. The discretion was the wish of bride and groom, I suppose.
Too bad for us royalty junkies, but good for them. I do hope they'll release one or two pictures, though, they're such a striking couple together! Plus, even if it's a small affair, I'm keeping my fingers crossed they'll invite the creme de la creme of Euro royalty! Ah, a woman can hope..;)

owentjuh said:
Any Date wedding ??

I seriously doubt that we (the public) will be informed of the wedding date in advance. We'll probably find out after the whole affair takes place.

I mean Aimone's mother remarried for the third time in mid-June, and the PdV just found out rather recently (after the wedding had taken place).

bunte wrote that the wedding will never take place. it states that aimone lives in moscow with a male friend... anyone heard this rumours too??

Bunte is a gossip mag, so it can't be taken seriously. Aimone had been living in Moscow with a girlfriend before Olga came on the scene, so I don't know that he's gay.

Diogenes said:
Grrek blood??? Danish, German, French, Russian, Spanish but not a drop of greek blood. As greeks were by default commoners, the royal blood was never allowed to be 'corrupted' by mixing it with a commoner's!

Olga HAS greek blood, her mother is 100% greek, it makes her 50% greek by blood :D

fandesacs2003 said:
Olga HAS greek blood, her mother is 100% greek, it makes her 50% greek by blood :D

Exactly. And the comment about Greek blood not being allowed to mix with the royal blood is not accurate. Alexander I married the Greek lady Aspasia Manos (although the she wasn't queen, she was given the title of Princess after his demise). Their daughter went on to become the wife of King Peter of Yugoslavia.

Furthermore, Prince Peter of Greece (Olga's grandfather) firstly married the commoner (although very wealthy) Nancy Leeds, and she was known as Princess Anastasia of Greece.

It wasn't so much that Greek blood wasn't allowed to mix with the royal blood due to the former being common, but rather because it was felt that marrying Greeks would lead to nepotism and that it would create a kind of 'Greek nobility' (kind of like you see in some of the Middle Eastern countries, where in-laws secure certain privileges by virtue of marrying into the RF) There was a desire to avoid this.

Sean.~ said:
Exactly. And the comment about Greek blood not being allowed to mix with the royal blood is not accurate. Alexander I married the Greek lady Aspasia Manos (although the she wasn't queen, she was given the title of Princess after his demise). Their daughter went on to become the wife of King Peter of Yugoslavia.

Yes, and she was the mother of the actual "pretender" Crown Prince Alexander. As regards Aspasia Manos, despite that she belonged to a very prestigious greek family, she wed King Alexander in a "morganatic" wedding. IMO the reason that she received the tiltle of Princess was that after King Alexander's death, and having a girl, she represented a "very low risk" for the Monarchy, so they flattered her, withour risk.

Sean.~ said:
Furthermore, Prince Peter of Greece (Olga's grandfather) firstly married the commoner (although very wealthy) Nancy Leeds, and she was known as Princess Anastasia of Greece.
Olga's Grandfather was not Prince Peter, but Prince Christopher, the last child of King George 1st and Queen Olga. Prince Peter was son of Maria Bonaparte and Prince George, (son of King George I) and consequently, Olga's Uncle (although that she never met him, they are a huge age difference, more that 60-70 years)

Sean.~ said:
It wasn't so much that Greek blood wasn't allowed to mix with the royal blood due to the former being common, but rather because it was felt that marrying Greeks would lead to nepotism and that it would create a kind of 'Greek nobility' (kind of like you see in some of the Middle Eastern countries, where in-laws secure certain privileges by virtue of marrying into the RF) There was a desire to avoid this.
Exactly, this was the reason, but on the other hand, with this theory they "managed" not to be loved by Greeks, and after 100 years in Greece, they were still considered as foreigners!!

Yes, and she was the mother of the actual "pretender" Crown Prince Alexander. As regards Aspasia Manos, despite that she belonged to a very prestigious greek family, she wed King Alexander in a "morganatic" wedding. IMO the reason that she received the tiltle of Princess was that after King Alexander's death, and having a girl, she represented a "very low risk" for the Monarchy, so they flattered her, withour risk.

True. That's why I think she was given the title, too. However, on a side note, legally there was no such thing as "morganatic" marriages in Greece as far as I know. It was just geneally accepted that members of the house would not marry Greek citizens for reasons explained previously.

