The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Courtier

At that time, it was still customary in royal circles that a bride took a dowry to her husband upon marriage. If that dowry was part of the marriage deal, and it probably was, it may have been the family's responsibility to provide it, not the government's. But that all depends on whatever arrangement was worked out between the families. I know that Anne-Marie came with a trust fund for herself and her descendents in place of a dowry because the Danish royals refused to pay a dowry, though. Sofia, however, was more traditional.

You can't necessarily trust what the Greek media says about their former royals because it's unlikely to be balanced or positive. If the agreement said Sofia had to have a dowry, then she had to have one. If the family couldn't afford it, they probably turned to the government and taxpayers to pay it. It's not the right thing to do, but royal families had been paying dowries from taxpayers' money for centuries.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Aristocracy

I agree. If the royal family refused the dowry it would be a slap in the face. You just can't do that. Royal marriages are more business deals then marriages.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:16 AM
Heir Apparent

09/05/2006
Prince Nikolaos of Greece & his girlfriend, Tatiana Blatnik attend the Dream Auction Full Stop party designed to launch NSPCC's There4Me online service, an interactive but confidential website providing advice, information and support for young people on issues such as bullying and abuse, at the Royal Albert Hall on May 9, 2006 in London, England.

from ukpress :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n1.jpg
Views:	1673
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	242615   Click image for larger version

Name:	n2.jpg
Views:	11157
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	242616  
Old 05-10-2006, 05:41 AM
Gentry

...The economy,at that time, was the healthiest there was since the establishment of the Greek state,and was promising 1000 times the dowery money in the next few years.So,it was clearly populistic purposes that this event took such enormus dimentions among the people...
Old 05-12-2006, 04:29 AM
Aristocracy

Tatiana isn't an official girlfriend. Nikos has always taken his girlfriends to family events. Before Tatiana there was Elle Mcpherson, Zoe, a spanish model who's name I can't remember, just to name a few.
Elle still goes to royal event from time to time.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Courtier

Sofie Egmont-Petersen

He took her to the wedding of Alexandra Berleburg in 1998. Not long afterwards they separated. I heard somewhere that she is now married to some other guy.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie
He took her to the wedding of Alexandra Berleburg in 1998. Not long afterwards they separated. I heard somewhere that she is now married to some other guy.
That's not the spanish model she's a danish. The girl I'm thinking of is named Ines Sastre (I remembered her after I log off :o ). That he dated I think around 2000.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalieurduCiel
...The economy,at that time, was the healthiest there was since the establishment of the Greek state,and was promising 1000 times the dowery money in the next few years.So,it was clearly populistic purposes that this event took such enormus dimentions among the people...
Oh please...people at that time had to leave the country because they couldn't make ends meet and you're talking about populistic purposes. That's quite an understatement! Giving Sofia 9,000,000 drachmas was, at the very least, provocative.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Commoner

Wasn't Nik also seeing Gwyneth Paltrow at some point?
Old 05-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha
Wasn't Nik also seeing Gwyneth Paltrow at some point?
I think this was just a rumour, like the one that linked her to Prince Felipe.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Gentry

"Nikolaos is their 'hero' because they consider him handsome and very greek-looking...." Then if that is the case, what's wrong with him? Why doesn't he get involved with philanthropic work and slowly get in the good graces of the Greek people? This is the perfect age. He's not too young or too old. Or is Nikolaos unaware of his popularity with the Greek people? I don't understand him and it'll be difficult to try to because he seems to be more quiet and private than his brother. But I would really like to know what is in his mind. Doesn't he want to take advantage of his popularity so that he could possibly have a political future in Greece?
By the way, the above quote is from reximperatorx. I just don't know how to highlight only certain portions of a quote so that is why I had to write it out.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Royal Highness

Someone has posted the clip of Nikolaos on 20/20 that aired a couple years ago. Here's the link!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Courtier

A few years ago he lived at Brown's Hotel in London. I've never read anything about him moving since then.

We drive on the right in America, so they drive on the left in England (It's the exact opposite of America).

IIRC, Nikolaos shoots at Gunnerside, the Yorkshire estate of Marie-Chantal's father. I've never read anything of him shooting (hunting in the UK refers to fox hunting) regularly with the Windsors, but the Windsors tend not to publicise their guest lists, so that doesn't mean much.

The major gun shops in the UK, like James Purdey and Holland & Holland, are located in London, so it's not unusual that he took his gun to a shop in London. He probably took it there to have some maintenance.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I meant the steering wheel is on the left side in American and it's on the right side of the car in England. I wasn't referring to which side of the road. I should've clarified myself better... sorry for the confusion. In the video, you can see that the steering wheel is on the left, so that tells me he was driving in America, but it said he took his gun to get fixed in a London shop, so I was just trying to figure out where the interview took place. No big deal. I'm guessing he did separate interviews and they spliced them together.

