The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-28-2006, 03:30 AM
Aristocracy

I would have been very disappointed (esp in Constantino) if Theodora and Philippos did not speak Greek. I also think it's a bit unfair the flak MC seems to cop because she does not speak it.....People don't seem to realise that greek is a very difficult language to learn and those of us who have parents who both speak the language and who have been immersed in the language all our lives sometimes still struggle

Old 02-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Aristocracy

I have read that all of the Anne maries kids speak danish, spanish, greek, french and english at varied levels of ablity. Even in greek. I know that Pavlos doesn't speak it as well a Nikos.
All of the Sofia's kids speak spanish, greek, french, english and german.
Cristina speaks catalan (sp?) fluently and Felipe speaks is very well. I dont know able Elena. I know that felipe doesn't speak german well. I'm not sure about his sisters.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

I read in their official website that all of the elder children can speak Greek fluently. The last two are learning quickly. The family uses Greek within themselves. And that the whole family can speak danish.
http://www.greekroyalfamily.gr
Old 03-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Courtier

Where on the official site does it say the family can speak Danish? Constantine certainly couldn't in the 70s, which some believe had a bit to do with the family leaving Denmark for London. (Of course, the Danes weren't happy about their tax money going to support Anne-Marie's brood because they were Greeks, not Danes, and apparently made that clear.)
Old 03-19-2006, 11:51 PM
Aristocracy

I couldn't find were they said that on the site either. However they did change Nikos photo. It looks great. oh la la
Old 03-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
Where on the official site does it say the family can speak Danish? Constantine certainly couldn't in the 70s, which some believe had a bit to do with the family leaving Denmark for London. (Of course, the Danes weren't happy about their tax money going to support Anne-Marie's brood because they were Greeks, not Danes, and apparently made that clear.)
It should be under where Anne Marie's bio. Although I'm not sure about Constatine. The Danes support the Greek RF?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Courtier

The Danes don't have to pay for the Greeks. That was the problem. When Anne-Marie returned to Denmark with her children, she was living at the Danish taxpayers' expense and the Danes didn't feel they had to pay for her and her family.

Anne-Marie's bio says nothing about her husband or children speaking Danish. All it says is "The family speaks Greek at home and her three older children all speak Greek fluently. The two younger ones, Princess Theodora and Prince Philippos are learning very quickly."
Old 04-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Nobility

I'm not sure about Philippos but Theodora speaks fluently Greek,not like her parents of course but she surely does,i've heard her on tv.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Commoner

The Danes does not pay money to Anne Marie and here Family, because she is not a princess of Denmark any longer. When she married King Constantine she give up her reights to the Danish throne. The constitution say that only the members of the Royal Danish Family have reights to appanage. In Denmark she lived in her mothers house. Princess Benedikte is just fore a year or two ago getting appanage. She have pay the money fore her officiel duty of her one pocket. Sorry if my english is`nt correct
Old 07-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Commoner

The greek children speaks a littel bit Danish, only the oldest.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by birte_madsen
The Danes does not pay money to Anne Marie and here Family, because she is not a princess of Denmark any longer. When she married King Constantine she give up her reights to the Danish throne. The constitution say that only the members of the Royal Danish Family have reights to appanage. In Denmark she lived in her mothers house. Princess Benedikte is just fore a year or two ago getting appanage. She have pay the money fore her officiel duty of her one pocket. Sorry if my english is`nt correct
Your English is beautiful and far better than my Danish will ever be. Thank you for your information.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Aristocracy

The question is not if the family speaks Danish but if they speak Greek!
Old 07-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona
The question is not if the family speaks Danish but if they speak Greek!
As long as the title of the thread is Can Constantine and Anne-Marie's children all speak Danish, then the topic of the thread is that - and not whether or not they speak Greek.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The Danes don't have to pay for the Greeks. That was the problem. When Anne-Marie returned to Denmark with her children, she was living at the Danish taxpayers' expense and the Danes didn't feel they had to pay for her and her family.
Not so,HM Queen Anne-Marie was staying with her parents,not one danish krone of "precious tax money" went her way to support her and her family at the time.But this is slightly O/T.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:04 AM
Courtier

It doesn't matter who she was staying with, she was staying in a palace the Danes pay for, and that costs money. She was no longer entitled to benefit from the Danish taxpayers, and when she's staying in a Danish palace, she's benefitting from them.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Constantine speaks only English and Greek. You probably know that already, hahaha. ;-) You are spot on about the rest.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
It doesn't matter who she was staying with, she was staying in a palace the Danes pay for, and that costs money. She was no longer entitled to benefit from the Danish taxpayers, and when she's staying in a Danish palace, she's benefitting from them.
Does that mean that you donīt think she is entitled to vissiting her olde country any more?

Old 07-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
What about other royal guests, family or no family, they also "benefit" from the Danish people's tax money. If we should only "pay for" the royal families living in the specific countries they are royal family to, it would not be any fun, because it will mean that they can't travel anywhere, in order to not be "a burden" to any other country's people's tax money.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikkiB
What about other royal guests, family or no family, they also "benefit" from the Danish people's tax money. If we should only "pay for" the royal families living in the specific countries they are royal family to, it would not be any fun, because it will mean that they can't travel anywhere, in order to not be "a burden" to any other country's people's tax money.
That was going to be my next question :)

Old 07-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
Does that mean that you donīt think she is entitled to vissiting her olde country any more?
Hi, Good question.

I'm not Kelly, but I thought I would put in my two cents worth ;-)

Of course she is entitled. But the notion/optics of her and her brood living there (permanently or semi-permanently) at the expense (whether in reality or in perception)of her parents, who were supported by the Danish taxpayer, didn't sit well with the Danes.

There is /was no reason for the Danish taxpayer to help support -directly or indirectly -- a failed monarch, his wife, and his children. Anne Marie was no longer a member of the Royal House or in line for the Danish throne. Moreover, Constantine's politics were a problem for the democratic and egalitarian Danes. Bottom line, he was a liability for his in-laws due to political decisions made while he was King of Greece. That's why both he and Anne Marie didn't attend Margarethe's wedding, because it was felt that his recent actions in Greece would draw protest from the Danish public.

The fact of the matter is that monarchs and heads of state and governments (and, indeed, politicians in general) have to be politically savvy at to the kind of company they keep and who lives under their roof. And, at the time, the actions of Constantine's government were not popular everywhere. As sad as it may seem, it was best for the Danish monarchy for them to not live in Denmark.