Princess Irene (1942-), sister of King Constantine

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was the family and Queen Sofia in Greece for Orthodox Easter..? So it seems by these pics of Sofia and Irini at Spetses..

Last edited:

Some highlights about Princess Irene:
Donated her inheritance to "World in Harmony."
Never married, but had several great "loves."
Nieces and nephews call her "Tia Pecu" as in peculiar/quirky.
Accompanies Queen Sofia often, but stays in the background.
Admires Sofia for her serenity, good judgment and sense of responsiblity.
Born in South Africa and lived in India for over a decade with her mother
Claims Irene Urdangarin was not named for her ... parents just liked name.
On Greek excile: Thinking in the past is futile. Better to think in the present and future.

Princess Irene attended the Folli Follie summer party at the Greek Embassy in Madrid yesterday, July 9:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Is it known why she married none of her "great loves"? Living a low profile life in exile it should not have been a problem for her to marry a commoner.

She had many wooers and boyfriend in the Spanish nobility, it was her personal decision, she has always been a woman with a personality and philosophy of life own , she did not liked living permanently in one place, she loved India, and she loved the spiritual life. One own philosophy of life, I think she has never wanted to get married because she does not like that kind of life

Wasn't she supposed to have married Harald of Norway?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Princess Irene leads a very quiet royal life compared to others,she does attend events associated with the Greek & Spanish Royal Families but other than that we don't see much of her.

It takes two to tango, Harold and Irene did not danced the tango hahaha :lol::lol: she is one wonderful woman :p:pAt this party I read that a journalist asked, if she exercised piano teacher of Victoria Federica, daughter of Infanta Elena, she is learning piano, Irene said, << Many years ago, I don´t sit at the piano, I have not ,to practice it, eight hours a day and you have to be very disciplined. " :ohmy::):):):)

I was surprised to find out in this interview that even though the Princess has lived for 30 years in Spain she has difficulty speaking the language, I always thought she was fluent in Spanish. But I this happens, I have foreign neighbors that have been living her in my country for as long as the Princess lives in Spain and they have difficulty speaking the language, that is understandable when you still travel a lot and speak with others the common language so they can be understood.

Princess Irene and Queen Sofia attended a Moscow Virtuosi's charity concert in Madrid yesterday, November 29:

** rex gallery **

I read in an autobio of the royal greek family that her mum did not approve of any of her suitors and felt that since sofia married a future king and since in greece the title of royalty doesnt pass thru the females,she wished for her to marry a royal as well,to regain her statue.

Princess Irene's status would've remained the same had she married a commoner

The Princess has spent most of her adult life in Spain with her sister,queen Sofia.

Interesting news. Why would she have applied for an expedited process after so many years in Spain? What are the benefits for her (and the down sides) of obtaining Spanish citizenship?

According to the article linked below her "previous status was unclear since she was stripped of her Greek Nationality in 1994" but it doesn't explain why she waited 24 years to apply for Spanish citizenship.

Princess Irene of Greece is now a Spanish citizen – Royal Central

Photos and information about Princess Irene and others attending the mass commemorating the 25th anniversary of the death of the Count of Barcelona can be found and made at this thread and should not be reposted here. Thank you for your understanding!

According to the article linked below her "previous status was unclear since she was stripped of her Greek Nationality in 1994" but it doesn't explain why she waited 24 years to apply for Spanish citizenship.

Princess Irene of Greece is now a Spanish citizen – Royal Central

this is not correct, the Decree by which Spanish nationality is added, her titles is recognized , referring to her as Her Royal Highness. Spain recognizes the nobiliary titles of European real houses, and allows that the person with title can be identified with it.
this is says by Decree " Vengo en conceder la nacionalidad española por carta de naturaleza a Su Alteza Real doña Irene de Grecia de Hannover..."

the decree grants by "carta de naturaleza" the nationality by exist exceptional situation, she does not have the nacionality of her origin country since 1994.

Why does she now assume Spanish nationality? My opinion is, from 1994 she has carried a pasport of other country ,this country gave to Princess Irene a pasport to that she could traveled by world , and it is possible that this documents should be renewed now.

Last edited:

Together with Queen Sofia Princess Irene attended the celebrations marking the 40th anniversary of the University of Crete today, June 1:

** Pic ** profimedia gallery **

Back
Top Bottom