The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Gentry

Well, it's a bit of progress, considering the attitude of the media towards Constantine and the Royal Family in general. I don't think the word "rebel" is proper for Irene. I'm sure it was unusual for a Royal Princess of her generation not to want to marry and prefer to study and travel, so, yes, perhaps she seemed peculiar. Nowadays, it doesn't seem that strange!

Old 10-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Nobility

Princess Beatriz de Orleans said to El Magazine (a spanish magazine of El Mundo newspaper) that Princess Irene de Grecia had an affair with Prince Michel de Orleans. Check the interview:

ELMUNDO.ES | SUPLEMENTOS | MAGAZINE 523 | "Compartir la vida a esta edad que tengo, me parece patético"

Old 10-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

she says that when she met her future husband Michel of Orleans, this was the boyfriend of Princess Irene of Greece ..in conclusion, she removed the boyfriend to Irene.

Beatrix has forgotten her own lessons, she always says a woman must be discreet ... I see that it is easy of say and hard to put it into practice.

I say this because Beatrice participates into magazines and on juries, having list of women more elegants and less .. and judging the behavior of these women,She is always giving lessons in good manners and judging by this women..I think a elegant woman must be discrete (she said it too..)
Old 10-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Aristocracy

Tonight, Tuesday, October 13, Princess Irene, dined with an elegant middle-aged couple, at Filippou, a cosy and simple restaurant with superb food, in fashionable Kolonaki district, in Athens. Filippou is rather inexpensive, located on Xenokratous street, frequented by the intellectual elite and the sophisticated locals as an everyday eatery. The princess was simply dressed in a dark gray two-piece and a pink scarf. She stayed there from around 8:30 pm until past 11:30 pm., was very talkative and seemed to enjoy very much the evening.
The staff were fully aware of who she was but most patrons were oblivious of her presence. She was treated with courtesy and great affection.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Serene Highness

Princess Irene attended a performance of Theater in Athens http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3659/irenez.jpg</p>
Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariazil View Post
Well. hello everybody!
This interview is already almost a year old.
Its purpose, I believe, was to show the Greek public there is a not-so-well-known member of the Royal Family who leads a not-so-royal life. Princess Irene is not what we could call a "typical" Royal.
Princess Irene is extremely well known to the Greek public, or as well as as the former King, Queen Ann-Marie and Queen Sofia.
First of all because she served for almost a-year-and-a-half in a constitutional capacity (from her father's death in March 1964 - 'til summer 1965 when Princess Alexia was born) as Diadoch, that is, Heir to the Throne.
Second, because, as a pianist, she has performed repeatedly in her youth, a quatre mains, for the Greek public with her teacher Gina Bahauer.
Third, because she is well respected and admired as an activist who has helped the poor in third-world countries.
It was this fact that prompted the interview by Mr. Theodorakis.

Otherwise, apart from gossip tabloids, the Greek media rarely if ever occupy themesleves with the lives of members of the former royal family. They come and go and no one is aware, except for Queen Sofia who receives full publicity due to her position as the consort of a sovereign and her presence in formal events.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Courtier

Interesting - are you saying that Irene is more popular and better known in Greece than Constantine and Anne-Marie? Was it always this way - was she as respected/liked as a young woman when the family was still on the throne?
Old 11-07-2009, 03:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

It is better that way, remaining in its original form as long as it is restored in the proper manner in the near future. It is difficult when it is restored by people "who do not know" and then getting the place back to its former state.

In the first video she says the greeks have a bigger connection to India than to Europe . She took a lot of cows from Spain and Holland to Bangalore because people were starving. I presume for the milk since Indians do not slaughter cows (I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I recognize the big urns around the swimming pool from an engagement party for JC and Sofia.
Quote:
The place looks so unkempt now, it must be sad for them to see it like that
Old 11-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Nobility

The Greek television channel that issued the interview of Princess Irene, is a closed channel or payment, and is funded by the Church....
Old 11-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post
Interesting - are you saying that Irene is more popular and better known in Greece than Constantine and Anne-Marie? Was it always this way - was she as respected/liked as a young woman when the family was still on the throne?
Constantine, Anne-Marie, Sofia and Irene are all very well, more or less equally, known in Greece.
Popularity-wise, an educated guess is that, despite receiving the least publicity, Irene is by far the most liked among them, due to her activism (good deeds) and spirituality; Sofia is a close second, also well liked because of candor, low-key profile and her impeccable record as queen.
Anne-Marie was much liked as queen-consort due to good looks and disarming smile - certainly, she has no enemies in Greece. In contrast, 35 years after the referendum, King Constantine is still quite unpopular and continues to attract negative comments.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

All the polemics have been directed at the King and Queen Frederika. It is true that the rest of the family has been spared since none of them was involved in the country's political affaires.
Queen Sofia creates quite a stir every time she visits Greece and these who still remember her from her adolescent years have nothing but compliments for her.
I agree on your assessments on all the other members of the family.
At least those who are known to the majority of the Greeks.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
The Greek television channel that issued the interview of Princess Irene, is a closed channel or payment, and is funded by the Church....
If I am not mistaken, it was MEGA channel, the one belonging to Lambrakis Publishing Company. Mr. Lambrakis, the publisher of highly influential newspapers, is also the creator of the Megaron Mousikis, a modern Hall for conserts and other major events. He is very involved with classical music and, I understand, Princess Irene serves as consultant or advisor for the Megaron Mousikis repertoire.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Princess Irene attended the presentation of the Kitin Munoz's
book "Moussem Tan Tan'' together with Princess Kalina of
Bulgaria on November 17, 2009 in Madrid, Spain.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 11-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I believe Princess Irene is one of the Godparent's to Princess Kalina's son.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Serene Highness

thank you by pictures!!! I don´t like of changes of look of Princess Kalina.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Iene look like typical Greek.
About Kalina... that's all Kalina. Artist, wilde princess.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

I do not think she has a drop of Greek blood, must be in her spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
Princess Iene look like typical Greek.
About Kalina... that's all Kalina. Artist, wilde princess.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Nobility

She said in a recent interview (from Spain) that Prince Felipe of Borbon have a lot of traits (he is very similar to) from the father of Queen Sofia of Spain. He is like a clon of his maternal grandfather.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Princess Irene attended the presentation of the Kitin Munoz's
book "Moussem Tan Tan'' together with Princess Kalina of
Bulgaria on November 17, 2009 in Madrid, Spain.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
The third picture also shows Prince Konstantin of Bulgaria, Prince of Vidin, seated next to Princess Irene.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Serene Highness

I think that she has a style own of a Hindu woman, it is a style very spiritual.