The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-18-2009, 04:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
I think also that Pc Felipe does not speak Greek. Some years ago he was in Greece for a regata, he gave an interview and he spoke in English. He did not say a single work of Greek.

But Queen Sofia definitely she does speek Greek
In that interview, which was back to...1998, he was asked in English, and spoke in English.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Philip of Spain does not speaks Greek .. The Greek journalist first asked him in Greek, and then he replied that he did not spoke Greek ..it was true..

Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think also that Pc Felipe does not speak Greek. Some years ago he was in Greece for a regata, he gave an interview and he spoke in English. He did not say a single work of Greek.

But Queen Sofia definitely she does speek Greek
Queen Sofia speaks Greek fluently and I know that since she studied at university there in Athens in her youth she reads and writes it too.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Aristocracy

Queen Sofia speaks rusted Greek - understandably so after so many years of absence and non-use. Modern Greek is a mix of several types and very tough to handle correctly, even university professors get caught making serious mistakes.

By the way, Queen Sofia never studied at the University of Athens or anywhere in Greece. She did attend, however, an institute-level (higher education) school for the care of babies and orphan-babies.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Nobility

it is true, she studied in the Mitera school..
Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by roimat View Post
In that interview, which was back to...1998, he was asked in English, and spoke in English.
The interview was given for the Greek Television. Consequently the first trial to speak would have been in Greek. But as Prince Felipe was not speaking Greek, the journalist spoke english.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Aristocracy

Anyway, Constantine, Irene, Pavlos, Alexia and Nikolaos are well versed in all types of Greek, from formal to colloquial. And that is that.
I, in fact, feel quite touched, when I hear Constantine speak English because he does so with a Greek accent and occasionally he translates from Greek to English.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would love to hear a video of Constantine speaking english if anyone can post one? Thanks in advance....
Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Serene Highness

Patra, on the website of the Greek royal house is this interview, it is of last year that Constantine granted the journalist Sir David Frost, he spoke of the riots that took place last year in Greece.

The Greek Royal Family - News & Media
The Greek Royal Family - News & Media
Old 07-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

There are serbian,montenegro,albania,romanian,russian,iranian Princes in exile or not but they all speak their languages and try to teach to their wifes and children.Prince Pavlos is an exception?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
There are serbian,montenegro,albania,romanian,russian,iranian Princes in exile or not but they all speak their languages and try to teach to their wifes and children.Prince Pavlos is an exception?
Do they live in there own countries?
Were they born there?
Apparently the whole greek family is an exception to your rule.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Albanian Crown Prince is born in exile , the Serbian Princes are born in exile, Crown Princess of Romania was born in exile...but they speak their languages.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
The Albanian Crown Prince is born in exile , the Serbian Princes are born in exile, Crown Princess of Romania was born in exile...but they speak their languages.
Well they are the obvious exception to your rule.
But i stand by my opinion.
However this is the thread about there engagement.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
No, they not.
Not all of the Princes know the language of their ancestors country.
Unfortunately (history fault) most of them were born and raised in other countries and other cultures. After 1989 (the fall of comunism) they tried to come back and recover). Ones of them better then others.
About Greek Royal Family : I heard (read) that even Princess marie Chantal doesn't know greek language or the children. They stay two weeks per year in Greece so I don't think it's easy.
I doubt Tatiana will learn greek language (maybe some words) but if Nikolaos wants maybe his children will speak their father language.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiaE View Post
No, they not.
Not all of the Princes know the language of their ancestors country.
Unfortunately (history fault) most of them were born and raised in other countries and other cultures. After 1989 (the fall of comunism) they tried to come back and recover). Ones of them better then others.
About Greek Royal Family : I heard (read) that even Princess marie Chantal doesn't know greek language or the children. They stay two weeks per year in Greece so I don't think it's easy.
I doubt Tatiana will learn greek language (maybe some words) but if Nikolaos wants maybe his children will speak their father language.
Hmm thats odd..are the children of CP Pavlos and CP Marie-Chantal not going in the greek school in London ?
If they are they must be learning som Greek words..

Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think the children go to an english school in London.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Marie-Chantal either, did not learn greek.
She does/did learn Greek. Marie-Chantal once said in an interview that she is learning Greek but that it is an up and down and she does not always find the time, but picks it up again later, because of the kids, who btw are raised bilingual. Pavlos usually talks in Greek with them.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Nobility

^ I fully agree.For some reason i like all of the people that Constantine's children are married to :Marie Chantal,Carlos Morales and now i like her as well.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Aristocracy

I'd like that they would learn Greek, because I think that if they do not know greek, hardly their children will learn Greek in future.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Gentry

we mustn't forget that nicolas himself is still making many mistakes and misuses a lot of words. there's problem with his vocabulary mainly. i remember him at the interview the day of their engagement, when he used the word empathy instead of sympathy...these are huge mistakes, so my thought is that tatiana or their children in the future will face difficulties learning fluent greek near their father. i don't want to be unfair or disrespectful here. i know he rarely gets the chance to speak greek in london. it's logical.

gregory