Languages of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queens

Gentry
There is an interesting discussion in the little Princes and Princesses thread about about MC's kids speaking Greek... this made me wonder about what other langauges that the greek royal family know besides english and greek? I know that Nik knows spanish and so does Alex... but what about the rest what langauages do they know?? If anyone knows please do tell ...

Thanks

Anne-Marie speaks Danish and German as well. I believe Constantine and his sisters were taught German by their mother. MC speaks French.

Anne-Marie speaks French as well - and all of their children probably knows some Danish :)

H.M King Constantine..

speaks 8 languages:7 (read,speak,write) and Arabic only to speak

8 langauges?? What is the eight one ...1.English, 2.Greek, 3.Danish, 4.French, 5.German, 6.Spanish and You said 7.Arabic ,,,

thanks

wow ! he must have a real talent for languages then! Does anyone know at which level he speaks/writes those languages...cause i really don't think he can be perfect in all those languages

Queens said:
8 langauges?? What is the eight one ...1.English, 2.Greek, 3.Danish, 4.French, 5.German, 6.Spanish and You said 7.Arabic ,,,

thanks
Italian? After all the GRF lived there for a while...

what about the others....

does anyone know what other languages the others in the family speak ???
Thanks

Queens said:

thanks

Greek language is is H.M language,so you can exapt it!Add Italian, Romanian,but I dont know what level!!

kelly9480 said:
Anne-Marie speaks Danish and German as well. I believe Constantine and his sisters were taught German by their mother. MC speaks French.
where did you ever see a cite that MC speaks French? Where would she have learned it?

MC speaks french because she lived and studied in Paris .....

i think the royal familly speak frensh english and spanish those are the perfect spoken language plus arabic wish is the first .

why?

I want to know why they learned to speak Arabic.. the other languages are some of the languages that their relative/friends speak... but why Arabic?? Is there a reason or did they learn it for fun?? Just curious....

Thanks...
Q

kil said:
MC speaks french because she lived and studied in Paris .....
When? I just don't see her studying anything, really. And I'm sure you can live in Paris without learning French.

Queens said:
I want to know why they learned to speak Arabic.. the other languages are some of the languages that their relative/friends speak... but why Arabic?? Is there a reason or did they learn it for fun?? Just curious....

Thanks...
Q
I think King Constantine speaks only,but Idon't know why!I guess he does because of friendship with late King Hussein of Jordan.....

Bubbette said:
When? I just don't see her studying anything, really. And I'm sure you can live in Paris without learning French.
Marie-Chantal was a student at the Le Rosey school in Switzerland from 1977-1982, where students are required to master both English and French. Marie-Chantal then attended the Ecole Active Bilingue in Paris from 1982-1986, so she studied French for approximately nine years and resided in Paris for several years as well. Why wouldn't she speak French?

DKgirls said:
Anne-Marie speaks French as well - and all of their children probably knows some Danish :)
They might know some Danish from spending summers with Queen Ingrid, but Anne Marie said in a biography that they didn't learn it at home. At home they speak Greek.

norwegianne said:
They might know some Danish from spending summers with Queen Ingrid, but Anne Marie said in a biography that they didn't learn it at home. At home they speak Greek.
It is my impression from occasional interviews with the Greek princes and princesses in Danish television, that they don't speak much Danish. Sometimes they say two or three words, but than they quickly start speaking English. However, understanding a language is something quite different from speaking it.

StefanievonRantzau said:
Marie-Chantal was a student at the Le Rosey school in Switzerland from 1977-1982, where students are required to master both English and French. Marie-Chantal then attended the Ecole Active Bilingue in Paris from 1982-1986, so she studied French for approximately nine years and resided in Paris for several years as well. Why wouldn't she speak French?
Thank you. I just don't see her as bright enough to learn another lanugage. otoh, she married into a title.

Bubbette said:
As a french, I advice you to learn french if you want to live in Paris :p
Even if it's a capital, with a looot of tourists .... you should speak french, I mean for your everyday life ! ;)

kil said:
As a french, I advice you to learn french if you want to live in Paris :p
Even if it's a capital, with a looot of tourists .... you should speak french, I mean for your everyday life ! ;)
I confirm the advice!!!Even if they know English they pretend they don't!!!Just incase you need help go to a crepe kiosk where you surely find the Greek,so,he defenetaly speaks english!

Bubbette said:
And I'm sure you can live in Paris without learning French.
Can you really? I haven't lived there but stayed there for a while and it was impossible to manage in english! ;)

I have met a few people who have said that they lived in Paris without learning English. At the same time, I have also heard a few horror stories of people who didn't know French and found themselves a little lost. I would still suggest that anyone moving to a country that they are not familiar with learn the basics of that country. There is really no reason to be completely ignorant.

laskaris said:
I think King Constantine speaks only,but Idon't know why!I guess he does because of friendship with late King Hussein of Jordan.....

I don't think that this is the reason of king Constantine learning arabic,if king hussein was speaking english with his own sbillings:king abdallah speaks barly arabic,and he learned it just lastly and still speak it with an interesting accent! so think K.H. would not speak with king C. arabic till making him learning how to speak arabic:) !

I know that there's many royals who learned arabic,like P.alexia of greece and others,learning complex languages like arabic or japenese, is a such as mark and form of prestige and being polyglot is and was a caracter of people of jet-set and "haute société"!:)

Last edited:
Monalisa said:
I don't think that this is the reason of king Constantine learning arabic,if king hussein was speaking english with his own sbillings:king abdallah speaks barly arabic,and he learned it just lastly and still speak it with an interesting accent! so think K.H. would not speak with king C. arabic till making him learning how to speak arabic:) !

I know that there's many royals who learned arabic,like P.alexia of greece and others,learning complex languages like arabic or japenese, is a such as mark and form of prestige and being polyglot is and was a caracter of people of jet-set and "haute société"!:)

Arrigatoooo!!!!:D

Monalisa said:

What language does Princess Alexia know?

SpiffyBallerina said:
What language does Princess Alexia know?

I read that in the french magazine "Point de vue",she knows six:

Greek of course,french,english,italian,arabic and japenese!

Monalisa said:
I read that in the french magazine "Point de vue",she knows six:

Greek of course,french,english,italian,arabic and japenese!

Greek is Her native language-doesn't count-so,English,Spanish,Danish,Italian,French and as I heard in this forum arabic and japanese:D :eek:

Thanks for the info Monalisa!

I don't think Princess Alexia speaks Danish though, laskaris. She might be able to understand some of it, but I've never heard of her or her siblings being able to speak it.

Back
Top Bottom