Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_noblesse View Post
Mrs Blatnik ...
She isn't Mrs Blatnik anymore. In fact it is rude of you to call her by her maiden name, as she is now married.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen

She isn't Mrs Blatnik anymore. In fact it is rude of you to call her by her maiden name, as she is now married.
In some countries married women are known by the Mrs and their maiden names.... For example my friend who lives in Panama was Castro and now that she is married is Mrs Lewis-Castro .... Here in US my cousin who's maiden name is Frank is married by goes by Mrs Frank not her married name .... My point is maybe the poster didn't mean to be rude but it's a cultural thing- of coursei could be wrong :)

Old 02-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Gentry

@Sternchen I have never been rude in my entire life. With all due respect, you are mistaken. Mrs Blatnik is a very correct way to address Tatiana now that she's married. Miss Blatnik is not. This is an exceptional case obviously, as her husband does not have a surname of his own(at least his father refuses to adopt one, as far as I know), hence there can't be a formal type, a la Mrs X-Blatnik. Therefore, I assume that it would be fair enough if you kindly recalled what you previously wrote about me having not been courteous enough.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Commoner

Calm down, ladies. I assume you are ladies. :-D Sorry but I don't understand why it is rude to call someone by the maiden name?
Tatiana Blatnik looks fantastic. I admit I'm not much interested in the Greek royal family, but she and Marie-Chantal are stunning women.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
@Sternchen I have never been rude in my entire life. With all due respect, you are mistaken. Mrs Blatnik is a very correct way to address Tatiana now that she's married. Miss Blatnik is not. This is an exceptional case obviously, as her husband does not have a surname of his own(at least his father refuses to adopt one, as far as I know), hence there can't be a formal type, a la Mrs X-Blatnik. Therefore, I assume that it would be fair enough if you kindly recalled what you previously wrote about me having not been courteous enough.
The Prince Nikolaos has surname, it is in his danish passport and is "DE GRECIA", This is surname and is recognized Greek authorities.It is irrelevant that the Greek authorities recognize this, he has a Danish passport and this localism acting like surname
Old 02-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Gentry

@JeTe Voila, the voice of reason As far as I'm concerned, I have been treated impolitely twice today in this very same topic. It's logical to disagree but as far as rude remarks and attitude go, an apology is in order. As a philanthropist, I forgive people easily and try to understand the way the think and am always careful not to hurt their feelings in any way. I just expect the same understanding, whenever that is possible.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Okay...everyone go back to their corners.

La Noblesse - I dont know if this it the case, but in certain places if you refer to someone by their maiden name, when its clear that they are married, and they haven't requested to be referred to in such a manner...some might think you are being insulting. Its insulting if you are doing it on purpose to be rude. I.e. referring to Marie Chantal as Ms. Miller when she has been married for several years. Or Tatianna as Mrs. Blatnik. In American culture, Mrs. Blatnik is Tatianna mom (or her mom's former name as she is remarried).

Now if in the Greek culture, Tatianna (upon her marriage) has assumed the name Mrs. Blatnik...that is fine. Of course, its understandable that we (who are not Greek) might not be familiar with that. It is assumed, however, that she is HRH Princess Nicholas of Greece and Denmark. And Mrs. Blatnik is still her mom's former name.

Does that make sense?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Gentry

@BELTRANEJA I assume you are referring to the same old story we all have heard of, more or less. The family adopted "De Grecia" to go through all these typical procedures in order to get the passports they've longed for. I suspect that if someone ever called Tatiana "Mrs De Grecia-Blatnik" would receive the same indelicate responses, if not worse, as I already have. Therefore, beware!

@Zonk It makes perfect sense to me. People should realize that we could talk, give explanations to each other, analyse things, before calling someone rude. We are not here to adopt the American way of thinking and conform to one group's social behavior or culture. We are here to communicate, share thoughts, become better people.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Commoner

How tricky! I read here that she is not Princess Tatiana but Princess Nikolaos? Come on, that is pretty confusing. :-S lol
Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The royal website calls her Princess Tatiana, however seeing as she isn't a Princess in her own right she should be known as Princess Nikolaos.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Commoner

