The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Tia isn't Spanish aunt?

Old 11-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Royal Highness

Oh,right!Then I guess her Spanish nephews-Felipe,Elena etc-call her "tia" and her Greek nephews-Pavlos,Alexia etc-call her 'thia".LOL

Old 11-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

tia/thia peculiar or excentric

She must be good aunt.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics 20.11.2008

Princess Irene gives a speech after receiving the Honour Medal of the
Byzantine, Cypriot for her work as chairwoman of the charitable organisation
'A World in Harmony' in the University of Granada, Spain, 20 November 2008.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 11-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Aristocracy

Irene Looks older than Sophia.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness

Queen Sofia said many years ago.
She would like to be as her sister,a woman that she doesn´t worry by her physical appearance.The Queen Sofie said that she would like wear the hair in a bun as her sister, but her condition of Queen obligated to her to worry about her physical appearance.

She said that Princess Irene was a soul free

I think that Princess Irene is an exceptional woman, she has a way of thinking and living differently to the rest of people, she has her own philosophy about life ... That makes Princess Irene an exceptional person.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Royal Highness

Princess Irene is in Athens these days for some charity events.I think it has to do with her organisation,"World in Harmony".I saw her in the news.She was sitting in the first raw while someone else was giving a speech.And something else:there's a show on Alpha TV called "Are you in?" with many different guests every time (actors,journalists,singers,athletes etc.).One of them earns an amount of money every time and is free to choose to which organisation he/she will offer the money.A couple of weeks ago the winner was Mr.Christos Zambounis,the Director of the magazine Life & Style(and a very serious journalist,of course).He earned 8000 Euros and donated them to the "World in Harmony".He's the one who always traveled to NY and then London to make those interviews with Pavlos and MC and all of the other GRF members,so I guess there's a strong bond among them.I hope they will continue giving such exclusive interviews to Life & Style,especially after the donation...lol
Old 01-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

I have a photo of princess Irene when she was pianist
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr144/llerana/fotodeieneenconcierto001.jpg
Old 01-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Royal Highness

Has anyone noticed that the 2 sisters were named after the 2 most valuable historical Orthodox temples of Byzantine Constantinople?Agia Irene and Agia Sofia that stand for centuries next to each other in the Old Town of Constantinople.And of course their brother took his name from Constantine,the funder and first emperor of the City King Pavlos made wise choices,in my opinion.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Serene Highness

I had not thought about it, it is best to stop reading Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Chistie ...it is very good. But Constantine have the name by tradition in the Royal family of Greece.It was the name of his grandfather.
the Queen Sofia said in her memories that her name was a tribute to her grandmother...

Another coincidence, Maria Olimpia was christened in Constantinopla
Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Royal Highness

Of course,it might have been a coincidence,since 2 of their grandparents had those names.But again,it's nice to have such names that can be connected to some of the most important historical monuments
I mean,I just like the whole idea.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Nobility

Had Princess Irene ever have any boyfriend or fiance?

I have never heard anything...

And she was very pretty in her youth, much more than Sofia I think...
Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Royal Highness

Princess Irene was connected with someone for many years.I don't know if they are still a couple,though.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Courtier

I think he's been dead for quite a few years, though.

I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this question - maybe you, iakynthi, or another Greek member or someone like Odette who seems very familiar with the families in the 1960s and 70s. What was/is the relationship like between Queen Anne Marie and Princess Irene? They're close in age and surely spent a lot of time together in the early years of Constantine and Anne Marie's marriage, but on the other hand I have the impression that the marriage itself was somewhat difficult in its early years.

Also, how is the name Irene pronounced in Greek? I've seen it spelled Yriny.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh Maura!! 60's and 70's seem like ages ago!!!!!!!!!
Princess Irene or IRINI as it is spelt in Greek had a romantic involvement when she was young but the gentleman (rumours circulated for years) was a Greek citizen and not a noble, aristocrat or royal so Queen Frederika did not allow it to blossom. Later in exile she was linked twice but again there were no pictures or declarations or denials. Rumours and talk in magazines and newspapers.
I suppose it is anyone's guess. She has devoted her life to charity and does wonderful work.
During the early years in Athens when Q Sofia lived in Spain, Princess Irini spent her time with the GRF. Later on she went to India with her mother, then returned to Spain. She seems very close to Princess Alexia Paul and Nicholaos. By all accounts her relationship with Q Anne Marie is a very amicable one. There have never been any rumours of discord.
Q. Anne Marie's and K Constantine's marriage was not difficult at the early years in Greece. Things got a bit tense after their exile and while they lived in Italy.
Now they seem like a couple very much in love as the early days and they seem very happy together.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Royal Highness

Yes,I think Anna-Maria and Irini are true friends and not just sisters-in-law.The name Irene (Ειρήνη in Greek) means "peace" and it is pronounced Irini,as Odette said above and "i" is pronounced like in the word "give".
Old 03-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Courtier

Thank you! Are all 3 i's pronounced the same way, or is the last one pronounced as an e? Having the long e sound at the end just sounds much more natural to me, but of course I'm not Greek.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Nobility

The 3 i' s are pronounced in the same way, i-ri-ni.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Serene Highness

I read an old interview of Princess Irene, she spoke about the question of why she hadn´t married. She said that never she had felt the necessity to marry because She chose to dedicat her life to works of charity and humanitarian work. I think that she thinks humanitarian work are incompatible with training a family, because if you dedicate yourself to humanitarian works, like her, you cannot spend the necessary time to your family.
In the interview she said she lived half the year at Zarzuela Palace and the other half in London at the home of the Kings of Greece, before her mother died, they lived in India

She is very religious and she believes in the appearances of the Virgin, the spirits, she thinks that it is possible to speak with the deads, I remember that she spoke envelope that years after the death of her father King Pavlo, she heared as he spoke her….She felt his presence
Old 03-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Royal Highness

I wouldn't call that "religious",but "spiritual".She's a spiritual person that wanted to experience different things than the average person.Did you know that there were rumours in the past,here in Greece,that Princess Irene was not that well(mentally,I mean),because of that?It's so difficult for common people to understand.Of course,these rumours have stopped a long time ago.