The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Aristocracy

Constantino and Anne-Marie have spent their holiday in Majorca many times, I've also seen them on tv many times and tey speak English to one another.
Queen Anne-Marie also speaks English with Theodora and Philippos when they are in Majorca.
Alexia speaks Spanish without accent, she even speaks Catalan as she was living in Barcelona (I heard she on tv).
Pavlos also speak Spanish, though he is not as fluent as Alexia.
I never heard Nikos, Theo and Philip speaking Spanish.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Aristocracy

Alexandra never learned Cantonese despite being born and having lived in Hong Kong for almost 30 years. She speaks English, German, French and Danish. She learned enough Madarin for her speech.

MC studied French for years and is fluent. She also speaks excellent Italian in addition to her limited Greek.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Gentry

I heard MC speaking French in TV few years ago and she was fluent. I'm sorry but I don't remember what occasion it was.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Does somebody know which language Queen Frederica speak to King Pavlos and her chidren ?
Was her knowledge of the Greek language fluent ?
She spoke french , german , english and greek ?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Courtier

In her book, she says she spoke German and English to Pavlos, German in person and English over the phone and in letters. She claims that they spoke Greek to the children, but I don't believe her, especially in Sophie's case, because I'm not sure how good Frederica's Greek was and because Sofia still does not speak it fluently. However, Sofia's German is flawless and her English has a German accent, so I think that's the language she heard from her mother as a little girl.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

she spoke those languages to her children so that they would learn them besides Greek.

And Frederika definitely spoke Greek, the Greek Royal family would have left Greece long before they did if they were not able to communicate with anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post
In her book, she says she spoke German and English to Pavlos, German in person and English over the phone and in letters. She claims that they spoke Greek to the children, but I don't believe her, especially in Sophie's case, because I'm not sure how good Frederica's Greek was and because Sofia still does not speak it fluently. However, Sofia's German is flawless and her English has a German accent, so I think that's the language she heard from her mother as a little girl.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with Susan Alicia...

too ,she learned to speak Hindi (the official language of India) and she learned Spanish, it was not very good, but she spoke it
Old 08-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post
Queen Sofia is absolutely fluent in Greek. Her mother might have talked to her in German (normal, Queen Federica was german!!) but she had received Greek education and atttended Greek schools. I have heard many times King Kostantin, Queen Sofia and Pcss Irini talking Greek, they are ABSOLUTELY fluent. They all have a slight heavy intonation, but any person has his own voice. If you close your eyes and you do not see who is talking, you will never distinguish them from other average Greek people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELTRANEJA View Post
the Queen Federika, she remenber me to princess Irene

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3046/federikaq2.jpg
This is Queen Sofia and IMO she looks a lot like her mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
And Frederika definitely spoke Greek, the Greek Royal family would have left Greece long before they did if they were not able to communicate with anyone.
Yes she spoke. With a foreign accent of course but she did speak.

It is always one of the first think a foreign royal bride has to do. To learn her new countries' language. Queen Sofia become fluent in Spanish, CP Maxima in Dutch, and CP Mary and Pcs Marie, both in Danish.

Despite all the good or bad opinion that people might have on Queen Federica, she was a disciplinate person, and hard worker. Consequently, of course she learned Greek.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Serene Highness

I think that we can speak a language very well but the accent the person cannot control it. When a person really speaks, she think that has not accent but the rest of person, are those identify the accent, they say "You aren´t of here"
Old 08-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELTRANEJA View Post
I think that we can speak a language very well but the accent the person cannot control it. When a person really speaks, she think that has not accent but the rest of person, are those identify the accent, they say "You aren´t of here"
Agree with you. Nevertheless it is not a shame to have an accent on a foreign language. People know that you have learned this language and that you are not a native speaker.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Serene Highness

I agree, it isn´t a shame ... a shame would be criticize to a person non native by having accent ...
Old 08-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Accents are not only a result of someone learning a foreign language but also where that person lives for a long time. All members of the royal family spoke fluent Greek.
Q Sofia was educated in Salem Germany after her schooling in Greek and she speaks very fluent Greek perhaps with traces of German accent. K Constantine speaks it like a native Greek. Queen Frederika has been blamed and accused for a lot of things but never for being unable to speak the language.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Gentry

Not only is Queen Sofia fluent in Greek but all three of her children can speak a bit of Greek too. Infanta Cristina in particular speaks it quite well, well enough to surprise those who happened to be sitting near her in a well-known restaurant in Athens. And let me tell you (being of her generation) I remember that , after finishing high-school in Madrid, she lived with the GRF in London, studying Greek in the Hellenic College of London.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Serene Highness

this is true, plus she lived in Barcelona with Alexia...
Old 09-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Gentry

Exactly!!! I also read in the Greek Hello magazine that she kept on having a Greek conversation lesson once a week with a private teacher! I'm a great fan of Queen Sofia and her family as you might have already guessed!
Old 09-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Nobility

I think that the Prince Felipe doesn´t speak greek. the queen sofia when travelled to Greece she said that she doesn´t uses it, it is obvious,She works more with spanish and english and i would say that with German
Old 09-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Gentry

It is true that in one of her (many) visits in Athens she asked to be excused about her Greek when she spoke in public because she hadn't been speaking Greek for years but let me assure you she needn't have done it, her Greek is really fluent, perhaps she has to think twice before she speaks but that is natural, she has been living in Spain for 47 years and of course she doesn't use it with her children, I didn't mean that when I said they know "some" Greek (although Cristina more than "some").
One thing I know for sure: during all those years she has been watching Greek channels via satellite (she said so herself) and this doesn't mean she doesn't feel Spanish enough, dear Iris1983! On the contrary she works with love for Spain and she has promoted the Spanish language and culture in Greece greatly!
Finally, let me tell you that Spanish is quite easy for a Greek-speaking person to learn and vice-versa (vowels and consonants sound the same, even some "frases hechas" in common with you) so it must have helped when she was a young bride, learning to speak your beautiful language. As for German, she must be fluent of course but in the book "La Reina" de P.Urbano (1996) she admitted that she rather hated it
Old 09-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Royal Highness

I once heard her speaking German in an interview. She expressed herself clearly but it was obviously hard for her, speaking slowly and struggling for the right words and grammar. After all, German has a quite difficult grammar and I don't think that she had much occasion for speaking it after she left boarding school in Germany. Actually I was quite impressed, although I wouldn't call it completely fluent.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Aristocracy

Queen Sofia of course speaks Greek as her born language. Also infanda Christine speaks Greek, i've head her myself once in Tatoi, at a comemoration service there.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIS1983 View Post
I think that the Prince Felipe doesn´t speak greek. the queen sofia when travelled to Greece she said that she doesn´t uses it, it is obvious,She works more with spanish and english and i would say that with German
I think also that Pc Felipe does not speak Greek. Some years ago he was in Greece for a regata, he gave an interview and he spoke in English. He did not say a single work of Greek.

But Queen Sofia definitely she does speek Greek