*even more confused now* Is it their own website that calls her Princess Tatiana?
Old 02-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
@BELTRANEJA I assume you are referring to the same old story we all have heard of, more or less. The family adopted "De Grecia" to go through all these typical procedures in order to get the passports they've longed for. I suspect that if someone ever called Tatiana "Mrs De Grecia-Blatnik" would receive the same indelicate responses, if not worse, as I already have. Therefore, beware!
No it is not an old story that I've heard, it was told by government spokesman of Goverment of Greece in February 2002 when the King traveled to Greece, the spokesman responded to the insistent questions of journalists and he said that in the passport used by ex King in Italy airport it was "danish and with this "surname""
Old 02-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Gentry

@JeTe It's true. Same goes for Princess Marie-Chantal, in fact her title is Crown Princess Pavlos. You are wondering why? Because the ladies didn't have titles of their own, they were born commoners, as we say. And why does that happen, when royals marry commoners? Ne pas se soucier.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I believe it is their own website, i'm trying to load the page but it won't work unfortunately.

EDIT - http://www.greekroyalfamily.org/prof...119&get=family
http://www.greekroyalfamily.org/index.cfm?get=family
Old 02-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Commoner

;-) @La_Noblesse

Merci, Lumutqueen. I will check it out.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Serene Highness

You do not get offended Noblesse. you're prosecuting to Tatiana by exploiting the title of princess, but you make a mistake, have you seen the picture you use to profile? Do you think what in this photo are well positioned Prince Paul and Princess Marie Chantal? I think not.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Serene Highness

According to the website of the DRF:

Quote:
Nikolaos, Prins af Grækenland og Danmark, født i Rom den 1. oktober 1969. Prinsen giftede sig i august 2010 på den græske ø Spetses med Tatiana Ellinka Blatnik, herefter Prinsesse Nikolaos. Prinsessen er født den 28. august 1980 i Venezuela.
Quote:
Nikolaos, Prince of Greece and Denmark, was born in Rome on 1. october 1969. The Prince got married in August 2010 on the greece island Spetses with Tatiana Ellinka Blatnik, now known as Princess Nikolaos. The Princess was born on 28. August 1980 in Venezuela.
Kongehuset - Kongehuset

Same goes for Pavlos and Marie Chantal

Quote:
Pavlos, Kronprins af Grækenland, Prins af Danmark, født 20. maj 1967 på slottet Tatoi ved Athen, Grækenland. Kronprinsen giftede sig i 1995 i London med Marie-Chantal Miller, herefter Kronprinsesse Pavlos. Kronprinsessen er født 17. september 1968 i London.
Quote:
Pavlos, Crownprince of Greece, Prince of Denmark, born 20. May 1967 at castle Tatou in Athens, Greece. The Crownprince got married in 1995 in London with Marie-Chantal Miller, now known as Crownprincess Pavlos. The Crownprincess was born on 17. September 1968 in London.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Gentry

@BELTRANEJA Oh do tell! I didn't notice anything weird about the picture.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

This picture will serve as an example, they are the Kings of Greece

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1298332273

In the foreground is the King and in background the Queen consort

In picture of Princes Pavlo and Marie Chantal, in foreground is consort and after the Crown Prince
Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Now if in the Greek culture, Tatianna (upon her marriage) has assumed the name Mrs. Blatnik...that is fine. Of course, its understandable that we (who are not Greek) might not be familiar with that. It is assumed, however, that she is HRH Princess Nicholas of Greece and Denmark. And Mrs. Blatnik is still her mom's former name.

Does that make sense?
After the law change in 1983 here , it is mandatory for married women to keep their maiden name, because a person last name is , according to the lawmakers, an essential part of a person 's legal indentity and should not be easily subject to changes - they could use their husband's name only socially. This was considered a very important step towards gender equality .So it became a difficult procedure for married women to change their last name . After 2008 the law changed and enabled women to add more easily their husband's last name to their own, but the maiden name is still there (this change btw caused a fair amount of controversy, since it was cosnidered a backwards thing to do ). My point is, that for the last 28 years , a woman is nearly always carrying her maiden name here and this of course has an impact in the society.
In the case of Tatiana , if she was Greek she would now be legally Tatiana Blatnik or Tatiana Blatnik- de Grecia, but she would not stop being a Blatnik in any case - not only legally but also socially, because that is the social norm here. So if a Greek refers to her as Mrs Blatnik it is because according to our society's habits ( clearly the Greek laws do not apply to her ), she is still a Blatnik , even if she is married to Nikolaos, it is not an attempt to being rude or making fun of her.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince nikolaos, princess tatiana of greece, royal house of greece