Olga's Grandfather was not Prince Peter, but Prince Christopher, the last child of King George 1st and Queen Olga. Prince Peter was son of Maria Bonaparte and Prince George, (son of King George I) and consequently, Olga's Uncle (although that she never met him, they are a huge age difference, more that 60-70 years)
Of course, Christopher was Olga's grandfather. My bad. I always get the two names mixed up (George I and Olga Constantinova just had too many children, lol).

Regardless, his (Christopher's) first wife was a (very rich) American commoner and was known as Princess Anastasia. Thus debunking the position that commones could not marry into the royal family.

[/quote]
Exactly, this was the reason, but on the other hand, with this theory they "managed" not to be loved by Greeks, and after 100 years in Greece, they were still considered as foreigners!!

Agreed. However, at least originally, Greek politicians and, to a certain extent, the 'great powers' also wanted to avoid intermarriage between Greeks and the RF.

Last edited:
Danielane said:

Well, I'm glad they're still getting married, although IMO they don't look like the most passionately "in love" couple in their photos together. Oh well, maybe they just don't photograph well. I hope they live happily ever after. And I also hope they release some photos for us afterwards.

Sean.~ said:
Regardless, his (Christopher's) first wife was a (very rich) American commoner and was known as Princess Anastasia. Thus debunking the position that commones could not marry into the royal family.

You are right. On the other hand Prince Michael of Greece, Olga's father, when he married the commoner Marina Karella in 1965 he had to deny all his rights to the Greek throne, but at this time Prince Michael was quite immediately after King Costantin II...., as King Costantine had no descendency at this time, Queen Anne-Marie was just pregnant. Prince Petros, born 1908, was between them, being the son on King George I second son George and Maria Bonaparte, but being a famous anthropologist, he maybe was not interested and he had no descendency. Anyway, If I count well, after King Costantin II, it was Prince Petros and Prince Michael immediately, so number 3, all other descendents being female, and Prince Philip of Greece had already denied his rights to marry Queen Elisabeth.

Prince Christopher was very far to have close rights, he was the 5th boy of King George I, and 20 years younger than Crown Prince Costantine. He married his first wife at 1920, after 6 years engagements, during them lawyers worked to set up the legal side of the marriage with a commoner(very rich) and at this time Costantine had already 3 sons. I can not count, but IMO Prince Christopher was very very far positionned in the rights of being King of Greece...

Last edited:
Hello

Does somebody have a clue, is Olga going to marry Aimone???? or not????

fandesacs2003 said:
Hello

Does somebody have a clue, is Olga going to marry Aimone???? or not????

Well, Danielane posted news from Point de Vue, according to which Olga was supposed to marry Aimone in summer 2006. It's already mid-Autumn but no news yet (not that I know anyway).

Avalon said:
Well, Danielane posted news from Point de Vue, according to which Olga was supposed to marry Aimone in summer 2006. It's already mid-Autumn but no news yet (not that I know anyway).

I heard that the wedding could have been postponed in 2007.

Until now there's no news but princess Olga was presented officially (see italian forum) during gathering of italian monarchists (in presence of his fiance') so probably the big day is coming....

Photo (from Corbis) of Princess Olga with one of her favorite designers, Christian Louboutin, at the 4 Oct 2006 Valentino Party held at the Paris Ritz.

&

Photo of Princess Olga and longtime fiancee Prince Aimone of Aosta on 17 Dec 2006.

Last edited:
On the other hand Prince Michael of Greece, Olga's father, when he married the commoner Marina Karella in 1965 he had to deny all his rights to the Greek throne, but at this time Prince Michael was quite immediately after King Costantin II...., as King Costantine had no descendency at this time, Queen Anne-Marie was just pregnant. Prince Petros, born 1908, was between them, being the son on King George I second son George and Maria Bonaparte, but being a famous anthropologist, he maybe was not interested and he had no descendency. Anyway, If I count well, after King Costantin II, it was Prince Petros and Prince Michael immediately, so number 3, all other descendents being female, and Prince Philip of Greece had already denied his rights to marry Queen Elisabeth.

Actually, the law of succession was changed at the time of King Paul's death to cognatic primogeniture, thus allowing daughters of monarchs to inherit the Throne. Thus, princess Yriny, King Constantine's younger sister became Diadoch (ie Heir) prseumptive in March 1964 and remained so until the birth of princess Alexia (late 1965). Next after princess Yriny were, exactly as you quote, prince Peter and prince Michael.

