Princess Irene (1942-), sister of King Constantine

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elenaris

Aristocracy
I'd justi like to know why Princess Irene of Greece ( Constantine and Sodia'as sister) never got Married??
E.

No, but she was involved with a guy for a long time. IIRC, he passed away a few years back.

Some people are aware that for whatever reason, they like to stay unmarried-
"so I can come and go as I please" is what I often hear.

Marriage is not easy.

As long as someone is happy, that is all anyone can ask.

BTW, The last real Romanov per se was the Empress Elizabeth, daughter of
Tzar Peter the Great, after that, there was less and less Russian blood and
less and less real Romanov too....

:flower:HRM Queen of Greece Frederika ,Princess Irene of Greece

Attachments

• Irene_20et_20Frederika.jpg
    Irene_20et_20Frederika.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 5,141
Istanbul - 8 September 2002 - Princess Irene and Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece attend the christening of the daughter of Antonio Fournier and Ioanna Vardinoyannis, for whom they are the godparents. The christening took place at the Orhtodox Church of Constantinople, by the chief Orthodox priest Bartholomeus the First. There was a dinner and a dance on a luxury yacht afterwards.

Christening, 1

Christening, 2

Christening, 3

Christening, 4

Christening, 5

Christening, 6

Christening, 7

Christening, 8

Christening, 9

Christening, 10

Christening, 11

Christening, 12

Christening, 13

Christening, 14

Christening, 15

With a strong mother like Irene's, how come she stays unmarried?

I read in an autobio of the royal greek family that her mum did not approve of any of her suitors and felt that since sofia married a future king and since in greece the title of royalty doesnt pass thru the females,she wished for her to marry a royal as well,to regain her statue.

Aparently, her mother was not successful in that endeavor either. Is her happy with her unmarried status?

H.R.H. Princess Irene

Hey does anyone have current pictures of the Princess Irene? Like from events were she go to or maybe some from the Olympics in Athens cause I only have the one with her sister Sofia.

If you had any pictures, please post them

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/1...99169AC85D6DEBF59F7571AF1AE639C0E0B6CC940FE04

Look at this picture, and then look at the feet of H.R.H. the Princess. Is it just me or is she wearing sport shoes (or how do you call them in English, like Nike and Puma shoes that kind). Cause then she is a modern royal wearing that kind of shoes...

by the way, i heard Irene was not married, but do got a relationship with someone for a while. Does anyone know with who? what was his name?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has a possible "fiancé" ever been known to princess Ireni ? or a simple boyfriend?
I think it is a so sad that she remained single.

Elena

what tne name of his boyfriend?

elenaris said:
Has a possible "fiancé" ever been known to princess Ireni ? or a simple boyfriend?
I think it is a so sad that she remained single.

Elena

Why is it sad that she remained single? What makes you think that Irene is sad at all? Maybe that is a conscious choice she made. Maybe she never wanted to be married.

While some people are happier being married, not everybody is. And some married people are quite sad because they are married. Just like some people are very happy to have children and others don't want children at all. Being married or not being married doesn't make for a happier life necessarily and its unfair to post such standards on everyone. :mad:

Genevieve said:
Why is it sad that she remained single? What makes you think that Irene is sad at all? Maybe that is a conscious choice she made. Maybe she never wanted to be married.

While some people are happier being married, not everybody is. And some married people are quite sad because they are married. Just like some people are very happy to have children and others don't want children at all. Being married or not being married doesn't make for a happier life necessarily and its unfair to post such standards on everyone. :mad:
I agree with Genevieve. I was married for 5 years and was misereable. I am alone now and I have never been happier. That doesn't mean that if I don't find the right man I will be sad. It was just wasn't meant to be.

elenaris said:
I'd justi like to know why Princess Irene of Greece ( Constantine and Sodia'as sister) never got Married??
E.
Because she's smart!

:p How funny! Smart she is. No male hassle!

Irene's late bf was some kind of exiled Greek military attache who lived in London for many years IIRC. He passed away several years ago.

Irene has always been independent in lifestyle and belief. For many years she has studied eastern religion and mysticism, the same interest her mother Frederica had. She is known privately to be affiliated with the Ramakrishna, a religous organization/sect, and has a home she spends a lot of time at in eastern India. Sophie and other family members have often gone to visit her there. I believe she's a vegetarian as well, according to someone I know who's met and eaten with her.

For those interested Ramakrishna is not a "cult" as it sounds to our ears but a genuinely respected sect in India that follows the teachings of Sri Ramakrishna, a 19th century mystic guru. There are several spiritual centers in the US.

Where does Irene live?

What is in her jewely chest? What will happen to it?

I am also wondering what jewelry Irene has left. As the years have gone by, she had certainly stopped wearing much jewelry. I only see here wearing the basics. Maybe she even sold whatever was in her possession to help with her finances. I am not sure of what her personal situation was after the family left Greece. I remember the photos of her when she was a young Princess and the pieces that she wore often. I don't recall seeing them on any other member of the family, so they may have been sold or HRH may have decided to leave them as inheritance to other members of her family.

I am going to check Danjel's site and see if I can find out anything about some of her jewelry.

I found this link with Princess Irene wearing a dimaond necklace tiara. There isnt' that much in the way of other jewels.

Here's a link: http://nl.msnusers.com/RoyaltyDanjel3/grdiamondnecklacew.msnw

As you can see, it states the curren whereabouts are unknown. I think this is the case for many of the GRF's jewels with the exception of those that are still worn by Queen Anne-Marie. My guess would be that most of those that appear to be "missing" have been sold.

Thanks!
That's one gorgeous diamond necklace tiara.
Hope to find more!

Genevieve said:
While some people are happier being married, not everybody is. And some married people are quite sad because they are married. :mad:

The marriage doesn't suit everyone! I never was married, and very happy of it. When I (have to) listen to the endless problems of my married friends I can just congratulate myself for the choice I have made. The problems their children and grandchildren cause to them ... I am very, very happy for not to have to solve the difficulties and bear the sorrows they cause to their parents.
I am always for the freedom for all women!

Last edited:
Pandalover said:
Irene's late bf was some kind of exiled Greek military attache who lived in London for many years IIRC. He passed away several years ago.

Irene has always been independent in lifestyle and belief. For many years she has studied eastern religion and mysticism, the same interest her mother Frederica had. She is known privately to be affiliated with the Ramakrishna, a religous organization/sect, and has a home she spends a lot of time at in eastern India. Sophie and other family members have often gone to visit her there. I believe she's a vegetarian as well, according to someone I know who's met and eaten with her.

For those interested Ramakrishna is not a "cult" as it sounds to our ears but a genuinely respected sect in India that follows the teachings of Sri Ramakrishna, a 19th century mystic guru. There are several spiritual centers in the US.
Hi Pandalover (love your screen name, btw),

I've never heard of the "Ramakrishna's" (although that doesn't necessarily mean anything). Are you perhaps referring to the RadhaKrishna's (they're not really a sect per se), or the Hare Rama Hare Krishnas (who are definitely a well known cultish kind of group)? I'm just more curious than anything. The Former (RadhaKrishna's) are quite respected, and hence tmy curiosity.

Pandalover said:
To the best of my knowledge the alleged individual was was also married. Perhaps that's why *they* never married, or why the relationship was never 'publicized'. There could, of course, be a myriad of reasons.

TC.

A long time ago I read that HRH Princess Irene is a very accomplished classical pianist. Does anyone know if my memory is accurate? Even better, I would love to hear some more information about her.

Thank you

Sean.~ said:
Hi Pandalover (love your screen name, btw),

I've never heard of the "Ramakrishna's" (although that doesn't necessarily mean anything). Are you perhaps referring to the RadhaKrishna's (they're not really a sect per se), or the Hare Rama Hare Krishnas (who are definitely a well known cultish kind of group)? I'm just more curious than anything. The Former (RadhaKrishna's) are quite respected, and hence tmy curiosity.
Sean - sorry for my delay in replying to your query. I recently spoke to my friend/source who has knowledege of Princess Irene's spiritual interests - it was in fact the Ramakrishna sect in Chennai in Madras that she was affiliated with for several years. There are so many sects it's hard to keep track. She spent much time there up until Queen Frederika died, not so much since although she does visit occasionally. She spends much of her time in Madrid nowadays. Both she and her mother were deeply intrigued with eastern mysticism and religion, pursuits that Irene has continued with.

A funny related story - said friend was in Madras himself in the early 80's, was in one of the larger department stores there when he spies someone he recognizes as one of the bodyguards for the Spanish royal family. Lo and behold who else was there but Irene, Sofia, and Anne Marie! Shopping for furniture no less. He is acquainted with both I and S from Madrid, and they were equally surprised to encounter him there as well. The globe is indeed small, esp. for the globe-trotting royals.

Pandalover said:
Sean - sorry for my delay in replying to your query. I recently spoke to my friend/source who has knowledege of Princess Irene's spiritual interests - it was in fact the Ramakrishna sect in Chennai in Madras that she was affiliated with for several years. There are so many sects it's hard to keep track. She spent much time there up until Queen Frederika died, not so much since although she does visit occasionally. She spends much of her time in Madrid nowadays. Both she and her mother were deeply intrigued with eastern mysticism and religion, pursuits that Irene has continued with.

A funny related story - said friend was in Madras himself in the early 80's, was in one of the larger department stores there when he spies someone he recognizes as one of the bodyguards for the Spanish royal family. Lo and behold who else was there but Irene, Sofia, and Anne Marie! Shopping for furniture no less. He is acquainted with both I and S from Madrid, and they were equally surprised to encounter him there as well. The globe is indeed small, esp. for the globe-trotting royals.
No problem regading the delay. I've only been checking the board periodically due to a busy schedule. I was aware of Frederika's involvement with Eastern mysticism, but didn't think Irene was that involved. Anyway, IIRC, one of Her Hanover nephews was also heavily involved in Indian mysticism. His
daughter Saskia of Hanover (grand-niece of Prince Philip) now lives in GB.

Thanks for the anecdote! The globe is indeed a small place. I oft run in into people in the most unlikely places (often much to my chagrin...hehehehe).

:))

as a hindu,i know of the ramakrishna movement,it is an extremely wonderful group of people, they practice the teaching of Guru ramakrishna and are vegetarian.they are a lot of them all over the world esp in South Africa and India.they also very passive people.

Question:

How the followers of this movement look like??

I' ve seen some people with bold head jumpimg on the pavement singing "Hareh Crishna".....Do they look like them???

cuervo said:
How the followers of this movement look like??

I' ve seen some people with bold head jumpimg on the pavement singing "Hareh Crishna".....Do they look like them???
I believe the Hare Krishnas are another sect. They are, IIRC, primarily Western based.

Back
Top Bottom