I don't have anything against hunting... my family goes deer hunting every year. But yes, maybe he does "target" shooting and not hunting.

I agree Ayesha, he's very handsome in this interview, and he does have a nice voice. It's a shame he's gained so much weight as it has changed his looks (especially his face), although he's still nice looking. So I guess he's not going to that upscale gym anymore (hehe).
I was wondering too why they abruptly ended the interview... just when it was getting interesting.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Also, I forgot to ask before... in the video it said he dated Elle McPherson. Does anyone know when he dated Elle and for how long? I'm just curious. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchat
I agree Ayesha, he's very handsome in this interview, and he does have a nice voice. It's a shame he's gained so much weight as it has changed his looks (especially his face), although he's still nice looking. So I guess he's not going to that upscale gym anymore (hehe).
Sorry, but I still think he looks gorgeous with the beard and weight gain. I've said this in a previous post.:) By the way, have there been any sightings of him during the World Cup? I think Prince Felipe was in Germany with his wife, Princess Letiza(sp). For our European posters, are there any pictures? Here in the United States we don't easily have access to pictures of the royals in our daily newspapers. We have to wait for Hello or Ok to come out and sometimes even those magazines are not easily accessable.

One more thing. I'll probably get into trouble for saying this but I would like to see him with another girlfriend. To me Tatiana (is that her name?) looks too much like his mom. His mother is wonderful and she is a great queen and role model, but I would like to see him with a more ethnic, darker looking girlfriend, like a beautiful exotic, Greek woman. Imagine him with a tall, dark, brunette Greek woman by his side. They could become a power couple and he could get back into the good graces of the Greek people and seek a political position in Greece.

Sorry if I talk nonsence and if I offended the Greek people of the site. I just had to get this off my chest since everyone at the site made such a big deal about Tatiana and her beauty. She is not my first choice.

By the way, I used to live in Switzerland and I had a friend from Australia who drove a car with the steering wheel on the right side, instead of the left side like they drove in Geneva. She had originally bought the car in Australia and had it ship to Switzerland. So perhaps he bought a car from another country and drove it into England. Don't know.

]
Old 07-04-2006, 12:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha
Wow! Not only is Nik devastatingly handsome, his voice is very sexy too! He was always my no.1 prince, based on looks - and now that I've heard him, I like him even more!!!
Watched the video and am hooked now, too! What a voice, and watching him go about his day, he's so, well, royal, in this sort of, hate to use the word, <inbred> way! What I mean is, he seems so well-mannered in a way that really would only come with being raised in the upper echelons of old money, which royalty is.

To top it off, he seems to be a genuinely nice guy! And definitely, it was shot in London, for the most part. That's where he lives, if he's working for the new foundation his parents established after they got some millions back from the Greek government for their lost properties there.

(by the way I hadnt realised this is what they are doing with the money they got back from the Greek Gov. They're giving it back to the Greeks thru this foundation! Despite the fact they dont' have much money themselves: their sources of income are still a mystery to me by the way.)

On a bit of a negative note, if I may, he doesn't strike me as hard working somehow. So he's working with the foundation now..but considering his dad is 'unemployed', why would Nikolaos need to help him? Is a bit vague to me. Also, the video seemed to reveal a life of leisure that's very expensive, not to mention his mercedes: what means does this prince pay all this stuff from? His salary from the non profit? none of our nosy business bien sur, but interesting all the same..
Old 07-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
On a bit of a negative note, if I may, he doesn't strike me as hard working somehow. So he's working with the foundation now..but considering his dad is 'unemployed', why would Nikolaos need to help him? Is a bit vague to me. Also, the video seemed to reveal a life of leisure that's very expensive, not to mention his mercedes: what means does this prince pay all this stuff from? His salary from the non profit?
The mercedes stroke me bad as well.. His whole lifestyle as it is presented seems to feed the rumors some have been circulating about him being 'helped' by the community of the Greek tycoons in London, some of whom have 'wished' that he marries their daughters..
Old 10-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Commoner

Anne Marie said she didn't think they would marry SOON. Soon is a relative time frame. Besides, even if he was going to ask her don't you think he would want it to be a surprise. . .if he told his mother he was going to ask her next Autumn and she relayed that to the press then there would be no surprise!
Old 11-18-2006, 02:42 AM
Aristocracy

Not all the time. I have friends that know where he is. They find out through gossip with other friends of theirs. Then we go looking and sometimes we find him and sometime not.

By the way, Tatiana is in Vanity Fair (December 2006 titled The Art Issue) well as Pavlos and the King ans Queen of Greece. Nikos isn't in the magazine but he was at the party for Taki's 70th birthday however according to the article it may have been for his ex-wife whom he is still very close to.

Closed Thread