PS There are beautiful pictures, 1) from the ceremony, where King Constantine gives the oath as monarch and princess Yriny stands behind him and 2) of King Constantine's first appearance in parliament with her.

Last edited:
Prince Christopher was very far to have close rights, he was the 5th boy of King George I, and 20 years younger than Crown Prince Costantine. He married his first wife at 1920, after 6 years engagements, during them lawyers worked to set up the legal side of the marriage with a commoner(very rich) and at this time Costantine had already 3 sons. I can not count, but IMO Prince Christopher was very very far positionned in the rights of being King of Greece...

Prince Christopher had rights, but he resigned his rights as is quoted somewhere in this thread, when he married Mrs Leeds (who was given the courtesy title of princess Anastasia).
Evidently, when the latter died, his rights were re-instated, before or on his marriage to princess Francoise de Guise (maison d' Orleans). To what extent this was legal or legitimate, nobody ever argued and there was no reason for.
Insofar as princes Peter and Michael were concerned, the Greek people were considering them both as distant relatives and there was no publicity about them until the death of king Paul (1964). And even then, there was no issue, since king Constantine's wedding was forthcoming and princess Yriny was also only 22.
If you are very interested in the order of succession upon king Paul's death, you are referred to a telling photograph [under thread Funerals of king Paul and queen Frederika, post #4]. The photo is taken from the procession of the ransfer of the king's casket on a caisson from the palace to the Athens Cathedral to lay in-state (a few days before the actual funeral). In the second row of the cortege, there is princess Yriny in the center (as Diadoch, #1 in succession) having prince Peter and prince Michael to her immediate right and left (#2 and #3, in the line of succession), respectively and, princess Sophia and Juan Carlos, to her far right and left, respectively.

Last edited:
Olga's and Aimone's pedigrees

What is very interesting in this match, if it will ever materialize, is that Olga is a great-grand-daughter, and Aimone a great-great-grandson, of king George I of the Hellenes, that is, they are second cousins once removed - or, said differently, she is his aunt even though 4 years his junior.

Her father prince Michael is first cousin to king Paul, through their fathers, prince Christopher and king Constantine I, respectively, who were children of king George I and queen Olga, the oldest and youngest, respectively.

Prince Michael is also first cousin to princess Yriny, middle sister of king Paul. Princess Yriny, was also the grand-mother of prince Aimone. Princess Yriny, second daughter of king Constantine I and sister of kings Alexander, George II and Paul (not to be confused with king Paul's daughter princess Yriny), married (1939) Aimone of Aosta, duke of Spoleto (since birth), 4th duke of Aosta (since 1943) and king Tomislav II of Croatia (1941-43).

So, princess Yriny of Greece [duchess of Spoleto and Aosta and transiently queen of Croatia] and prince Michael were first cousins.
Her son, Amedeo, duke of Aosta and Michael's daughter Olga are second cousins. Thus, Amedeo's son, Aimone of Aosta is Olga's nephew or second cousin, once removed.

Last edited:
Olga and her fiancee are also 2nd cousins through the Orleans.

Olga and her fiancee are also 2nd cousins through the Orleans.

Actually, third cousins. Helene and Isabelle were siblings which makes their children---the first Aimone and Francoise (Christopher of Greece's second wife)---first cousins; Amedeo and Michael are second cousins, which makes their children third cousins to each other, since they are of the same generation. It takes four steps to get to both Olga and Aimone from Philippe, the Count of Paris.

Philippe, Comte de Paris - Helene - Aimone - Amedeo - Aimone
Philippe, Comte de Paris - Isabelle - Francoise - Michael - Olga

Last edited:
You are correct as to that sequence but Benjamin is also correct ! Olga and Aimone, through his mother, Claude de France, are also second cousins and, because the closest kinship prevails, Benjamin's is the right answer:

Jean de Guise - Henri Comte de Paris - Claude - Aimone di Savoia Aosta
Jean de Guise - Francoise de Guise - Michel de Grece - Miss Olga Glucksburg*.

Summarily, Olga and Aimone are:
Second cousins once removed through his paternal grand-mother, Yriny of Greece
Second cousins through his mother, Claude de France, daughter of Henri Comte de Paris
Third cousins through his paternal grand-father's mother, Helene de France

*Please note as explained implicitly and explicitly several posts above, Olga, despite her outstanding paternal pedigree, is neither royal nor a born-princess.

Wow....so they're triply (if that's even a word) related! lol
So Olga's surname is actually "of Greece" then? And "Princess" is just a curtosey title?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom