Princess Irene (1942-), sister of King Constantine

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course,it might have been a coincidence,since 2 of their grandparents had those names.But again,it's nice to have such names that can be connected to some of the most important historical monuments :flowers:
I mean,I just like the whole idea.

Had Princess Irene ever have any boyfriend or fiance?

I have never heard anything...

And she was very pretty in her youth, much more than Sofia I think...

Princess Irene was connected with someone for many years.I don't know if they are still a couple,though.

I think he's been dead for quite a few years, though.

I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this question - maybe you, iakynthi, or another Greek member or someone like Odette who seems very familiar with the families in the 1960s and 70s. What was/is the relationship like between Queen Anne Marie and Princess Irene? They're close in age and surely spent a lot of time together in the early years of Constantine and Anne Marie's marriage, but on the other hand I have the impression that the marriage itself was somewhat difficult in its early years.

Also, how is the name Irene pronounced in Greek? I've seen it spelled Yriny.

Oh Maura!! 60's and 70's seem like ages ago!!!!!!!!!
Princess Irene or IRINI as it is spelt in Greek had a romantic involvement when she was young but the gentleman (rumours circulated for years) was a Greek citizen and not a noble, aristocrat or royal so Queen Frederika did not allow it to blossom. Later in exile she was linked twice but again there were no pictures or declarations or denials. Rumours and talk in magazines and newspapers.
I suppose it is anyone's guess. She has devoted her life to charity and does wonderful work.
During the early years in Athens when Q Sofia lived in Spain, Princess Irini spent her time with the GRF. Later on she went to India with her mother, then returned to Spain. She seems very close to Princess Alexia Paul and Nicholaos. By all accounts her relationship with Q Anne Marie is a very amicable one. There have never been any rumours of discord.
Q. Anne Marie's and K Constantine's marriage was not difficult at the early years in Greece. Things got a bit tense after their exile and while they lived in Italy.
Now they seem like a couple very much in love as the early days and they seem very happy together.

Yes,I think Anna-Maria and Irini are true friends and not just sisters-in-law.The name Irene (Ειρήνη in Greek) means "peace" and it is pronounced Irini,as Odette said above and "i" is pronounced like in the word "give".

Thank you! Are all 3 i's pronounced the same way, or is the last one pronounced as an e? Having the long e sound at the end just sounds much more natural to me, but of course I'm not Greek.

The 3 i' s are pronounced in the same way, i-ri-ni.

I read an old interview of Princess Irene, she spoke about the question of why she hadn´t married. She said that never she had felt the necessity to marry because She chose to dedicat her life to works of charity and humanitarian work. I think that she thinks humanitarian work are incompatible with training a family, because if you dedicate yourself to humanitarian works, like her, you cannot spend the necessary time to your family.
In the interview she said she lived half the year at Zarzuela Palace and the other half in London at the home of the Kings of Greece, before her mother died, they lived in India

She is very religious and she believes in the appearances of the Virgin, the spirits, she thinks that it is possible to speak with the deads, I remember that she spoke envelope that years after the death of her father King Pavlo, she heared as he spoke her….She felt his presence

I wouldn't call that "religious",but "spiritual".She's a spiritual person that wanted to experience different things than the average person.Did you know that there were rumours in the past,here in Greece,that Princess Irene was not that well(mentally,I mean),because of that?It's so difficult for common people to understand.Of course,these rumours have stopped a long time ago.

In the interview of Princess Irene, which I spoke earlier,she said that about 1976 she and her mother decided to move into India, with the end to know the philosophy and Eastern religions, they lived in the city of Madras, where they bought a floor, they received the teachings of Professor Mahedevin and they knew Teresa of Calcuta .Hers two passions, music and comparative philosophy.

I have been looking the royal celebrations and Princess Irene is not going to any , but I have found one exception (Exception family) , she went to the wedding of Alexandra of Denmark, daughter of Princess Benedikte and to the funeral by Queen Ingrid of Denmark and to the celebrations of the royal family of jordan

Two pictures of Princess Irene:

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr144/llerana/irene-2.jpg

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr144/llerana/irene001.jpg

this picture is the engagement of Princess Alexia of Greece and Carlos Morales, the image is, the family of Carlos, the family of Greece and spain and Queen Daisy of Denmark and Princess Irene​

Belt,could you be more specific about the celebrations of the JRF Pr.Irene has attended?I was generally curious to know what was the relationship between the two RFs.All I know is that the late King Hussein had offered one or two of his airplanes to the GRF to come to Greece in 1993.It would be interesting to know more about their relationship.

the relation between the real families of Greece and Jordan comes from the first stage in exile of King Pavlo and his brother king George. They had friendship with king Talal, between both families were created businesses.
when Greece was invaded by the Nazis, the Kings of Greece and their two children Sofia and Constantine left the country with the aid of the Jordanian Royal Family. Princes Sofia and Constantine knew in their exile in Egypt to king Hussein, they were small.
Hussein and their family were invited in several occasions to the palace of Corfu in summer.

Hussein was to the wedding of Kings of spain, Kings of greece and Prince Pavlo and Noor was in wedding of Alexia, and the Royal family of Greece was in the celebrations of jorrdanian .....I remenber to Princess irene in the wedding of Rania...and princes Pavlo and Nikolaos and princess Irene were in the wedding in 2004 of the son of Noor....................

In the funeral of Hussein were the Kings of Greece, the princes Pavlo, Nikolaos and Irene....
The Arab clients of the business of Pavlo of Greece are of Jordan.......:cool:

Belt,thank you for enlightening us :flowers: Well,I didn't have a clue that their friendship dated back to 1941.That was an interesting history lesson :books:

I see that you have liked the today lesson, but I can not approve to you ... Ohhhhhh! this was not exactly in 1941, it was later on 1945, at the end of exile, but their families were known since 1924.

Hussein was to the wedding of Kings of spain, Kings of greece and Prince Pavlo and Noor was in wedding of Alexia, and the Royal family of Greece was in the celebrations of jorrdanian .....I remenber to Princess irene in the wedding of Rania...and princes Pavlo and Nikolaos and princess Irene were in the wedding in 2004 of the son of Noor....................

In the funeral of Hussein were the Kings of Greece, the princes Pavlo, Nikolaos and Irene....
The Arab clients of the business of Pavlo of Greece are of Jordan.......:cool:

King Hussein & Princess Muna attended the wedding of King Konstantinos & Princess Anne-Marie but none of them attended the wedding of Infante Juan Carlos & Princess Sofia. Maybe other Jordanian Royals were in Athens in 1962 but certainly it wasn't King Hussein.

In the funeral of King Hussein, I know from Greece attended King Konstantinos & Queen Anna-Maria, Crown Prince Pavlos & Crown Princess Maria and Prince Nikolaos. But in the website with the foreign royals and other representatives present in the funeral there was no mention to Princess Irini.

I think she was at the funeral of Hussein, because I remember that she traveled in the same plane with the Kings of Spain, when Noor received the sympathy of women that attending to the funeral, I remember a images of tv in which the Queen Ann Marie hug to Noor and behind her was the Princess Irene.
The wedding Constantine and Ann Marie, it was very sure that he was, I haven´t doubt of it because I have pictures of this, I thought that he was also in the wedding of Queen of Spain but I have doubt about it.
Now I am sure that some member of the Royal House of Jordan was in the wedding of Queen Sofia.........

There are three videos on youtube with Princess Irene.They are parts of the interview she gave sometime ago to mega channel.I don't know how you post videos from you tube but if you type,protagonistes i agnosti prigkipissa, on the search machine of
youtube the videos come up.

I would assume that's Tatoi from the footage at the empty swimming pool.

I recognize the big urns around the swimming pool from an engagement party for JC and Sofia. The place looks so unkempt now, it must be sad for them to see it like that.

Yes, it is from Tatoi, i 've seen the footage at the greek Tv channel "Mega" last year...

Well. hello everybody! :flowers:
This interview is already almost a year old.
Its purpose, I believe, was to show the Greek public there is a not-so-well-known member of the Royal Family who leads a not-so-royal life. Princess Irene is not what we could call a "typical" Royal.
Of course she is a King's daughter and a King's as well as a Queen's sister, but she's taken a different path in life, although she remains very close to her siblings and their families.
She answered some questions about the family life in Tatoi when they were young children and then she explained that she never felt the urge to marry and have a family of her own and how she studied Philosophy in India and what made her decide to create "World in Harmony", a foundation to aid poor countries.
She also talked about music, she is a really talented pianist, almost a professional and she works as a consultant for the "Megaron Mousikis", the Greek Concert House.
She also visited Rom camping near Athens bringing food and aid to the children and listening to their problems. A great Lady, a sweet person, she
gave me the impression of a really warm personality.

Thanks, mariazil! And welcome to the forums. :flowers:

I've always thought Irene sounded like a very interesting lady, and she must have had a fascinating life. So she never felt any desire to marry? That's unusual for the royal women of her generation, when princesses were pushed to make the most advantageous match possible - I've read her mother wanted her to marry Crown Prince Harald of Norway. I would imagine that caused a few arguments at home. ;)

Well. hello everybody! :flowers:

Its purpose, I believe, was to show the Greek public there is a not-so-well-known member of the Royal Family who leads a not-so-royal life. Princess Irene is not what we could call a "typical" Royal.

In fact, Eva Celada who wrote the book, "Irene of Greece, the Rebel Princess", says that the family (Spanish RF) lovely call her "Aunt Pecu", due all they think Irene is Peculiar, in a lovely way of course.

I do not like this book, it was more focused on others persons than in Princess Irene ...About the Greek television program that was broadcast at 00:30 pm, and closed ... The TV channel is focused on the humanitarian organizations .....

Back
Top Bottom